Help me educate my daughter.

You're best to find out what is in the Thai curriculum first. Thai students cover a LOT of work across many different subjects, ranging from science, maths, Buddhism, social studies, dance art, music, PE, etc. They do these subjects right up to the end of high school. e.g. music and art are still studies by all students in the final year of high school. Kids do study history / geography / culture of other nations, but it's generally in high school when they do this. So I'd be inclined to start there. Thai students generally don't do a lot of hands on activities, so maybe you could follow along with their curriculum and supplement it with some experiments. Anything that will support what she is learning at school would be greatly beneficial.

• Like 2

''It is basically home schooling, but unformal, and with less time and pressure to get a set curriculum done''

I hope your not going to try teaching her too much grammar as it might be best to teach the teacher first. ''unformal'' = informal

I wonder if this is OP's first child? Its always the unfortunate first born that gets smothered in attention and love... sometimes too much and then it grows up with social problems.

You will wear the kid out if you keep up the above schedule for 7 nights a week. Let the kid be a kid.

My kid (3 1/2 yrs old) still goes to Thai school for now, but I make sure he comes late (about 8:30) and misses a lot of the BS these kids have to endure.

This conditioning shlt will stay with them forever, and when you look at the results in adults, you really want to avoid that as much as you can.

what do you mean by 'conditioning shit'?. Im sorry but I dont understand your post

I like the idea of mixing learning with fun activities as it removes a lot of the dryness which can make education stick in the throat of many a kid.

Though I wasn't home schooled, you could maybe try role-playing scenes. My dad used to write small scenes of historical events especially related to places we were visiting or learning about at school and we loved acting them out. Kids love dressing up and play acting - it will stick in the memory.

Good luck.

• Like 1

I think you're doing a fantastic thing here. I think the best you can do for your child, if possible, is to instill a love of reading in her. I'm not an expert, so I don't have any empirically-based suggestions other than to say make reading fun. Let her choose her own books, read together, ask her to tell you the stories back to you, etc etc. I don't know what happens in Thai classrooms, but I find that the adult Thais I know don't seem to read that much ... I suspect that comes from reading being made a chore in school. I think that if this is the case, you may be able to provide a counter-weight and show that reading can be an intrinsically enjoyable activity. I believe that helping her develop a love of learning will be ultimately more important than exposing her to a lot of knowledge (though I don't think that's a bad thing also... and your hands-on techniques would seem to encourage a love of learning also). Help her develop the attitude and tools, and you're ahead of the game. Just MHO.

• Like 2

You'll find most material for home schooling on a well-known bay website. Then let her watch English cartoons, easy books with Thai vocabulary as well. You'll find some good books at ED book stores.

They come in different levels. Then websites like Bangkok Post for young learners, etc....

Speak as much English you can, as they don't speak that much at school. There're so many websites,where you can learn all four strands for free.

But please don't forget that you've got a child. Keep everything funny and she'll love it. Good luck.-wai2.gif

''It is basically home schooling, but unformal, and with less time and pressure to get a set curriculum done''

I hope your not going to try teaching her too much grammar as it might be best to teach the teacher first. ''unformal'' = informal

I wonder if this is OP's first child? Its always the unfortunate first born that gets smothered in attention and love... sometimes too much and then it grows up with social problems.

You will wear the kid out if you keep up the above schedule for 7 nights a week. Let the kid be a kid.

Rather, the first-born "who" gets smothered. However, I agree you should supplement the Thai curriculum. It is key to keep it entertaining. Develop within her a love for books, of course, start with children's books, but those with subject matter that correlates to practical learning. The TV can also help--news, sports, history, discovery, geography, animal channels, etc. Show her your living expenses, let her learn the cost of things. Expose her to music and the arts--concerts, museums, libraries etc. Teach her politics, religion, languages, socio-cultural differences. And, do them in ways in which she experiences it. More importantly, spend your time with her and love her dearly.

Have a look at: brainpop.com

My kids loves it but unfortunately is is a bit yank oriented which takes a bit of shine off it but still a good site. It has some free content but to get the bulk of content you need to pay $99 a year.

I've got two sons who are going to a Thai school, and as a parent and English teacher, I understand how important it is to supplement our children's education. In most Thai schools, the students are taught very simple lessons, with little or no opportunity for discussion. Because schools have an unwritten policy that says students are never allowed to fail, few of them have any real motive to learn. So each year, they repeat much of the same material they have already studied.

What I suggest is that you instill a love for learning in your child by reading with her on a daily basis. Read books she can relate to, and which are at her reading level. Don't do too much teaching - just read, then discuss the pasage/chapter/story with her afterwards. Also, a good children's encyclopedia (I learned with Golden Book Encyclopedia) can be useful for teaching, as it contains interesting pictures and interesting short "stories" about historical events, places and people.

Aside from reading, go to museums, zoos and other places and do loads of things together, then be sure to discuss how things work, why things happen, etc. Everything is a learning opportunity, as long as it's fun or puzzling.

In fact, easy crossword puzzles, anagrams, cryptograms and other word puzzles, even maths tricks/shortcuts can make outstanding educational tools. Logic puzzles can be a fun way to increase I.Q. and silly jokes and riddles use lots of puns, which expand vocabulary and reading comprehension.

To improve pronunciation, search the internet for tongue twisters in each language you want your daughter to speak well. My sons have learnt three languages since birth and are at the top of their classes in each one, so it's not too difficult. Practice a different tongue twister together each day. The secret to good pronunciation (and speed) is in saying them slowly. Then offer a special reward for whoever can say it faster (without mistakes) after dinner.

• Like 1

How do you know your choices of education are not just propaganda and conditioning instilled into you as a child. Perhaps you will pass your demons on.

Maybe by passing through conditioning in thai schools children learn an inner peace similar to zen like incantations etc.

howver, show a child love and I'm sure you won't go too wrong. I'm sure kids are meant to be kids too, and not spend all day all weekend 24 7 undergoing teaching its like having to grow up too early

good luck op

My advice depending on where you live is take lot's of trips. If you are in the Bangkok area then take day trips to different areas of the city. Take a couple of days and go to Ayutheya (sp) Do things that are fun. In tht sense you can teach her about Thai history and different things about Thailand.

Get her comics and things that she can read. and teach her how to write in Thai and then in English.

Once she gets older start to ask her for her opinion. If you watch the news TV that is a way that she can learn.

Remember how you gathered info. From my standpoint things like Sesame Street are perfect for teaching different things. Also check out the khan academy.

I would encourage her to ask you (at least) 1 question each lesson. And, let her know that she can do the same at school - most kids here are absolutely shit scared to ask anything of their teachers, I think because they would hate to cause the teacher loss of face by asking something he / she could not answer.

Asked an EE (tech) student if they could ask teach which is the active and which is the neutral (checking some wiring on house)

Student absolutely refused, nearly went into shock at the prospect of asking T a Q.

I kid you not.

BTW, chok dee. School in the morning, antidote in the evening! (Or perhaps, vice versa!)

;-)

Edited by Stuart21