Is getting married an option?

I have been staying in Thailand for many years. The last few on double-entry tourist visas. I have been going to Laos to get the visa, then getting 30 day extensions and crossing into Myanmar to activate the second entry. I am of an age to get a retirement visa but I can't quite come up with the 800K baht required at the moment. On my last trip to Laos, the officer was insinuating that I was getting too many visas and that I should get a retirement one. I was told that if I was married to a Thai, I would only need to show 400K baht in the bank. If I did marry my Thai gf what would I require to get a 12-month visa?

So sorry I may have been unkind.

Suggest you and your lady go to your local immigration office and ask what their requirements are for an extension of stay based on marriage.

Then visit the Amphur and ask about getting married ------they will help and guide you along the right path.

Best wishes

I don't see anything wrong at all with considering the visa situation in marrying a Thai lady you've been involved with so long! Not sure this is the place to come for morality lectures. The OP hasn't really suggested doing anything illegal. It's obviously a REAL relationship.

But not "Real" enough to consider marriage until the visa situation becomes problematic ?

Anyway the OP now knows he can seek help and information from the Ampur and Immigration.

Let us wish the OP well instead of getting involved in "morality" debates .

• Like 2

Have you been married before? If so you need proof go your divorce bring that with you, your girlfriend needs a tiabaan from her home to prove where she lives,then find a reputable visa shop go there the will tell you to go British embassy to get a affirmation to marry and I think you pay about 4,0000 baht to embassy, take your paperwork with you, next day the visa shop will take you to get everything translated from English to thai, then the arrange for you to go to the amphur which is like a registry office, if you don't have witnesses they will do it, two hours later jobs a guddin and your married, something on them lines anyway, best of luck. I did it last April piece of piss, chai yo..

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• Like 1

In order to marry you need an Affirmation to Marry from your Embassy. You then have to have it translated into English. It then has to be certified by the MFA in Laksi. The translation service can usually provide this service an post the certified document to you. I costs an American $50 for the letter from the Embassy, I think that the UK is more. Translation is usually under 1000 baht and the MFA certification is 400 baht (800 if you want express service. Once you get the document you go wife your wife and do the dastardly deed. Most Amphurs don't have a fixed charge for this service, it's "up to you". They will give you 2 marrigiae certificates (Kor Ror 3) and a marriage registration certificate (Kor Ror 2). Now you are officially married.

You have to apply for the marriage extension at the office responsible for your area. You need:

1 your wife

2. Copies of the KR3 and KR2 forms

3. Copy of the bio page of your passport

4. Copies of your present permission to stay stamp, entrance stamp, visa (if any), and TM^ card (departure card)

5. Copies of your wife's ID

6. Copies of her housebook

7. Proof of either 400k in a Thai bank in your name only that has been seasoned for 2 months - Letter from your bank preferably on the day that you apply, OR proof that you are making at least 40k/month - letter from your embassy + backup info.

They will give you an under consideration stamp (usually 1 month but could be shorter) and you will have to go back and to get the balance on the date stamped.

If you chose the 40k method you can get the letter at the same time that you gaet the Affirmation to marry from the embassy. Supposedly it's good for six months. If you are working in Thailand you can use past tax returns, etc.

If I miised anything someone will be along to give you their version. Good luck! I've been married to a Thai for 15 years and we really do love to hate each other!

• Like 1

Before you can get an extension you will need to get a non immigrant O visa based upon your marriage from any nearby embassy or consulate.

You can also do a conversion from a tourist visa or visa exempt entry to a non immigrant visa entry at immigration in Bangkok. You will need all the documents and financial proof for extension except that the money does not need to be in the bank for 60 days.

Unless you live in or near Bangkok I suggest you get the visa instead of doing the conversion because there is a very good chance you will have to make 2 trips to immigration because they often give a 15 day under consideration stamp before doing the visa/entry stamp.

Surprising that when the "visa" issue becomes problematic that "marriage" suddenly appears to be the solution !

Or that old favorite, the all-purpose ED visa

ED visa is probably an option too?

Start to learn the language some more, and stay legally?

Getting visa shouldnt be the motivation for marriage, i think. If you havent think of it and being together 10 yrs...

Realize you are asking technical visa question, not a life/morality question,although the way you've posed it here opens the door to "advice".

Good strategy would be to remove the visa factor from the marriage decision first, then ask yourself what has been holding you back from marrying her the past 10 years. Retaining your freedom? Protecting financial assets? Commitment issues?

If you can't ignore the reason(s) holding you back until now, then don't do it. Although honestly, you wouldn't be the first person on Earth to swallow their principles and marry for immigration benefits.

Chok Dee.

There's also an ad which keeps popping up on Thai Visa offering a retirement visa with no bank deposit required.

As it is on TV then surely it is more or less legal? thumbsup.gif

It is not legal.

Thai Visa has no responsibility for the Google ad's that appear.

Getiing married in Thailand is easy and divorce is also easy as it doesn't cost anything, you just walk away. If you have been together for 10 years, marriage is not an issue but you might have to get a letter from your Embassy that your are single or divorced for one and a half year I believe. Good luck.

Only for a woman is there a waiting period of 310 (?) days before she can get married again, because of if she is pregnant the children will b considered that of the (ex) husband.

But that waiting period can be lifted by the court or for example with a doctors attest that the woman is not pregnant.

You're not of retirement age and can't come up with 26K to put in the bank.

Go back to work, save up at least $100K so you can retire in a little comfort.

You'll have a monthly pension too, looks like your current plans will keep you

in the poor house even in Thailand..........

But he said in the OP "I am of an age to get a retirement visa.."!

And if he can't stump up 800k THB in his bank account he might be able to apply for a retirement extension based on the "combi" method of proving finances (Bank balance letter + Embassy income confirmation letter), as an alternative to marrying his tiirak.

It seems after 10 years, it's about time to get married if you really care about her!

I'm on a "Supporting Thai Wife" visa and I have used 400k baht in the bank without any problems. Note that requirements vary with office, officer's mood, and perhaps phases of the moon. in my experience, the money has to have been in the bank for 3 months for first visa and at least 2 months thereafter. Needed a letter from my bank with my name, acct number, balance and passport number. On the day you apply, deposit 500 or 1,000 baht and then make a copy of every page of your bank book. Since I have more than adequate retirement income, I have also obtained a form verification letter from my embassy which also worked well but cost a little more. There are a number of other requirements but they can vary, so suggest you get a list from your immigration office. Dress like a solid citizen and be polite (follow you girlfriend's lead), provide exactly what they request the way they request it. I've never had a problem, but I've seen the scroungy wise guys get tossed out.

Note that you can get a work permit with a Thai wife visa, but not with a retirement visa. Got bored after a couple of years so changed to Thai wife visa so I could legally work. I've been here 11 years and working the past 8 years.

I've been married for over 15 years and I couldn't ask for a better wife. Best of luck to you.

• Like 2

Marriage ? sounds expensive, but go for it. Some people pay for expensive weddings, others do not.

I really do not worry much about the visas, quite within a reasonable cost range. You are welcome to stay single as well, might be cheaper in the long run..lol

Never sweated anything about visas or residency issues... My gal and I been living together 2 years. Visa expenses are the least of my worries.

I cannot think of any other advantages here. Perhaps a tax break in the States for a dependant. (Registered Marriage).

I don't see anything wrong at all with considering the visa situation in marrying a Thai lady you've been involved with so long! Not sure this is the place to come for morality lectures. The OP hasn't really suggested doing anything illegal. It's obviously a REAL relationship.

But not "Real" enough to consider marriage until the visa situation becomes problematic ?

Anyway the OP now knows he can seek help and information from the Ampur and Immigration.

Some of us do not consider pieces of paper to be that important in a relationship. If you don't want to help, why bother posting at all? This isn't the general chat section.

Some of us do not consider pieces of paper to be that important in a relationship. If you don't want to help, why bother posting at all? This isn't the general chat section.

I do not believe anyone claimed that this was a "general chat" section.

Pieces of paper might not be important to some,until , shock horror , it is discovered that "pieces of paper" are needed when all other "visa" options have been exhausted.

The OP invited comment in the original post. smile.png