Protesters mobilise ahead of planned Thai capital 'shutdown'

Lite Beer

Protesters mobilise ahead of planned Thai capital 'shutdown'

BANGKOK, January 12, 2014 (AFP) - Thai anti-government protesters began mobilising in Bangkok Sunday, a day ahead of their planned "shutdown" of the capital as they step up efforts to topple the government and halt upcoming elections.

The politically-turbulent country has been shaken by weeks of opposition rallies against Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra and her divisive former premier brother Thaksin, which have caused the government to call snap February 2 polls.

Demonstrators, who have vowed to disrupt the vote, began packing possessions and equipment at their main Bangkok rally site as they prepared to fan out to seven locations across the city on Monday in an attempt to choke off transport into the capital.

"We hope everything will change in a good way tomorrow. The change we want to see is for this government to stop being corrupt or they should resign," said Komol, a protester at the site who gave only one name.

The protesters want an appointed "people's council" to run the country and oversee vaguely defined electoral reforms before new elections are held in around a year to 18 months.

It is the latest chapter in a saga of political instability and occasional unrest that has gripped Thailand since Thaksin was ousted from power by royalist generals seven years ago.

The billionaire tycoon-turned-politician, who lives abroad to avoid a jail term for corruption, has large electoral support particularly in his northern Thai heartlands where he is adored for a swathe of popular policies implemented by his and subsequent allied governments.

But he is detested among the country's elites and by many in the Bangkok middle class and Thai south, who see him as authoritarian and accuse him of buying votes.

Protest leader Suthep Thaugsuban, a former MP for the opposition Democrat party that is boycotting the elections, has said he expects a large turnout for the latest demonstration.

"There will be huge numbers of people from every province joining the shutdown Bangkok mission on Monday 13," he told a rally late Saturday.

The demonstrators say they will block major intersections, stop officials going to work and cut off power to key state offices.

Schools will close because of fears for students' safety, while the US embassy has advised stockpiling a two weeks' supply of food, water and medicine.

The authorities say they are ready to declare a state of emergency if there is fresh unrest, and roughly 20,000 police and soldiers will be deployed for security.

Deputy national police chief Reungsak Jaritkate said there were 12 hospitals, 28 hotels, 24 schools and five fire stations within the areas affected.

Eight people, including a policeman, have been killed and dozens injured in street violence since the protests began in late October.

afplogo.jpg
-- (c) Copyright AFP 2014-01-12

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Posts containing derogatory generalizations toward Thais have been removed:

8) Not to post extremely negative views of Thailand or derogatory comments directed towards all Thais.

That is proper. We are guests here. Slam them all into silence.

• Like 1

The protester who wants the government to stop being corrupt might want to look at the man on the stage, who::

• redistributed Phuket land meant for the poor to 11 of its richest families, to gain political influence
  • artificially inflated the value of palm oil shares whilst in power, so he and his family could make a killing on the stock market
  • was such an embarrasment to other Dem MPs that many complained of his corrupt practices when they were in power in 2011

This is the man who leads you in your fight for clean politics

But, you don't understand ...

What is it that Curt does not understand? Please enlighten all of us...

For those who do not understand tomorrow's protests:

funny-democracy-pictures-images-photos.j

You could have fooled me with those red faces on the sheep. But yes.. they should have been buffaloes to be red supporters.

Your words is exactly why the majority of Thais don't vote for the Democrat party. You think everyone that doesn't vote Democrat is stupid like a buffalo.

Shame on you.

The majority also does not vote red.. sorry to burst your bubble.

But i think the comparison between buffalo's and red supporters comes close actually. Rice not paid out.. believing that its the mistake of the democrats / EC. I mean people who are stupid enough to believe that can only be as stupid as a buffalo.

Your AV gives me a good idea how the average farang red shirt looks like.

However it was not me who started insulting the Thai people.. it was you with the stupid cartoon i just countered it a bit.

You are incorredt. The majority did vote red. You are simply wrong.

• Like 2

This is no simple thing. Stop being cheerleaders for your side. Do you really want to be in pink tights and a skirt?

This is serious. This is people's lives.

The <deleted> is not going to hit the fan. It is going to hit everyone here.

sad.png

Nice cartoon jack.
If you would think a little more further, then you knew what happened with the wolf later.
They will rip him open, fill his belly with stones and then throw him into the fountain at the end.
So do not worry.
  • Like 2

Just recieved a news text which says that protestors are preparing to surround Chalerm's house which should be fun.

Wonder if he will send his thugs, sorry sons, out to disperse them /

He'll just hide in the water troughs in his coconut tree fields like he did a few coups ago.

• Like 1

Red was not an option in the election. You are simply wrong.

Nice try. A failed one, but a nice try. They got the majority and abused it, but they got the majority. Live with it. Have a nice life, and learn numbers instead of ideologies.....

• Like 1

You could have fooled me with those red faces on the sheep. But yes.. they should have been buffaloes to be red supporters.

Your words is exactly why the majority of Thais don't vote for the Democrat party. You think everyone that doesn't vote Democrat is stupid like a buffalo.

Shame on you.

The majority also does not vote red.. sorry to burst your bubble.

But i think the comparison between buffalo's and red supporters comes close actually. Rice not paid out.. believing that its the mistake of the democrats / EC. I mean people who are stupid enough to believe that can only be as stupid as a buffalo.

Your AV gives me a good idea how the average farang red shirt looks like.

However it was not me who started insulting the Thai people.. it was you with the stupid cartoon i just countered it a bit.

The reds had not one single vote.

They polled the same as my pet rabbit who doesn't exist anyway

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Am down in Pattalung and there is a huge party organised by a close friend to support the yellows. I given up trying to talk any sense - missus and a lot of her family deeply worried about making a living in BKK and where all this is leading. Visited a farm today and the grand old mum pulled out a Glock 9 mm she carries for protection after a burglary quite recently. The place is bristling with guns. I guess its now down to fingers crossed and pray this settles down sometime soon with the least loss of life. I'm ostriching on this now we can't change a thing and so its not woth worrying until there is something immediate and personal to worry about. Makes you realise how un-Thai we farangs are and always will be.

• Like 2

Red was not an option in the election. You are simply wrong.

Excellent thoughtful response.

You are correct. I was wrong. No one voted for the reds, they just appeared, like crimson angels....

• Like 1