Why is it so difficult to inflate motorbike tyres?

wicketkeeper

Buy a bicycle pump and a decent air pressure gauge. Pump it at home above the recommended psi, then release it down to the right pressure. In fact, this is more accurate since the tyre is still cold. Doing it at the petrol pump assuming there is an accurate gauge there, means you will be riding it there and that will not be right. The variance can be 3-4 psi.

You, sir, are a physicist after my own heart.

These important things of life,

Too few understand,

Since they refuse to like science or study science, especially if they are among the underclass, which is now the majority, in America, I am afraid.

I wish it were not so, and it used to be that Americans were better educated, but what you say is of course correct, that the temperature can make quite a bit of difference in pressure.

Here in Thailand, the pressure at night can vary from the daytime temperature by about 20 degrees C, and also the riding of the bike adds another few degrees. This is why you should probably check your tyre pressure more frequently than most of us do, I imagine.

Buy a bicycle pump and a decent air pressure gauge. Pump it at home above the recommended psi, then release it down to the right pressure. In fact, this is more accurate since the tyre is still cold. Doing it at the petrol pump assuming there is an accurate gauge there, means you will be riding it there and that will not be right. The variance can be 3-4 psi.

You, sir, are a physicist after my own heart.

These important things of life,

Too few understand,

Since they refuse to like science or study science, especially if they are among the underclass, which is now the majority, in America, I am afraid.

I wish it were not so, and it used to be that Americans were better educated, but what you say is of course correct, that the temperature can make quite a bit of difference in pressure.

Here in Thailand, the pressure at night can vary from the daytime temperature by about 20 degrees C, and also the riding of the bike adds another few degrees. This is why you should probably check your tyre pressure more frequently than most of us do, I imagine.

Thanks. Was just sharing what I do with mine. Depending on the motorcycle, the recommend pressure can vary from different manufacturer.

Getting the correct pressure is imperative for the safe handling of a two wheeled vehicle. Ride dynamics changes dramatically. More so at higher speeds.

If you go to an auto tyre shop, you should be able to get nitrogen.

They do not expand and contract as much when heated up. The pressure stays pretty much the same thru the temperature variances.

That was the gas I was trying to think of, Nitrogen. (not Helium)

But why it would not expand as much as any other gas, I either did not learn, or I forget.

Because as I recall temperature varies with the inverse of something, acoring to Boyle's Law:

Which I forget, too.

1. I am not so sure you are correct about it not expanding as much as other gasses.

2. I think it is just a denser gas, so then it must have better properties for inflating tyres.

(Someone should check out this question and report, because i do not know, but now find it interesting.)

3. You ARE right about tire pressure being critical for proper handling of all bicycles and cars., for braking, and cornering, and ride comfort. A lot of research and design work goes into tire construction.

This is a very interesting topic, actually.

But why it would not expand as much as any other gas, I either did not learn, or I forget.

Because as I recall temperature varies with the inverse of something, acoring to Boyle's Law:

Which I forget, too.

1. I am not so sure you are correct about it not expanding as much as other gasses.

2. I think it is just a denser gas, so then it must have better properties for inflating tyres.

(Someone should check out this question and report, because i do not know, but now find it interesting.)

3. You ARE right about tire pressure being critical for proper handling of all bicycles and cars., for braking, and cornering, and ride comfort. A lot of research and design work goes into tire construction.

This is a very interesting topic, actually.

I have been wondering for several days how the hell I managed to keep air in my tires here for over 25 years with all the complications mentioned above. The Thai Tourist Authority really should provide warnings and advice on this topic to all new arrivals.

• Like 2

I have been wondering for several days how the hell I managed to keep air in my tires here for over 25 years with all the complications mentioned above. The Thai Tourist Authority really should provide warnings and advice on this topic to all new arrivals.

Then this thread doesn't pertain to you. Bye, now.

• Like 1

I wouldn't bet ranch or any other salad dressing on it. I don't doubt he speaks well but written phonetics are usually pathetic.

Where is the "r" in the word for fill, or the "u" in krap. A LOT of falangs speak that way, placing r's where the diphthong should be, etc.

Because the transliteration systems often write it that way, no doubt to make it easier for us to "sort of" pronounce Thai words.

But, better to speak poorly than not try to speak. I'm shamelessly stumbling along.

• Like 1

Brits don't usually pronounce the 'r' in words, so the 'r' put into the word 'derm' serves to aid the reader to pronounce the vowel correctly. Won't work for an American though, they'd probably pronounce it in a way to give the meaning 'bad'.

Transliterations are accent specific.

The International Phonetic Alphabet or similar can provide useful transliterations but attempts to transliterate into American or British English are generally pathetic as are those in most books used for teaching Thai. But it is certainly an issue worthy of great discussion here.coffee1.gif

Tubeless tires. Problem solved.

Using pressure gauges and unfamiliar air hoses is a pain best avoided.

Tubeless tires. Problem solved.

Only if you have mag wheels..

No problem, as the shop will install the wheels with the new tires. I had it done at a dealership and still didn't spend 8000 baht. It's been almost a year now with no flat tires. Well worth the investment.

But learning the international phonetic alphabet is as hard as learning the Thai script, so may as well learn the Thai from start.

No doubt but really few do it that way and many do not even bother to learn a basic level of the spoken language.

The questions on this forum would be reduced by half or more if the members spoke Thai enough to ask their neighbors, a shop keeper or a person on the street a simple question and understand the answer.

No lets see again, how do I get air into my tires. Oh, first I have to find out where the toilet is.

• Like 1

PTT stations are generally the best.... look to those that have an elbow fitted. Also, tubeless tyres are the way to go as they hold their pressure, though you'll need alloy wheels of course. But as mentioned above, if you struggle, perhaps consider songthaew. wink.png

• 1 month later...

I've checked at a couple of PTT digital readout type air pumps after filling with my own gauge and they have given me anything from 4-6 psi less than i asked for.

Nitrogen is used in commercial aircraft tires as it has no moisture in it as the moisture is more prone to heat up and expand upon landing and make the incidence of a blowout more likely. A lot of heat is generated very quickly when those big planes hit the tarmac and having a tire blowout makes it a lot more dangerous landing.

Some hotshot go kart racers put it in their tires as they think that the pressure will remain constant over a race distance and give them a slight advantage...probably makes no difference at all in the end.

As far as a road car or bike goes,it makes little to no difference at all compared to the free air that we all breath.

I use to deliver the Nitrogen to an airport and asked the Ground Engineers why they use it.

Edited by Coaster11
  • Like 1

I've checked at a couple of PTT digital readout type air pumps after filling with my own gauge and they have given me anything from 4-6 psi less than i asked for.

Nitrogen is used in commercial aircraft tires as it has no moisture in it as the moisture is more prone to heat up and expand upon landing and make the incidence of a blowout more likely. A lot of heat is generated very quickly when those big planes hit the tarmac and having a tire blowout makes it a lot more dangerous landing.

Some hotshot go kart racers put it in their tires as they think that the pressure will remain constant over a race distance and give them a slight advantage...probably makes no difference at all in the end.

As far as a road car or bike goes,it makes little to no difference at all compared to the free air that we all breath.

I use to deliver the Nitrogen to an airport and asked the Ground Engineers why they use it.

Yes, the PTT on canal road right after you turn off Suthep and head out to Hang Dong was putting out 7-8PSI less. I was wondering why my bike was riding like crap as I almost bailed in a corner. Got a gauge and was not happy.

• 6 months later...

buy a bicycle tire pump.

Really comes in handy if you have a slow leak.

Pump it up and drive to service place.

if you can't air up your tires at a station then maybe riding a motorbike is too complicated a task.

I agree with the OP 100%.

I find it bewildering that in a country that gets around on motorbikes, 90% of the gas station air hoses have fittings designed for cars and trucks and virtually impossible to get onto a motorcycle tire valve. I have yet to find a filling station in CM with a motorbike-friendly air hose fitting.

I also find that most repair shops routinely overfill tires. And not by a little, by a lot. That is why I use a tire gauge.

Also bewildering are the many snide responses to the OP's very valid observation/complaint.

• Like 2

A good bicycle pump plus a tire gauge is easier, more accurate, more convenient and probably faster than relying on a service station. After pumping up your tires a few times with a bicycle pump you can judge what the pressure is by how hard it is to push down the handle.

post-99062-0-90757300-1409744220_thumb.j

I have a good quality hand pump that I keep primarily for use on my bicycle. Every couple of weeks I use it to top up the correct pressure on my wife's motorbike tires. The gauges on the pumps at stations are usually inaccurate. As others have said, carry a gauge with you, the higher quality type with the round dial. Correctly inflated tires on a motorbike are a must, for safety and longer wear.

But isn't air 80% nitrogen anyway.

So you are going to get 20% extra?

Big deal.....where will you get that from

Yes, it is a BIG deal. Nitrogen works. I've been using nitrogen instead of air for years in various vehicles. The nitrogen increases the "top up" time from about monthly to about 6 monthly +. I'm a bit of a car nut & use a very accurate tire gauge on a monthly basis, rarely if ever, needs a top up on nitrogen.

Bridgestone / Michelin dealer on highway 118, left side, city end of highway, has nitrogen. Many other tire dealers also. Cost is 200 baht per car tire fill. They will check & top up, if necessary, free of charge for life of tire.

Cheers..... Mal.

buy a bicycle tire pump.

Really comes in handy if you have a slow leak.

Pump it up and drive to service place.

if you can't air up your tires at a station then maybe riding a motorbike is too complicated a task.

I agree with the OP 100%.

I find it bewildering that in a country that gets around on motorbikes, 90% of the gas station air hoses have fittings designed for cars and trucks and virtually impossible to get onto a motorcycle tire valve. I have yet to find a filling station in CM with a motorbike-friendly air hose fitting.

I also find that most repair shops routinely overfill tires. And not by a little, by a lot. That is why I use a tire gauge.

Also bewildering are the many snide responses to the OP's very valid observation/complaint.

Same thing wife had flat coming back from the market stopped at a bike repair shop job done arrived home and i checked the pressure it was 60 psi

should have been 30 psi as recommend by Honda. I have small compressor which use for the car and the bike, once a week job do it early in the morning .I use a Michelin led pressure gauge for the car and the bike I use a flexible hose type which screws into the valve. smile.png

• Like 1