Foreign numb nuts on stage

jkinbkk

All foreigners in Thailand should know that it's best to stay out of this, or risking being deported:

attachicon.gifimmigra (1).jpg

So why are the Thais so fearful that foreigners might join a protest??

Apparently is it a security issue. If a tourist is injured in a demonstration it can scare many other tourists off. Also if a group is standing and protesting and the other side sees them they might aim for the "farang" since it might make a bigger impact.

Also I would like to the thread, that I have Thai friends, that is thai born with foreign parents, and of cause they look exactly like farang but has never left the country. They can both vote and demonstrate. But my friends do not, but I believe there can be others.

• Like 1

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Putting aside the validity of whatever these "tourists" had to say was worth listening to or not...

I think it's very myopic for Thais to completely discredit and reject any opinions from people born outside of Thailand.

Short sighted, very immature, and often beyond logic.

Plenty of people have moved here and made Thailand their home, we contribute, and all of this affects us too.

Permanent residents should be allowed to vote + all the other trimmings, especially those with wives and children.

It reeks of xenophobia and "ooh this is Thailand, suck it" isn't an answer worth dignifying with a response.

That's very true. Although joining in anti-government rallies is not the way I think change is going to happen, not for ordinary Thais, nor for expats or anyone else. There needs to be better and more effective ways of having our say.

Just in: "A couple of Italian and American tourists" are in hospital after being sighted on stage at one of the 'mob' protest sites.

Not the Nation.

Actually, although it is an incredibly stupid thing for any farang to do, the fact that such people are not really bothered by the protesters seems to fly in the face of the Thai Visa intelligentsia who are always going on about how disliked farang are and how the general population spends all its waking hours loathing them and plotting against the dreaded farang.

They are indeed setting themselves up for possible arrest and deportation, but no one is seizing this opportunity to do them any harm under the guise of unintended collateral consequences. As is generally true, most Thais probably don't spend much time thinking about farangs at all even when they are making fools of themselves in public and, in fact, they probably feel somewhat protective towards them as anyone might when dealing with simpletons.

If, as alleged by the THEY Don't Want US Here crowd, so many Thais were spending their time nursing a grudge or feeling enmity toward farangs generally, how easy it would be to hammer a few of these twits into the pavement for entertainment.

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 2

All foreigners in Thailand should know that it's best to stay out of this, or risking being deported:

Apparently is it a security issue. If a tourist is injured in a demonstration it can scare many other tourists off. Also if a group is standing and protesting and the other side sees them they might aim for the "farang" since it might make a bigger impact.

Also I would like to the thread, that I have Thai friends, that is thai born with foreign parents, and of cause they look exactly like farang but has never left the country. They can both vote and demonstrate. But my friends do not, but I believe there can be others.

If these tourists haven't already gotten the picture that it's probably best to avoid Thailand nowadays due to the political situation altogether, I don't know what else it will take. Why do people still come and put up with all this inconvenience? Nobody is forcing them to come here. If I wasn't working here right now, I certainly wouldn't be visiting Bangkok right now. There are plenty of other and better destinations to visit just in this region alone, no need to come to Thailand and especially to Bangkok right now...some visitors just don't get it.

its possible some non-thais do know the issues!

Not only do some non-Thai know the issues, but unlike the majority of those posting within this forum who identify themselves as tourists; many of us are gainfully employed and pay a huge amount of income tax here in Thailand... does this give us a right to question the kind of cronyism and nepotism which is fueled by our hard earned cash...? Just asking...

• Like 2

@OP: Whether you agree with what they are doing or not is it not better to actually be part of what THEY believe in rather than being the mighty keyboard warrior dissing those that actually get off their sofa?

Whoa! What they believe in has absolutely NO relevance, here. Tourist or otherwise, we have NO right to get involved! We are guests in this country and should not forget that! Crikey, life can be difficult enough for us farang who actually live here, without numskulls like this drawing attention to ourselves - especially at a time like this!

• Like 1

Putting aside the validity of whatever these "tourists" had to say was worth listening to or not...

I think it's very myopic for Thais to completely discredit and reject any opinions from people born outside of Thailand.

Plenty of people have moved here and made Thailand their home, we contribute, and all of this affects us too.

Permanent residents should be allowed to vote + all the other trimmings, especially those with wives and children.

It reeks of xenophobia and "ooh this is Thailand, suck it" isn't an answer worth dignifying with a response.

hahaha, he said 'logic' and 'thais' in the same sentence! cheesy.gif

• Like 2

I live here yet I understand that I am only a guest and ,as such, have very little in the way of rights .....

My opinions, being a Farang , are valueless and any political issues in this country are not my business ......So what I find particularly galling in all this ,is that these dim -witted protesters are carrying placards written in English !

Respect my vote ???

...and whom are you addressing anyway ??? ...and why ???

• Like 1

Citizens can vote. Same as all the other countries. If you have denounced your home country and now posses a Thai passport, you can vote. Where's the problem?

Why should you have to denounce your home country to become a Thai Citizen - that doesn't happen the other way around in the UK - and seriously what really are the chances of becoming a Thai citizen?

• Like 1

@OP: Whether you agree with what they are doing or not is it not better to actually be part of what THEY believe in rather than being the mighty keyboard warrior dissing those that actually get off their sofa?

Whoa! What they believe in has absolutely NO relevance, here. Tourist or otherwise, we have NO right to get involved! We are guests in this country and should not forget that! Crikey, life can be difficult enough for us farang who actually live here, without numskulls like this drawing attention to ourselves - especially at a time like this!

Well I for one never considered my Thai partner to be a guest when he came to the UK - he was not a visitor and had a right to an opinion about uk politics - after a couple of years he got the right to vote. The attitude may be commonplace but doesn't mean that it isn't still xenophobia. Most countries (an I include the UK) should spend a lot more time listening to independent external opinions and advice

As for joining protests well that is I agree plain silly whether you are farang or Thai - find something useful to do instead

Wow. So you think because you can rub enough nickles & dimes together to buy a plane ticket, you can come here as a guest and agitate against the government, and that you automatically have all those same free speech rights you take for granted back home. Pretty arrogant attitude for a foreigner. I'll bet you think lese majeste is a french dessert.

We're all entitled to our opinions, and to express them in appropriate places (e.g., here...), but not to try and participate in thai political activism. Your invitation to the kingdom did not include political agitation privileges. Now most thais, regardless of political stripe, probably won't care (much). But if the odd one leaves you sneakers up in some small alley someday, you'll only have yourself to blame.

Don't exceed your welcome.

• Like 2

Permanent residents is just that, so you are just living here on a permanent basis you are not a citizen so no voting rights. Get citizenship and you can vote and have all the rights. I know a few guys that have gotten Thai citizenship, it takes time and not cheap but can be done.

Don't complain when you have choices, you want to vote get your citizenship.

• Like 1

If these tourists haven't already gotten the picture that it's probably best to avoid Thailand nowadays due to the political situation altogether, I don't know what else it will take. Why do people still come and put up with all this inconvenience? Nobody is forcing them to come here. If I wasn't working here right now, I certainly wouldn't be visiting Bangkok right now. There are plenty of other and better destinations to visit just in this region alone, no need to come to Thailand and especially to Bangkok right now...some visitors just don't get it.

Takes more than a few thousand people in the streets to stop sex tourists

Cool. <deleted> or we'll kick your arse out. Respect.

Lol. Actually more like, respect our customs and our laws or you will be asked to leave.

Maybe a short but loud & outspoken visit to someplace like, oh, I don't know, North Korea or Iran or PRC, would give you a slightly different perspective... Just if you're feeling the need to, you know, get out from behind that keyboard and "express yourself".

• Like 1

I doubt the Thais are "fearful" just very simply it is NONE of the Tourists Business.

Just hope they are rounded-up and sent packing. How would they react if Thai Tourists went and stuck their noses into domestic issues in their country? Send them packing!!

Edited by Torrens54

Both sides would want their followers to believe they have support in the international community, and just like schools needing English "teachers", one solution is grabbing a couple of token white people off the street.

Not fear more that they're adamant that Thailand is for Thais, any outsiders sticking their nose in is taboo.

Except when the foreigner is a paid stooge mouthpiece under strict control of his paymasters.

They don't want or need advice from any outsiders in any field, much less their own internal battles for wealth and power - which is ALL the current circus' are about.

• Like 1

Takes more than a few thousand people in the streets to stop sex tourists

There are tourists that specifically choose to travel in chaotic areas, after disasters, even active war zones. Not only not risk-averse but addicted to the danger adrenaline rush.

Whatever floats your boat I always say, but if they are truly innocent passersby I agree sadly misinformed and likely to receive unintended consequences one way or the other.

I doubt the Thais are "fearful" just very simply it is NONE of the Tourists Business.

Just hope they are rounded-up and sent packing. How would they react if Thai Tourists went and stuck their noses into domestic issues in their country? Send them packing!!

You mean like a Thai/Aussie/Brit etc wanting to express themselves in Australia/Europe/US? They'd have every right wouldn't they?

• Like 1

Citizens can vote. Same as all the other countries. If you have denounced your home country and now posses a Thai passport, you can vote. Where's the problem?

Why should you have to denounce your home country to become a Thai Citizen - that doesn't happen the other way around in the UK - and seriously what really are the chances of becoming a Thai citizen?

Plenty of Thais were actually born in other countries and only came to Thailand after they finished their education. Mark (Abhisit Vejjajiva) is a Geordie who came back to Thailand after completing his education and became PM, he is ethnically Hakka Chinese. Korn Chatikavanij (Democrat FInance Minister), was also born in the UK in London and was a classmate of Abhisit and Boris Johnson.

Quite a number of friends of various nationalities, who have been here many years, are now Thai citizens with Thai passports, they have to change their names to Thai names. One friend, originally from the UK, is now called Supachai. Some are running major companies, they are entitled to vote and voice their opinions. The parents of many of the Thai Chinese that are running the demonstrations, also renounced their citizenship and became Thai. Also Chinese friends have become Thai but had to change their name from Wong and Lee etc to a Thai sounding name.

Many of the palaces and even Hua Lampong station were not designed by Thais, but by Italians who later were given Thai citizenship and Thai names. Silpakorn University was founded by Italian born art professor Corrado Feroci, who took the Thai name Silpa Bhirasri when he became a Thai citizen. It is the leading Thai university in the fine arts and archaeology.

• Like 1