PCAD Threatens Krabi Airport Seizure

Lite Beer

PCAD Threatens Krabi Airport Seizure

13889065971388906825l.jpg

Anti-government protesters in Krabi province has threatened to shut down the provincial airport if Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra refuses to resign.

Mr. Detchart Damdee, leader of the local chapter of the People′s Committee for Absolute Democracy With the King As Head of State (PCAD), said in a press conference at Krabi′s Mueang district today that his supporters are ready to campaign in the province to coincide with PCAD′s "shutdown" of Bangkok on 13 January.

PCAD has vowed to occupy 20 major intersections in the capital city on that day to cause massive gridlock, out of hope that the move will pressure Ms. Yingluck into resigning from her caretaker position and scrapping the general election on 2 February 2014.

Mr. Detchart said some protesters in Krabi would travel to Bangkok to help "shutdown" the city on 13 January, but others would stay in the province to "escalate" the measure against Ms. Yingluck′s government.

Such measures include shutting down of roads, highways, or even airport, according to Mr. Detchart, adding that the shutdown would only be temporary in order to ease the impact on commuters and tourists.

Krabi′s beaches and seas are popular destination for many foreign tourists.

"We will discuss the matter the central leadership. If Mr. Suthep orders Krabi Airport to be seized, our will immediately do so," said Mr. Dechart, referring to PCAD leader, Mr. Suthep Thaugsuban.

He justified the possible seizure of these public transports by claiming that the election cannot go ahead as called by Ms. Yingluck because Thailand needs a drastic "reform" before any election can take place; PCAD leaders have demanded that an unelected "People′s Council" be established to implement "reforms" deemed necessary by the group.

"PCAD in Krabi insists that the caretaker Prime Minister and the Cabinet must resign to pave way for the political vacuum," and allow the "People′s Council" to take power instead, Mr. Detchart said.

In 2008 groups affiliated to the current anti-government protest leadership seized Bangkok′s two international airports for days as a part of their campaign against the government at the time.

Source: http://www.khaosod.co.th/en/view_newsonline.php?newsid=TVRNNE9Ea3dOalU1Tnc9PQ==&sectionid=TURFd01BPT0=

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2014-01-05

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This is a Khaosod report remember.

Most of its reader base in the red north. Same people who broke the story of the PDRC guard caught with the stolen police gun that nobody else bothered to print because it was all fantasy.

I always read Khaosod reports with my tongue in my cheek.

Shutting down Krabi airport sounds like a classic case of shooting oneself in the foot. The action will be a mere fleabite to the Yingluck administration, but it will impact heavily on the people of Krabi who rely on tourism for a large part of their income.

I'm really not sure what they hope to achieve with this. Even the mere threat of an airport closure will cause a lot of potential visitors to change their plans and go elsewhere. There seems to be a singular lack of nous among the protesters, and I can't see their actions in Bangkok and elsewhere garnering much popular support, given that it is the average Thai working man who will suffer and pay for their irresponsible approach to the situation.

Ha! beaten to it by both of you! :)

Edited by nisakiman

This is a Khaosod report remember.

Most of its reader base in the red north. Same people who broke the story of the PDRC guard caught with the stolen police gun that nobody else bothered to print because it was all fantasy.

I always read Khaosod reports with my tongue in my cheek.

Me too.

I find ASTV and the Manager for neutral.

• Like 1

Smart move by the stupid southern thugs. Not that any of them educated thugs work in the tourist sector, but just news like this will cause people to cancel trips to Krabi. The government may appreciate this now those planning to go to Krabi will go to Chaing Mai or other Issan cities.

Edited by Nowhereman60
  • Like 2

Oh Here we go again rolleyes.gifwhistling.gif

Perfect timing. Please shut down Phuket airport too so that the tourists from the high season need to stay here and our hotels and restaurants owners would be very busy. Perhaps they would buy properties here during the airport shutdown too. The weather here is very good indeed, please stay here and don't leave.

Take a look at the picture in the OP!!w00t.gif

Middleclass Thais in a peaceful protest?? More like rent a mob from the south.

And can someone please explain to me, how killing the countrys tourist industry is going to eradicate corruption??

And as for the PAD not being involved?? Look at the guys headbans!

Stupid, stupid pawns for not realising, that they are being used!!coffee1.gif

I am sure that Gen Prem and Sondhi Limthongkul are sharing a few good laughs during their round of golf today!!

Not long ago all posted it is the rich elite...do they look like rich elite? Than other posted it is only the bangkok middle class. Do they look like Bangkok middle class?

The south is furious against Thaksin and what happened at the rubber price demonstrations made it even worse. You don't need to rent a mob in the south

• Like 2

Smart move by the stupid southern thugs. Not that any of them educated thugs work in the tourist sector, but just news like this will cause people to cancel trips to Krabi. The government may appreciate this now those planning to go to Krabi will go to Chaing Mai or other Issan cities.

Or cancel trips to Thailand. Am staying at the Prom Ratchada which is a great value hotel behind the BIG C on Ratchadaa Road and always use it as our base when we come over. Last two years have had to book well in advance to get rooms - this year no problem at all and looks like it is less than half occupied.

Starting to get worried this could really get out of hand very quickly particuarly as we are at the sunset of a dynastic order that has served Thailand well for over 50 years. Pretty much uncharted territory I would say. Given up argueing or discussing with most Thai family and friends because most just don't want to hear about it or get involved and anyway we are just little people - que sera sera.

Was watching the Red Channel this morning and interesting to see they only show Suthep in close up in full ranting flow and then show crowd shots of empty seats (it was raining in one ) and close ups of people yawning or looking bored as if they were wtaching Suthep.

Edited by beautifulthailand99

Perfect timing. Please shut down Phuket airport too so that the tourists from the high season need to stay here and our hotels and restaurants owners would be very busy. Perhaps they would buy properties here during the airport shutdown too. The weather here is very good indeed, please stay here and don't leave.

Send Farangs and Chinese home! Close the airport!!

Last minute news for you in case you did not notice:

In spite of all the assembly plants owned by Ford, Toyota, Honda, etc. Thailand does not have a single car designed, built, sold and bought by Thais and you want foreign investment to get out of Thailand too?

Xenophobia!!!

You probably like to enforce the 12 Mandates of 1938 decreed by Pibunsongkran.

I have news for you: if the airports are closed, hotels will have to close, bars and restaurants will close, ancillary services and factories such as companies that make rear view mirrors, beer, linen and cleaning services, bar girls, and thousands of Thais that work for cheap in all areas related to industry and tourism will be sacked. No job, no money to feed the family. Tourism alone is between 6 to 8 % of GDP.

I can see that you love Thailand... You would like to see Thailand go into the toilet with your bile and Xenophobia.

Very good post!!clap2.gif

But you are asking the impossible here. You are trying to get a Thai to connect the dots!!coffee1.gif

• Like 2

Send Farangs and Chinese home! Close the airport!!

Last minute news for you in case you did not notice:

In spite of all the assembly plants owned by Ford, Toyota, Honda, etc. Thailand does not have a single car designed, built, sold and bought by Thais and you want foreign investment to get out of Thailand too?

Xenophobia!!!

You probably like to enforce the 12 Mandates of 1938 decreed by Pibunsongkran.

I have news for you: if the airports are closed, hotels will have to close, bars and restaurants will close, ancillary services and factories such as companies that make rear view mirrors, beer, linen and cleaning services, bar girls, and thousands of Thais that work for cheap in all areas related to industry and tourism will be sacked. No job, no money to feed the family. Tourism alone is between 6 to 8 % of GDP.

I can see that you love Thailand... You would like to see Thailand go into the toilet with your bile and Xenophobia.

Very good post!!clap2.gif

But you are asking the impossible here. You are trying to get a Thai to connect the dots!!coffee1.gif

As well as the many farangs who blindly support these irrational protests on this forum...

Sent from my HTC One using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1