Friendy jokes about nationality

CryWolf

Does this exist in Thailand also.

We have jokes about our neighbour countries, normally implying that on is a country of less clever individuals.

Does this exixt in thailand also?

Here's an example:

A Swede, a Norwegian and a Dane were arrested in France during the French revolution. They each got to choose which way they would die. The Norwegian chose the guillotine, because he saw it as the latest fashion. His head went under, but the blade stopped 1 inch from his neck. The French saw this as a sign from God or something and decided to let him go. The same thing happened to the Dane. Then they asked the Swede how he wanted to die. "I think I'll die by hanging, that guillotine doesn't work anyway," he said clap2.gif

• Like 1

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought it was worth a chuckle. Harmless bit of fun.

In Thailand, my friends don't make the same jokes. They usually offer up some ridicule about Burmese, sometimes a bit of snarky stuff about Cambodia, nothing about Laos and some racist tinged stuff on Indians and Arabs. They also make some of fatty jokes about "Europeans"

Also a bit of a lame example as most people in the world all think of Swedes, Danes and Norwegians as fellow countrymen (aka Nordic).

Can't blame the Nordics for other peoples ignorance.. We are indeed seperate countries, and we don't have polarbears walking the streets as many would assume :)

I quizzed some Thais about it, and I was quite surprised that nobody was able to tell a couple of jokes.

Seems their humor is composed of only of wordplays, double entendres and slapstick.

Udder nonsense.

From a cow?, I wonder.

ok, please tell a Thai joke.

I quizzed some Thais about it, and I was quite surprised that nobody was able to tell a couple of jokes.

Seems their humor is composed of only of wordplays, double entendres and slapstick.

Udder nonsense.

From a cow?, I wonder.

Better yet, I will ask a Thai to Tell a joke tomorrow, and then relay it to you.

Now it is DiHa, so there is no one around.

But what kind of joke do you want?

There are all sorts, and all are funny.

I do not really think you actually know very much about Thai humor, or Thai culture, if you are able to make a statement as you did, with a straight face.

Udder nonsense.

From a cow?, I wonder.

Better yet, I will ask a Thai to Tell a joke tomorrow, and then relay it to you.

Now it is DiHa, so there is no one around.

But what kind of joke do you want?

There are all sorts, and all are funny.

I do not really think you actually know very much about Thai humor, or Thai culture, if you are able to make a statement as you did, with a straight face.

I have asked many persons... most jokes were funny in Thai (or so they said), but translated into English meant nothing - so these were wordplays.

I never heard even one proper joke from a thai.

A lot of funny conversation, yes, funny situations or descriptions, yes. But no proper jokes.

The closest to a joke I got was a story about an elevator falling down 40 floors and crashing with 12 people inside.

Question: how many wounded?

Answer: none, because they all dead alleadddyyy !!! hahahahahahaaaaaaaaa.

fail.

For someone saying I am wrong, you have really few jokes to tell.

I'm looking forward to reading your jokes tomorrow.

EDIT

I did some research - I leave it to anyone's appreciation:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/43270-thai-jokes/page-3

http://rikker.blogspot.ch/2007/08/jokes-4.html

http://rikker.blogspot.ch/2007/09/jokes-5.html

http://rikker.blogspot.ch/search/label/jokes?max-results=20

Edited by manarak

"" have asked many persons... most jokes were funny in Thai (or so they said), but translated into English meant nothing - so these were wordplays.

A lot of funny conversation, yes, funny situations or descriptions, yes. But no proper jokes.""

I remain surprised at your thinking along these lines of Thais cannot tell proper jokes.

I thought that it was you who last time stated it was the Chinese who were inscrutable,

Not the Thais.

What will you think of next?

"" have asked many persons... most jokes were funny in Thai (or so they said), but translated into English meant nothing - so these were wordplays.

A lot of funny conversation, yes, funny situations or descriptions, yes. But no proper jokes.""

I remain surprised at your thinking along these lines of Thais cannot tell proper jokes.

I thought that it was you who last time stated it was the Chinese who were inscrutable,

Not the Thais.

I'm flattered to be at the center of your attention, but I must disappoint you, I didn't write that about the Chinese.

Let's see what you come up with tomorrow!

Edited by manarak

Not the Thais.

I'm flattered to be at the center of your attention, but I must disappoint you, I didn't write that about the Chinese.

You know, when western people tell me this Asian society, or that Asian society, are not funny, or can't tell jokes, or can't understand the humor in something,

I just do not understand how myopic and insensitive they can be.

I recall so many times some of my customers would say the same thing about Taiwanese people when they visited Taiwan factories and met the employees and factory owners.

There would often be much embarrassing silences when humor was attempted.

And the western buyers would always say that these people are very nice but they do not have a sense of humor or they can't understand or tell a joke.

They knew nothing about this subject, I know,

Because I knew that what they said was untrue.

I had spent many years - several decades living there, and I spent most of my time with Asian people, but not much time engaging westerners.

The Taiwanese humor was just as funny as any western humor.

And I used to spend many enjoyable hours laughing up a storm with my Chinese friends,

Sometimes almost rolling around on the floor, or awash with tears running down our cheeks.

If you are comfortable with people, and they you, then there is no end to the enjoyment you can have,

Appreciating their humor,

Humor which is not especially unique, usually, as you seem to mistakenly think.

I have fun with Kon Thai here right now,

Making jokes and exchanging some pretty subtle humor,

Whic gets us laughing out loud.

The humor on both sides is very genuine.

And this is why I can in no way understand what you are saying or why.

Here is an interesting bit of research which might help you to understand a bit more about Taiwanese humor,

And that it is not very different from western humor.

But I am still trying to find more, if any, valid research relating to Thai humor,

Because there are many who agree with you, that Thais don't know how to tell a proper joke,

Even though you are wrong, and so are they.

Abstract

Humor has been recognized by nurse researchers and practitioners as a constructive therapeutic intervention and has shown positive psychological and physiological outcomes for patient care. Because cross-cultural research on humor is sparse, this preliminary study investigates how nursing faculty members approach teaching therapeutic humor in the classroom and clinical education in different countries. Through an investigation of classroom (didactic) education and clinical practicum with direct patient care, the study may elucidate the linkage between theory and practice as well as how nursing faculty members view therapeutic humor in general. Researching nursing faculty teaching practices and viewpoints of therapeutic humor may help reveal cultural differences in the use of humor in healthcare settings. This cross-cultural study included 40 nursing faculty at three nursing programs: two in the United States and one in Taiwan. A qualitative approach was used to perform content analysis on responses to the open-ended questionnaires. Research findings revealed cultural differences between faculties from the two countries. Taiwanese faculty members indicated that they teach more theory and concepts related to therapeutic humor in the classroom than do nursing faculty members from the United States. However, nursing faculty members in Taiwan reported that they observe and practice less therapeutic humor in clinical settings out of respect for the cultural value of "reverence of illness" operating within Taiwanese society. Therapeutic humor was family centered and interdependent on relationships, roles, duties, and responsibilities of family members. In contrast, the U.S. faculty members stated that they teach less theory and concepts related to therapeutic humor in the classroom but observe and practice humor more in clinical settings. United States faculty approached teaching therapeutic humor in the classroom on an informal basis because the subject was not part of the required nursing curricula. In clinical settings, therapeutic humor was patient centered and spontaneous in nature.

Not the Thais.

You know, when western people tell me this Asian society, or that Asian society, are not funny, or can't tell jokes, or can't understand the humor in something,

I recall so many times some of my customers would say the same thing about Taiwanese people when they visited Taiwan factories and met the employees and factory owners.

And the western buyers would always say that these people are very nice but they do not have a sense of humor or they can't understand or tell a joke.

I had spent many years - several decades living there, and I spent most of my time with Asian people, but not much time engaging westerners.

And I used to spend many enjoyable hours laughing up a storm with my Chinese friends,

Sometimes almost rolling around on the floor, or awash with tears running down our cheeks.

If you are comfortable with people, and they you, then there is no end to the enjoyment you can have,

Here is an interesting bit of research which might help you to understand a bit more about Taiwanese humor,

But I am still trying to find more, if any, valid research relating to Thai humor,

Because there are many who agree with you, that Thais don't know how to tell a proper joke,

Abstract

Humor has been recognized by nurse researchers and practitioners as a constructive therapeutic intervention and has shown positive psychological and physiological outcomes for patient care. Because cross-cultural research on humor is sparse, this preliminary study investigates how nursing faculty members approach teaching therapeutic humor in the classroom and clinical education in different countries. Through an investigation of classroom (didactic) education and clinical practicum with direct patient care, the study may elucidate the linkage between theory and practice as well as how nursing faculty members view therapeutic humor in general. Researching nursing faculty teaching practices and viewpoints of therapeutic humor may help reveal cultural differences in the use of humor in healthcare settings. This cross-cultural study included 40 nursing faculty at three nursing programs: two in the United States and one in Taiwan. A qualitative approach was used to perform content analysis on responses to the open-ended questionnaires. Research findings revealed cultural differences between faculties from the two countries. Taiwanese faculty members indicated that they teach more theory and concepts related to therapeutic humor in the classroom than do nursing faculty members from the United States. However, nursing faculty members in Taiwan reported that they observe and practice less therapeutic humor in clinical settings out of respect for the cultural value of "reverence of illness" operating within Taiwanese society. Therapeutic humor was family centered and interdependent on relationships, roles, duties, and responsibilities of family members. In contrast, the U.S. faculty members stated that they teach less theory and concepts related to therapeutic humor in the classroom but observe and practice humor more in clinical settings. United States faculty approached teaching therapeutic humor in the classroom on an informal basis because the subject was not part of the required nursing curricula. In clinical settings, therapeutic humor was patient centered and spontaneous in nature.

Boy oh boy, are you bored.

You are joking,

Right?

• Like 1

Not the Thais.

Abstract

I think you have problems understanding what I wrote.

I wrote that Thais are funny, have humor, etc.

I wrote they have funny conversational humor, wordplays, and slapstick. Wordplays and conversational humor can be very witty, subtle forms of humor.

I just say Thai humor does not contain a lot of jokes, in the form of telling some short story with a logical/situational punchline.

And I note your post does not contain a joke.