Suthep kicks off Bangkok shutdown mass protest

webfact

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I walked with Suthep from Chidlom to Asok.

The people were 100% peaceful and friendly.The Asok stage area is full of tents. Nobody plans on leaving anytime soon. The entertainment was very good also. Sukhumvit is totally closed to cars.

I drove down Sukhumvit today.

Just called a Thai friend, a retired general, whose house is right on one of the roads used by the "protesters". He said that he went out to talk to them and found that many of the people he saw had been bused in from southern Thailand. They had been given 2,000 baht a piece for their "protesting" efforts. We are planning to get a group of us friends together and go protest tomorrow. What a great party we could have for 2,000 baht each.

I think those who voluntarily join the protest will not be paid. But if somebody recruits you and your group, it is there where you are paid

Suthep said last night that there was no negotiation with the caretaker Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra.

He said she now has one choice, to step down and leave the country.

I didn't see Suthep saying that if Yingluck will not step down, he will voluntarily give up to the police and face the charges against him.

Well done Suphet. Notice difference between red shirt thugs in 2010 and this protest. So fat totally peaceful no burnings no guns with protestors just a very large group of determined people who are totally sick and tired of Taksin and his lot just doing whatever they want.

I never thought Suphet it stood a chance but whatever Taksin supporters here say just going by crowds he obviously has massive support. And before we get a barrage of BS about elected government democracy elections and rest it is obvious to anyone not blind that Taksin and his vile government are not wanted by a very large section of Thais of all walks of life.

To hold an election on 2nd feb is pointless and will achieve nothing. It would not even result in a government even if Taksin got 100% of vote since os many wont vote and their cant be enough MPs anyway. Even if Taksin managed to disregard rules again and try ot form a parliament it simply would not be accepted by so many it oculd not function and Army will not intervene.

So only way pout is for Yingluk to resign and a interim new caretaker government not linked to Taksin take over for a few months while reforms are put in place. Then have an election without Taksin (or it simply wont work) and most would accept a voted government even one most red shirts would want provided Taksin was not involved.

The only other way out is an army coup or Taksin pays enough to start a real civil war which in his desperation he could well try however I dont think that will work and I cant see cowardly reds supporting in enough numbers and so hell have to rely on paid mercenaries.

Before Taksin tries to turn Thailand into a sort of Syria he should but wont do decent thing for sake of Thailand. Being vile coward he is and fact all he cares for is his own then that is not going to happen.

• Like 2

Well, if the writer says that Thaksin was "exiled," then it certainly is opinion -- not news -- and misinformed, biased opinion at that. Thaksin was never exiled - he is a fugitive from justice.

Ill give you a bye ball and presume English is not your first language.

Deinfition of exile - "Exile means to be away from one's home (i.e. city, state or country), while either being explicitly refused permission to return and/or being threatened with imprisonment or death upon return."

The article is bang on the money and from a newspaper renowned by the worlds academics Id expect no less.

"Suthep said last night that there was no negotiation with the caretaker Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra.

"He said she now has one choice, to step down and leave the country."

If she goes north, do you have the balls to take your protests there?

She isn't going anywhere, fool. Though she may setup her government there, with or w/o a "coup" of various kinds occuring.

The People's Republic of Poo?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Please provide the links to information that supports your view that world opinion has moved firmly to favour Yingluck. I can find support for a peaceful solution, support for democracy and elections. But I can't see mass information that specifically supports your statement that world opinion firmly favours Yingluck or her caretaker government.

Should be easy for you, after all you say you do a bit of research before posting what you think is cool, So, please share it with us all.

Virtually every single Western power has called for democracy to prevail. This is where Yingluck has done a turn on Suthep beyond belief. Shes managed to turn the issue away from the corruption plaugeing her government to one about defending democracy, hence the "Respect My Vote" campaign drawing in people who actually hate her and her brother. World opinion is forced to support her as she is the only one backing democracy.

Here is an article out today from probably the most highly respected international affairs publication in the world -

http://www.economist.com/news/asia/21593419-varying-degrees-justification-election-boycotts-are-vogue-asia-trouble

" The main opposition group, the Democrat Party, should contemplate a name change: to the “anti-Democrats”, perhaps, or the catchier “Born to Rule!”. It is boycotting next month’s election not because it would be unfair (though it might be), but because it would lose. It has not won a general election for more than two decades. Its supporters in the south are outnumbered by those in the north and north-east of the country, who keep on voting in proxies for Thaksin Shinawatra, an exiled former prime minister. The forces that the Born to Rules represent, including much of Thailand’s traditional elite, find this impossible to accept. They are openly campaigning for what amounts to dictatorship, though they do not call it that. Democracy has not worked for the Democrats."

This is World Opinion, sorry if it doesnt match the TV clique of "I moved to Thailand as a sex tourist but want to try and be middle class" crew.

Same organ:

http://www.economist.com/blogs/banyan/2013/11/thailands-protests-0

Well done Suphet. Notice difference between red shirt thugs in 2010 and this protest. So fat totally peaceful no burnings no guns with protestors just a very large group of determined people who are totally sick and tired of Taksin and his lot just doing whatever they want.

I never thought Suphet it stood a chance but whatever Taksin supporters here say just going by crowds he obviously has massive support. And before we get a barrage of BS about elected government democracy elections and rest it is obvious to anyone not blind that Taksin and his vile government are not wanted by a very large section of Thais of all walks of life.

To hold an election on 2nd feb is pointless and will achieve nothing. It would not even result in a government even if Taksin got 100% of vote since os many wont vote and their cant be enough MPs anyway. Even if Taksin managed to disregard rules again and try ot form a parliament it simply would not be accepted by so many it oculd not function and Army will not intervene.

So only way pout is for Yingluk to resign and a interim new caretaker government not linked to Taksin take over for a few months while reforms are put in place. Then have an election without Taksin (or it simply wont work) and most would accept a voted government even one most red shirts would want provided Taksin was not involved.

The only other way out is an army coup or Taksin pays enough to start a real civil war which in his desperation he could well try however I dont think that will work and I cant see cowardly reds supporting in enough numbers and so hell have to rely on paid mercenaries.

Before Taksin tries to turn Thailand into a sort of Syria he should but wont do decent thing for sake of Thailand. Being vile coward he is and fact all he cares for is his own then that is not going to happen.

Im glad your happy and satisfied, now maybe they can all just go home and let people get on with a normal BKK life until the elections.

Your obsession with mentioning Thaksin 8 x in your post reds being cowards and Syria comparison et al just shows you as a typical drama queen. Go back to watching skyblue dreaming and the rest of us will get on with life.

btw if your still whining about the control from Dubai after 9 years just how are you going to stop any Shin from ever taking part in a political process if they wish in the future, ban the name from Thai politics forever perhaps or some other load of bs ?? The truth is you cant short of killing them all.

Get real, all sides have to sit down and work on it together, that includes the Shins and the current elite amongst others. Until Thailand learns to compromise and share things will only repeat.

well it is all about Taksin or are you one of deluded who thinks its about democracy or anything else. You dont negotiate with a scorpion and if you think theirs a chance in hell of negotiating this away your will see it aint going to happen

While I would not go as far as to say shoot them all it would solve the problem. Anyway if head is defeated the other pathetic money grabbing part of his clan will be no real threat and will just vanish to enjoy their billions stolen

And yes I am very satisfied after 30 years living here to at last see a chance of ridding Thailand of this cancer and happy for my family to take their chances with anyone else. This is worst most corrupt evil government I've seen in 30+ years

Its way past negotiation and was as soon as the amnesty bill was pushed through.

But please be satisfied should Taksin still be undefeated with seeing a one party Taksin dictatorship within a few years.

If you have not seen yet that its all about one man Taksin has always been about Taksin greed and obsession, has always been the one aim to give taksin pardon Taksin could have simply left the scene to enjoy his stolen money but no Taksin wants more Taksin wants it all Taksin wants revenge Taksin has caused all this and Taksin is IMO them oat vile dangerous person at moment Taksin would destroy any freedom here Taksin used his paid red thugs in 2010 and Taksin will try that again Taksin stole and is stealing billions and Taksin has like Hitler brainwashed many poor Taksin has been on tube admitting buying and paying for votes Taksin has been caught trying to bribe judges It is all about Taksin and nothing else and hers I am obsesses against Taksins greed corruption and megalomania

Please enjoy thought of another 9 years of Taksin its not one many many Thais would enjoy

woo hoo x 20 Thaksins this time well done clap2.gif ... umm i dont think weve had 30 years of it btw do some homework lets not get melodramatic here whistling.gif

Still don't have an answer to just how Thailand moves forward constructively without all sides sitting down. Ranting is just dandy but it fails in having any solution which is why nothing will change until common sense prevails. Unfortunately Thailands not big on common sense.

Thaksin is just the product of the corrupt Thai system and could not have done these things unless the system was already rotten to the core. It takes two to strike a deal and a lot of his partners hae been well taken care of and are untouchable. They are no less to blame. When the veil lifts in a few years as to what has gone on in the past and hidden behind taboo discussions atm we will probably find the corruption, meddling and thieving has been endemic by certain parties for a long long time only hidden behind a curtain of feudal gagging laws.

• Like 2

Well, if the writer says that Thaksin was "exiled," then it certainly is opinion -- not news -- and misinformed, biased opinion at that. Thaksin was never exiled - he is a fugitive from justice.

Deinfition of exile - "Exile means to be away from one's home (i.e. city, state or country), while either being explicitly refused permission to return and/or being threatened with imprisonment or death upon return."

The article is bang on the money and from a newspaper renowned by the worlds academics Id expect no less.

Thaksin is a fugitive from justice, a common criminal who is avoiding gaol time. He is welcome to return as long as he goes straight to gaol. He's not exiled, he's running from justice.

• Like 1

Thaksin is a fugitive from justice, a common criminal who is avoiding gaol time. He is welcome to return as long as he goes straight to gaol. He's not exiled, he's running from justice.

Perhaps is he also, Haroldc was suggesting the article was flawed by using the term exile. What part of the term exile suggests bias? For me exile and fugitive sit fine together if you want to take that view.

The article is bang on the money and how the world, and rational people in Thailand (not the TV sexpats trying to be hi so) see it

Edited by tullynagardy

Perhaps is he also, Haroldc was suggesting the article was flawed by using the term exile. What part of the term exile suggests bias? For me exile and fugitive sit fine together if you want to take that view.

The article is bang on the money and how the world, and rationale people in Thailand (not the TV sexpats trying to be hi so) see it

Haroldc says that saying thaksin was exiled is wrong. That's true enough. He wasn't exiled, he fled. But if you see exile and fugitive as the same thing, I'll leave it at that. I don't see a difference, but that's me.

( On a seperate unrelated note, What's this thing you've got about TV posters being "sexpats"? You've mentioned it at least twice on this page alone. A lot of us came here for work and continue to stay here because of work).

Edited by Bluespunk

Haroldc says that saying thaksin was exiled is wrong. That's true enough. He wasn't exiled, he fled. But if you see exile and fugitive as the same thing, I'll leave it at that. I don't see a difference, but that's me.

( On a seperate unrelated note, What's this thing you've got about TV posters being "sexpats"? You've mentioned it at least twice on this page alone. A lot of us came here for work and continue to stay here because of work. It's a very judgemental term to use)

I`ve provided a definition of the term exile. One quick read of it shows its a perfect fit to describe Thaskin. To say it implies bias in the article is bullshit, I`ve asked you to show otherwise and you cant. For the record I also think he is a fugitive.

This board is packed with users trying to prove themselves, these threads more than most. Ever wondered how everyone has married a hi so girl with 3 degrees on here, yet everyone you see on the flight home is a fat bald 60 year old wearing a Chang singlet with a bargirl on their arm? My experience of people being so vehemently pro Suthep here (against all the principles they have been brought up to cherish in their own country) is due to some vain attempt to try and be part of the establishment here and give them some middle class credence. They are trying to distance themselves from their red supporting bargirl spouses to be something their not.

Edited by tullynagardy
  • Like 1

I walked with Suthep from Chidlom to Asok.

The people were 100% peaceful and friendly.The Asok stage area is full of tents. Nobody plans on leaving anytime soon. The entertainment was very good also. Sukhumvit is totally closed to cars.

Good for you. Will you now tell them to shut the f*** up so that my 2 year old son can get some sleep?

• Like 2

( On a seperate unrelated note, What's this thing you've got about TV posters being "sexpats"? You've mentioned it at least twice on this page alone. A lot of us came here for work and continue to stay here because of work. It's a very judgemental term to use)

I`ve provided a definition of the term exile. One quick read of it shows its a perfect fit to describe Thaskin. To say it implies bias in the article is bullshit, I`ve asked you to show otherwise and you cant. For the record I also think he is a fugitive.

This board is packed with users trying to prove themselves, these threads more than most. Ever wondered how everyone has married a hi so girl with 3 degrees on here, yet everyone you see on the flight home is a fat bald 60 year old wearing a Chang singlet with a bargirl on their arm? My experience of people being so vehemently pro Suthep here (against all the principles they have been brought up to cherish in their own country) is due to some vain attempt to try and be part of the establishment here and give them some middle class credence. They are trying to distance themselves from their red supporting bargirl spouses to be something their not.

To me exile is someone who has been forced out of their country because of no fault of their own, it has a more noble feel to it. Almost like an innocent being persecuted. Fugitive is less so. But as I say that's my take on the difference.

On the use of sexpats, just seems a bit strong of a term to use.

Edited by Bluespunk

Oh my, an estimated 10,000 people joined him.

So much for the millions then. tongue.png

If Suthep doesn't have at least 1 million or even a few hundred thousand and can only muster 50,000 in total, he's not going to look too good as he said millions were coming.

Only 10,000.....and still the authorities won't try and stop this nonsense.........

I still say that regardless of the crowds, whether large or not, Suthep keeps moving forward.....I'm amazed that there hasn't been a concerted effort to bring the protests to an end.....obviously violence is not wanted....but it's hard to believe that it's the main reason not to try and stop things.

Try opening your eyes and reading properly. That was 10,000 people marching with him in one area, not 10,000 total protestors. There are many tens of thousands in different places.

I suspect that there are a lot of people quietly wondering if the Syrian government are really the bad guys any more - sure they did bad things - so do both sides but it does seem their fear of a hardline Islamic state is somewhat justified. All that however has nothing to do with Thailand and bad as he was I think some of you see Thaksin as some kind of potential Hitler - I do not believe he wold have engaged in geonocide or done away with elections - whether he prefered a presidency to a monarchy is not a debate I would attempt to hold on here but neither of those are a hanging offence.

What I do see is, as in many other countries, a growing middle.-upper class which is still a minority and none to anxious to give away half of what they have to feed the poor and even out wealth.

10,000, 50,000 or even 100,000 is not representative of the country - politicians need to win the hearts and minds of ordinary people not make life even more difficult for them.

• Like 1

'Strewth - I am seething.

It's past 1 am and one of the 8 rally stages near my residence is still blaring music, loud enough to be heard 500 m away through closed windows.

I don't even want to try the normal avenues - the local Cop Shop & the Bangkok Governor's office.

I hope this ends soon, as I need to work every day.

Just called a Thai friend, a retired general, whose house is right on one of the roads used by the "protesters". He said that he went out to talk to them and found that many of the people he saw had been bused in from southern Thailand. They had been given 2,000 baht a piece for their "protesting" efforts. We are planning to get a group of us friends together and go protest tomorrow. What a great party we could have for 2,000 baht each.

That's strange, my wife and her friends as well as several hundred others from our village have been in BKK for several weeks protesting and no one has offered them any money to go. I had better let her know she is losing outxsad.png.pagespeed.ic.5zxzyGiJz0.png .

My wife tells me they are offering 500bht per day in Kanchanaburi but very few takers.

Realistically I am sure it is happening, but I am sure that the average farmer around here (NST) earning 200 -300 Baht a day would jump at the chance! What I have been amazed at though is how militant everyone around here has become especially as the attitude has always been that it doesn't matter who you vote for, it's not going to any difference. If nothing else comes of this at least it may make Thais take their politics a bit more seriously which can only be a good thing.

I will forward these comments to Khun Suthep's FB private message and I will ask him to response on his next speech whether it is true or not. I want to know this also.

The article is bang on the money and how the world, and rational people in Thailand (not the TV sexpats trying to be hi so) see it

The term Exile has never fitted very well in the case of Thaksin.

Here is Collins Dictionary Interpretation:

exile prolonged usually enforced absence from one's country,

person banished or living away from his or her country expel from one's country.

Thaksin ran away from his own Country in order to escape criminal convictions.

He was not expelled from his own Country!

Neither is he banished from his own Country!

He has never been banned from entering his own country (Thailand)

Nor has his absence been enforced since he absconded.

He has had his Thai Passport Reinstated.

So no! Exile and Fugitive in this instance do not sit well together!

The term Exile has never fitted very well in the case of Thaksin.

Here is Collins Dictionary Interpretation:

exile prolonged usually enforced absence from one's country,

person banished or living away from his or her country expel from one's country.

Thaksin ran away from his own Country in order to escape criminal convictions.

He was not expelled from his own Country!

Neither is he banished from his own Country!

He has never been banned from entering his own country (Thailand)

Nor has his absence been enforced since he absconded.

He has had his Thai Passport Reinstated.

So no! Exile and Fugitive in this instance do not sit well together!

What is the obsession with this word!? There is nothing in your definition which rings untrue and the presence of the word in an article does not suggest bias. The article is very fair and highlights the farcical situation on the streets of Bangkok.

Ps You avatar is unusual. Would it not make more sense with the other 3 flags being the ones to make up the Union Flag? off topic I know but its a strange one.

I think those who voluntarily join the protest will not be paid. But if somebody recruits you and your group, it is there where you are paid

wife rang me this morning to say all is okay, she has made many new friends at the protest and all is peaceful

told her about applemans message and she laughed, and asked me

why is Thaskin paying Farlang to say BS on this web site?

THIS IS THAILAND, NOTHING TO DO WITH STUPID FARLANG

No one is being paid we are all here to get rid of Thaskin

Once the government postpone the election till after the 180 days to get the SET THASKIN FREE amendment, most will go home

We are not protesting for The Democrats

We are here to get rid of Thaskin curruption