One way ticket to Bangkok

I've taken a few one way flights to Thailand and got hassled but was finally let through. This was out of San Francisco. Since then I've used old itineraries with changed dates, or fully refundable onward flights which I later cancel.

Flying from BKK to Israel with a one way a few years ago I was denied and had to run to the internet cafe at the other side of the airport and buy a random fully refundable onward ticket for around $1800. Printed it out, made another copy with the passenger edited info for some poor guy in the same situation who couldn't speak English or use a computer, ran back, got through just before the cutoff time.

By the time I got to Israel and cancelled the refundable ticket (a day or so after arrival), the airline hadn't even processed the payment on my credit card yet so I had no worries about checking the refund status. It was just a 2-3 minute phone call through Skype and all in all a very simple process.

There are many ways around this potential obstacle but your safest option is to get any fully refundable onward ticket. And those Air Asia flights are much cheaper.

• Like 1

I work in Afghanistan as a military contractor and I go to Thailand on R&R. There is no chance I can get a visa prior to departure. I have never been asked for a return ticket when getting on the plane in Dubai and I fly via emirates - although I do fly business class (if that makes a difference).

• Like 1

Have flown in to Thailand many many times without an onward ticket/return ticket/visa. The only time I have ever had trouble was with Qantas, Jetstar (same thing really) and BA (they also use Qantas check in staff at Sydney). Had to book a fully refundable ticket with another airline that I cancelled as soon as I touched down in BKK.

Singapore Air, Thai airways, Emirates, Air Asia, Tiger and some other airlines never said a word to me about it

Qantas staff are anal and have directly contributed to me, my daughter and most people I know, not using them.

My daughter criss-crosses Australia constantly for her work and study.

She likes to arrive on time and not be trapped in a airplane for hours while the ground staff refuse to work in the rain or some other trivial reason.

I am Australian and find it unfortunate Qantas they are on a irreversible spiral down the plughole.

RIP Qantas, you once were a outstanding airline.

Have travelled PER - BKK on many occasions on a one way ticket with Thai, Tiger, AirasiaX, Jetstar, never been queried and Thai immigration stamps me in for 30 days with a smile.

Edited by joboss

• 2 weeks later...

This subject has been well covered in the following link:-

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/693171-emirates-one-way-ticket-problems-with-valid-visa/

The carrier was Emirates and not Condor but the principle is the same with one major proviso...........

The op had a visa. My personal opinion is that if you are travelling on a one way ticket AND no visa then you are asking for trouble because I feel you really are at the mercy of the check-in staff.

The first time I went to Thailand I had no onward or return ticket, but I did have a 90 day visa; I flew Thai Airways and had no problem.

Then a few months ago I went back to the US to visit on a round trip ticket with Korean Air. When I checked in at LAX for my return to BKK, KA staff asked me about a return ticket to the US. I explained that going back to Thailand was the return part of my ticket. (I also didn't have a visa for the stay, I was planning to enter on the 30 day exemption). They were concerned that I didn't have any planned flight out of Thailand and they (KA) would be held responsible. I told them I planned to leave Thailand on an overland route. The conversation went on for a few minutes before they decided to let me fly.

In retrospect, I wouldn't put myself in that position again. Next time I'll have either a visa, or some kind of onward flight already booked.

Have flown in to Thailand many many times without an onward ticket/return ticket/visa. The only time I have ever had trouble was with Qantas, Jetstar (same thing really) and BA (they also use Qantas check in staff at Sydney). Had to book a fully refundable ticket with another airline that I cancelled as soon as I touched down in BKK.

Singapore Air, Thai airways, Emirates, Air Asia, Tiger and some other airlines never said a word to me about it

Qantas staff are anal and have directly contributed to me, my daughter and most people I know, not using them.

My daughter criss-crosses Australia constantly for her work and study.

She likes to arrive on time and not be trapped in a airplane for hours while the ground staff refuse to work in the rain or some other trivial reason.

I am Australian and find it unfortunate Qantas they are on a irreversible spiral down the plughole.

RIP Qantas, you once were a outstanding airline.

Have travelled PER - BKK on many occasions on a one way ticket with Thai, Tiger, AirasiaX, Jetstar, never been queried and Thai immigration stamps me in for 30 days with a smile.

I fly with Qantas to Thailand without an ongoing flight/visa very frequently and I've never had problems. If they give you trouble it's probably for a good reason.