New 300cc bikes...how do they compare?

funcat

I just saw the Benelli 300cc bike and wonder how this compares to the new CBR 300,or Ninja...they did not have a brochure yet,so no specs,but the price is 129K Baht and the weight 170kg(?)....can anybody do the comparison,weight/HP ratio,prices etc?.....I'm on the market for a bike this size,but don't know much about them,specially about Benelli...Thanks

People have reported bits falling off ,bits breaking ,hard to find neutral these are on the 250 version,the owners still seem happy with them though,so if you like repairing/ replacing parts on a brand new bike it could well be the bike for you.engine seems reliable enough read some one has 9000 km on there's.

People have reported bits falling off ,bits breaking ,hard to find neutral these are on the 250 version,the owners still seem happy with them though,so if you like repairing/ replacing parts on a brand new bike it could well be the bike for you.engine seems reliable enough read some one has 9000 km on there's.

taninthai doesn't like bikes made in China, but he likes confusing things and slagging china bikes. He speaks about a Keeway bike, the RKV200. And he speak as if he know a lot but he doesn't even know it has 200cc. There are many china haters out here so be careful with what you will read here. Better test ride the bikes and look somewhere else for real information as long as there are no reports of owners. Sad but true.

Same for the Benelli 600cc. Better google and check the bike out yourself and do not rely on what you read here. Too many china bike haters here.

funcat, where have you seen the BN302? Is it already in the showrooms? I cannot say much about the bike as i never rode it. It may be a bit heavy, but imo thats no dealbreaker. I like solid bikes. Things like the double disc brake add weight of course. I like the styling.

Thanks wantan,I saw it in CM Central Festival today...looks really interesting,that's why I've asked you guys,but I guess now,that it is a 'new' bike,so maybe it is to early to ask.

It is the only bike they have here,so no test rides as of yet...

...so how about Honda and Ninja...any good?

They had the Benelli 600 at the BigC on Hang Dong Rd a few weeks ago. Looked not bad but apparently it drives not as well. Must have a dealer attached to these bikes somewhere, that may be able to arrange a test ride.

You are correct with that comment wanton,yes I don't like Chinese bikes don't know why you have such a problem with that,however I'm an not confusing things or slagging them off ,my comments come purely from what I have read from owners on these forums ,I thought it was quite a fair and true post I made there.please don't start dragging all this <deleted> up again.

Is your little alarm on your laptop playing up tonight ,it took you nearly 45 minutes to reply to that one.....555

P.swhat should I say yes there great super reliable hold there value and there has been no complaints from owners on this forum.........I am not here to b.s

Edited by taninthai
  • Like 1

Thanks wantan,I saw it in CM Central Festival today...looks really interesting,that's why I've asked you guys,but I guess now,that it is a 'new' bike,so maybe it is to early to ask.

It is the only bike they have here,so no test rides as of yet...

...so how about Honda and Ninja...any good?

Yep, the Benelli BN302 is new and not sold this moment. But i could be wrong.

> ...so how about Honda and Ninja...any good?

Of course they are good, what a question smile.png

There are hundreds of pages with battles CBR contra Ninjette. It doesn't really matter if 250cc or 300cc. The bikes are basically still the same. If you search for it you will find loads of information.

Imo both bikes are good. The more sporty guys like the Ninja more, the city commuters like the CBR. But not always like this, sometimes its opposite...

Well,I'm doing my research,that's why I came here....and you probably noticed,that I'm a 'newbie' in this forum,so grant me some slack....I've owned a couple of small CBR's,a Phantom,a Vulcan Classic....but now I need a daily commuter and short trips tour bike...and I'm on the budget,so...I'm looking smile.png

You can checkout the specification of the Benelli BN302 here http://www.benellimoto.com/eng/Catalog/Motorcycles//BN-600-302/Technical-Data-cd-834.aspx

On paper the Benelli has more power and it looks like it will handle well on the road, but all we have to wait and see until the motorcycle is really available at the dealers in Thailand.

Well,I'm doing my research,that's why I came here....and you probably noticed,that I'm a 'newbie' in this forum,so grant me some slack....I've owned a couple of small CBR's,a Phantom,a Vulcan Classic....but now I need a daily commuter and short trips tour bike...and I'm on the budget,so...I'm looking smile.png

I have a Ninja 300 and can't complain about it, great little bike, out of all 300's you've mentioned, it would beat the other 2 bikes, but it's also more expensive than the other 2.

If you're on a budget, look at the CBR, they can't be much more expensive??? I'm not into Hondas so I don't know the price for the new CBR 300.

I'd honestly look into a year old low mileage CBR 250, if you can't spend more than this, they're probably in the same rage as this new Beneli. Or wait and see if you can grab one of the brand new bikes that were bought and are being sold privately right after, the tax and insurance will already be included in the price and the bike itse;f will be at a discount price. These deals don't come very often, but they come, you need to check the classifieds section daily.

The Benelli is not really a sportsbike, I think we should see it more like a sporty naked bike. While the Honda CBR300R and Kawasaki Ninja 300 are clearly following a sportsbike design.

Personal, I'm not a big fan of naked bikes ~ while they look very good, you get very tired after long road trips... also the wind noise is much higher...

For big town traffic the sharp steering and light weight of the Benelli can be an advantage, but think the Honda and Kawasaki are not much different...

In the end it all comes down on what you personally like... if you're a sportsbike lover than checkout the Honda CBR300R or the Kawasaki Ninja 300, if you like naked bikes you should checkout the Benelli BN302 or the Kawasaki Z250...

The Ninja is a well regarded bike and having a heritage dating back many years makes it a safe bet. The Honda CBR250R has a good rep so the new CBR300R should be a decent bike with a bit more go than it's predecessor and IMO has improved looks. No one knows anything about the Benelli 300 so it's best to ignore any criticism about it until it's been thoroughly reviewed. I do think that if the Honda CBR300R is priced anywhere near it the Benelli will be a very hard sell indeed, just as the 600 is going to suffer following the introduction of the new Honda 650 fours. Don't forget that we should see the introduction of the Yamaha R25 this year and with it's high revving twin cylinder engine that's likely to put out between 35 to 40 HP looks like it's going to be a fun bike.

• Like 1

wait for cbr300r or or get a ninja300 or cbr500r - not much difference, 30 k between ninja300 and cbr500r and 500 series offer more of course.

also Yamah i think wil release a low tech 250 cc but if they sell it liek 90 k, it might be a good bargain.

dont get Benelli as it is a 196 kg!!! bike which is as heavier than a cbr500r somehow! besides, Benelli looks like a mixed bag with some flaws and problems.

Pay your hard earned cash to reliability and trust.

And be sure, you have ABS in your new bike, important in Thailand especially!

Edited by ll2

The CBR 250 and Ninja 250 were damned close. The CBR was better 2 up and in the city. The Ninja had the better top end and styling that boy racer Rossi wannabes liked. Raced prepped the CBR was slightly better.

HOWEVER Kawasaki really stepped up their game with the 300. Specs I have seen suggest a huge advantage HP-wise over the CBR300. Actually looks like Kawasaki rated it real this time rather than the overrated 250 *only made 75% of claimed power at rear wheel). It also seems to match the torque figures I've see for the CBR 300. Add in the smoothness of the twin and it may just be worth the increase in cost.

What II2 neglected to mention is that the Honda 500 series, which is an easy mention as a first bike, is not really a whole bunch faster than the Ninja 300. Sure, it hauls a passenger better, but it won't give the same racy feeling a Ninja 300 will give revving out to get going.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Thanks guys...these are the answers I was looking for....and since some of those bikes are still not available to purchase,than there is time to think about it....BTW,any news on the release and the price of the CBR?

The Benelli caught my attention as something 'new',but living here,it's probably better to stick to something that has already established and a reliable service network,so that will put Benelli out of contention...at least for now.

• Like 2

Thanks guys...these are the answers I was looking for....and since some of those bikes are still not available to purchase,than there is time to think about it....BTW,any news on the release and the price of the CBR?

The Benelli caught my attention as something 'new',but living here,it's probably better to stick to something that has already established and a reliable service network,so that will put Benelli out of contention...at least for now.

You can't over emphasise known reliability. The Honda being a Honda is a known factor. The 250 Ninja just goes and goes; there was no report on this board about major issues. Thus I am comfortable buying a Japanese engineered bike made in Thailand. A Chinese bike made (?) I would let others be the QA department for.

Note that I don't have anything against a properly engineered Chinese product; I recommend the FiiO X3 all the time but am also cognizant of reality. In the case of FiiO I wouldn't recommend their earlier products which has various issues but now that they have gotten things down to where a western buyer wants it's an easy recommendation. Should 'Benelli' prove as reliable as the competition than it will be just as easy to sing their praise. Should their reliability match their price difference than they'll get my support with caveats.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

Don't forget that we should see the introduction of the Yamaha R25 this year and with it's high revving twin cylinder engine that's likely to put out between 35 to 40 HP looks like it's going to be a fun bike.

Luv my ninja but am very interested in seeing what this ends up at

Looks good so far & if they do get the hp they are claiming all that will be left to see

is the weight.

Agreed it looks to be a very fun ride ;)

• Like 2

taninthai doesn't like bikes made in China, but he likes confusing things and slagging china bikes. He speaks about a Keeway bike, the RKV200. And he speak as if he know a lot but he doesn't even know it has 200cc. There are many china haters out here so be careful with what you will read here. Better test ride the bikes and look somewhere else for real information as long as there are no reports of owners. Sad but true.

Same for the Benelli 600cc. Better google and check the bike out yourself and do not rely on what you read here. Too many china bike haters here.

funcat, where have you seen the BN302? Is it already in the showrooms? I cannot say much about the bike as i never rode it. It may be a bit heavy, but imo thats no dealbreaker. I like solid bikes. Things like the double disc brake add weight of course. I like the styling.

I did check out Binelli bikes myself, I went to their showroom and test rode the 600 - it was not good.

As a happy owner of an RKV 200 (same manufacturer as Benelli) I looked at the BN 302 at the Motor Expo as a possible upgrade from my current bike.

The RKV is great as a proper motorbike for scooter money - but now I'm after something bigger for the odd longer tour (used to have a Triumph RS Sprint 955 in UK - but something this heavy would be a waste in Bangkok in my view and not really needed for the odd longer trip).

Of the three 300's I'd prefer the Honda as I like the simplicity and low down torque of a single and it's a well tested design in other markets ..... the Ninja is a great bike - but why not go further and get a Honda CB500 or Kawasaki 650 if you want more power - as we're not limited by the local licensing laws.

• Like 1

As a happy owner of an RKV 200 (same manufacturer as Benelli) I looked at the BN 302 at the Motor Expo as a possible upgrade from my current bike.

The RKV is great as a proper motorbike for scooter money - but now I'm after something bigger for the odd longer tour (used to have a Triumph RS Sprint 955 in UK - but something this heavy would be a waste in Bangkok in my view and not really needed for the odd longer trip).

Of the three 300's I'd prefer the Honda as I like the simplicity and low down torque of a single and it's a well tested design in other markets ..... the Ninja is a great bike - but why not go further and get a Honda CB500 or Kawasaki 650 if you want more power - as we're not limited by the local licensing laws.

especially, a 500 honda is only 30 k more than a 300 kawa ninja and you get a lot more bike.

Besides, 470 cc of course is faster than 300 cc with lots of low down torque and better of the line acceleration.

And 500 series are very forgiving bikes, easy to ride and has ABS.

but of 200 k thb is too much for you , just get a second hand cbr250r as they go for 70 k thb nowadays!

Edited by ll2
  • Like 1

"470 cc of course is faster than 300 cc"

Not always.

Power to weight and gearing and what matters, not capacity. Even more so when you consider that the 500s are restricted on power by design. Despite not liking Kawas, the 300 will run the CB500 very close on the track, but on the road, the 500s are a better bike for most people.

Not always.

Power to weight and gearing and what matters, not capacity. Even more so when you consider that the 500s are restricted on power by design. Despite not liking Kawas, the 300 will run the CB500 very close on the track, but on the road, the 500s are a better bike for most people.

but we compare 300 cc in Thailand wong! of course a race spec or two stroke 300 cc will be faster than cbr500r.

But clearly, cbr500r is a faster bike than a ninja 300, be it high speed, acceleration and torque.

Not always.

but we compare 300 cc in Thailand wong! of course a race spec or two stroke 300 cc will be faster than cbr500r.

But clearly, cbr500r is a faster bike than a ninja 300, be it high speed, acceleration and torque.

Barely.

Small correction: Keeway has the same owner as Benelli, they both owned by Qianjiang Group (QJ Group) and they not have the same manufacturer. Of course QJ will probably manufacture some parts in the same factory. But than Suzuki's, Honda's, Yamaha, Kawasaki's and even Lifan in Thailand share some common part suppliers...