Is it wise to give blanket '100% safein BKK' advise

Konini

I've read many threads giving this advise, and while I have no desire to run around screaming "Danger, Danger" there is something I think people aren't really thinking about.

Several years ago I was reading Lonely Planets South East Asia book and had been reading about Indonesia. This was pre-tsunami they warned (rightly) about the dangers of travelling to several places, but, and I'm paraphrasing because I haven't got the book any longer, as always Bail is as safe as ever. The next morning I got up and it being a Sunday I put the TV on for the news. Bali had been hit by explosions, which we now know to have been bombs which killed well over 100 people and terribly maimed and burnt many more. When my husband got up I told him what had happened and thought about book I had been reading in bed the night before - how horrible would the people who wrote those words be feeling? I wondered if they wished that they had written 'Previously, there have been no problems' or 'Up to now there have been no problems'.

It's very, very unlikely that anything untoward will happen to a sensible tourist who keeps at a safe distance from protests, and I hope I am right. It's very unlikely that the airport will close. It's quite unlikely that there will be another bomb in Bali and very unlikely that there will be another massive tsunami in the Indian Ocean and very, very unlikely that Mt Ruapehu will erupt.

But I'd never say never.

So should we tone the 'Everything will be OK if you avoid protesters' down just a tad?

I'm not trying to be controversial - imagine how bad you would feel if you told someone it was OK to come and they got hurt or had a ruined holiday because of the protests.

• Like 1

If anyone is concerned about the tiny additional level of risk posed by the protests, they should be advise not to come to Thailand at all, since the normal background levels of life-threatening risks here are so much greater in normal times than what we're used to back home.

Trying to take the risk out of life, IMO takes all the life out of life.

Human life just isn't that valuable, including my own. Stuff happens, and death or dismemberment is just a part of the normal run of things.

• Like 2

These are the same dudes that closed the airport the last time. Why would this time be different?

And it wasn't a big deal then either, friends of mine were very happy to be "forced" to spend an extra week in Thailand, "sorry boss can't get back to work at the moment, not my fault"!

Not worried in the slightest - if we die we die not that we're going to and will avoid the protests on the insistence of the other half otherwise I would be having a gander. Wish it wasn't happening but we are in no position to influence it either way. History in the making though and was here for the last coup on holiday so history seems to be repeating itself sadly.

These are the same dudes that closed the airport the last time. Why would this time be different?

and the reds that are also grouping up tried to burn down Bangkok and blow up a hospital last time so whats your point........

Spend enough time in Thailand and it would be pretty hard to avoid being here during a coup or uprising of some sort. These things usually barely ruffle the surface of daily life in most places, and I suspect the same will remain true even in the event of "full-on civil war" that some doom-mongers are touting, even when the unmentionable-but-inevitable event occurs.

and the reds that are also grouping up tried to burn down Bangkok and blow up a hospital last time so whats your point........

The reds burn down malls and the current protestors close airports. That's my point. I was responding to a question, will the airport close. OK?

• Like 1

Yes and I was here for that too, in fact walked through the camp on Silom two days before the shootings.

Nothing dangerous about it at all, had a great time chatting to the very nice folk there.

Odds of being in the wrong place at the wrong time much greater every time I head out in traffic or cross the street or go out drinking or any of the normal activities we all engage in here every day.

Sure that journalist got shot in the head, but it was his job to be there for long periods of time, personally I wouldn't choose to do that. But then only one journo got killed out of how many hundreds that were around at the time?

Much much riskier to get in a mini-van heading upcountry, or even driving myself during one of the drunkier holidays. Or crewing a yacht in the Andaman sea, rock climbing on Koh Phi Phi etc etc.

My advice stands - if you're afraid of the risks posed by protests here, you shouldn't ever come at all.

Yes and I was here for that too, in fact walked through the camp on Silom two days before the shootings.

Nothing dangerous about it at all, had a great time chatting to the very nice folk there.

Odds of being in the wrong place at the wrong time much greater every time I head out in traffic or cross the street or go out drinking or any of the normal activities we all engage in here every day.

Sure that journalist got shot in the head, but it was his job to be there for long periods of time, personally I wouldn't choose to do that. But then only one journo got killed out of how many hundreds that were around at the time?

Much much riskier to get in a mini-van heading upcountry, or even driving myself during one of the drunkier holidays. Or crewing a yacht in the Andaman sea, rock climbing on Koh Phi Phi etc etc.

My advice stands - if you're afraid of the risks posed by protests here, you shouldn't ever come at all.

I don't think you answered the question. Which is,"Is it wise to give banket 100% safety in Bangkok?"

Well is it?

Edited by thailiketoo

100% safe can't be given to any city anywhere in the world. The biggest problem you'll have if these protests go forward is the inability to get around town. A major pain for a tourist. But as long as you avoid the major protest sites, you'll be quite safe. Of course some have been hit by stray bullets. It has happened.

The reason many are avoiding Bangkok now (and Thailand) is there are just too many other options. Why travel here when you can visit numerous other places and not have to worry about protests and airport closures. Not everybody has the option to wait out an airport closure for a week. Nor have the desire to put up with it.

It is never wise to advise people that a certain situation is 100% safe when the media, both official and private, have been giving out warnings. If something does happen then you are morally responsible.

I myself only go to Bangkok when I have to, and if I had to go on the 13th I would be more worried about the traffic than anything else. I lost 2 hours leaving the place last time I was there because of a demo.

I'm not addressing the idiotic surface question, but the "real" one, which is "do I have increased risk of danger during protests?"

And my answer, which I stand by, is that the political situation isn't increasing the actual risk of danger one iota.

If anything the fact that many people are keeping their heads down and not going out may actually REDUCE the usual random dangers that exist here.

Walking in Bangkok a few blocks from even a violent protest is most likely safer than doing so in most urban neighborhoods in North America in "normal" times.

And of course I don't have any "moral responsibility" if someone takes my advice but happens to get hit in the head by a random stray bullet.

Edited by wym

If anyone is concerned about the tiny additional level of risk posed by the protests, they should be advise not to come to Thailand at all, since the normal background levels of life-threatening risks here are so much greater in normal times than what we're used to back home.

Human life just isn't that valuable, including my own. Stuff happens, and death or dismemberment is just a part of the normal run of things.

It isn't about people taking perceived risks,. Nowhere in the world is 100% safe of course, bad choice of phrase on my part. Bad subject/title wording even (yes, I missed a missing space out too).

It's simply about whether we should be telling other people that there is no possibility of problems.

The reds burn down malls and the current protestors close airports. That's my point. I was responding to a question, will the airport close. OK?

They have all said they would not close the airport........Now all the roads leading into the airport....That's another story!

It's simply about whether we should be telling other people that there is no possibility of problems.

I haven't seen anyone saying that anyway, most qualify their answer a bit.

I feel it's very important that those with real knowledge and experience with the local scene do our part to counteract the hyperactive fear-mongering of the mainstream media.

Most people new to Thailand that would ask this question would tend to be overly cautious and fearful to start with anyway.

Edited by wym

I haven't seen anyone saying that anyway, most qualify their answer a bit.

I feel it's very important that those with real knowledge and experience with the local scene do our part to counteract the hyperactive fear-mongering of the mainstream media.

Most people new to Thailand that would ask this question would tend to be overly cautious and fearful to start with anyway.

So you are in Bangkok now?

How very sad for me to read your point of view on life in your last paragraph. I won't go any further than to mention the parent's of handicapped and sick children who devote their whole lives to taking care of them and bringing them a little comfort. The list is endless of people who have sacrificed themselves in order to preserve life.

When the advice is given it is 100% safe there is the understood caveat that common sense should prevail, and natural

disasters beyond prediction are not factored in. One can be hit crossing a road in any country, You are infinitely more

likely to get attacked by a polar bear in the arctic as apposed to the tropics, and chances of getting frostbite in Thailand

are remote. That said the statement such and such a place is as safe as ever is probably the most accurate. This takes

into account what can be normally expected in the country or area. But it does not mean the area is safe. tongue.png

Anyone who tells you BKK is 100% safe 24-48 hours prior to the 13th and for 48-72 hours

after the 13th is CRAZY.....anyone who believes this is STUPID

I would tend to agree with you but it would be nice if there were some residents of BKK advising what parts of the city are safe and not safe as opposed to some nuts writing from the US or UK or wherever.

Since I have to travel in BKK for business and don't live there it would be nice if there were a thread for advice as opposed to searching through hundreds of odd posts.

Edited by thailiketoo

I was in Bangkok during the redshirt protests in 2010, staying at one of the soi rammbuttri hostels- so the democracy monument, one of the main rallying points, was very closeby. There was some gunfire at the end of Kaosanh rd but I think only a cop got hit, and not badly,... when I was there late last year, you could still see the bullet holes in the roller doors next to the airasia office. There were some people shot by a sniper at the democracy monument. A Belgian dude I met told me a grenade went off outside a tattoo parlour while he was getting some ink done, but he might have just been carrying on.My gf at the time also had some friends who said theyir taxi was rocked side to side by a bunch of protesters, but didn't mention their 'colour'.

So yes, it was dangerous in some respects.

On the other hand, I had no problems whatsoever. I flew from Vientiane to Bangkok to meet my mother who was visiting BKK for the first time. Before I arrived, she went off to the democracy monument by herself and said the redshirts were lovely haha. When I got there, she took me, and they actually were. There were families, people offered us something to eat, I bought a pair of redshirt sandals. There was some blood and burned out humvees, but there were tourists, monks, locals just milling around them taking photos and posing. There were people selling water pistols for the water festival and toy frogs that sang happy birthday in amongst it all. So it wasn't especially menacing. All across the city people were celebrating the water festival, at times it was easy to forget completely about the redshirts and worry more about getting drenched by teenagers with buckets full of ice- business was certainly as usual on Kaosanh, huge party with water cannons. Personally I felt that it was safe, people were just people. You'd have to be very unlucky or have to be deliberately looking for it to get caught up in violence, as I think both sides are careful not to attack foreigners- bad press etc, not attacking uninvolved parties etc. I'm going to Bangkok again in mid Febuary and I'm not off by it at all.

Edited by Tommo13

Depends on who you're giving the advice to. There are some people who I wouldn't advise coming to Bangkok at the best of times. And there are some people have a lot of common sense, know the culture and how to take care of themselves / avoid aggravating a situation . To those people I would have no problems advising them that Bangkok is safe (as things currently stand). Of course, the situation could change quickly, but if it's just the current crop of whistle blowers and uni students, I wouldn't be too worried. If it's a hot day at Asok, they'll all be inside Terminal 21 anyway.