HIV/AIDS Positive applications for Retirement or other Visas

When starting with a multiple entry O-A visa (home country only) you can stretch that to last about two years before needing to enter the retirement extension system in Thailand. Also with the O-A if using a show money method, the money you show does not need to be in a Thai bank account as is needed for retirement extension applications. The O-A has additional requirements -- the medical form and police record form, so that's a downside. People who start with an O-A if they are actually moving to Thailand in the long run will be entering the exact same retirement extension system like all other retired expats, and their status is IDENTICAL.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

Thanks to all who gave constructive information here, lets hope none of us ever have to deal with the disease at issue. I also hope that they keep this thread for others curious about the their long term plan to stay here.

• Like 1

OP - how are you planning to prove your finances for a retirement extension? If through the bank balance method, at least 800,000 THB would normally need to be seasoned in your account continuously for 2 months for your first extension and then 3 months for subsequent extensions. However, since you have already obtained non-retirement extensions, seasoning for 3 months may be required in your case for the first retirement extension as well. Perhaps the experts could clarify this point - if only to satisfy my own burning curiosity!

OP - how are you planning to prove your finances for a retirement extension? If through the bank balance method, at least 800,000 THB would normally need to be seasoned in your account continuously for 2 months for your first extension and then 3 months for subsequent extensions. However, since you have already obtained non-retirement extensions, seasoning for 3 months may be required in your case for the first retirement extension as well. Perhaps the experts could clarify this point - if only to satisfy my own burning curiosity!

Yes I was aware thank.

If you are not, I strongly suggest you read the document posted above by UbonJoe

never heard of medical tests results required for thai visa.

For an O-A visa application (obtained in home country) yes having a doctor fill out the medical form (supplied by embassies/consulates) is ALWAYS required. Docs can choose to perform tests or not based on questions on the form. It can be quite an expense if they insist on actually carrying out clinical tests.

Edited by Jingthing

Only applications for O-A visas in the home countries require a medical form.

You don't even ever need to use an O-A visa. It is only ONE optional starting path towards legal expat retirement in Thailand.

In Thailand for retirement extensions, medical forms are not required (with a few provincial office exceptions who don't follow the national rules).

HIV is NOT listed on the form used for O-A visa applications!

In other words, they are NOT seeking your HIV status in any way.

HIV absolutely does NOT disqualify a person from retirement status in Thailand.

Very accurate posting. Nice to see.

Here's a link to the Los Angeles Thai Consulate's medical form that list the diseases which would presumably disqualify you for a retirement visa. My doctor signed it off without doing a single test.

http://www.thaiconsulatela.org/pdf/medical_certificate.pdf

Perhaps worth mentioning, I am under the impression that Thailand INTENTIONALLY decided not to be discriminatory towards people with HIV in their immigration matters long ago. It isn't an oversight. Some other countries, on the other hand, have been intentionally discriminatory based on HIV status, currently or in the past.

Yes I was aware thank.

If you are not, I strongly suggest you read the document posted above by UbonJoe

I am well aware of clause 2.22 of police order 777/2551, thank you very much.

The point I was making is whether the final sentence of sub-para (4) ("For the first year only, the applicant must have proof of a deposit account in which said amount of funds has been maintained for no less than 60 days prior to the filing date") is applicable in your case given that, as you stated in post #23, you have previously obtained non-retirement extensions - unlike the majority of those of us living here on retirement extensions whom clause 2.22 is aimed at.

Edited by OJAS

I've never needed a medical certificate and if you ask any motorcycle taxi driver they take you where you can get one for 100 baht with no examination.

I am sure we all appreciate the "dodgy" information which is of no use to those applying for an O/A visa or work permit .

I've never needed a medical certificate and if you ask any motorcycle taxi driver they take you where you can get one for 100 baht with no examination.

I am sure we all appreciate the "dodgy" information which is of no use to those applying for an O/A visa or work permit .

You may consider it "dodgy", but everyone I've ever spoken to have told me you can easily get a medical certificate that way.

But here's my suggestion. For yours, go to Bumengrad, spend 20K baht to get a complete physical and a medical certificate. I'm sure you'll feel much better and not dodgy, lol

Btw sir, others in this thread have made the same suggestion.

Yes I was aware thank.

I am well aware of clause 2.22 of police order 777/2551, thank you very much.

The point I was making is whether the final sentence of sub-para (4) ("For the first year only, the applicant must have proof of a deposit account in which said amount of funds has been maintained for no less than 60 days prior to the filing date") is applicable in your case given that, as you stated in post #23, you have previously obtained non-retirement extensions - unlike the majority of those of us living here on retirement extensions whom clause 2.22 is aimed at.

To which the answer is "no", according to post #5 on the thread at http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/694644-jomtien-immigration-changing-marriage-extension-to-retirement/

UbonJoe and Sceptict seem to know their stuff. Read the whole thread and better for it. I have an extension of stay for retirement reasons. Next month i go for my yearly renewal. I came here over a year ago on a 90 day visa and got my extension to stay. No medical exam or form in the process. Keep up the good work guys!!

Edited by DeeMockMark

I just had to get a medical certificate to extend my Visa and Work Permit. I needed a blood test to show that I didn't have syphillis, which is cureable, but no mention of HIV/AIDS, which isn't........TIT.

Perhaps worth mentioning, I am under the impression that Thailand INTENTIONALLY decided not to be discriminatory towards people with HIV in their immigration matters long ago. It isn't an oversight. Some other countries, on the other hand, have been intentionally discriminatory based on HIV status, currently or in the past.

I understand this was not just benevolence on behalf of the Thais but a realisation that if they did a whole range of assistance would not be available to Thailand.

they want to know if you have Elephantitis.

I am not joking.

Yes, it is, indeed, 1 of the 5 conditions you're required to be checked for when applying for an O-A visa according to the Royal Thai Embassy in London, the other 4 being leprosy, TB, drug addiction & the 3rd stage of syphilis. See their form at http://thaiembassyuk.org.uk/forms/medicalcertificate.pdf

• 1 month later...

That was the hospitals choice. The form they sign for the physical is the same as all other medical certificates.

it is here; http://immigration.go.th/nov2004/doc/residence/form_doctor_certify.pdf

Not that I want to contradict you, but that doesn't sound right. I've definitely had different medical certificates to this in the past, and the doctor always asks what the certificate if for. Some certainty here would be nice. I also seem to recall reading on these forums that the certificates for Visa, PR, Citizenship are different.