Shots fired at Norwegian restaurant in Pattaya

webfact

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I said a few days ago in thread "Farang doormats":

It isn't a good idea in this country to blindly insist on having it your way. It doesn't matter if you are right ot wrong, just drop it and whatever you do don't make them lose face, or the consequences could be serious and nobody will give a s**t about you.

What has happened here isn't uncommon, and if the bloke involved doesn't step down it wil escalate.

So what's the conclusion? He's had live rounds fired at him, but hey, he isn't a doormat, he has values and those Thais had better listen.

• Like 1

I assume the restaurant owner does not own the road outside his business so has no right to reserve it for himself or his customers.

Having said that it is about time City Hall were to licence Taxi Motorbikes and operators.

Enforcing:

• Checking of driving licences
  • Mandatory insurance
  • Limiting the places of operation (ie just inside every soi)
  • Marked Taxi Ranks
May be even outlaw trading (street vendors, bike and car rental, taxis plying for business, advertising, etc) from roadside parking areas, maybe even limit waiting/parking to 2 hours, no return for 4 hours.

Don't assume....

he entered into a verbal altercation with a Motorbike Taxi driver wearing a Green Jacket, who was angry that his car was blocking a short-cut to the Bali Hai Port which is in-fact a private road.

That restaurant/guesthouse has been there for quite some time. I'm sure the 28 year old is not the original owner.

Why would a 28 year old thai owning a restaurant seem suspicious ?

I agree. The original comment was bloody stupid

What difference does it make how old is the owner, and what flag is hanging outside, Norwegian or Mongolian?

This is a useful news bit, especially to recent expats, and people not familiar with Thai parking traditions.

Sent from my C6802 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

It is either a very brave or very foolish man that gets into a heated argument with taxi guys in Thailand.

No amount of bravery matters if attacked by 4 or more taxiboys, armed with steel pipes. So that leaves only 'foolish'.

Motto of the story is 'Don't sit out the front of open-fronted bars (or songthaews)'.

With the "Amazing"ly fastforwardpositivetrend in the land of Smiles in mind, it wouldn't take much longer to get beaten to death, chopped into pieces, just for looking at an amazingly smiling face. One would only wish to getting shot, instead, it's faster and thus, more painless.

I have lived and worked in... what - over 20 countries around the world. That includes 10 years China, 4 years Phils, 2 years Indonesia, in Africa, Russia ... Now? I only wish i'd never placed my foot at the edge of the heated doline.

Just out of curiosity - who ever came up with this misleading, deceptive name "land of smiles"?

How come a 28-year-old Thai man owns a Norwegian restaurant? How did that come about? Luckily no-one was killed or hurt.

It reminds of the poor Australian woman who was shot and killed in Kanchanaburi a few years ago when motorcyclists just shot into the bar. That was never solved and no-one was ever charged.

And also the Canadian doctor who was shot and very seriously injured on a songthaew in Chiang Mai in another "random" shooting. That case was never solved.

And the three farangs in Chiang Mai who were shot in a bar in Chiang Mai about a year ago when a Chiang Mai university student angrily shot into the bar he had been thrown out of because he was drunk. He avoided any prison time at all because his family are rich and connected.

Motto of the story is 'Don't sit out the front of open-fronted bars (or songthaews)'.

When there is no complainant in the case of died victims, there is no case

Check out the body language of the cop in the first photo - he couldn't give a sh1t....

I admire you, really, least someone who sees the REAL picture!

but then again, the pool dude is all alone and lives on water only? How can you expect enthusiasm and energy? sad.png

I assume the restaurant owner does not own the road outside his business so has no right to reserve it for himself or his customers.

Having said that it is about time City Hall were to licence Taxi Motorbikes and operators.

Enforcing:

• Checking of driving licences
  • Mandatory insurance
  • Limiting the places of operation (ie just inside every soi)
  • Marked Taxi Ranks

May be even outlaw trading (street vendors, bike and car rental, taxis plying for business, advertising, etc) from roadside parking areas, maybe even limit waiting/parking to 2 hours, no return for 4 hours.

Bravo!

With your ambition you'll make it as the next mayonnaise - sorry - mayor

clap2.gif

Any other good ideas to get rid of vast growing and ill-rotten behavior patterns?

The biggest problem with Pattaya is the the majority of ex-pats don't try integrate with Thais. They live in their assigned ghetto areas, Russians in Jomtien, Europeans in Soi Bukaw etc. The last time I was there I met several English idiots who'd been living in Pattaya for years, not one could speak a word of Thai. They sit and moan about the visa system, food, Thais etc etc. They're only there for cheap sex, beer and sunny weather. They'd be more at home in Blackpool if it had all those options available.

The biggest problem with Pattaya is the the majority of ex-pats don't try integrate with Thais. They live in their assigned ghetto areas, Russians in Jomtien, Europeans in Soi Bukaw etc. The last time I was there I met several English idiots who'd been living in Pattaya for years, not one could speak a word of Thai. They sit and moan about the visa system, food, Thais etc etc. They're only there for cheap sex, beer and sunny weather. They'd be more at home in Blackpool if it had all those options available.

Why is that a problem? Honestly, there is no need to speak Thai in Pattaya. It's an option. Speaking Thai is a choice like bothering to learn how to surf.

I guess perhaps it's more of a feature. So that people who can speak Thai can feel superior over those who don't care to bother. That's always fun!

Living in the sticks, that's different.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

As I said a few days ago in thread "Farang doormats":

It isn't a good idea in this country to blindly insist on having it your way. It doesn't matter if you are right ot wrong, just drop it and whatever you do don't make them lose face, or the consequences could be serious and nobody will give a s**t about you.

What has happened here isn't uncommon, and if the bloke involved doesn't step down it wil escalate.

So what's the conclusion? He's had live rounds fired at him, but hey, he isn't a doormat, he has values and those Thais had better listen.

People who are here for short holyday are not aware, that the moment your passport is stamped for entry, you leave your manliness behind, when you cross the border to Thailand, you can not stand up for yourself, well, you can, but you will be assaulted, only question is how badly. And you may lose your life. You become a man again, after exit stamp. It takes little bit getting used to, i never really do, just try to not lose control here, ever! Not easy at all sometimes.

So we have a choice, be a man, and not a door mat, what carries a very heavy price, or be a doormat, walk away immediately from the slightest confrontation, walk away even if you get an angry stare, it feels terrible, but you stay healthy. I rather be healthy and humiliated, than proud man who stands up for himself, but in a hospital or worse. Remember the guy from Malta few weeks ago?

There is a thread in Pattaya forum, some posters argue that we, foreigners should not surrender, if intimidated by locals, usually taxiboys or business owners forbidding parking on the street that they feel they own. This news bit right here goes to show one possible outcome, for standing up.

Somebody could have easily lost their life in this incident.

Edited by valgehiir
  • Like 1

You can't knock the Thais for playing by their own rules, we're seen as outsiders here, a necessary evil in the main. I went back to the UK recently and I can't believe how out of control immigration has become. It's a shame our government didn't adopt some hard line policies regarding visas. Or that the indigenous population weren't less apathetic about letting it happen. Thailand belongs to the Thai people and they want to keep it that way. Yes you're going to have to play by their rules, or you'll come off worse. Well done to them for protecting what's rightfully theirs I say.

You can't knock the Thais for playing by their own rules, we're seen as outsiders here, a necessary evil in the main. I went back to the UK recently and I can't believe how out of control immigration has become. It's a shame our government didn't adopt some hard line policies regarding visas. Or that the indigenous population weren't less apathetic about letting it happen. Thailand belongs to the Thai people and they want to keep it that way. Yes you're going to have to play by their rules, or you'll come off worse. Well done to them for protecting what's rightfully theirs I say.

Really? You say Thailand belongs to Thai people, but no one is arguing about that.

You say well done, they are protecting what is rightfully theirs. What do you mean, please? What is it that Thais are protecting? Is there anything we, the foreigners are trying to take away from them?

Thailand belongs to Thai people, you say.

That reminds of a political party in Germany, In the 2004 state election in Saxony, Germany, the National Democratic Party of Germany won 9.2% of the overall vote. Their main slogan is 'Germany is Germans!' They also do not like foreigners. In Germnany, NDP is considered extreme right wing. Thai xenophobia is widely accepted in Thailand, there is not even debate about Thais being superior to everyone else.

You say Thailand belongs to Thai people, both statements sound very similar, do you agree?

Why would a 28 year old thai owning a restaurant seem suspicious ?

I agree. The original comment was bloody stupid

What difference does it make how old is the owner, and what flag is hanging outside, Norwegian or Mongolian?

This is a useful news bit, especially to recent expats, and people not familiar with Thai parking traditions.

Sent from my C6802 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Nothing to do with parking traditions. The owner was parked in front of his own restaurant, on a private road. Some people might choose to use that road as a short cut. On this day and perhaps others, the owner's car was blocking the path. It is not a parking spot for motorcycle taxis. They just want to use someone's private way as a short cut and they din't like being told no.

Yes I forgot, people go and live in Pattaya because of its fantastic beaches and authentic traditional Thai ambiance.The worst scum are those who visited there once and then decided it was the place for them to reside. Sitting in small bars moaning about the price of Leo and how they can't understand why their 20 year old go go dancing hooker has cheated on them, again. This kind of shooting will continue to happen in Pattaya while it's still full hookers and western retards. I booked to go for a week and lasted 3 days there. I couldn't honestly say I met one half intelligent person, during the whole trip. Just ask any self respecting Thai what they think of the foreigners who go there. "Née sai mai Dee", will most likely be the answer.

Yes I forgot, people go and live in Pattaya because of its fantastic beaches and authentic traditional Thai ambiance.The worst scum are those who visited there once and then decided it was the place for them to reside. Sitting in small bars moaning about the price of Leo and how they can't understand why their 20 year old go go dancing hooker has cheated on them, again. This kind of shooting will continue to happen in Pattaya while it's still full hookers and western retards. I booked to go for a week and lasted 3 days there. I couldn't honestly say I met one half intelligent person, during the whole trip. Just ask any self respecting Thai what they think of the foreigners who go there. "Née sai mai Dee", will most likely be the answer.

All very interesting, but let us remember that no foreigner is involved in this incident.

So why are you and so many others banging on about foreigners??

• Like 1

How come a 28-year-old Thai man owns a Norwegian restaurant? How did that come about? Luckily no-one was killed or hurt.

Christiania used to be a Norwegian place but it was sold years ago so I think it is thai owned and Norwegians are no longer involved in the business, I think they only serve Thai food and drinks.

I agree with the resaurant owner on this one. These moto taxis are getting bad these days parking everywhere and blocking spots at 7-11's and everywhere really. To many licenses have been handed out I think.

"This kind of shooting will continue to happen in Pattaya while it's still full hookers and western retards. I booked to go for a week and lasted 3 days there. I couldn't honestly say I met one half intelligent person, during the whole trip. Just ask any self respecting Thai what they think of the foreigners who go there. "Née sai mai Dee", will most likely be the answer."

I just love the generalizations by those who were only here three days. I think there is some element of sour grapes that they haven't got the internal sense of self to navigate thru certain places that are not like Salt Lake City. I have lived here in Jomtien for maybe 8 years? Started coming to Thailand in 82, never came to Pattaya before 2002. I rarely drink, don't waste time in bars, don't take whores home, etc. I have IQ in top 3% btw. "the whole trip"? 3 days? Where were you looking for intelligent people? My take on anyplace is "just because there is dog crap in the road doesn't mean you have to step in it".

Thailand belongs to the Fujian and Guangdong diaspora and you had better not forget it.

Edited by Briggsy

• 3 weeks later...

Christiania used to be a Norwegian place but it was sold years ago so I think it is thai owned and Norwegians are no longer involved in the business, I think they only serve Thai food and drinks.

Not correct, still Norwegian. 28 year is son of the owner who is married to a Norwegian. I sit there every day when I am in Thailand and I was also there during the shooting.

My girlfriend and the owner felt the bullet over their head when it hit the door in front of them. And its a private road in front of restaurant.

Here is from Norway "newspaper" from Pattaya, I tried google, but not perfect....

http://www.thailandstidende.com/component/k2/item/2358-skudd-mot-restaurant

What say in English from Google:

An argument with a moped taxi driver is the only explanation Bjorn Reidar Johansen on the shooting incident that occurred at Christiania Guest House 10 January.
It was good with visitors the evening of 10 January when a mopedfører drove past Christiania Guest House and fired three shots with a 9 mm pistol before he ran off . No one was injured , but it was close.
Bjorn Reidar Johansen ( 55), owner of the restaurant and lodging , said :
- I thought it was about teenagers playing with china putter, but when his wife Wan told me that she had known grazed by a bullet near his cheek we were immediately aware of the urgency .
One of the shots struck the Norwegian flag outside the restaurant on Pattaya Third Road . A second shot shattered a window .
Police in writing not found out who fired the shots . Johansen has submitted a video to the police , but have not heard anything from them yet . He has a strong sense of what is behind the shooting , even though there currently is no evidence:
- My wife's son , Banlue ( 28), had an altercation with a moped taxi a few hours before . My stepson was about to park a car in front of the restaurant and moped taxi driver was impatient when he came by. This is a private road, but moped taxis use it constantly to avoid traffic lights between Third Road and Thappraya Road , says Johansen.
- My wife said that the man could either wait ten seconds or take the public road . It made the man more angry