Anxious days ahead for divided Thailand

webfact

Anxious days ahead for divided Thailand
Lindsay Murdoch
SOUTH-EAST ASIA CORRESPONDENT FOR FAIRFAX MEDIA

BANGKOK: -- How could have it come to this in the land of smiles?

Suthep Thaugsuban, a former deputy prime minister, deemed himself to be too busy leading an uprising to appear in court to face multiple murder charges over allegedly ordering a military crackdown in 2010 that left more than 90 people dead.

The judges agreed on Wednesday and postponed the hearing.

A warrant has been issued for Mr Suthep’s arrest on charges of treason for leading whistle-blowing protesters on Bangkok’s streets, but police have so far ignored it.

Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra complains her country has become a “state of lawlessness” while pleading for the support of the powerful military.

But military commanders have refused to prevent the storming and occupying of key institutions of her democratically-elected government, claiming they will remain neutral as the country hurtles towards what could be its worst-ever confrontation, notwithstanding 18 coups or attempted coups in Thailand's past.

Ms Yingluck’s elder brother, Thaksin Shinawatra, whom critics accuse of running the country using Ms Yingluck as a puppet, lives in self-imposed exile to avoid a two-year sentence for corruption.

Opposition Democratic Party leader Abhisit Vejjajiva has been indicted on the same murder charges as Mr Suthep.
At least he turned up in court last year to be formally indicted ahead of a hearing in March.

Full story: http://www.smh.com.au/world/anxious-days-ahead-for-divided-thailand-20140109-hv7wz.html

-- The Sydney Morning Herald 2014-01-09

• Like 2

Opposition Democratic Party leader Abhisit Vejjajiva has been indicted on the same murder charges as Mr Suthep.
At least he turned up in court last year to be formally indicted ahead of a hearing in March.

Is this true? That nasty Abhisit turning up in court to be indicted. Must be taking a leaf out of citizen Thaksin's rule book.

• Like 1

The PTP has it's own self to blame if the country is disintegrating before their eyes, they have been the countries administration, so why did this happen ,nothing to do I suppose , with political parties that have no policy and all sugar coated pill promises, no vision, but to feather their own nest, to strive for a totalitarian styled government, corruption at every turn and to let criminals go scot- free, yeah I wounder why people are sick n tired of the same old stuff the Junta of post 1992 did to Thailand , no wounder there is a divided Thailand. bah.gif

• Like 2

For those of you perched smugly on your little stools passing lofty judgement on Thailand's troubles, consider the perfect places from where you originated and tell me one that has not suffered upheavals of their own.

My own USA has had a civil war that killed a million and even now, more than 150 years later still has violent confrontations fueled by racial hatred and social injustice.

Great Britain, considered a wellspring of civilization had it's own civil war, killed off a king or two and has been unable to resolve the unrelenting hatreds of Ireland for more than a century.

Canada, France, Belgium, Spain; all with deep divisions within their societies that could boil over at any time...perhaps only Switzerland can claim a history of unsullied unanimity.

Before WW2, Thailand was essentially a feudal society, the citizens of Isan barely above serfdom. It is a new democracy and like all new democracies, struggles to find the intricate balances that make societies work.

This is a sad time. Like most, I hate seeing Thai on Thai violence knowing that the more blood is shed, the more the hatreds will become part of the culture and something that is very special here will be forever lost. We are, most of us here because of that special thing that is Thailand. Even those of you who do nothing but criticize and denigrate and nit pick every aspect of life are here for a reason...there is no place else where you fit and are tolerated as you are here.

We'll all be sorry when it's gone.

Speak for yourself.

Edited by metisdead
30) Do not modify someone else's post in your quoted reply, either with font or color changes, added emoticons, or altered wording.
  • Like 2

It has always been lawless, as long as you can pay somebody!

with all the constant corruption, the lack of guts with the police, and the Army! Thailand has always been corrupt, at least for the forty years I have been here, I do live here, live peacefully, but all my funds are shipped in from the U.S. can't see putting a large sum in a Thai Bank. the boogie man will get it someday.

• Like 1

Chchulainn obviously you are from Northern Ireland cant you see that this is just the same as republican terrorists ganing a foothold in the Northern Ireland government, for years the the terrorists that tried to disrupt the government cost thousands of peoples lives. You should have more sense and know that Suthep is nothing but a terrorist.

Sent from my GT-N8000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

For those of you perched smugly on your little stools passing lofty judgement on Thailand's troubles, consider the perfect places from where you originated and tell me one that has not suffered upheavals of their own.

My own USA has had a civil war that killed a million and even now, more than 150 years later still has violent confrontations fueled by racial hatred and social injustice.

Great Britain, considered a wellspring of civilization had it's own civil war, killed off a king or two and has been unable to resolve the unrelenting hatreds of Ireland for more than a century.

Canada, France, Belgium, Spain; all with deep divisions within their societies that could boil over at any time...perhaps only Switzerland can claim a history of unsullied unanimity.

Before WW2, Thailand was essentially a feudal society, the citizens of Isan barely above serfdom. It is a new democracy and like all new democracies, struggles to find the intricate balances that make societies work.

This is a sad time. Like most, I hate seeing Thai on Thai violence knowing that the more blood is shed, the more the hatreds will become part of the culture and something that is very special here will be forever lost. We are, most of us here because of that special thing that is Thailand. Even those of you who do nothing but criticize and denigrate and nit pick every aspect of life are here for a reason...there is no place else where you fit and are tolerated as you are here.

you forgot. AUSTRALIA !! but we are perfect...hehehe

Sent from my RM-892_apac_laos_thailand_219 using Tapatalk

Chchulainn obviously you are from Northern Ireland cant you see that this is just the same as republican terrorists ganing a foothold in the Northern Ireland government, for years the the terrorists that tried to disrupt the government cost thousands of peoples lives. You should have more sense and know that Suthep is nothing but a terrorist. Sent from my GT-N8000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

and so is Thaksin and his cronies and anyone else bringing evil on the innocents

Thailand has had 18 coups or attempted coups since 1932. But it seems that the TV keyboard warriors are capable only of thinking back a few years and laying all of Thailand's current problems at the foot of TS.

And I thought the West had a high standard of education.................

nope. Ask most Americans to name a country starting with U?... THEY FAIL

Thailand has had 18 coups or attempted coups since 1932. But it seems that the TV keyboard warriors are capable only of thinking back a few years and laying all of Thailand's current problems at the foot of TS.

And I thought the West had a high standard of education.................

nope. Ask most Americans to name a country starting with U?... THEY FAIL

That's easy. I can even name two, Utopia and Universal Studios...........

Chchulainn obviously you are from Northern Ireland cant you see that this is just the same as republican terrorists ganing a foothold in the Northern Ireland government, for years the the terrorists that tried to disrupt the government cost thousands of peoples lives. You should have more sense and know that Suthep is nothing but a terrorist. Sent from my GT-N8000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

These so called Republicans you speak of only grew out of English hatred for the poor catholics, who were treated like 3rd class citizens, denied proper housing, employment, justice and who tried for years to open dialogue that was refused, always. Better to stand up on your feet and fight than to be treated like dogs. If they didnt fight they would have no representation., you should have more sense than to believe this is like Ireland. I notice no mention of Loyalist killers.

Is this true? That nasty Abhisit turning up in court to be indicted. Must be taking a leaf out of citizen Thaksin's rule book.

Unlike Thaksin, Abhisit didn't run away like a little girl because he knows the charges are bogus. Thaksin claims his are bogus but ran away because he knows they are real...

• Like 2

Theslime spoken like a true Republican I seem to remember Protestant and Catholics living and working side by side before the Republican movement realized that they could get more and more through terrisom.

• Like 1

Speak for yourself.

I'm glad he posted his thoughts. It certainly speaks along my lines

Additionally, I prefer not to answer people with one-liners. Doing so misses an opportunity to express myself to support my position.

And the mob in 2010 weren't ? Violent terrorists controlled by a criminal from overseas.

I loathed the republican terrorists in NI. But, I have to admit that conciliation and working together had to be the way forward. (Won't go into the effects of Bush declaring a "war on terrorism" and its motivational effects in that direction).

I also have to admit that Paisley and McGuiness, once they put their minds to it, worked hard and effectively together. I've read some recent speeches by McGuiness and have to respect his honesty and candid retrospects. He knew things had to change, and he knew it takes guts, balls and hard work to achieve that. As did Paisley which is why they could work together.

However, Suthep is far from a terrorist. The Shin - more like the average NY crime family than a terrorist because they are driven by self interest and enrichment, not by some vision, ideology or religion. Purely common criminals. Can you imagine these two sides working effectively together ? For the good of the county?

Edited by Baerboxer

Speak for yourself.

I'm glad he posted his thoughts. It certainly speaks along my lines

Additionally, I prefer not to answer people with one-liners. Doing so misses an opportunity to express myself to support my position.

Wow - you managed four short sentences. Impressive.

"Simplicity - is the ultimate sophistication". Leonardo da Vinci.

One word is often enough!

Baerboxer I agree with you but I dont think you got my full meaning I was comparing the the way he is trying to hold the government hostage and disruption of public are all precursors of terrisom, and furthermore I agree that the current government are also criminals but they were voted in democratically (votes were bought on both sides). To me all I see is someone who will go to any means to get what he wants and doesn't mind bringing his country down in the process

And the mob in 2010 weren't ? Violent terrorists controlled by a criminal from overseas.

I loathed the republican terrorists in NI. But, I have to admit that conciliation and working together had to be the way forward. (Won't go into the effects of Bush declaring a "war on terrorism" and its motivational effects in that direction).

I also have to admit that Paisley and McGuiness, once they put their minds to it, worked hard and effectively together. I've read some recent speeches by McGuiness and have to respect his honesty and candid retrospects. He knew things had to change, and he knew it takes guts, balls and hard work to achieve that. As did Paisley which is why they could work together.

However, Suthep is far from a terrorist. The Shin - more like the average NY crime family than a terrorist because they are driven by self interest and enrichment, not by some vision, ideology or religion. Purely common criminals. Can you imagine these two sides working effectively together ? For the good of the county?

So you think the Shinawatras are "common criminals".

I'd suggest that, contra to what you write, you have learnt nothing from the peace process in Northern Ireland.

• Like 1