Beware of this taxi

wprime

Curious.....Did all this happen before you even declined/accepted the fixed fair? I mean ....did he stop for you, then you told him where you wanted to go, and he told you the fixed fair which you declined?

Or did you get in the cab, he did not turn on the meter (and if he didn't why didn't you tell him to turn it on?) and when the ride was over he told the fixed fair and you refused?

Just curious!

Edited by beachproperty
  • Like 1

Curious.....Did all this happen before you even declined/accepted the fixed fair? I mean ....did he stop for you, then you told him where you wanted to go, and he told you the fixed fair which you declined?

Or did you get in the cab, he did not turn on the meter (and if he didn't why didn't you tell him to turn it on?) and when the ride was over he told the fixed fair and you refused?

Just curious!

Basically we got in, said the destination and that I wanted to go on the tollways, he started driving and said he'll take us a faster way not using the tollways and we can just pay him the tollway fees, he wanted 300 net, I didn't bother arguing and later he started to increase the fare, he said he wanted 350 in case of traffic, and that he would need to go on the tollways and I'd have to pay for that on top of the 350. I disagreed and asked him to pull over so I could find another cab which he refused, eventually he wanted 80 baht to pull over so I paid it. As I exited the cab I took a photo of the license plate on the door which set him off.

• Like 2

How did you disarm him? Were you seriously hurt?

My girlfriend was begging him to stop and there were a number of people starting to watch the situation so he backed off. I wasn't harmed.

Lucky you didn't have the samurai sword wielding taxi driver from last year.

Taxi drivers are crazy. I refuse to ever sit in one alone again! About 3 years ago I took a cab ride from Ladprao to Sukhumvit to meet my friends. The whole way there the driver spoke about how good he was in bed and how rough he likes it (in Thai). Yes I know I should have gotten out and ran off, but when you're in shock u don't know how to think or react............... My 1st thought was to act cool and stay calm, because the last thing I wanted was to set him OFF as the OP mentioned.

Edited by kirstymelb101

Not in any way excusing his actions but taking a photo was a mistake here. Best just put the 80 Baht down to experience and get another taxi. If you have the presence of mind remember his number and report it. Thais hate photos, in any situation like this.

Also, simply never go without the meter. If they start talking fixed fares then get straight out. Saves a lot of trouble in the long run.

Glad you and your girlfriend are OK, and can chalk it up to experience.

I had a bad taxi experience from Bayoke hotel one day. Me and my wife wanted a taxi but they refused to open the doors, right in front of Bayoke sky tower hotel. The security of the hotel told one to open up so we could get in. He started driving and wanted a fixed price. My wife told him to use the metre which he finally did after making problems. Then he started racing like beserk , i guess he hoped we would beg him to let us out which we didn't. We went full speed through the traffic like totally crazy and finally when we were close to our destination he stopped and ordered us to get out, we even didn't pay and he raced off.

My wife also made pics but didn't do anything with them.

When they don't get their fixed price they can become very nasty, in the tourist area's they are backed up by the police so what can you do? They almost all do it, i never use taxi's in tourist places no more and since then had no problems at all. I also speak thai to them so maybe that helps.

I took a taxi from the Landmark going to the airport and the Concierge said I wanted the meter. Driver agreed. I got in.

He started down the driveway and said 500 baht. I said no. He just got onto Sukhumvit into traffic and I went to open the door to get out.

I did not look behind me and a motorcycle hit the open door and bent it backwards to the front of the car.

Security Guard came to get me and took me back to the front of the Landmark, with taxi Driver shouting and ranting and the motorbike on the ground. The Landmark would not let the Driver in the hotel and after a while when they left, I got a metered taxi. Security got a 500baht tip.

That still makes me smile to this day.

• Like 1

I took a taxi from the Landmark going to the airport and the Concierge said I wanted the meter. Driver agreed. I got in.

He started down the driveway and said 500 baht. I said no. He just got onto Sukhumvit into traffic and I went to open the door to get out.

I did not look behind me and a motorcycle hit the open door and bent it backwards to the front of the car.

Security Guard came to get me and took me back to the front of the Landmark, with taxi Driver shouting and ranting and the motorbike on the ground. The Landmark would not let the Driver in the hotel and after a while when they left, I got a metered taxi. Security got a 500baht tip.

I feel sorry for the motorcycle driver.. damm stupid of you and you smile about it. The taxidriver is an ass but the MC driver innocent.

Yep, no doubt about my stupidity and eagerness to get out of the taxi that caused the MC to hit the door and fall down. My bad.

Shit happens.

I have a heightened sense of schadenfredue.

I feel sorry for the motorcycle driver.. damm stupid of you and you smile about it. The taxidriver is an ass but the MC driver innocent.

Yep, no doubt about my stupidity and eagerness to get out of the taxi that caused the MC to hit the door and fall down. My bad.

Shit happens.

Sure.. but I would not have been happy if i was the MC driver. It is one of my fears and the reason why i never go to fast past taxi's.

Shit happens.

Sure.. but I would not have been happy if i was the MC driver. It is one of my fears and the reason why i never go to fast past taxi's.

Neither would I.

But had I been riding down the inside gutter land too fast and it happened to me, I would have to accept partial blame.

...and that's the reason I don't ride fast down the gutter lane.

I put a report to the 1584 who said they noted it, and called the police who said to report it at a station which I'll do tomorrow.

The DLT complaints line will take this seriously both on the meter and threat front so do follow up with them. The reality is that all taxi drivers carry a weapon of some sort.

It is probably best if your gf (assuming that she is Thai) lodge the police complaint though they might not show much interest, prob send you to the station where it took place. Or you could make it yourself to the tourist police who will probably do a better job of following it up.

Stating it was pink doesn't really help as there are 5-6 different companies with pink taxis but each id is unique. NDB is correct that you should never ever agree to not use the meter - it is actually unlawful by the driver - and correct about the confrontational aspect of taking a pic. However, I myself have done this and it is the best way of id'ing the taxi if done in the right manner. Obviously, don't do it in an isolated area with no people around.

Though this seemingly was the catalyst for the armed response, another way of looking at it is that you may have saved a future taxi riders life IF he is dealt with appropriately by the DLT and police and prohibited from driving again. That is a big if.

One of the problems is that the DLT has never required taxi companies to undertake criminal background checks of drivers. most likely that will not change in the near future. Hence the reason why you read every few months of a women being raped by a taxi drivers who more than often has priors for similar offences.

Edited by Lakegeneve

I am seriously surprised that some information has been allowed to remain in this topic. I sympathise with the OP, but posting accusations like this most likely has whole range of legal implications if they would be investigated.

Just saying.

Have been back in LOS for the last week and have never seen the taxis drivers at such a pent up state. I have a lot of sympathies most are not making any money at the fixed meter rate (not gone up for 10 years whilst a lot of prices have doubled in that time) - and in order to get a cab we have been offering +50/100 meter. This does the job and most open up when you agree. A lot have said they wont be working during the shutdown or going home as the roads will be in chaos. Can easily see one going off the handle and charging into a demo. The mood is getting ugly. Most ugly I've ever seen it in 15 years of coming here.

I doubt that I would ever take a pic in a conflict situation with taxi driver. Torn between a bit of admiration for the OP but also a feeling that this was a lucky escape. When I have to take a cab, I usually do get one from a big hotel as the concierge will always make a record of the driver for himself as well as giving the pax the details ( and make sure the meter is on). It's more problematic getting one from the street, in my experience

Drivers must be doing it very tough now, not that this behaviour can be justified

• Like 1

I have a lot of sympathies most are not making any money at the fixed meter rate (not gone up for 10 years whilst a lot of prices have doubled in that time).
Nonsense. Do you really think they would still be driving if they wouldn't make any money? I agree, there're better paid jobs but even taxi drivers can survive. If they're not happy with their income, it doesn't justify behaviour like this. As a side note: In all the years I've been living in Bangkok I have never had any bad experiences with taxis. You open the door, tell where you want to go and then they will either nod or not nod. Then you get in, and if the driver doesn't turn on the meter himself, you politely remind him. If he refuses, you get out. Easy as that. All in all I think I only had to get out in maybe 2 occasions.

I have a lot of sympathies most are not making any money at the fixed meter rate (not gone up for 10 years whilst a lot of prices have doubled in that time).

Nonsense. Do you really think they would still be driving if they wouldn't make any money? I agree, there're better paid jobs but even taxi drivers can survive. If they're not happy with their income, it doesn't justify behaviour like this. As a side note: In all the years I've been living in Bangkok I have never had any bad experiences with taxis. You open the door, tell where you want to go and then they will either nod or not nod. Then you get in, and if the driver doesn't turn on the meter himself, you politely remind him. If he refuses, you get out. Easy as that. All in all I think I only had to get out in maybe 2 occasions.

As they say over here up to you - me and the missus don't resent 90p - 180p to get a taxi quick and in a good mood. We can afford it so why not. Taxi fares in London would be 5-8 times the rate so it's cheap either way. Apologies for not clarifying that the behaviour is totally unjustified in any circumstances.

Edited by beautifulthailand99

I'm with you, never a problem with Taxi's, the odd negative nod but twenty more taxi's will drive by in the next few minutes so not a worry getting a knock back . Think only once had to ask for meter on and that was Phuket.

Was solo once in a taxi, slow trip in traffic, driver pulled out book from glove box which was a Thai/English learning book and I gave my first lesson as an English teacher 555

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk