Bangkok Police clarify shootings at Thai-Japanese stadium

webfact

Police clarify shootings at Thai-Japanese stadium
By Digital Content

13890598405084.jpg

BANGKOK, Jan 7 – Thai forensic police have disclosed their latest evidence which confirmed that gunshots aimed at anti-government protesters at Thai-Japanese stadium on December 26 were fired from buildings outside the compound.

Thawatchai Mekprasertsuk, commander of the Forensic Science Police Office, said the shots were fired from Mitr Maitree Road behind the stadium through all three entrances.

Some people fired on police from a tall building adjacent to stadium Gate 1 and, according to witnesses, a group of people carried sacks of stones into the dormitory of the Youth Centre.

They allegedly threw rocks at police from the building.

Metropolitan anti-riot police officers armed with rubber bullet rifles, took control of the situation but a group of men on the rooftop opened fire at police, injuring Pol Sgt Thanapol Nopluay who was shot at the right arm at an 80-degree angle, he said.

Pol Maj Gen Thawatchai said Wasu Suchantabutr, a protester, was shot dead near the Labour Ministry’s Social Security Office building, possibly from a ministry gate or a flat behind the stadium.

Police found 31 bullets and six bullet casings for 16 different models of rifles, he said.

Protesters tried to storm the Thai-Japanese stadium to disrupt the registration of party-list candidates for the February 2 general election.

Scores of people including police were killed and injured in the violence. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2014-01-07

Sorry but after so much of "this and that" and admitting police are "the men in black" anything they say now must be taken with a gain of salt. Personally I do not believe anything they are saying on the latest blame game

I've never believed or trusted these bunch of clowns.
  • Like 1

Just to be able to find 31 bullets and 6 bullet casings and then determine they came from 16 differnt models of rifle is a monumental feat in itself. I will await the threat of a arrest warrent that will use this ground breaking investigative info, to name some individual, their hair color, sex, political association, age, and address to bring this case to a conclusion.

This type of people were alloted year end bonuses for their effort and their their contribution to running this country under the leadership of the PT government???? The last time I saw such a helpless situation, the CO called in artillary fire on his own position.

• Like 1

Just to be able to find 31 bullets and 6 bullet casings and then determine they came from 16 differnt models of rifle is a monumental feat in itself. I will await the threat of a arrest warrent that will use this ground breaking investigative info, to name some individual, their hair color, sex, political association, age, and address to bring this case to a conclusion.

This type of people were alloted year end bonuses for their effort and their their contribution to running this country under the leadership of the PT government???? The last time I saw such a helpless situation, the CO called in artillary fire on his own position.

Being able to identify bullets and shell casing is pretty bog standard forensic work. I am getting quite tired of people making out the RTP incapable of that.

When they don't do something or cannot "find" or "arrest" suspects, it is not ALWAYS due to incompetence.

Not to say they might not have mis-identified.

Anyone who has been to the Labour Dept. at Mit Maitri knows that it is a very wooded area with many buildings and temporary fences all over the place. Trying to trace anything is difficult.

Edited by EvilDrSomkid

This type of people were alloted year end bonuses for their effort and their their contribution to running this country under the leadership of the PT government????

What does this mean? Who are you referring to as "...this type of people" alloted [sic] year end bonuses..."? What bonuses?

So now they say he was shot with a handgun from a Building remote from the Japan/Thai stadium, "The lady doth protest too much, methinks."

No they didn't. That is just your misinterpretation of this report.

Perhaps you doth imagine things too much. "Methinks"? What century are you living in?

Edited by MMarlow

DECEMBER 26 CLASH
Wasu killed possibly by bullet from flat behind stadium : Police

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Forensic police on Tuesday claimed that gunshots at anti-government protesters at Thai-Japanese stadium on December 26 were fired from buildings outside the compound.

Thawatchai Mekprasertsuk, commander of the Forensic Science Police Office, said the shots were fired from Mitr Maitree Road behind the stadium through all three entrances, Thai News Agency reported Tuesday.

Some people fired on police from a tall building adjacent to stadium Gate 1 and, according to witnesses, a group of people carried sacks of stones into the dormitory of the Youth Centre. They allegedly threw rocks at police from the building.

Metropolitan anti-riot police officers armed with rubber bullet rifles, took control of the situation but a group of men on the rooftop opened fire at police, injuring Pol Sgt Thanapol Nopluay who was shot at the right arm at an 80-degree angle, he said.

Pol Maj Gen Thawatchai said Wasu Suchantabutr, a protester, was shot dead near the Labour Ministry's Social Security Office building, possibly from a ministry gate or a flat behind the stadium.

Police found 31 bullets and six bullet casings for 16 different models of rifles, he said. Protesters tried to storm the Thai-Japanese stadium to disrupt the registration of party-list candidates for the February 2 general election.

Scores of people including police were killed and injured in the violence.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-01-07

Does anyone remember the forensics report initially that talked about shots from a high vantage point ? If so good, your memory extends back two weeks. Does anyone remember the men in black photo widely distributed from the rooftop of the Labour building ? If so good, your memory extends back one week. Does anyone remember the chief of police admitting that the men on the rooftop were policemen ? If so good, your memory extends a few days. Do you remember reading this article where none of these things are adequately addressed ? If so good, your memory is just the right length for the administration.

• Like 1

Funny how the only real story TV sofa general council accepts is the PDCR statement released minutes after shots where fired....

Well, so far the police have told us three different stories.

1. The policeman was shot by a handgun bullet from an elevated position. Then pictures emerged with MiB on the roof of a building under control of the police. When the fairy tale fizzled that they were actually protestors dressed in looted police uniforms...

2. He was shot from a level position from the outside gate (location of the protestors) while crouching behind a tree - to explain the path of the bullet. They even presented a "matching" .38 casing conveniently found at the alleged shooter´s position. When doubts arouse they pulled out of their hat...

3. He was shot from an elevated position (again) this time by one of 16 riflemen from the rooftop of a building behind the protestors. And they produce the "matching" bullets and spent casings. No more "handgun".

Of course no autopsy was carried out and the poor bloke`s body has quickly been released for cremation. And the location has not been sealed off to conduct the investigation, so any evidence could have easily been either removed, relocated or placed as seen appropriate to support any story.

It doesn't say here - that I can see - that Narong was shot from an elevated position, it discusses Wasu and other cop. The idea that Narong was shot from an elevated position came from Akanat I think, not police. Police only said they believed that protesters were shooting from a high building, not that they killed Narong from a high building. Also, where did you read no autopsy was carried out?

It's not really inconsistent. According to this, someone was firing from a high building at Gate 1, but not necessarily at Gate 3 where Narong was shot. I just doubt that Wasu was shot by his own side from a building, I think he was shot by one of the cops during the counter-attack in the afternoon. But I think Narong was shot by protesters earlier on. Doesn't rule out someone (from either side) shooting from a building, at some point, of course. Worth bearing in mind the clash went on from 7am or so until early evening, and the first cop was shot at just after 9am with live bullets also being reported during the late afternoon.

Does anyone remember the forensics report initially that talked about shots from a high vantage point ? If so good, your memory extends back two weeks. Does anyone remember the men in black photo widely distributed from the rooftop of the Labour building ? If so good, your memory extends back one week. Does anyone remember the chief of police admitting that the men on the rooftop were policemen ? If so good, your memory extends a few days. Do you remember reading this article where none of these things are adequately addressed ? If so good, your memory is just the right length for the administration.

No, I don't remember a forensics report. I only remember Akanat saying there was a forensics report. There's no way you can determine where someone was shot from by looking at the bullet entry wound alone.

If you're interested in actual evidence, read this: http://asiancorrespondent.com/117827/who-were-the-men-on-the-roof-of-the-ministry-of-labor/

If you've already made up your mind police are responsible, fair enough. But it's probably not the truth.

So now they say he was shot with a handgun from a Building remote from the Japan/Thai stadium, "The lady doth protest too much, methinks."

No they didn't. That is just your misinterpretation of this report.

Perhaps you doth imagine things too much. "Methinks"? What century are you living in?

Well if you think my post is incorrect then try the polite approach and educate me. Its much nicer than breaching forum rules and flaming me, or don't you play well with others?

Edited by waza

Funny how the only real story TV sofa general council accepts is the PDCR statement released minutes after shots where fired....

1. The policeman was shot by a handgun bullet from an elevated position. Then pictures emerged with MiB on the roof of a building under control of the police. When the fairy tale fizzled that they were actually protestors dressed in looted police uniforms...

2. He was shot from a level position from the outside gate (location of the protestors) while crouching behind a tree - to explain the path of the bullet. They even presented a "matching" .38 casing conveniently found at the alleged shooter´s position. When doubts arouse they pulled out of their hat...

3. He was shot from an elevated position (again) this time by one of 16 riflemen from the rooftop of a building behind the protestors. And they produce the "matching" bullets and spent casings. No more "handgun".

Of course no autopsy was carried out and the poor bloke`s body has quickly been released for cremation. And the location has not been sealed off to conduct the investigation, so any evidence could have easily been either removed, relocated or placed as seen appropriate to support any story.

It doesn't say here - that I can see - that Narong was shot from an elevated position, it discusses Wasu and other cop. The idea that Narong was shot from an elevated position came from Akanat I think, not police. Police only said they believed that protesters were shooting from a high building, not that they killed Narong from a high building. Also, where did you read no autopsy was carried out?

It's not really inconsistent. According to this, someone was firing from a high building at Gate 1, but not necessarily at Gate 3 where Narong was shot. I just doubt that Wasu was shot by his own side from a building, I think he was shot by one of the cops during the counter-attack in the afternoon. But I think Narong was shot by protesters earlier on. Doesn't rule out someone (from either side) shooting from a building, at some point, of course. Worth bearing in mind the clash went on from 7am or so until early evening, and the first cop was shot at just after 9am with live bullets also being reported during the late afternoon.

It was initial report from Thai forensic police chief that Narong was shot from up to down, left to right and front to back direction.

It was initial report from Thai forensic police chief that Narong was shot from up to down, left to right and front to back direction.

The only quotes I can find for that are from Akanat, the PDRC spokesman. But even if true, it doesn't mean he was shot from a high building.

Dear Emptyset, I stand corrected on the autopsy. It referred to Wasu (not sent to the Police Hospital). My mistake and should not have happened, thanks for not coming down on me like a load of bricks.

Rummaged throughout the forum to find the reference of Narong being shot from top down. Akanat´s claim (allegedly based on autopsy report) is published 29 dec, forum members make the same claim already 28 dec. Unable to find the original source. But it coincides with the later claim shat he was shot from a same level position while "crouching"to explain the bullet path. And it was a .32 casing not .38 (my mistake again).

I still wonder why with all this allegedly amassed firepower of "unknown" assailants now "popping up" - 16 riflemen unmolested and undetected - the actual number of casualties is so surprisingly low. Bad shots the lot of them?