HIV/AIDS Positive applications for Retirement or other Visas

I am curious about the Contagious disease clause and the requirement for a medical certificate for a Retirement Visa.

Would being HIV/AIDS positive be a problem, and possibly cause an application for Retirement Visa to be refused?

or any other long term visa for that matter?

Only applications for O-A visas in the home countries require a medical form.

You don't even ever need to use an O-A visa. It is only ONE optional starting path towards legal expat retirement in Thailand.

In Thailand for retirement extensions, medical forms are not required (with a few provincial office exceptions who don't follow the national rules).

HIV is NOT listed on the form used for O-A visa applications!

In other words, they are NOT seeking your HIV status in any way.

HIV absolutely does NOT disqualify a person from retirement status in Thailand.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

The only long stay visa is a OA visa which is for retirement. The medical certificate for it does not have HIV/AID listed. But it is possible a doctor in your home country might not sign it if you were. See: http://www.thaiembdc.us/dcdp/sites/default/files/files/consular%20application/1_3%20Medical%20Carticate.pdf

Possible I guess. So find a doctor who would then.

The only long stay visa is a OA visa which is for retirement. The medical certificate for it does not have HIV/AID listed. But it is possible a doctor in your home country might not sign it if you were. See: http://www.thaiembdc.us/dcdp/sites/default/files/files/consular%20application/1_3%20Medical%20Carticate.pdf

That is a distinct possibility given the form includes this......."free from any defect" (sic)

Only applications for O-A visas in the home countries require a medical form.

You don't even ever need to use an O-A visa. It is only ONE optional starting path towards legal expat retirement in Thailand.

In Thailand for retirement extensions, medical forms are not required (with a few provincial office exceptions who don't follow the national rules).

HIV is NOT listed on the form used for O-A visa applications!

In other words, they are NOT seeking your HIV status in any way.

HIV absolutely does NOT disqualify a person from retirement status in Thailand.

Thanks for the prompt and helpful response. I think its important to know these things with this disease still being very prevalent in the Kingdom.

Please excuse my ignorance of local visa acronyms, but what is the significance of type O-A as opposed to what you call "legal expat retirement in Thailand", and what does O-A mean ?

HIV is not casually transmitted.

There is no logical reason for there to be immigration restrictions about it in any country at this point in history.

There are countless existing threads on different paths towards retirement in Thailand already.

O-A visas are NEVER required to do so.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

A"medical" is only required if applying for an O/A visa in your own country.

Actually when I was in the new Immigration at Rankhhamheng last year, they told me I could apply for a Retirement Visa now, but said the application DOES require a medical certificate, so seems both yourself and Jingthing are not correct on this?

Actually when I was in the new Immigration at Rankhhamheng last year, they told me I could apply for a Retirement Visa now, but said the application DOES require a medical certificate, so seems both yourself and Jingthing are not correct on this?

I don't think we're wrong. I think you experienced a communication problem. BTW, retirement visas are NEVER issued in Thailand. Only conversions to Non-Immigrant O visas and annual retirement extensions. The O-A visa (Long Stay) visa can be referred to as a retirement visa but again only available in home countries. NEVER in Thailand.

Edited by Jingthing

It is not a re

A only a few Immigration offices apply this "rule" it is not a requirement.

Actually there are many long stay visa's including investment, working, marriage to Thai etc. as I understand. I appreciate the input, but just thought this should be clarifired to others that read your post

OK, if Rankhhamheng is now requiring a medical form for CONVERSIONS from entry stamps or tourist visas to Non-Immigrant O visas (second step is retirement extension) can someone please CONFIRM that is actually true? I am not convinced it is based on this one fuzzy report. Cheers.

BTW, that step could be avoided. Just go to Laos or Malaysia and apply for a single entry O visa. They won't require a medical form. Then in Thailand apply for a retirement extension.

• Like 1

There is no logical reason for there to be immigration restrictions about it in any country at this point in history.

There are countless existing threads on different paths towards retirement in Thailand already.

Different Paths?

Actually there are many long stay visa's including investment, working, marriage to Thai etc. as I understand. I appreciate the input, but just thought this should be clarifired to others that read your post

The O-A visa is the one that is typically LABELLED as the "Long Stay" visa. Only the O-A.

Different Paths?

That is correct.

Enter with another O visa.

Enter with an entry stamp or tourist visa and CONVERT to a single Non-immigrant O followed by a retirement extension.

O-A is only one starting option. Never a requirement to enter the retirement extension system in Thailand.

I don't think we're wrong. I think you experienced a communication problem. BTW, retirement visas are NEVER issued in Thailand. Only conversions to Non-Immigrant O visas and annual retirement extensions. The O-A visa (Long Stay) visa can be referred to as a retirement visa but again only available in home countries. NEVER in Thailand.

Perhaps I should explain further.... I already have a long term visa in another category, and it was during one of my renewals that I was advised to change it to a Retirement Visa. I was given the requirements details etc. and it seemed pretty clear that I could apply there and then if I wanted to. I've been in Thailand for more than 20 years, and my Thai language skills are pretty good, so I don't think I misunderstood the conversation. The fact that we didn't specifically discuss WHERE to apply, could be the problem, but as I said, the inference was more towards me applying there and then, rather than having to return home, but you may be right.

I will discuss with them at my next 90 days notice.

The other visa's mentioned only give 90 day entries a OA visa gives a 1 year entry.

There are 1 year extensions of stay based upon various reasons that can be obtained.

The other visa's mentioned only give 90 day entries a OA visa gives a 1 year entry.

There are 1 year extensions of stay based upon various reasons that can be obtained.

OK you are referring to Entry Visa's as opposed to Visa Extensions, or locally obtained Visa's. To be honest its so long ago, I don't recall what Visa' I came in on, and it was during the last major Immiigration shakeup too. I was put through hoops and sent here and there, but I believe I did it all locally.

Different Paths?

That is correct.

Enter with another O visa.

Enter with an entry stamp or tourist visa and CONVERT to a single Non-immigrant O followed by a retirement extension.

O-A is only one starting option. Never a requirement to enter the retirement extension system in Thailand.

So if I understand you correctly, I was right in that I CAN get the "Expat Retirement in Thailand" locally, but it will be called a Visa extension for reasons of Retirement, rather than a Retirement Visa?

Are there any problematic implications fo going down this "path" as you call it rather than starting with a Retirement Visa (e.g. keeping minimum requirements when the government increase them, and being able to be grandfathered in at the old rates)?

Thanks very much for sharing your in depth knowledge.

Interesting that the OP claims to have been in Thailand for 20+years but has yet to learn the difference between a "visa" and an extension of stay !

Just an observation !smile.png

Because I haven't had to chop and change too often, lawyers usually handle it, and since in my experience I've had to produce EXACTLY the same documentation for both Visa and Extension, and also the fact that people talk about them interchangeably in a lot of cases (incorrectly maybe but true all the same).

OK?

I've met people been here longer than me, and can hardly speak a work of Thai! I don't want to turn this into a silly argument thread, so can we stick to the subject of the OP please.

Edited by cyborgx