Shutdown will be a flop, says Thaksin aide

webfact

Just this past few seconds, someone took to the stage in Asoke and made an announcement in English. I couldn't catch the words exactly but it was obviously directed to foreigners. Are they now calling upon foreigners to join the protests to swell the numbers?

How many baht per day can we claim and will it include a visa or permanent residency???

• Like 1

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder if that was his logic in April/May 2010? The red shirts set the precedent for taking the capitol hostage to get your way.

Apart from 2 rather important points.

1) The red shirts did not get their way

2) The PAD were the ones that set the mass prolonged street protests, which the Red subsequently followed.

1) Sure they did. Abhisit called elections early.

2) I suppose there's a difference between a street protest and an armed encampment. Maybe not.

The yellows certainly had an armed encampment at Suvarnabhumi Airport. "Another checkpoint found an Uzi submachine gun, homemade guns, ammunition, sling shots, bullet-proof vests and metal rods. The vehicle had the universally recognised Red Cross signs on its exterior to give the impression it was being used for medical emergencies." IPS news

How many did this armed yellows kill?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Took them a day to start going back to work. I suppose you can only take so many selfies before it all becomes a bit boring sitting around on chip wrappers in the heat.

And this is only the cool season...

No chance the Sino-Thais will have the stomach to continue protesting once the weather starts heating up in March.

Then you have water fights in April.

That trip to Rome is probably booked for May.

June is the start of the wet season.

Thaskin seems to think that Thailand still loves him, nothing could be further from the truth, this guy is either dumb or in denial , Thaskin you have completely wreaked Thailand as a friendly country with a caring population , now it is dog eat dog, something Burma couldn't do nor the Japanese, Thaskins aid is just a mouth piece for a man who at best was a megalomaniac, this aid needs to get a real job , as for the Shutdown being a flop , we will see. bah.gif

Not entirely true. Thaksin is still a very popular figure in a lot of the North and North East regions. If allowed back into Thailand and allowed to run in a national election I am almost positive he would gather a majority of the votes. Yes you may add by paying money, but we all know that this is done on both sides so not a valid point.

Like him or not, he is still a popular political figure in parts of Thailand. Just so happens the parts of Thailand he is still very popular in have a large voting block!

Keep on dreaming.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Simple. YS declares a town meeting. Everyone can talk directly to the PM. This is also part of democracy, not to ignore the voice of the few. That means she should have no problem discussing important issues with its citizens. Is she ready to do what is necessary to move forward or pretend that she cares and put things off. All her ideas don't pan out, so why not listen to others ideas. Besides, I think people know how dis genuine this govt. thinks. Accept her.

She won't debate with anyone

Kermit the frog would challenge her intellectually without breaking into a sweat

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Took them a day to start going back to work. I suppose you can only take so many selfies before it all becomes a bit boring sitting around on chip wrappers in the heat.

And this is only the cool season...

No chance the Sino-Thais will have the stomach to continue protesting once the weather starts heating up in March.

Then you have water fights in April.

That trip to Rome is probably booked for May.

June is the start of the wet season.

No, the trip to Rome is booked for April, 08th April to be precise, just before the start of the Songkran holidays.

Admittedly, after my earlier post, the numbers have swelled quite a bit, presumably a combination of after office hours and the cool weather. It is actually quite pleasant to be able to lie down on Asoke Montri and listen to some pop music - have to put this down to once in a lifetime event.

The people I know who are there have gone prepared to be there for a month.

They will be joined by the rice farmers in a couple of days, see other topic.

A few old ladies,? go look elsewhere on this site and see the list of those who are supporting Suthep.

Of course the numbers will fluctuate, everyone cant be there all the time, some will join in their lunch time, after work, some will go home for a time then go back.

The only flop is the PT Govt and they have proved that over the last 2 years.

As for the poster who says they have no trouble selling their rice. That's a different thing altogether.

Buyers are buying direct from the farmers, the ones who haven't joined the scheme and those who have produced over the limit the Govt set that each family could pledge.

The buyers are buying new seasons rice at market prices, below what the Govt is asking and because of increased production have been able to buy most of what they need to fill their orders therefore they don't have to buy from the Govt.

That is why the Govt has only been ably to get bids on a fraction of what they have put up for auction, and why they cant sell old stored rice.

So the Govt has not been able to sell enough rice to pay the farmers and have broken so many promises to pay that the farmers are now joining the protests.

• Like 1

Tuesday afternoon now on Big Shutdown Week. What's the latest on the Big Bangkok Flop? Any tanks on the street yet or is it still just a bunch of old women blowing whistles!

It's pretty much just that! Except today there have been far fewer of them. I would imagine by Thursday it will have petered out completely and Suthep will have to try something new!

Something new? Hmmmm .. what's left that they haven't already discounted?

1. Protesting on top of Baiyoke Tower.

2. Getting everyone drunk and marching along the MRT and BTS tracks late at night.

3. A drinking game between Suthep and Yingluck.

4. Protesters marching backwards blindfolded.

5. A 'dress like Suthep' fancy dress day.

hahaha....great post!

But may I suggest to alter point 5 ?

Make it a Dr. Seri "dress like Seri" fancy dress day to make it real fun!!

The people I know who are there have gone prepared to be there for a month.

They will be joined by the rice farmers in a couple of days, see other topic.

A few old ladies,? go look elsewhere on this site and see the list of those who are supporting Suthep.

With all that support you would expect the democrats to win the election in a landslide...

• Like 1

Tuesday afternoon now on Big Shutdown Week. What's the latest on the Big Bangkok Flop? Any tanks on the street yet or is it still just a bunch of old women blowing whistles!

Intersections are still blocked. Traffic is light to non-existent. The shutdown seems to be doing what it says.

Two days into the Big Flop and by all accounts traffic in Bangkok is coping quite well. Less than to weeks now until the election and not even the Thai generals would be dumb enough to stage a coup so soon before a democratic election. Game over!

Two days into the Big Flop and by all accounts traffic in Bangkok is coping quite well. Less than to weeks now until the election and not even the Thai generals would be dumb enough to stage a coup so soon before a democratic election. Game over!

Traffic is coping well because no one is driving.

Sent from my phone ...

Sent from my phone ...

This is true, then again there arnt really many protesters either, spread far to thin and people have lives to get on with like the day job.

The novelty has worn off and hes made far too many normal people uneasy with this no negotiation ever, no power to the people until we sort it with our choice sales pitch.

I cannot see people with daily lives to lead paying day after day to come protest when they just dont have the time and cant afford the bill. weekend maybe if they have nothing better to do but again the novelty has worn off and if they have a 3 hr trip to work during the week or worse forget them coming to help on the weekends.

Plus since the frozen accounts numbers have dropped off too, maybe a coincidence maybe not, stuff and people cost money though. I did hear that some protesters are actively asking for donations now too, seems either there is a cashflow issue or some are trying to make a fast buck no idea which but the source is honest, had been to the first few marches and was a little bit shocked when asked to contribute in Asoke today the asking amount was 1000 baht, maybe that was due to the Merc she drives and seemed a little steep but i got to admit its mainly 1000 baht notes that seem to be thrust at Suthep so maybe thats the standard now.

Time to wrap things up and go home before things get desperate if they havnt already

• Like 1

Sent from my phone ...

This is true, then again there arnt really many protesters either, spread far to thin and people have lives to get on with like the day job.

The novelty has worn off and hes made far too many normal people uneasy with this no negotiation ever, no power to the people until we sort it with our choice sales pitch.

I cannot see people with daily lives to lead paying day after day to come protest when they just dont have the time and cant afford the bill. weekend maybe if they have nothing better to do but again the novelty has worn off and if they have a 3 hr trip to work during the week or worse forget them coming to help on the weekends.

Plus since the frozen accounts numbers have dropped off too, maybe a coincidence maybe not, stuff and people cost money though. I did hear that some protesters are actively asking for donations now too, seems either there is a cashflow issue or some are trying to make a fast buck no idea which but the source is honest, had been to the first few marches and was a little bit shocked when asked to contribute in Asoke today the asking amount was 1000 baht, maybe that was due to the Merc she drives and seemed a little steep but i got to admit its mainly 1000 baht notes that seem to be thrust at Suthep so maybe thats the standard now.

Time to wrap things up and go home before things get desperate if they havnt already

They don't need a large number of protesters, they just need to block intersections.

Sent from my phone ...

Sent from my phone ...

They don't need a large number of protesters, they just need to block intersections.

Sent from my phone ...

Maybe so but that hasnt been the plan or the claim remember its been millions half a million 20 locations now 7 and now its going mobile during the day .. they think , they cant shut down the intersections and march on this or that building as well without the numbers it will just look too pathetic, I expect them to abandon a few of these locations as time goes on.

what they need to do is enter talks, there is nothing to lose by doing so

Sent from my phone ...

Maybe so but that hasnt been the plan or the claim remember its been millions half a million 20 locations now 7 and now its going mobile during the day .. they think , they cant shut down the intersections and march on this or that building as well without the numbers it will just look too pathetic, I expect them to abandon a few of these locations as time goes on.

If you enter talks with people that lie, then there's a LOT to lose. Remember, they're in the streets NOW, specifically because after enough bad experiences (floods, rice, etc), they just don't TRUST this little 'family govermentship'.

Wow.. Did Taskin's mouthpiece just paint Suthep to be Adolph Hitler?

Hello Pot? This is Kettle, calling! ermm.gif

Any comparison with Hitler could be part of the campaign.It seems Hitler is a popular figure with some students at Chula ( a key Suthep support base), so the point is valid

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/653200-bangkok-chula-students-celebrate-graduation-with-hitler/

• Like 1

Sent from my phone ...

Sorry to say, wishful thinking. But thanks for your in depth analysis. You really have no idea what this is about and thanks for the comic relief.

• Like 1

Their aim was to shut down Bangkok. Blocking the major intersections and going mobile to block other intersections seems to be doing that.

When one side says "She has to go" and the other says "I'm not going", what is to gain by talking? One side has to give up. There won't (can't) be a compromise.

I found this blog called Land Destroyer that offers a reason behind the protests, it says that the Thaksin regime is heavily backed by Wall Street and other international interests who want a pliable regime in power that would allow foreign interests to exploit Thailand and other countries in the region, whereas the anti-government protests are happening as a result of a desire to be free from such international manipulation. Here is the link, i hope it works. http://landdestroyer.blogspot.com/

Seriously? Is this how they plan to topple a government? By impersonating seven roadworks sites and thinning out the Bangkok traffic a bit? Day three and the flop goes on. The rent is due at the end of the month and I doubt if Bangkok businesspeople will tolerate this farce much longer.

post-70418-0-93658100-1389749453_thumb.j....post-70418-0-43519800-1389749476_thumb.j

While the support for Suthep is (naturally) disappearing, the support for the government is still intact.

Good news that the violence and criminal aims of the yellows are met with peaceful resistance of the reds and candle lighting.

Democracy must win over dictatorship.

post-12654-1389750608779_thumb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone...

• Like 1

While the support for Suthep is (naturally) disappearing, the support for the government is still intact. Good news that the violence and criminal aims of the yellows are met with peaceful resistance of the reds and candle lighting. Democracy must win over dictatorship. attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThaivisa Connect Thailand1389750608.234814.jpg Sent from my iPhone...

"Democracy must win over dictatorship"

Yes, Yingluck should step down. whistling.gif

• Like 2

Sent from my phone ...

Youo've got to hand it to Suthep.

None of Thaksin's incarnations ever managed to get close to solving Bangkok's traffic problems despite all his empty promises.

Suthep, holder of the Asia "person of the year" award, managed it at the first attempt

While the support for Suthep is (naturally) disappearing, the support for the government is still intact. Good news that the violence and criminal aims of the yellows are met with peaceful resistance of the reds and candle lighting. Democracy must win over dictatorship. attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThaivisa Connect Thailand1389750608.234814.jpg Sent from my iPhone...

You should follow the news more closely. She's already stepped down. She and the cabinet are acting only as caretakers until the election due in less than two weeks. The 15 million problems for the anti democracy mob is that two weeks from now she will be returned to government with a fresh democratic mandate and a truly huge majority. Not even the Thai generals would be dumb enough to stage a coup less than two weeks before a free and fair election.

You should follow the news more closely. She's already stepped down. She and the cabinet are acting only as caretakers until the election due in less than two weeks. The 15 million problems for the anti democracy mob is that two weeks from now she will be returned to government with a fresh democratic mandate and a truly huge majority. Not even the Thai generals would be dumb enough to stage a coup less than two weeks before a free and fair election.

... And after the election, which will be won easily by PT, the anti-Thaksin farangs will have to swallow (again) their anger and hate for PT, Yingluck, the reds, their supporters, the majority of the people, ... and put their dream of a new "farang friendly" government, easing their visa requirements, away... till the next dirty move of the Dems (which these anti democracy farangs will applaud)

:).

Sent from my iPhone...

Edited by gerry1011
  • Like 1