What do you want Thai people to know about yourself?

Somsrisonphimai

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't want to eat chicken feet.

offal

bugs

chicken feet

Adding chicken gristle/sinue

I was hungry and asked what the small crumbed bits were.

Chicken was the reply. Munched on ... bah.gif ... all gristle/sinue

So, I had another ... repeat experience.

Nothing is wasted at the Farm.

They crumb up the chicken gristle/sinue

so adding ...

gristle/sinue

Have to disagree there. Crumbed, fried chicken tendons (en gai tort) are one of my favourite Thai/Lao restaurant dishes.

Also, if I'm out in the sticks, fried grasshoppers go very well with beer. Need to be a bit careful with the spiky legs though.

And I love to see the local reaction to a farang eating them with relish!

Edited by laobali
  • Like 1

...what is your point.....

...you go first.....

Educational purpose so that when I hear Thai people say thing about the expats or foreigner that is untrue, I can educate them.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Edited by Somsrisonphimai

i have some trouble pronouncing "th" so when i say "free", i might actually mean "three", and when i say "fat" i might actually mean "that"... so they should seek further confirmation in any such ambiguous instances to avoid misunderstanding...

Fat thunny

I want them to know (think) that not being a house owner in Thailand, and only having a basic motorcycle really does mean that you are counting every Baht.

Yeah, I don't get the psychology of the thinking that if you don't wear golds, you live a simple life and you don't buy them drink, they think you're have no money.

For the most part I could care less what the Thais think of me. I gave up trying to get to know the neighbors and establish relationships, so now I just live a life of alienation from the locals with the exception of my wife and immediate family members. I get tired of greeting the natives with a smile and having them turn their heads or look at me like I'm crazy.

There's another side of me that craves the kind of acceptance that I had back in the States where there is a definite class distinction. I made an income in the top 5% of Americans and established a reputation of being a wise, fair and prudent businessman. We can learn something from everyone regardless of social status, but some of us older guys have traveled the world extensively and have spent years gaining knowledge, wisdom and understanding. Some of us even fought in a war called Vietnam to halt the threat of Communism coming to places like Thailand (at least at the time that's what we thought it was all about). So, in short, I worked my ass of to attain a certain level of recognition in the form of trust, respect and dignity within the community.

Now, fast forward to 2010 when I retired to Thailand, and I have been made to feel inferior ever since. The Thais seem to be able to recognize their own HISO types, but when they look at us farangs they seem to lump us all into the same bowl of low lifes that they see running the red light districts and making fools of themselves. Sure, I did all that years ago in Manila, but at least I was a well-dressed respectable fool! I never hit a bar without being decked out in a double-breasted suit.

All kidding aside, the Thais just don't seem to care who we are or who we were before coming here. I could make a long list of the reasons why I have become so critical of the Thais, but this is the one that really gets me in the gut. I came here expecting to live out my life in "paradise", but it has turned into my greatest nightmare. As Rodney Dangerfield used to say..."I just can't get no respect".

Now, having said all that, I can crawl back into my shell and pretend that I don't really give a rat's ass once again.

I think you would feel completely different if you lived in BKK. Did Americans in east bumf&$k REALLY think that much better of you? Thais in BKK seem to really respect what you do or did back home. They usually introduce us by telling other Thais what we do and where we are from. I just think hicks in Isaan and hicks in Iowa are similar.

I just treat people who I get to know and like with respect. I want want them to know that. Also successful Americans in their 40's seem to need a lot less butt kissing than the ones over 65.

That I need to meet all their ladies that are under 30 years of age for dinner smile.png (and under 55 kg) biggrin.png

Will pass your message along sir

Guess he forgot to add "not taller than 135 cm", as the Op's only 142 cm "tall." And lost him bike. Lol-coffee1.gif

That I need to meet all their ladies that are under 30 years of age for dinner smile.png (and under 55 kg) biggrin.png

Will pass your message along sir

Guess he forgot to add "not taller than 135 cm", as the Op's only 142 cm "tall." And lost him bike. Lol-coffee1.gif

555, I forgot to ask him how much is he willing to pay, he gets what he pays for.

• Like 1

You have body order

Yeah, been waiting since before Christmas - not here yet.

Oh I am sorry I meant you smell. Some Thai people think the foreigners smell stinky.

Your a kind sensible generous caring person who smells or you smell great but are a piece of sh*t which does the Thai prefer??

"What do you want Thai people to know about yourself? " As little as possible. Information is power. Steve McQueen in Magnificent 7: Guy asks where he from? (Steve points behind himself) "Where you going?" Points ahead of himself.

"What do you want Thai people to know about yourself? " As little as possible. Information is power. Steve McQueen in Magnificent 7: Guy asks where he from? (Steve points behind himself) "Where you going?" Points ahead of himself.

Well, I guess you don't like sharing.

You have body order

Yeah, been waiting since before Christmas - not here yet.

Oh I am sorry I meant you smell. Some Thai people think the foreigners smell stinky.

Your a kind sensible generous caring person who smells or you smell great but are a piece of sh*t which does the Thai prefer??

I say they prefer the one that has a good heart and smell great! I know I do.

• Like 1

555, why are you not cooperating? I am trying to establish the relationship between Thais and foreigners.

The point many are trying to make is that they don't want much if any relationships with the locals. Some people get overwhelmed by the fact that Thais are always "rudely" butting in and wanting to know things about us that are considered private back home. Like asking us where we are going, have we eaten yet all the time. Or even worse, how much money do you make, why do you farang like dark-skinned girls, etc.

Fact is, many foreigners here only want to associate with other foreigners, and those Thais that provide them with the goods and services they want at a fair price.

Others, myself included, think they're missing out on a lot that Thailand has to offer, but their POV is a valid one, to each their own.

• Like 1

555, why are you not cooperating? I am trying to establish the relationship between Thais and foreigners.

The point many are trying to make is that they don't want much if any relationships with the locals. Some people get overwhelmed by the fact that Thais are always "rudely" butting in and wanting to know things about us that are considered private back home. Like asking us where we are going, have we eaten yet all the time. Or even worse, how much money do you make, why do you farang like dark-skinned girls, etc.

Fact is, many foreigners here only want to associate with other foreigners, and those Thais that provide them with the goods and services they want at a fair price.

Others, myself included, think they're missing out on a lot that Thailand has to offer, but their POV is a valid one, to each their own.

Your point is well taking. To live together, one must know the other's preferences, so open up a little won't hurt.

I am not intellectually inferior simply because I don't seem to be able to get my head around your language.

Many farangs have been quite well educated about useless stuff!

I too am often under the misconception that because you do not speak English well, you are dumb and raising my voice helps!

From what I can see there is nothing to be misconceived, we are all exactly what we appear to be.

So the following are true then?

1. You have body order

2. You rich

3. You like sex

4. You are a spoiler

5. You don't understand Thai culture

Well Somsrisonphimai, this is what foreigners see, hear, and experience in Thailand everyday:

1. Showering and deodorant are optional (please go on the MRT at rush hour if you doubt this).

2. Becoming rich even if it hurts others is a goal shared by many.

3. From the amount of single, pregnant females, Thais must also like sex.

4. Spoiling another person's gains is acceptable as long as you don't get caught.

5. If Thais cheat, lie, or treat foreigners badly it's the foreigners' fault for not understanding 'Thai culture'.