Is WP required for UOB Savings account?

Is a work permit required to open a UOB savings account or will they accept a non-imm O visa? Their web site does say WP or student visa only but web site info is not always accurate. I can't just pop in - there is no branch in this area and don't trust phone info, and may be forced to open an account there in the future.

Thank you.

The ignorant bank workers think that a WP is the only way to open an account. I've had to educate several workers at several different banks that what

their bank requires is a non-immigrant visa, which happens to be obtained by the foreigner by EITHER by Work, or Marrriage to Thai national, or Retirement.

Simply clarify that to them, slowly, and remind them that you are aware that they do not understand their bank's requirement, and ask them to get the bank manager.

Usually, they come back by themselves and open the account.

• Like 1

No, no work permit is required.

I opened an account at UOB sukhumvit soi 26 branch about two months ago with two ID(one is passport with tourist visa and one is driver liscense from my own country). Good luck to you.

The ignorant bank workers think that a WP is the only way to open an account. I've had to educate several workers at several different banks that what

their bank requires is a non-immigrant visa, which happens to be obtained by the foreigner by EITHER by Work, or Marrriage to Thai national, or Retirement.

Simply clarify that to them, slowly, and remind them that you are aware that they do not understand their bank's requirement, and ask them to get the bank manager.

So have you actually opened an account at UOB or are you just relying on your own ignorance ?

FWIW I have an account with UOB and as mentioned by another poster the first thing they asked for is a work permit.

So have you actually opened an account at UOB or are you just relying on your own ignorance ?

FWIW I have an account with UOB and as mentioned by another poster the first thing they asked for is a work permit.

Can you read my post carefully? And if the bank told you to bring a dozen eggs in order to open an account, you would do that?

Can you read my post carefully? And if the bank told you to bring a dozen eggs in order to open an account, you would do that?

If it is written into their terms and conditions on opening an account yes I would.

I found an email address for UOB and surpise, they actually responded. 2X surprise: unambiguously!

Sent: Tuesday, January 14, 2014 9:32 AM
To: Peter
Subject: RE: Email Us : Request : [11-01-2014 10:50:39]_SN130114_10
Please be informed that we required only the following documents.
1. A certified copy of passport
2. The evidence of your residence address e.g., utilities bills, credit card invoice.
Yours sincerely
Webmaster.
-----Original Message-----
Sent: Monday, January 13, 2014 3:27 PM
To: TH-Webmaster
Thank you for the response, however you do not state if a work permit, or long term visa, for
example, non-imm 0, is required. Can you clarify?
Thanks again,
Sent: Monday, January 13, 2014 2:15 PM
To: xx
Dear Sir/Madam
Thank you for your interest in opening an account with us.
The bank require customers to be physically present at our branch for any account opening as
verification and sighting of documents are needed.
Documents required:
1. A certified copy of passport
2. The evidence of your residence address e.g., utilities bills, credit card invoice
The minimum initial deposit is THB 50,000 for foreign depositors.
Thank you for choosing UOB, we are pleased to be of service to you.
Yours sincerely
Webmaster.

• 2 months later...