Change Mai vs Bangkok house rental prices ?

Does anyone have any ideas on the difference in house rental prices between Chang Mai and the Bangna or outskirts areas of Bangkok?

What could I expect to be able to rent in each area if I had around 50,000 a month available for rental ?

Anyone have opinions on which place is the best place to live for a retired guy with long term Filipina girlfriend who likes an easy life, cafes to visit and shopping malls.

Thanks in advance

We rent a 3 bedroom, 3 bath house with decent size land in a nice/guarded development about 15/20 minutes from the airport/downtown. We pay 22,000 Baht per month in Chiang Mai. We used to rent a similar size house is Bangkok for just over 100,000 Baht per month.

50,000 Baht will get you a nice apartment in Bangkok though. My first place was a 120 sqm apartment in Silom and that ran 45,000 Baht a month. You won't have any issues renting a place in CM with that budget.

Although CM wouldn't be my first choice of places.

Edited by kurtmartens

For those that might want to help further, you might want to say: why only CM vs. BKK? Plenty of other interesting areas in LOS that are cheap, and still lively enough (as long as you don't have to go to the airport frequently.)

My own opinion is that BKK offers a lot - good deals on condo rents, cheap transport, a huge variety of things to do, and not overrun with tourists.

Totally agree. Personally I prefer BKK over CM - too many backpackers and tourists in CM. We are moving back to BKK this year. I would also agree with "plenty of other interesting areas" instead of CM if someone doesn't want the expense of living in BKK. Biggest hassle for me living outside of the Capital has been having to take a second flight to get home after landing in BKK. Small issue, but when you fly a lot ... it becomes a hassle.

• Like 1

with long term Filipina girlfriend

There is your problem right there.

What sort of visa will the g/f be on?

Have you taken into account visa runs/90 reporting, visa extensions?

Suggest you seriously consider her visa options and reconsider where you choose to live.

Why do you mention Bkk and CM?

Much better alternatives IMHO.

Didnt you mention on a previous thread you were living in Bang Kapi?

In BangNa you can rent a decent house on a moo baan for about 20-25k baht per month.

Up Fashion Island way you can rent a Thai style house for half of the above.

Please be more specific and tell us what you want.

If I were you I would head for Pattaya, thats of course assuming neither you or the g/f speak/read Thai.

One other point: cost seems to be an issue, is that right? With a live-in GF (especially a Filipina), you might seriously consider Cambodia. The COL can be phenomenally cheap.

Housing in Cambo can be tricky - river views in PNH will cost you (ie, upwards of $800 for a 2BR with large balcony, though that's a bargain for river views.) But if you go a few streets back from the river in PNH, or to the sometimes very attractive beach areas, such as vibrant SHV or sleepy Koh Kong, the rent can be cheap indeed.

Most convenient: for visa, you simply just buy an annual visa for you and GF. With the savings, you then have enough left over to make a periodic trip into LOS, either by bus through KK or by Angkor Air's and Air Asia's bargain flights. Moreover, Saigon is right on your border, and a great - and cheap - excursion, in some ways much better than BKK itself.

I might ask why you are not thinking of Philippines? But I'm sure you have some reason for it.

With a live-in GF, I would give serious thought to perching yourself for a while in SHV and making regular trips into Saigon ($10 bus ride) for excitement. Imports and alcohol in Cambo are not taxed, so you have a great selection of bargain priced goods from back home, wines, proper breads. Both Viet Nan and Cambo are dollar-based economies. Lots to be said in favor. Still may drawbacks too, though, of course.

To be honest, except for those with vested interests (job, condo, wife, etc), Thailand is quickly becoming less and less attractive than Saigon (but not Hanoi) and Cambo on a number of points, though certainly not all.

I have found almost everything is a little more expensive in CM. Must be the cost of transportation. However, housing is considerable less than Bangkok. Land cost in CM is increasing quickly so in the years to come the price may be more equal - but that could be many years to come.

I was living in Bangkok and later Chiang Mai area for more than 2 years before moving to Chiang Rai. I think Chiang Rai is the best Northern city in every way, and with 50000thb you can rent a mansion here with an amazing mountain or river view on the best location and close to town...something you cannot get in Chiang Mai for double of that money....

Bangkok?..never again!

If you never visited Chiang Rai...just ask expats at the chiangraities ..or e-mail me.

Edited by Maestro
Removed off-topic part of post.
  • Like 1

50K per month will get you an amazing place in Bang Na. Any nice young lady will love Bangkok so much more than CM. Just go up there with her if you can for a one week vacation. By day 4 or 5 she will be bored to tears. Bangkok has so many nice cafes and malls and life here is very easy with the world at your door step. Since she is from a place with beaches you can easily get to Hua Hin or Ko samed for a quick getaway and could never do this in CM. Pattaya is a disgusting place with a filthy beach and the worst tourists. Just read about how gross it is on a daily basis on this forum. CM also has this burning season which according to many posters has started already and goes through all of March! Everyone says it is horrible. Many people on this forum have not been to Bangkok since the 70's or 80's and give advice like they are sitting on their balcony on Satorn! When I look off my balcony now I can see all across BKK and see blue sky and at night lots of stars and twinkling sky scrapers, the city view is awesome! I love to visit Lumpini park and for some real Bangkok nature take a bike tour of Ban Kra Chow it's really like a jungle just accross the river from Klong Toey you can bike for miles and just see great nature. I love Bangkok and so will you.

• Like 1

50K per month will get you an amazing place in Bang Na. Any nice young lady will love Bangkok so much more than CM. Just go up there with her if you can for a one week vacation. By day 4 or 5 she will be bored to tears. Bangkok has so many nice cafes and malls and life here is very easy with the world at your door step. Since she is from a place with beaches you can easily get to Hua Hin or Ko samed for a quick getaway and could never do this in CM. Pattaya is a disgusting place with a filthy beach and the worst tourists. Just read about how gross it is on a daily basis on this forum. CM also has this burning season which according to many posters has started already and goes through all of March! Everyone says it is horrible. Many people on this forum have not been to Bangkok since the 70's or 80's and give advice like they are sitting on their balcony on Satorn! When I look off my balcony now I can see all across BKK and see blue sky and at night lots of stars and twinkling sky scrapers, the city view is awesome! I love to visit Lumpini park and for some real Bangkok nature take a bike tour of Ban Kra Chow it's really like a jungle just accross the river from Klong Toey you can bike for miles and just see great nature. I love Bangkok and so will you.

I could not agree more about Pattaya, I have been making short visits there on and off for more then 10 years now and as we know it was always a sleazy shit hole but I didn't mind it for just a few days to have some fun now and then...... BUT after not going for more than 1 year I made a recent visit and I think that will be my last time... The place is just over run with Russians (mostly mafia and criminal types) and also there are Arabs everywhere, I could not believe how bad is got in recent times..... Despite those words I am not a racist and one of Thailands great strengths (in particular Pattaya) is it was such a melting pot of people and cultures from all over the world and they just all seemed to get along.... that has all changed now that these 2 groups almost totally dominate the place...... As mentioned in a earlier post, give Cambodia a try, Sihanoukville is pretty good and cheaper than Thailand and access to HCMC is quite easy....Its well worth a closer look, and more and more expats are doing just that.

• Like 1

Suggest you seriously consider her visa options and reconsider where you choose to live.

In BangNa you can rent a decent house on a moo baan for about 20-25k baht per month.

If I were you I would head for Pattaya, thats of course assuming neither you or the g/f speak/read Thai.

My gf would hopefully be able to get an ED visa and continue with that for at least a couple of years. She would like to learn some Thai anyway and is already educated so she has no problem in doing more learning. BKK and CM were mentioned as we have already checked out Puket, Pattaya and Hua Hin. Those areas had either too many tourists or in the case of HH it was a bit too quiet for us. We did like CM outside of the main tourist area. "Living in Bang Kapi" in the sense of being there for over a month but we've not settled in any place yet. Just looking into more long-term options. What / where is "Fashion Island" ? Also are there any other areas around BKK that you could suggest. We found Bang Kapi a little bit too quiet and far out while we're not yet sure of Bang Na yet as our only trips there have been trips to the mall and around that area. Thanks in advance for your advice.

I'm thinking about relocating from Hua Hin to Chiang Mai but really concerned about the burning season, air pollution, etc. Should I be??

Jim

Jim, I'm also interested in the same thing so I hope we get some replies. What's your reason for thinking to move to Chang Mai from Hua Hin?

I'm thinking about relocating from Hua Hin to Chiang Mai but really concerned about the burning season, air pollution, etc. Should I be??

Jim

Jim, I'm also interested in the same thing so I hope we get some replies. What's your reason for thinking to move to Chang Mai from Hua Hin?

Just go and stay there for a month or two in the dry/burning season and see for yourself instead of relying on other peoples opinions.

There are some very nice new gated communities just 15 minutes south of Chiang Mai en route to Hang Dong. Quite a few have club houses which have swimming pools and others also have golf courses.Rent for houses is 20,000 - 25,000 Baht, depending whether the house is in a new or est'd community. Good luck with your relocation. About the only pollution in Chiang Mai is during the short-lived burning season. Good luck with your search.

Hi Jim,

Lived in Bangkok for 7 years, now in Chiang Mai. The burning season is a drawback, but I found pollution from cars in Bangkok much worse. In any event, I have just completed building a new home in Chiang Mai. Won't be available for rent/lease until we leave for U.S. at end of May- either a 1 or 2 year lease. But it is a great new home, situated in a gated community.

House includes following: All new furniture, 2 flat screens, 5 air cond., western style kitchen, private pool ( 20ft x 40ft), waterfall, spa,, pool house/bath, maid room, 4 bedroom, 5 bathroom, office, lots of closet space(including walk-in closet in master. All bedrooms include ensuite bathrooms.

Let me know if you would like further details/photos. We will most likely ask 60,000 per month which will include professional pool service and yard service.

Good luck with your move, mav

My gf would hopefully be able to get an ED visa and continue with that for at least a couple of years. She would like to learn some Thai anyway and is already educated so she has no problem in doing more learning. BKK and CM were mentioned as we have already checked out Puket, Pattaya and Hua Hin. Those areas had either too many tourists or in the case of HH it was a bit too quiet for us. We did like CM outside of the main tourist area. "Living in Bang Kapi" in the sense of being there for over a month but we've not settled in any place yet. Just looking into more long-term options. What / where is "Fashion Island" ? Also are there any other areas around BKK that you could suggest. We found Bang Kapi a little bit too quiet and far out while we're not yet sure of Bang Na yet as our only trips there have been trips to the mall and around that area. Thanks in advance for your advice.

Fashion Island is yet another mega mall out Min Buri way, basically out in the sticks, no decent transport to the city centre.

If you found Bang Kapi boring you will find Bang Na just as boring.

If I were you and you want Bkk, these are two areas to consider, Thong Lor and Ari/Aree (depending on how its written).

I look on the whole of Bkk as nothing more than one giant shopping mall, I have no time for these malls, all the bloody same, its whats next to these malls I like.

Bang Kapi for example, I like visiting Tawana Square right next door to The Mall Bang Kapi, same for Panthip Plaza 2, just up the road in Min Buri Chatuchak 2, HappyLand, N Mark Plaza, It Square.

I guess if you are looking for western/farang life style/night life you would find it boring.

Personally I love the area, plenty of Thai night life, check out Ram opposite the uni at night.

If you gf is serious about learning Thai, the two areas I mentioned are well served by the BTS, they will take her straight to Asoke where she can study at UTL in Times Square building, plenty of other Asians studying there, in fact as a farang I was the only farang in the class.

For the 50k baht per month you mention for rent, its basically take your pick, but dont be suckered into paying over the odds, do some research.

HH, agree, boring.

The other places you mention are all tourist towns, what did you expect, no tourists?

The beauty of these tourist towns is, you dont need to speak Thai, although in the case of Pattaya a smittering of Russian is probably needed these days.

As for living here, everything is a compromise, some may consider where I live to be out in the sticks/boring, but at least I dont live in a tourist ghetto and all that entails.

Cant wait to move full time to Chan, but thats another story.

WOW, how the other half live. We pay 6,200 baht a month for a 2-bed with air-con and garden, and there's a house in the same soi that's proving hard to let because it is a whopping 7,000 ! ;-) But then, it is Isaan and miles from both the glamorous cities under consideration. Just to let newbies know - you don't have to be MINTED to have a good standard of life in LoS ! And i must say, if i had to pay a rent which equals what i'd have to pay in Europe - i would not rate S-East Asia quite so much, if at all.

• Like 1

Hi Jim,

Lived in Bangkok for 7 years, now in Chiang Mai. The burning season is a drawback, but I found pollution from cars in Bangkok much worse. In any event, I have just completed building a new home in Chiang Mai. Won't be available for rent/lease until we leave for U.S. at end of May- either a 1 or 2 year lease. But it is a great new home, situated in a gated community.

House includes following: All new furniture, 2 flat screens, 5 air cond., western style kitchen, private pool ( 20ft x 40ft), waterfall, spa,, pool house/bath, maid room, 4 bedroom, 5 bathroom, office, lots of closet space(including walk-in closet in master. All bedrooms include ensuite bathrooms.

Let me know if you would like further details/photos. We will most likely ask 60,000 per month which will include professional pool service and yard service.

Good luck with your move, mav

You exaggerate greatly when you say pollution in BKK is worse than burning season in CM. Of course, burning season only lasts three months.