Ed Visa for Degree Course. What documents do I need for 1-year extension?

I have a 3-month Ed Visa issued at Chaengwattana which expires on 25-2-14 but am getting conflicting information about how / where I can extend it.

1. My college is in Bangkok but I live in Chiang Mai but commute to take may face-to-face classes twice-yearly. Chaengwattana say that I can extend in Chiang Mai - is this possible?

2. I know I have to fill in a form but what are the exact documents required for the 1-year extension?

Many thanks,

Dan

It's a 3-year BA TESOL course ran by an international college in Bangkok. The face-to-face modules are designed to allow those who are teaching to be able to attend during school holidays. Research papers etc; are done in our own time.

From what I understand, those studying on Ed Visas i.e. me, have to attend 10 weeks of classes per year as this is a MoE compulsory requirement.

It should be the same as what you had when you did the conversion to a non immigrant visa. From immigration order 305/2551.

2.8 In the case of enrollment in a state educational institution: Each permission shall be granted for a period of study certified by the educational institution, which shall not exceed one year. 1. Application form 2. Copy of applicant’s passport 3. Letter of confirmation and request for a temporary stay, issued by the educational institution, which shows detailed information about the applicant’s years of education, level of curriculum, and educational achievement 2.9 In the case of enrollment in a private educational institution: Each permission shall be granted for a period certified by the educational institution, which shall not exceed one year. 1. Application form 2. Copy of applicant’s passport 3. Copy of evidence of permission to establish the educational institution issued by the relevant government agency 4. Letter of confirmation and request for a temporary stay, issued by the educational institution, which shows detailed information about the applicant’s years of education, level of curriculum, and educational achievement 5. Confirmation letter issued by a government agency at the departmental level or by the Provincial Governor in charge of that particular institution (except in the case of enrollment in an international school or in the case of higher education)

Seems that the OP is working !

Maybe an"ED visa" is not an appropriate or legal means of remaining in Thailand ?

Personally-speaking, I'm not working. At the moment, I'm staying with friends and adjusting to things here and am not currently in a position to start looking for a job.

When that time comes, I would expect to find a reputable employer who will provide the appropriate paperwork.

I'm fairly sure you will need to go to the Immigration office where the school sponsoring your visa is located.

10 classes per year to obtain a 1-year (extension) sounds unusual. It wouldn't work for Thai language students.

What does your college advise?

OK thanks Mario - will do.

Application should be made at the immigration office for the area where you reside. which will lead to questions why you live in CM and study in Bangkok so take some documentation about the program with you.

Well i live in Nonthaburi and go to school in Bangkok, So my 90 days Visa Ext. is at Immigration Chaengwattana Rd, and my 90 days address rapport is at Nonthaburi Immigration, I being told that i have to do it this way, Visa ext where the school have address, and addressee rapport where MY address is.

Both Immigration office say the same thing.

Only a information.

The extension must be done in the province where the school is located. I live in Rayong and my school is just across the border in Chonburi, I went to the Rayong immigration office where I was allowed to do the 90 day report but was told I cannot extend the visa there.

As for the documents, the administration or registration office at your school should be able to answer that. I just let them know I need to extend the visa, they make copies from my passport and prepare all the documents for me. Have done 3 extensions and only the last one I had a problem because my dog got a hold of my passport and destroyed the arrival/departure card.

OK thanks Mario - will do.

Application should be made at the immigration office for the area where you reside. which will lead to questions why you live in CM and study in Bangkok so take some documentation about the program with you.

I went to Chiang Mai Immigration, showed them my passport and they said I can't do the 1-year extension there as my college is in Bangkok so I'll go to Chaengwattana next month along with documentation from college.