Should I Cancel my Trip to Bangkok?

Jonathan Fairfield

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If i didnt live here, id stay away. As i do live in Bangkok, i took advantage of my passport renewal today rather than in march and im going to Hua Hin for a week on saturday. Id rather not be here if i can be elsewhere

Edited by JackieMager
  • Like 1

I will be arriving in Bangkok on Sunday morning, have to go straight to Pattaya (drop off the wife) and then return to Bangkok in the evening. Our office in Silom will be open and all staff have been told to attend work. I don't expect any problems personally other than perhaps some travel inconveniencies.

Why not hit Phuket instead? No risk but Bangkok, well, nobody knows what will happen. If you are not here for the girls but you come for the waterfalls, culture etc, Chiang Mai is great at this time of year.

Yes - a good, balanced original post.

My office was right in the middle of the 2010 Red Shirt camp and we only needed to close for 1 week while there was some shooting and tyre burning - the rest of the time we just got on with it like everyone else in Bangkok.

Same during the floods - office open throughout but some staff needed time off to sort out the mess back home when outer Bangkok flooded.

As a precaution we're closing the office on Monday 13th as travel may be difficult - but as I live near Asoke I can take a look around the area to see if we can open on the 14th.

If you have a business then you'll be the same as me - Keep Calm and Carry On.

If you are planning a holiday - then unless you have kids I would still say carry on ..... fewer other tourists and a weakening Baht will add to the enjoyment and you'll be able to go where you want so long as you are flexible with your travel plans (road jammed - try BTS. No BTS - get on a Motorbike Taxi).

The holiday areas outside of Bangkok should all be OK anyway.

But if you have young children and were planning to stay in Bangkok .... then perhaps change plans and go to a resort area or the North instead - just because we're all more risk averse with youngsters.

Anything other than emergency surgery at Bumrungrad I would postpone for a couple

of weeks......Remember 2010.........A bullet proof vest would probably help is your

heading into BKK before the end of the month.

It may look like from a 'safe' distance - but the reality is that even in the darkest (smokiest) phase of 2010 most people were just going about their normal business ... with the exception of the staff in Zen anyway.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

As I mentioned above - there was really only one week of serious disruption to some businesses..

The news reporters all focus on the small areas with trouble - so the news distort the real picture.

Edited by Familyonthemove

Thanks for your insight. I wonder if you have any ideas, I'm arriving on the 31st Jan and have booked 3 nights BKK then away to Hua Hin.

As the Election is on Sunday do you think I would get away OK on the Monday. Do you know how the Election shut downs affects availability of restaurants and travel. Not bothered about the bars in Soi Cowboy etc.

Maybe a hardened traveller on his own and only himself to look after then ok the risk is yours come. But my advice is do not come with family or loved ones. Just really not worth the risk.

This is probably the best advice. On your own & "agile", you should have no real problems. This 5-day "shutdown" beginning on the 13th introduces just a bit of uncertainty (& drama...) however that might make family travel more of a challenge. If your travel insurance, or lack of it, is the decider, then I guess someone else has probably made the decision for you...

• Like 1

Soi Cowboy is a good indicator... if dancing on the table continues, it is biz as usual in Bangkok...

Heading there tonight, will update on table status tomorrow

There you go...That's the spirit. thumbsup.gif

Don't let politics keep a man down. biggrin.png

Especially when you're not going to change a dame thing,

but your drawers; the next day. Lol

Do update though, and pics are always a great way to prove you were there. w00t.gif

• Like 2

Thanks for your insight. I wonder if you have any ideas, I'm arriving on the 31st Jan and have booked 3 nights BKK then away to Hua Hin.

As the Election is on Sunday do you think I would get away OK on the Monday. Do you know how the Election shut downs affects availability of restaurants and travel. Not bothered about the bars in Soi Cowboy etc.

These are all great questions.

But as you can guess...with this being Thailand.

Your guess is a good as the next bloke.

Most people are thinking this is just going to blow over,

but things usually get worse before they get better, Yah?

To play it safe you either jet down to Hua Hin at first chance,

or you sneak around like a hawk,

and enjoy the vacancies at all your favorite spots.

Of course there should be great deals to be had in Bkk.

It's just how to go about getting around.

Not to mention, once you figure out a way to get around,

where you wish to go,

is it really safe?

People are bitting on this not being about us, so of course it's safe,

but no one is figuring in the crazy nuts that will want some attention of there own,

and decide to conceal some less desirable items that have had a nasty habit of going boom at the worst of times.

This is what I would be concerned with.

These are all great questions.

But as you can guess...with this being Thailand.

Your guess is a good as the next bloke.

Most people are thinking this is just going to blow over,

but things usually get worse before they get better, Yah?

To play it safe you either jet down to Hua Hin at first chance,

or you sneak around like a hawk,

and enjoy the vacancies at all your favorite spots.

Of course there should be great deals to be had in Bkk.

It's just how to go about getting around.

Not to mention, once you figure out a way to get around,

where you wish to go,

is it really safe?

People are bitting on this not being about us, so of course it's safe,

but no one is figuring in the crazy nuts that will want some attention of there own,

and decide to conceal some less desirable items that have had a nasty habit of going boom at the worst of times.

This is what I would be concerned with.

Edited by ToneG

I have been in Bangkok for the last three or four coups and by the way, I think there have been 23 coups since 1932, not 15. The 1991 coup was bad when Suchinda loosed the army on the protestors. Hundreds were gunned down in the streets and thousands rounded up and shot and buried in mass graves.

They usually follow the same pattern as this year with denial by the army that a coup is going to happen and tank movements, that we are told, have nothing to do with a planned coup.

They (the coups) usually happen a day or two after I arrive back in BKK. I am on a skiing holiday in Canada at the moment and I arrive back in BKK on 17th. I wonder if I miss this one.

Source: http://archive.worldhistoria.com/topic15715.html

• Like 1

Thanks for your reply. Yes difficult to predict what will happen in 3 weeks time. Maybe wait to see what goes on next week.

Does anyone know if stuff like shops, restaurants are open on Election day and which days the close up will be.

Thanks ToneG

While Bangkok and some larger towns up north may experience some disruptions,

in general this doesn't affect tourists that much. But there will be some, in particular

Bangkok traffic always an issue will be much worse.

That said there is a whole lot of Thailand that will not be in upheaval at all, coup or not.

the whole tourist friendly south for instance Phucket/Krabi, Samui/Phagnan/ Tao, Pattaya

And even Chaing Mai will be pretty much business as usual with access methods

that need not even go into downtown Bangkok.

Unless you go searching for the rally's or ignore your hotels front desk advice for the day,

you should hardly notice most of it. And because of cancellations you will

get better baht and better flexibility to change your mind and move about.

IMHO

Depends...

Chinese new year is on that same weekend.

With the ban of alcohol sales during elections, you might get stuck in booze runners' traffic jams.

I'm due in Samui for 3 weeks, transiting via Bangkok, in February. So should be out of the firing line unless someone decides to blockade the airport....

However, should the UK Foreign Office advise against travel to Thailand then that invalidates travel insurance and personally I wouldn't really be willing to take the risk, particularly as I have a pre-existing medical condition which although is very well controlled, "ya never know" and a large medical bill borne by me isn't worth it.

I've done a bit of checking and should the advisory be declared then I'll get my various flight bookings refunded if required. Hopefully it won't come to that. But I'd guess other tourists may be wondering whether it's wise to commit money upfront at this stage or start looking elsewhere. Cannot be healthy for tourism.

I'm due in from LHR on Eva, I believe they are partial to cancelling flights if the load factor is too low but I'm coming on Friday night which is usually full. Midweek might be more of a problem?

Just come. Nothing has happened. If you feel unsafe once you get to BKK simply leave. YOU will be able to tell the taxi driver of a nice new comfortable one with great a/c how much ( within some reason) YOU will pay to go to Pattaya, or Hua Hin or Kao Yai or Kanchanaburi or Ban Phe/Samed etc. and just hang out and enjoy!! Try to find someone to split the fare with you and it's not much at all. P.S. I think you should not read this forum Sat or Sunday because there are soooooooo many people ( not even in BKK) who will be spuuuuuuuing all kinds of dooms day B.S. this weekend. They have absolutely nothing else to do.

The main issue from my perspective is that traffic gets seriously awful (more so than the already awful norm) and this is not only immediately where the protests are, it backs up for quite a ways sometimes.

It's not that easy to know in advance where this is happening, the demonstrations move about. I've been stuck in horrible jams several times in the past 2 weeks as a result.

So anyone travelling to Bkk especially this week should allow for extra time getting to and from airports and preferrably stay within walking distance of the BTS and/or to areas you plan to visit, i.e. try to avoid having to get around much by taxi. A hotel close to an expressway will also be helpful in terms of to and from airport.

Hi

This is my first post here, so welcome everybody :)

I have a question - is it possible, that the main tourist attractions may be closed on 2.02 - for example, Golden Buddha, China Town or Dusit?

Someone mentioned that the sale of alcohol may be banned, in which day can be so?

30.01 in the morning I'm flying to Chiang Mai, back 01.02 and both the first and the second February I like to walk around Bangkok. 2.02 in the afternoon I plan to drive to Pattaya (from the area of ​​Patpong).

Can you suggest anything?

It is not my first trip to Thailand, but the first during Election ;)

Skytrain is the obvious way to get around but if everyone else has the same idea then the stations and trains may not cope very well. Talking to a couple of taxi drivers near me and they say they won't be going in to central Bangkok at all next week as they are worried about getting caught up in the protests. Some of my neighbors said they will try working from home rather than risk getting stuck in Bangkok. On Sunday my local Tesco was the busiest I have seen it in a while with people stocking up just in case.

I agree with chicken George, I was in BKK during the last riots when the shopping centre got burned down. I'm out of town now because I think it's going to turn very nasty indeed. I hope I'm wrong, but there are just so many underlying issues this time.