Phuket radio presenter, DJ Doris, dies in road accident

Lite Beer

Didn't know Paul, but always sad to hear of deaths such as this.

Most of we OLDE Radio types tend to expire from natural causes....and there have been a few such colleagues do that in the past year.

RIP Paul and deepest sympathy to family and friends.

Shocking News!

Have known Paul as a personal friend over 7 years now, had many a beer and good night out (work permitting) with him, can honestly say he was a true Gent, never heard him speak bad of anyone, a truly Good guy and will be sadly missed by lots of people

No offence taken with MK1s post, is fair comment but agree with Andreandre on this one; Yeah he rode a bike, I ride a bike, I like bikes, I even like riding bikes Big and small in Thailand (can assure you has nothing to do with who can afford a car) I drive a Mercedes Benz in the UK, have Big Bikes there too but, enjoy my little scooter and the freedom and fun it gives me here in Phuket, not everyone wants the hassle of a car (each to there own) Point is accidents can happen whether in a car, on a bike or crossing the road, just bad bloody luck! OMO

anyway more importantly -

R I P mate...

• Like 2

Thank you all, for your very kind and sincere comments.

For the record Paul also owned a car.

This has been the worst day in my 13 years living in Thailand and Paul will be dearly missed by many, family, friends and of course us all at 91.5 FM.

He is to be repatriated to his home in Scotland.

Further plans will be announced in due course.

Thank you all.

I'm sure like myself many people would like to pay there respects to the memory of Paul, could you please keep us informed if there will be service for Paul, i know so many people would like to show there affection and respect, regards

• Like 2

I am never again getting on a "motorbike" in Thailand.

i suspect in 99% of cases with motorcycle accidents, its the rider to blame for not being careful enough.

in the article it say the lights were flashing yellow and not clear who had right of way. <deleted>, everyone has right of way over a bike if you want to live. the only real danger on a bike, if you know how to dive, is something coming up fast on you from behind. that's why you should check your mirrors every couple of seconds and get out of the way if necessary,

Running red: police probe deadly DJ Doris crash

By Saran Mitrarat

PHUKET: One of the drivers involved in the accident that killed Paul Norris, Phuket’s renowned ‘DJ Doris’, early yesterday morning ran a red light, Phuket Police confirmed to the Phuket Gazette.

“We believe that one of them drove through a red light as the lights were working at the time of the accident,” said Wichit Police Investigator Ekarat Chartthai. “However, we have to wait for forensic officers to investigate the accident further.”

The green plate taxi that collided with Mr Norris’ motorbike was travelling from Phuket International Airport toward Rawai. Mr Norris was riding from Rawai and turned right by the Choor Su Gong Naka Shrine near Phuket Town when the accident occurred, Lt Ekarat explained.

At the scene, police found the body of Mr Norris about five meters from the motorbike. Injuries sustained in the impact indicate that he was struck from the left.

“We have charged the taxi driver, Jongsak Bussarakam, with reckless driving causing death. However, we are continuing our investigation into the cause of the accident,” Lt Ekarat said.

"Unfortunately, the Traffic Police CCTV camera at that junction was not operational at the time of the accident," he added.

An outpouring of emotion continues to wash the island on social media sites since the announcement of Mr Norris’ tragic death.

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2014/Running-red-police-probe-deadly-DJ-Doris-crash-23265.html

Edited by MK1

Never known a taxi to slow down at a yellow light, or a red light, for that matter.

Indeed, and the other big Red-light offenders are also bus drivers.

How convenient the CCTV at that Junction was not working at the time. Hopefully, other CCTV footage from other intersections or locations are available including possible witnesses come forward to assist with explaining the circumstances that led to this tragic event.

By Saran Mitrarat

PHUKET: One of the drivers involved in the accident that killed Paul Norris, Phuket’s renowned ‘DJ Doris’, early yesterday morning ran a red light, Phuket Police confirmed to the Phuket Gazette.

“We believe that one of them drove through a red light as the lights were working at the time of the accident,” said Wichit Police Investigator Ekarat Chartthai. “However, we have to wait for forensic officers to investigate the accident further.”

The green plate taxi that collided with Mr Norris’ motorbike was travelling from Phuket International Airport toward Rawai. Mr Norris was riding from Rawai and turned right by the Choor Su Gong Naka Shrine near Phuket Town when the accident occurred, Lt Ekarat explained.

At the scene, police found the body of Mr Norris about five meters from the motorbike. Injuries sustained in the impact indicate that he was struck from the left.

“We have charged the taxi driver, Jongsak Bussarakam, with reckless driving causing death. However, we are continuing our investigation into the cause of the accident,” Lt Ekarat said.

"Unfortunately, the Traffic Police CCTV camera at that junction was not operational at the time of the accident," he added.

An outpouring of emotion continues to wash the island on social media sites since the announcement of Mr Norris’ tragic death.

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2014/Running-red-police-probe-deadly-DJ-Doris-crash-23265.html

Bit of a confliction of evidence, the lights were previously reported as flashing amber. Now reported as operating and the taxi ran the red?

By Saran Mitrarat

Bit of a confliction of evidence, the lights were previously reported as flashing amber. Now reported as operating and the taxi ran the red?

Correction, as per PG story ‘one of the drivers ran the red’. In most cases the driver of the car is usually charged first, unless there is other evidence to the contrary, because the car driver should’ve had sufficient vision to see the motorbike. As is always the media are only drip fed limited information by Police and are prevented from carrying out their own indepedent investigation particularly after someone has been charged.

Phuket’s DJ Doris to be honored with Celebration of Life
Phuket Gazette -

PHUKET: Paul Norris, Phuket’s renowned ‘DJ Doris’ from Phuket Island Radio 91.5FM, will be honored with a Celebration of Life.

The news follows the death of Mr Norris in a motorcycle accident early Sunday morning, a tragedy which prompted an outpouring of grief among friends, family and fans (story here).

“Paul Norris is being repatriated to his home in Scotland. As soon as we know the funeral arrangements, we will inform you,” said Byron Jones of Phuket Island Radio in a statement issued today.

“91.5 FM is planning a special ‘DJ Doris day’ to coincide with his funeral,” he said.

“Following Paul’s funeral, we plan to hold a ‘Celebration of Paul’s Life’ on a day and at a Phuket venue to be confirmed later,” Mr Jones said.

Anyone wishing to record a message for that day is invited to email [email protected] to arrange a recording time.

“We thank you all from Paul’s family and from ourselves for your kind messages and respect,” Mr Jones said.

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2014/Phuket-s-DJ-Doris-to-be-honored-with-Celebration-of-Life-23279.html

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2014-01-14

seems like a lot of miss information of this. i wonder if we will ever really know what happened

I thought I read there passengers in the taxi so surely they would have been interviewed. Nothing will bring poor Doris back but knowledge gained might prevent a similar tragedy in future although as we all know there is far too much lip service & not enough concrete action on accident prevention.

according to this 'Mr Norris was riding from Rawai and turned right by the Choor Su Gong Naka Shrine near Phuket Town when the accident occurred, Lt Ekarat explained.
At the scene, police found the body of Mr Norris about five meters from the motorbike. Injuries sustained in the impact indicate that he was struck from the left.'

it sounds like he turned across the road into the path of oncoming traffic. maybe he had a green light, maybe flashing yellow, either way, its a really bad idea to drive into the path of oncoming traffic, if that is what happened.

• Like 2