Air pollution levels right now in Bangkok...

dblaisde

I'm moving from Around Khoasan road to Lad Phrao. when I came to my new area in Lad phrao. I started to think hmm whats different. not noisy(my apartment used to be next to the big road. what more?Ohh here you can actually breathe. no big road close. but as soon as I walked 300 M to the big road it was more or less the same old story.

And so it continues. Today another thick white miasma visible as you look towards the horizon. Was out all day yesterday and by mid-day I suddenly felt compelled to clear my throat every 5 minutes or so. I noticed a burn that started in the upper portion of my throat and by evening my lungs were stinging.Thought I might have come down with a bug or something but this morning, nothing. Today I remain indoors in the air-con: for health reasons! Any relief to be expected? In two weeks I leave for Phnom Penh. If this continues I may push that date up.

Tried to get some pollution index info online but, as someone already said, the official http://aqmthai.com/ seems inaccurate; although it does report a 166 @ Rajabhat University.

This is week 2 of my 6 month stay in SE Asia. I hope I didn't pick the wrong time of year to come here.

• 1 month later...

It is heartwarming how everybody, rightfully, blame farming for the current pollution and not cars or other forms of the oil industry.

Not so many cars and factories up here in Mae Sot, and yet a blanket of haze so thick you can touch it dimming the morning and evening sun and obscuring the view of the mountains only 2 or 3 km away. 100% due to farmers up here.....