SIA to cancel 19 flights as travellers avoid Bangkok

webfact

All foreign airlines should follow suit as their own protest to the stupidity of the Thai protests. Take away the pacifiers until the babies stop crying.

nothing to do with the protests..their planes are half empty now work out the maths brains...ashford and simpson.......(solid as a rock)

Nothing to do with the protests? Why do you think the planes are empty? With the political circus going on the past few months, travelers have been pulling out by the plane loads. This is the high season for Thailand where usually you can't fly anywhere unless you've booked in advance.

I'm sitting here in the airport lounge in Chiang Mai flying back to Bangkok after just purchasing a ticket at the counter 90 minutes before the flight. It's unheard of under normal circumstances. Especially the weekend before going back to work after a major holiday.

Singapore actually has a travel warning out to Bangkok. SIA still does well to Bangkok because corporates like to fly SIA and executives of MNC's based in Singapore are not permitted to fly on LCC on business flights.

+1 you are spot on. Last year I tried even get a flight back before the long holiday and I couldn't even get a flight with Air Asia, Thai, Nok Air back from Udon to Bangkok. On the end I bought a bus ticket. Tomorrow I am flying back from Udon to Bangkok and every flight has seats available. I booked business class for just 2800 Baht on Thai.

• Like 1

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only thing Thais understand is money. Eventually, it will sink in.

Funny thing, Americans too understand money, BUT Americans do not have the courage the Thais have. Americans prefere to sit at home and let an illegal become dictator and destroy the country. So no flights have to be cancelled to the US

Edited by BlueSkyCowboy

One of the reasons i live in Thailand is because of the easy routes between Australia and Europe, if flights go astray i think i will have to re-think my situation here in this Land Of Smiles BUT

As Lingba writes

"once the income stops flowing they will finally wake up"

it will never happen,,

You want to know how smart the Thai government is, then read this brilliant strategy for trade in Thailand with other nations,, we import Portuguese wine to Australia and were interested in doing a wine trade show in Bangkok, it never happened, want to know why,, read on, but i will give you a spoiler,,,,

Thailand's wine tax was 400 per cent at the time (per bottle). Fearing that this would be charged to all the exhibitors at the fair, the company cancelled it.

People were only allowed to bring in to Thailand 3 bottles to exhibit?

Read here

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/business/TCEB-ready-for-lawsuit-over-scrapped-wine-fair-30190336.html

Also known as Bangkok Wine Fair 2010 Google it for more intriguing reading.

The stupidity that happens in this country astounds me,,, someone once described the government as like the three stooges ruling this country (am i allowed to say this? please delete if it offends)

Just looking at flights from Singapore to Bangkok for Air Asia and Tiger and you can see the drop in prices for flights from January 12 onwards. Plenty of one way tickets under 100SD. On this route not many flights are this cheap when booked less than two weeks out, normally you would expect to pay SD120-150.

Small point to note, but all airlines drop their prices after the first week or two of the new year.

The Christmas holiday makers are all back home trying to replace the copious amounts of money they spent here.

All foreign airlines should follow suit as their own protest to the stupidity of the Thai protests. Take away the pacifiers until the babies stop crying.

So your on the side of a Dictator Democracy

what a n oxymoron to come from the red shirts

Thaskin's assimilation was predatory; every Thai must be assessed to determine whether there biological and /or technological distinctiveness has been considered "worthy of being added to the Thakin Collective's perfection". If found to be so, the thai person (preferably from Issan) must be set upon and forcibly assimilated; the Thaskin Collective consider will of the people in this matter are irrelevant

PS we live in Issan and our village has not been forcibly assimilated by the Red Shirts yet as to many Thai ladies are married to the dreaded farlang

Funny thing, Americans too understand money, BUT Americans do not have the courage the Thais have. Americans prefere to sit at home and let an illegal become dictator and destroy the country

George Bush was an illegal?? But you are absolutely right he single handedly destroyed USA and many other parts of the world while Americans sat back brainwashed by scaremongering .. which eventually became a self fulfilling prophecy.

Good on these other country's citizens for having the guts to stand up for justice.

• Like 2

Unfortunately the people of Thailand have manifested this situation on themselves , there is no one else to blame, most have been taken for suckers with a political party, that in a good democratic country would be hard pressed to get registered let alone hold power , blinded by promises , untruths , bribes and riddled with corruption, they took the bait, now Thailand will pay the price, unfortunately a lot of good people will get hurt , before this little shin dig is over..bah.gif

Was Yingluck trained in Australia or ex PM Gillard in Thailand

"There will be No Carbon Tax under a Governement I lead"

Or is this just a female thing

The Thai Wife say's never trust a female at her word

and only a fool will put a female into politics

According to TAT, SIA are cancelling 10% of their flights to BKK, but the 90% still arriving are all carrying about 15% more passengers!!

So it is in reality yet another increase!!whistling.gif

Ok, but how full were all the flights before the protests? The other flights may be taking passengers who have had their flights cancelled but before the protests perhaps 100% of the planes were full prior to the protests and the only reason they can accomodate 15% more on the remaining flights is because they are half empty..

Can't see singapore airlines cancelling flights unless demand was down overall, why would they do it? It just doesn't make commercial sense.

• Like 1

Do you actually think Bangkok people give a rat's about a few tourists.Most will go direct to Chiang Mai or Phuket,and as seasoned travellers know,protests,what protests.Maybe time for a bargain.

A Thai mate of mine who works as a DJ has recently returned from Koh Chang after 9 months on the island. He reckons it's like low season, usually loads of Scandinavians, Dutch and Germans, only Russians and Chinese at the moment and not many of them. I went over to Laos just before Christmas and was surprised at the few tourists crossing over, though, plenty of Lao coming back. The quickest border run in 10 years for me. People can spin it anyway they like, the trickle down effect of the tourism $$ will hurt many people and those suffering will decide where the blame lies.

Funny thing, Americans too understand money, BUT Americans do not have the courage the Thais have. Americans prefere to sit at home and let an illegal become dictator and destroy the country. So no flights have to be cancelled to the US

Thank you, Sean Hannity!

Can't wait for Thai Airways, BA, Luft, all the Russian charters and the Chinese to follow suit.

The only high quality tourist that will arrive will be cockroaches.

Yes but according to TAT the percentage of cockroaches will increase by 25% annually. wai2.gif

Actually, for once!, not so:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/693790-thai-tourism-ministry-expects-10-12-drop-in-foreign-tourists-in-2014/

But I think this is being used for political gains. In one way or another. Travelers I have spoken to who have been arriving lately have mentioned fairly empty planes and hotels. Also an article in the Post mentioning how even PTP's financiers are getting tired of losing money.

It's all about Thaksin....

Many well informed commentators on the crisis would disagree. Delve a little deeper & open your eyes!

Can't wait for Thai Airways, BA, Luft, all the Russian charters and the Chinese to follow suit.

Yes but according to TAT the percentage of cockroaches will increase by 25% annually. wai2.gif

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/693790-thai-tourism-ministry-expects-10-12-drop-in-foreign-tourists-in-2014/

But I think this is being used for political gains. In one way or another. Travelers I have spoken to who have been arriving lately have mentioned fairly empty planes and hotels. Also an article in the Post mentioning how even PTP's financiers are getting tired of losing money.

Many well informed commentators on the crisis would disagree. Delve a little deeper & open your eyes!

Well, not sure who the well informed commentators are but i know that it is starting to make my International customers worry. it is clear to me that apart from new year celebrations (where it seemed very busy) it seems quieter here.

There are lots of negative things in the global press about Thailand at present, I'm sure i don't need to tell you what they are and no country is immune to this kind of publicity. it will eventually effect the prosperity of the country. This is surely not debatable, it is common sense.

• Like 1

According to TAT, SIA are cancelling 10% of their flights to BKK, but the 90% still arriving are all carrying about 15% more passengers!!

So it is in reality yet another increase!!whistling.gif

From what source do you get the 15% more passengers?

• Like 1

Unfortunately the people of Thailand have manifested this situation on themselves , there is no one else to blame, most have been taken for suckers with a political party, that in a good democratic country would be hard pressed to get registered let alone hold power , blinded by promises , untruths , bribes and riddled with corruption, they took the bait, now Thailand will pay the price, unfortunately a lot of good people will get hurt , before this little shin dig is over..bah.gif

Hmmmm.....so; can you trust a word that comes out of your wife's mouth ?

• Like 2

Just looking at flights from Singapore to Bangkok for Air Asia and Tiger and you can see the drop in prices for flights from January 12 onwards. Plenty of one way tickets under 100SD. On this route not many flights are this cheap when booked less than two weeks out, normally you would expect to pay SD120-150.

Plug in a search for a flight to pretty much anywhere FROM Bangkok and the prices drop from 12th onwards. Seasonal market changes and nothing to do with the current woes.

Hmmmm.....so; can you trust a word that comes out of your wife's mouth ?

Can i Quote you on that, to my wife ? The Thai Wife say's never trust a female at her word

Edited by redutedog1

I've delved very deep. Educate me.

• Like 1

Stayed at the Asia Hotel (Paya Thai Road, Bangok) for the last several days. The place was packed to the rafters with mostly foreign tourists (mostly Europeans from what I could make out). I'm sure that tourism is taking a beating, but SIA's situation may be unique. I suspect that most of their passengers to Bangkok are Singaporeans and other residents of Asia who may be better informed about the events in Bangkok. My friend visiting from Perth was clueless about the Bangkok protests but it does take a fair bit of news bandwidth in Singapore. Only speculating, of course...

That's funny: Since when is Phuket a less troubled spot? It is invested with Suthep's thugs. If Sutheps's Malay speaking criminals have ruined the Bangkok economy they return home to block the roads because nobody wants to buy their substandard rubber or they support insurgents who target schools, teachers, doctors and nurses and soon.... Phuket.

here we go!...once the income stops flowing they will finally wake up

No they won't ... Thai people never learn from the past

If people learned from past mistakes then we would have one hell of a perfect world.

Tell me what the difference is between one side taking all the money and power in the name of the PEOPLE and the other side taking all the money and power in the name of the ELITES who say they are acting for the good of the nation?

Maybe I am realy dumb stupid and daft because it seems SAME SAME to me.

• Like 1

To tragickingdom,

There is not much trouble on Phuket and not many Suthep thugs here.

I have in many years here not met any malay speaking people on Phuket and the ones I know in the south are not Suthep thugs.

I do think that You have never been on Phuket since You are so ill informed.