UK visit for the first time in 7 years - what to do?

simon43

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You wont get anywhere unless you are registered with a GP, for which you need ID and a utility bill for your address.

ER etc will only give you "Emergency" help, the first question you will get is "who's your GP" ?

If you havnt been back for awhile, you are in for a shock, I go every year and still get shocked at the rapid changes but mostly by the dam_n cost of anything !

£108 for a bus ticket !

2 sandwiches and 2 bottles of water £10

Fish & chips £6.50

1 Bottle of water 500ml £1.20 ( 45 baht for 12 bottles in Thailand)

Drink the tap water its free !!

No its not - most places its metred, other places pay a flat rate fee. Not free at all - in fact, a few years back Thames sued a guy for collecting rain water in big vats and filtering it for his own use - they said it was their water!

• Like 1

Can't you remember your NI number? I find stuff like that impossible to forget. Have a look at this page here for getting it mailed to a UK address; people forget it all the time. Btw, there are certain bank accounts that can be opened as a foreign national, like HSBC's 'Passport' or summat... might be worth looking into.

Gotta go back just now, but been a year longer than you Simon. Passport, driving license (still got the old pink paper) etc will get renewed.

With the incessant price rises here, I can't believe it'll be horrendously different there, esp' for stuff like wines, breads and cheeses. Proper Guinness in a real pub ain't much more than that Malay crap they serve in dives here and the supermarkets just have so much choice... Tesco being an entirely different animal as you know. Looking forward to it, but not getting too comfy.

Bring back some pork scratchings, Walker's cheese & onion crisps, Jaffa Cakes, jammy dodgers and a kilo slab of Cadbury's Chocolate.licklips.gif

Yes, we all like to knock it, but at the end of the day if sh1t happens, there are not many countries in the world I would like to have to fall back on. For one, your passport gets you everywhere. Be proud to be British no matter how crud you think it is. thumbsup.gif

He needs his NHS Number - NI number is different (NI for tax purposes - NHS for medical) - but should be able to get it from the doctor surgery he is still registered with.

Mmmm Jaffa Cakes....

Your right. The cost of things is an absolute joke. Trains on the day London to Derby £208!

Water is usually £1.20 for a bottle anywhere convenient. Yes we are flooded by benefit scrounging foreigners from as far afield as Iraq and Afghanistan. They couldn't find anywhere closer to seek asylum? Really? It's the welfare state that draws them like flies to ____.

I wish I was in your position. The only good thing here is the education. I'm 31 and I don't have kids. Came back to the UK in 2010 for work. The weather is killing me! Quality of life is not great back here. sad.png

Yes we are flooded by benefit scrounging foreigners from as far afield as Iraq and Afghanistan. They couldn't find anywhere closer to seek asylum? Really? It's the welfare state that draws them like flies to ____.

Linky thingy, blimey can't be a/rsed to find that one.

Assylum is a whole world of difference to benefit cheats, but then the brits don't do that, do they?

• Like 1

Your right. The cost of things is an absolute joke. Trains on the day London to Derby £208!

Water is usually £1.20 for a bottle anywhere convenient. Yes we are flooded by benefit scrounging foreigners from as far afield as Iraq and Afghanistan. They couldn't find anywhere closer to seek asylum? Really? It's the welfare state that draws them like flies to ____.

I wish I was in your position. The only good thing here is the education. I'm 31 and I don't have kids. Came back to the UK in 2010 for work. The weather is killing me! Quality of life is not great back here. sad.png

You could always catch the bus for 12 quid.

The rest, the somalis and iraqis can keep!!! It ain't my country anymore nor is it what my grandparents lived in.

I wonder is this is similar to what ex pat Thai's say when they return to Thailand?

Yes, maybe but foreigners living here do not take advantage of the social security system. They work, or are financially independent.

The rest, the somalis and iraqis can keep!!! It ain't my country anymore nor is it what my grandparents lived in.

Great Scott, it only took one post for someone to dredge up the immigration chestnut !!

I'm curious; was it the country your grandparents lived in when you left?

Was it all cobblestoned streets, chimney sweeps and young lads with pudding-bowl haircuts delivering Hovis on rickety old bikes?

Would you still say "it ain't my country anymore" if your self-insurance fund or medical insurance - if, unlike many of us Brits, you actually have insurance - couldn't cover the cost of a triple bypass or a hip replacement and you had to present yourself at the nearest NHS Trust to Heathrow??

Wouldn't it be nice if more Brits here showed a little more bloody gratitude for the advantages that being born and raised in Great Britain automatically gave them - the free, high quality education (university too, back in the day), the NHS and the rule of law - rather than continually bitching about some immigrants who still only represent a small percentage of the nation's population?

You are so right HardenedSoul. I'm not from the UK, but I certainaly consider myself lucky to be born in a western country, and enjoy so many privileges that 90% of the world (including Thailand) can only dream of.

And yes, many people immigrate to the west for those privileges, and if it's not regulated it can cause many problems, but the fact is that most people who retire in Thailand can only do so because they were born in a country where they could get a reasonable pension and high enough salaries so they save money throughout their life.

Great Scott, it only took one post for someone to dredge up the immigration chestnut !!

I'm curious; was it the country your grandparents lived in when you left?

Was it all cobblestoned streets, chimney sweeps and young lads with pudding-bowl haircuts delivering Hovis on rickety old bikes?

Would you still say "it ain't my country anymore" if your self-insurance fund or medical insurance - if, unlike many of us Brits, you actually have insurance - couldn't cover the cost of a triple bypass or a hip replacement and you had to present yourself at the nearest NHS Trust to Heathrow??

Wouldn't it be nice if more Brits here showed a little more bloody gratitude for the advantages that being born and raised in Great Britain automatically gave them - the free, high quality education (university too, back in the day), the NHS and the rule of law - rather than continually bitching about some immigrants who still only represent a small percentage of the nation's population?

hardened soul, not sure if you are English or not, but, complaining is not just our favourite pastime, its our bloody right

£108 for a bus !!

Sounds cheap to me - I'd imagine they were more than £100k !! smile.png

I'm still registered with my local surgery - I just never had an NHS medical card.

Are you sure ? Because they update annually and anyone who doesnt reply or hasnt visited the surgery in the previous 12 months is removed from the register now.
dont think so,I went back last may,after 6 years away,I also had not seen a doctor for 15 years ,when I called the doctor out to my house ,they still came and had all my records.

I use to slag the uk into the ground when I lived Thailand,then I met another expat and he said to me you should never slag your home country like that cause when the shit hit the fan in Thailand you will soon be running back there.

I enjoyed my 6 months back there life was easy ,and just ploddede along with no problems ,I did walk straight back in to a well paid job though ,so didn't really find things that expensive,apart from travel as others have mentioned.

Must admit though summertime was great light evenings till 10 pm could sit and eat outside,then winter came all doors and windows shut ,cold and windy,I soon decided to get myself back to Thailand until winter passes.

To sum up great place to go and work and earn big money but can't seem to settle there after being in Thailand so l

Edited by taninthai

Britions who live overseas for more than three months of the year currently lose their right to free health care at home, unless they have a medical emergency during a visit.

I was admitted to I.C.U. in Australia where there was a reciprocal agreement with the UK on medicare, however the UK NHS refused to cover the medical expenses because they said I had not been in the UK long enough in the previous year. So you are not entitled except for medical emergencies.

However, the government recently carried out a huge consultation into the NHS, suggesting that access to free treatment should be given to those who have made a fair contribution.

A fair contribution would constitute at least seven years of National Insurance contributions, under the proposals. It should become law later this year.

With regard to your N.I. number, do not worry big brother is watching you and can find it in a flash.

Edited by Estrada

are your family members in the same area as your old GP, if so just change address, if you have no recurring illness then your doctor will just think you haven't needed his services for a while, a bit more difficult if you are on repeat prescription for some thing, you will need to change address for uk driving licence a new photo card will be required, do it at larger post office, they take photo etc, also renew passport a lot cheaper over there, again at the post office

if you will be travelling in London an oyster card is the best option, link here - https://oyster.tfl.gov.uk/oyster/entry.do

also if in London make sure you get some pie and mash.

things to bring back tinned corned beef, mature cheddar cheese, daddies sauce, colemans mustard, dundee cake, bisto, packet sauce mixes like shepherds pie, sausage casserole etc.

have a good trip back

You wont get anywhere unless you are registered with a GP, for which you need ID and a utility bill for your address.

ER etc will only give you "Emergency" help, the first question you will get is "who's your GP" ?

If you havnt been back for awhile, you are in for a shock, I go every year and still get shocked at the rapid changes but mostly by the dam_n cost of anything !

£108 for a bus ticket !

Fish & chips £6.50

Fish & Chips £6.50???????

Madness!!!!!

£108 for a bus !!

Sounds cheap to me - I'd imagine they were more than £100k !! smile.png

I'm still registered with my local surgery - I just never had an NHS medical card.

Are you sure ? Because they update annually and anyone who doesnt reply or hasnt visited the surgery in the previous 12 months is removed from the register now.

As far as I am aware you are not removed from the register. I know I am still registered and I have not been in my local GP surgery for over 8 years now, they also know that I live in Thailand, but I guess that may be the beauty of coming from a small village.

For the OP, I think it will be a bit of a culture shock after being away for such a long time, I had 5 years away, and when I went back I was pretty shocked at how things had changed. It's pretty expensive, and more so now with the Baht dropping in value.

It's worth getting things like driving licence and stuff renewed if that's required, and of course if you don't have an account, I guess that's worth opening. I hadn't closed mine, so it wasn't an issue.

As for other things, the first thing I ate was a Hot Cornish Pasty. Then there are the others like a good ploughmans lunch, a donner kebab, indian food, fish and chips and a cornish cream tea.

Amongst other things, always bring back a few treats in terms of food, marmite, picallili, pickling sachets for onions, sweets and chocolate. I pretty do most of my cloth shopping in the UK as well, as the quality and sizes seem to be better. I'm looking forward to my next trip in May

Razor Blades and shaving cream are the first thing in my shopping basket....way cheaper than LOS, then I'll add some Fray Bentos Pies and some corned beef for around 25% of the Thai price

I picked up a new shaving brush on my recent trip & find most of the foam gel here does a nice job with the brush.

Licorice is what I miss & I wish they'd bring back spangles.

I went back in 2008 with a fantastic job offer, circa October 2008. You know what happened then. I went back after having never lived there.

It was a shock to me. A Pakistani lady at the job centre (where you have to interview for the NI number) told me that I was not entitled to one. I told her off, spoke to the manager and all was approved after a few weeks.

Then after a visit to a doctor, showed my passport and was issued the NHS number.

You are in for a shock. From my first visit back in 98 for family issues, then 2000 and 2003, going back in

2008 was a shocker for me. I came back after 6 months, of which 3 months was homelessness (credit crunch killed the job prospects as well as ageism).

Bring back some murray mints, some allsorts and a huge jar of marmite.

What a <deleted> sad thing for someone to say who lives abroad in a country that is NOT HIS OWN.

• Like 1

Reading this thread made me homesick for watching football on a wet Tuesday night with a meat pie at half-time. If I went back, I'd stock up on deodorant, electric toothbrush heads, razor blades, Asda Smartprice chocolate (yes really) and maybe a new passport.

It's probably a good idea to go back every now and then if finances allow. Never good to burn your bridges but visiting family and friends would be nice; besides, you never know when you might need them (or they you).

£108 for a bus ticket !

Fish & chips £6.50

You need to start shopping in tesco mate 1 sand which,drink and packet of crisps £3 or less than 150 bht

Called tesco meal deal.

For the many brits who calculated they could live on the interest if they sold their house in the UK when the exchange rate was riding high are in for a big shock if they wish to return. The cultural shift has been dramatic and the employment market is fierce and anyone over 50 beware !

And they won't find the benefits system holding out a welcoming hand as I experienced last year - luckily I found seasonal work.

Its £145 for a TV licence nevermind the council tax and everything else. But oh ! for the green green grass of home !

I contacted my old doctor's surgery by email and they are sending a new NHS card to ex #1's address. So I will be able to pick this up if she doesn't burn it...

I still have my old pink driving licence which is valid until about 2020 I think - just about right for my next visit (although hopefully not for a funeral).

Opening a bank account is all but impossible because I have no proof of UK address, because .. er .. I have no UK address....

As for other things, the first thing I ate was a Hot Cornish Pasty. Then there are the others like a good ploughmans lunch, a donner kebab, indian food, fish and chips and a cornish cream tea

Stop, stop!! I am homesick for all those foods already!!!!

Picking up useful food items makes even more sense because on my return I go straight back to Myanmar for 6 months, (where Marmite is but a wet dream...)

Edited by simon43