Is it wise to give blanket '100% safein BKK' advise

Konini

No place on earth is "100% safe", 100% safety and human life do not go together.

However of all the potential dangers in Thailand for a foreign visitor, political demonstrations do not make the top 10 by any stretch. (First place clearly going to motor vehicle accidents).

There is a risk of major inconvenience related to the upheavals, of course. but physical danger is extremely unlikely unless someone is so foolish as to be out in the midst of a demonstration.

In addition, the problem is pretty much confined to Bangkok.

• Like 1

...it would be nice if there were some residents of BKK advising what parts of the city are safe and not safe as opposed to some nuts writing from the US or UK or wherever.

Since I have to travel in BKK for business and don't live there it would be nice if there were a thread for advice as opposed to searching through hundreds of odd posts.

Well, the shutdown happens on the 13th- it's not started yet. So it's pretty hard to say exactly how the situation is going to escalate (or not) post the 13th. As for what parts of the city are safe, I guess the parts of the city not affected by the shutdown would be the safest, but it's pretty subjective, protestors occupying an area doesn't automatically make it dangerous.

Again, it's hard to say because it's the 9th, but erring on the side of caution then I'd say parts of the city affected by the shutdown could be quite safe. They've announced what intersections are being taken already, Google would have helped you way faster than this forum ever will. smile.png

This is from the ever-reliable and wonderful Richard Barrow.

post-78695-0-30488300-1389244185_thumb.j

post-78695-0-27809400-1389244209_thumb.j

And make sure you read this.

http://www.richardbarrow.com/2014/01/everything-you-need-to-know-about-the-bangkok-shutdown/

But having lived here through coups, floods and mini-revoultions etc, it's always felt pretty safe provided common sense is used. If there's a big group of protestors occupying an area with the potential for trouble with police, army or opposition protestors, avoid that area.

edit : and it's also worth keeping up with this twitter hashtag- #BangkokShutdown - you don't need a twitter account to view it, just click on the link below, it's useful source of up-to-the-date info on the situation.

https://twitter.com/search?q=%23BangkokShutdown&src=hash

Edited by Rumblecat

...it would be nice if there were some residents of BKK advising what parts of the city are safe and not safe as opposed to some nuts writing from the US or UK or wherever.

Since I have to travel in BKK for business and don't live there it would be nice if there were a thread for advice as opposed to searching through hundreds of odd posts.

Well, the shutdown happens on the 13th- it's not started yet. So it's pretty hard to say exactly how the situation is going to escalate (or not) post the 13th. As for what parts of the city are safe, I guess the parts of the city not affected by the shutdown would be the safest, but it's pretty subjective, protestors occupying an area doesn't automatically make it dangerous.

Again, it's hard to say because it's the 9th, but erring on the side of caution then I'd say parts of the city affected by the shutdown could be quite safe. They've announced what intersections are being taken already, Google would have helped you way faster than this forum ever will. smile.png

This is from the ever-reliable and wonderful Richard Barrow.

attachicon.gif1497539_790447940969075_2140109834_n.jpg

attachicon.gif1528738_791611927519343_960145854_n.jpg

And make sure you read this.

http://www.richardbarrow.com/2014/01/everything-you-need-to-know-about-the-bangkok-shutdown/

But having lived here through coups, floods and mini-revoultions etc, it's always felt pretty safe provided common sense is used. If there's a big group of protestors occupying an area with the potential for trouble with police, army or opposition protestors, avoid that area.

edit : and it's also worth keeping up with this twitter hashtag- #BangkokShutdown - you don't need a twitter account to view it, just click on the link below, it's useful source of up-to-the-date info on the situation.

https://twitter.com/search?q=%23BangkokShutdown&src=hash

Thank you very much for that.

Anyone who tells you BKK is 100% safe 24-48 hours prior to the 13th and for 48-72 hours

after the 13th is CRAZY.....anyone who believes this is STUPID

I would tend to agree with you but it would be nice if there were some residents of BKK advising what parts of the city are safe and not safe as opposed to some nuts writing from the US or UK or wherever.

There is a thread, it's here:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/685198-information-on-protest-sites/

Also, for a great source of breaking news, I find this very good. Yes, I'm biased, but it's still about the best I've seen:

https://twitter.com/georgebkk

The most dangerous thing in Bangkok is probably the traffic. I bet there is a hundred times greater chans of a traffic accident then getting hurt by the demonstrations.

as the "shutdown" is supposed to bring traffic to a standstill, it may be the safest day of the year especially for pedestrians rolleyes.gif

Nothing is dangerous providing you get away with it,however, those who pontificate that this country presents no more rick to your personal well being than any other are slightly deluded.

Being in Thailand does indeed present a potentially higher risk to personal safety on a variety of fronts and common sense and personal awareness are valid attributes to minimize your chance of being a statistic.

Just ask the friends and family's of those who have come to grief through violence, civil disruption and traffic accidents how they feel about the risk factor. Not happening to you does not in any way negate the potential.

As far as advice to your friend, simply explain what you see as the pro's and con's of the situation and leave the decision up to him.

Nothing is dangerous providing you get away with it,however, those who pontificate that this country presents no more rick to your personal well being than any other are slightly deluded.

Being in Thailand does indeed present a potentially higher risk to personal safety on a variety of fronts and common sense and personal awareness are valid attributes to minimize your chance of being a statistic.

Just ask the friends and family's of those who have come to grief through violence, civil disruption and traffic accidents how they feel about the risk factor. Not happening to you does not in any way negate the potential.

As far as advice to your friend, simply explain what you see as the pro's and con's of the situation and leave the decision up to him.

Exactly what we're saying - being in Thailand has its dangers.

But the protest situation specifically doesn't appreciably add to the risk level if you use common sense.

Traffic inconvenience yes. . .

Let me provide you with a little advice on how to manage your fears. google the number of deaths by road accident in the last month in Thailand, then google the number of deaths due to demonstrations since they started.

That will give you an idea , you will find a few bomb incidents in the south but who cares, I guess you read a lot of western media where they tell you to fear the terrorist instilling hate and fear in their subjects through their propaganda machinesthroug media outlets and permitted journalists etc.

Do some research if anyone really was afraid for their own safety they would stay off the road, look at the israeli -Palestinian problem, insignificant deaths compared to road deaths in Israel in one month

I would avoid reading info on websites and blogs wich are heavely sponsored by people with vested intrests in the tourism industry concerning Thailand .Such comments of said people should be held legally accountable if something goes wrong.

During the 2010 red shirt riots i read an article of a young western couple that got caught up in a gun battle between the army and the red shirts in Bangkok because everybody on the net told all was well and lovey dovey and hotel staff where they where staying failed to tell them not to stroll in said part of Bangok after orders where given in all Thai media that deadly force was going to be used the hotel was not far from the red shirt stronghold apparently.

Edited by Kudel

Where in the world is anywhere 100% safe? No where! I live here in Thailand and generally find it safe (knock on wood ....never had a problem or confrontation in my 10 years here...other than on TV),,,,

To me, the key is to use "common sense". For some reason when people go on holiday they leave their "common sense" at home. DON'T....

Precisely. This OP is the mother of all drama queens: time to start getting out more...

If you have concerns, then don't come. If you disagree with someone else's recommendations, just say so! But leave off trying to shutdown those who are simply sharing their honest opinions. Of all the places in the WORLD where political demonstration could be occurring, including the so-called "advanced" western democracies by the way, Thailand has GOT to be among the most benign and LEAST threatening to foreigners who don't involve themselves. To suggest that those responding to simple requests for information become themselves responsible for any incidents which DO occur is absolutely ludicrous.

• Like 2

Well, anytime you have military on the street it's not 100% safe. If you see cops behind barricades that's not safe either. Same goes for tear gas and water cannons. Not really safe.

It's probably safe if you avoid those particular areas where such things are happening. The main danger would be getting sidetracked for one reason or another, maybe because of traffic problems or whatever and getting caught up in things or wanting to take pictures and observe out of curiosity. It's also not a good idea to walk around witheither red or yellow clothing or bandanas on during the protest days.