Thai farmers demand action on rice

webfact

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think the farmers are very interested in politics, but they sure don't like not having money. The start of their protests today is far more dangerous to Thailand than the Bangkok drama.

Agree with this. When this gets rolling we'll see plenty of action. . . real action, real reaction most likely too

Many of the farmers in my village in Surin are really struggling because of this.

I can tell you they are not happy about it at all.

I sincerely hope for Thailand that when the time comes to vote --not yet--about April when most of the people responsible are locked away these farmers and northern rubber growers will come to their senses and see the light for the first time--it is being exposed-thanks to your good thinking MAD MAN--for all you who detest him, this is now the only way to stop the rot. Aftermath I DON'T KNOW--but it has to be better than this.

• Like 1

They will not be paid until the 2 trillion baht loan is approved, I very much doubt it will ever get approved off books or off budget as they planned

Or sell some rice from stockpiles

both scenarios very doubtful

and the EC should not be providing support for this vote buying scam

and yes - were exactly did Thaksin treble his money from - I find that highly suspicious

Wise investments and the stockmarket possibly? Why are we all so cynical? Suspicious...? I dont understand, Donald Trump... how many others have tripled their fortunes in a day, let alone 2 years! Facebook and Twitter and co. Its easy to be biased, but can we think critically or laterally? Oh no, thats too hard. Lets just blame the bast..d....

Is everyone falling for the Suthep propaganda and being objective? I think not. Many people have made fortunes in one day, why not Thaksin? He certainly has a higher IQ then I...wai.gif

"He certainly has a higher IQ then I...wai.gif"

I honestly hope that was a typo...

For what it's worth....

My wife was paid this week for rice harvested in mid November.

After reading on TV that rice not paid for before December 31st 2013, would not be paid...I was pleasantly surprised!

It was a long, stressful wait and made an impact on my family's Christmas shopping, but they did come through.

Don't believe everything you read on TV or anywhere else!

If they can't pay the farmers, PTP should admit it was all a big mistake and give them back their rice. Be generous, give them milled rice in equal weight to their paddy; why not, nobody is buying it and it will save on storage costs.

Then the farmers can try to sell their rice, in competition with the government stockpile, and learn what it's really worth. That should be educational, and might even encourage them to seek more remunerative employment, and stop sucking on Thaksin's tit (not that any benefit actually comes from Thaksin!)

Edited by JRSoul

For what it's worth....

My wife was paid this week for rice harvested in mid November.

After reading on TV that rice not paid for before December 31st 2013, would not be paid...I was pleasantly surprised!

It was a long, stressful wait and made an impact on my family's Christmas shopping, but they did come through.

Don't believe everything you read on TV or anywhere else!

Lucky you! Must be like winning the lotto! I'd love to here your opinion on the rice pledging scheme .

• Like 1

But, it's a democraticaly elected government! This is what the people wanted. No point in calling for reforms before these clowns get 2 more years to bankrupt the country. Wait until after the election, and watch what they can accomplish when they get the water management and infrastructure loans, then you will see money really being wasted. But, hey, they were democraticaly elected,no one has any right to complain.

Where is the "democracy" you refer to in the electoral rigging and vote buying that saturated the North and North East. You get what you vote for and this has now come home to roost.

• Like 1

The rice farmers should learn from their daughters, get paid first, play later.

I do not know if the powers that be, consider this a troll post or not. But I will conclude that the thinking, if there was any, prior to making this all encompassing, assine remark was made by a jilted wanna be stud, with a bad case of erectile malfunction.

You mean he couldn't get UP in the morning???giggle.gif

Rice farmers to blockade Asian Highway today

1-7-2014-10-15-59-AM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Rice farmers in five northern and central provinces threatened to block the Asian highway from Phitsanulok to Nakhon Sawan in what they said is to pressure the government to pay for the rice they sold under the rice-pledging scheme. Farmers said they have not been paid for over five months now.

Farmers from Phichit, Phitsanulok, Nakhon Sawan, Kamphaeng Phet, and Sukhothai are now heading for the Asian Highway at Pluek Soong intersection in Wachirabaramee district of Phichit in their plan to block the highway if their demand for immediate rice payment was not met with.

Earlier yesterday in Phetchabun province, more than 300 farmers gathered at the town hall to demand payment for the rice they pledged under the 2012/2013 crop year. They said they had sold rice under the scheme for over four months, and were not yet paid, thus causing them in financial trouble and hardship. They said they have no money to pay back debts.

They later dispersed when the executive of the Bank for Agriculture and Agricultural Cooperatives said they would get their money within March as the money is allocated by the government in allotments. But they also vowed to join protest by their colleagues today.

Commerce Minister Niwatthamrong Boonsongpaisan yesterday vowed to pay farmers within this month, though earlier last year his deputy Yanyong Puangrat promised that all unpaid farmers would be paid by January 15.

The government had plans to draw cash from BAAC’s deposits to pay for the rice but this was against the bank’s regulation and against the Election Law.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/rice-farmers-blockade-asian-highway-today/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-01-07

• Like 1

Hmmmm... Trouble in red heartland. Lots of Thai flags making the protesting farmers look like.....errrrrr ......protestors! It looks like their votes are going to cost a lot more than 500 baht this time...

• Like 1

Government pays to buy vote, but cant pay for the rice they promised.
If the country is bankcrupt, must I pay for the debt I never make?

PS: I'm actually surprised. We expats cares to do analysis on these kind of news, but when I told my Thai friends about the current situation, none of them knows the information. They dont even care to analysis the government project. All they do is keep telling that they love Thailand, and complain of Red/Yellow mob, but they dont do anything.
Such differences.

Edited by Seizhin

How much is the thai government paying for the tonnage of rice for the different grades does anyone have a link or so!

Its susposed to be 15,000 baht/ton for regular and 20,000 for 'sweet'. The Ag banks figures for the first 2 years of operation allowed the cost was 29,000+ /ton, for the total of the rice grain pledged/stored/handled.

The accounting/storage checks, additional expenses, fire loss, flood loss, theft loss, transport loss, and other loopholes have never been made public, by those Ministrieries who have been directly involved.

Weren't the rice farmers PROMISED to be paid before New Year so everyone could enjoy it properly?

I guess the Govt's fan base is slowly diminishing, hence the desperation for elections before reform ..,

Everybody has known when the election is to be held since parliament was dissolved.

The rice farmers were upset before the dissolution and continue to be so now. So how does your theory about "desperation to hold elections before reform", if such a thing existed, stand up to examination in light of these facts?

Answer, it doesn't.

The farmers will either vote for the PTP or not regardless of whether the elections are held sooner or later.In fact, if the elections were/are delayed it gives the caretaker government more time to find funds to pay them and win back their trust.

I really do hope they are forced out and a team of accountants go through government finance to reveal what really went on here

Apparently, half of the so called "neutral" Thais I know now tell me that they just want peace, they want election. They dont care about driving anyone out anymore, they are tired, they are ready to submit to corruption.

Thai will never change.

Everybody has known when the election is to be held since parliament was dissolved.

The rice farmers were upset before the dissolution and continue to be so now. So how does your theory about "desperation to hold elections before reform", if such a thing existed, stand up to examination in light of these facts?

Answer, it doesn't.

The farmers will either vote for the PTP or not regardless of whether the elections are held sooner or later.In fact, if the elections were/are delayed it gives the caretaker government more time to find funds to pay them and win back their trust.

What 'facts'? PTP needs more time to find the money, but the problem is WHERE to find the money because there isn't any. Given enough time, this scam will collapse, but you think farmers will vote for the people that robbed them.

Answer, it doesn't.

What 'facts'? PTP needs more time to find the money, but the problem is WHERE to find the money because there isn't any. Given enough time, this scam will collapse, but you think farmers will vote for the people that robbed them.

"Given enough time, this scam will collapse"

That was always going to happen.

Weren't the rice farmers PROMISED to be paid before New Year so everyone could enjoy it properly?

I guess the Govt's fan base is slowly diminishing, hence the desperation for elections before reform ..,

Answer, it doesn't.

You are sooooo blind as to what is really going on here as I've said sooooo many times before lol