Thaksin 'urges Yingluck to stay' as Prayuth demurs

webfact

yes, amnesty for all, including Thaksin, Suteph, Abhisit That is my position...has been for weeks

Same for me -_-

Sent from my HTC One using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Amnesty for you?

I'll have all the people back on the street!!!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought he'd been convicted in absentia, without a defence being mounted, within a highly politicised legal system, during the tenure of an unelected government that seized power through illegal means. Thanks for clearing that up....

Sounds like someone got the Redshirt Guide to Politics in their Christmas stocking this year!

Sure, because the whole world isn't yellow.

Now I've never said here or in other threads that Thaksin is was 'clean'... I don't think he was. But I doubt that any of the other 'boys in the game' are clean either. Except this court went after Thaksin following on a coup and one has to wonder about the political dynamics involved. Even so, it was a split 5-4 decision, which raises questions about the real strength of the case.

Let's not forget Thaksin's manipulation of and refusal to follow the laws were the main reasons for the coup that ousted him. Same thing is happening today.

And the split decision which allowed him to take power after the assets concealment case.

Thaksin must sometimes regret avoiding paying tax on the Shin share sale to the Singapore .

He and his family plus his homeland have paid the price.

He faces a life in exile while creating turmoil in Thailand.

If the Shin family resigned from Thai politics tomorrow and just enjoyed their wealth the nation could move on

Exactly....if he had paid a few billion in tax or arranged several billion to fund charitable services and made a big hoohaa about it, he may still be around and in control.

Not such a smart business man really.....rich, but not smart

hahaha, somebody lies, has a big fantasie or just helping to spread stupid rumors.. of course, yingluck as a women need a men to tell her allways what she have do doo. a women are not able to make her own decision and therefore needs allways a men to give her advise and so on.i wil tell this m. tacher on her graveyard or a. merkel in germany. and other women in power. i think they will laugh too *_____*

Posted Yesterday, 06:08

POLITICS
Thaksin 'urges Yingluck to stay' as Prayuth demurs

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Caretaker PM Yingluck Shinawatra almost gave in to resignation demands by the anti-government protesters on Sunday - but changed her mind at the last minute as her brother, former premier Thaksin Shinawatra, called to ask her to stay on and push for the February 2 election, sources said.

Full story: http://www.thaivisa....prayuth-demurs/

Edited by benny1616

I personally don't see a whole lot wrong about Yingluck talking to her brother for advice. I'm sure George W Bush sought advice from his dad (not to mention other family members), that Hilary Clinton seeks advice from Bill, that Singapore PM Lee Hsieng Loon seeks advice from Lee Kwan Yew, etc etc etc. I just don't understand why they 'advertise' it like this, as it just feeds the perception that Yingluck is a puppet/mouthpiece for Thaksin [which she very well may be]. Total lack of political savvy. Or is it that PTP supporters find comfort in Thaksin's involvement?

Except for the fact he's a convicted criminal on the run?

I thought he'd been convicted in absentia, without a defence being mounted, within a highly politicised legal system, during the tenure of an unelected government that seized power through illegal means. Thanks for clearing that up....

No defense being mounted? Would that include the bribery box for the judges to swing the decision?

You mean the alleged bribery box, right?

you mean the alleged bribery box for which two lawyers were sentenced to six months jail for 'contempt of court'?

Would it be to much to ask for The Nation to state the source of these articles? Otherwise, I tend to think they are only planted propaganda pieces - similar to that of Surin's letter yesterday.

I find it amuzing to see that the 'like' is from a member with name 'livingthedream'. Maybe he/she was being sarcastic ?

corruption? lets get one thing straight. Every where in thailand, in every household, in every office, in every government building, in every business, and even in every family relationship the custom is to pay to get things done. I've experienced it 1000 times. The evidence is OVERWHELMING that this is true. We are talking about amounts, not about practice. What they are really saying is they want a bigger piece of the action. Their cronies want some money. If you want some of the money then why don't you agree to share like Thaksin did? "Buying votes" is spreading the wealth. The people wouldn't want him in if the yellow shirts treated them better. After all they had their chance. They got voted out for a reason. Anyway, I don't look at the yellow shirts as the class of people that should be complaining. It's not clear that the yellow shirts have made their case at all. If you want to improve on that and try to change your entire culture then great. Everybody is all for that likely. But to tell one party they shouldn't use the same practices that everyone else does is BULLSHIT.

What authority does this man have from a legal standpoint on this situation?

Could this article (if taken from statements directly from her and also possibly from the brawler himself) be an admission of associating with and acting on behalf for the benefit of a known fugitive?

If Thai law does not cover this kind of activity then perhaps it is time Thai law was modernised into the digital era to reflect this type of crime. This goes not only for dialogue between PTP and Thaksin but all other fugitives of the Kingdom - he is not the first and will not be the last unless the law is changed.

He could have suggested he had a spare room in Dubai. So if a PM decides to resign for any reason..ie ill health, They would be liable to be charged and face a Jail term ?? Perhaps this was something Thaksin brought in like his stupid alchol laws re holidays, Elections and trading hours (Supermarkets, 711's etc.}.

Yay stop corruption. So the deal is if Thaksin / Yingluck get removed and yellow rules government no more corruption? No more paying 200 baht to cops and driving away? No more illegal street vendors? No more dodgy copy and government officials? Everyone has to get a real driving licence and not just pay for it?

Or is the whole campaign targeted at the one greedy family, but corruption will continue and just go into different pockets?

In the aftermath of the Shin family, and mega reforms are put in place, there will be no room for devious people as the courts will be functioning independently.

If the PTP are still allowed to be a party and any others then new parties can be formed and elections organized.

BUT this has to happen ONLY when the courts can do their work and bodies set up to deal with corruption from top to street scams.

And what about the corruption inside the courts?

Corruption within the courts is minor when compared to the police and government.

to clear a few things up, first Thaksin was convicted because he signed off allowing his wife to bid for a property that was indirectly owned by the government. He knew he had broken the law (he always considered himself above the law) & thought he could bribe the court to acquit him. He failed, didn't appeal and ran away.

Second, Suthep has made it clear that whatever body is set up to address the enormous corruption problems preventing the country from flourishing, he will not be a participant let alone head it up. He may fail to immediately rid the country of the Shin dynasty but he has made the issue of tackling corruption as a very high priority that even the PTP cannot totally ignore.

Far too many 'shoot the messenger' posters' hatred of Suthep prevents them from actually looking at what Suthep is proposing. A few examples:

* Elected provincial governors

* Elected police chief

* Decentralisation of power - the police for one

The article comes from the Nation so - again - it's shoot the messenger time. Many articles in local and international newspapers quote 'a source who can't be identified' on numerous subjects, so it's not unusual.

Well if corruption truely stops then I guess most of the people on here won't be living in Thailand anymore.

Police will be getting paid enough so they won't need to be corrupt. Serious real fines and charges for everyone. No streets vendors selling cheap food tax free. Meals go up. No cheap dvd's, shirts etc, everyone pays tax. no handouts to cops.

Bar girls pay tax, 5000 baht short time now.

The bar girls may not even be interested to tell old men how sexy they are. Where will all the retirees go?

Could this article (if taken from statements directly from her and also possibly from the brawler himself) be an admission of associating with and acting on behalf for the benefit of a known fugitive?

If Thai law does not cover this kind of activity then perhaps it is time Thai law was modernised into the digital era to reflect this type of crime. This goes not only for dialogue between PTP and Thaksin but all other fugitives of the Kingdom - he is not the first and will not be the last unless the law is changed.

He is the current Thai government. And people think democracy is having an election so a convicted criminal can carry on creaming a country for his own benefit.

Thaksin is reputed to have tripled his multi-billionaire wealth, since his sister has been in office. Of course he wants her to stay! That's creaming plus!

He is the current Thai government. And people think democracy is having an election so a convicted criminal can carry on creaming a country for his own benefit.

Thaksin is reputed to have tripled his multi-billionaire wealth, since his sister has been in office. Of course he wants her to stay! That's creaming plus!

"sigh" stockmarkets and company shares are up three fold since 2006 as well, Taksin dosnt need to fleece Thailand when hes got billions to invest anywhere he pleases anyone with serious money has made bucket loads more since the 08 crash ... go do some research before spouting silliness. im not saying he didnt thieve but he dosnt need to make a few million here and there when hes got the stockmarkets making him billions

Edited by englishoak

"sigh" stockmarkets and company shares are up three fold since 2006 as well, Taksin dosnt need to fleece Thailand when hes got billions to invest anywhere he pleases anyone with serious money has made bucket loads more since the 08 crash ... go do some research before spouting silliness. im not saying he didnt thieve but he dosnt need to make a few million here and there when hes got the stockmarkets making him billions

When you talk about "need" you miss the point. "Need" doesn't come into it. Rich people like Thaksin aren't driven by a "need". It's a "want". A "want" to make more. He is programmed in such a way, that when an opportunity to make money presents itself, no matter the morality involved, he feels obligated to take it. It's the sort of ruthless instinct that made him rich in the first place, and it is not an instinct that i think is easy to turn off.

If this story is factual, then YL is acknowledging that Thaksin is calling the shots. So he would be illegally advising and functioning. However, it's good to see Thaksin in the news, and Skyping in as before. Thailand was peaceful, the baht was much stronger, tourism was booming , trade and commerce was stable when Thaksin was in the news everyday. We can partially thank the press for that for giving Thaksin so much undeserved visibility in multiple stories per day.

The article also states that she "called" the general. This one is hard to believe, but you never know in Thailand. Even more hard to believe is that they left the conversation with him cautioning that if anything "untoward" happens that it's her responsibility. No where in the story does the general say - don't worry PM we are here to serve you as PM and Defense Secretary. We will do our duty to control lawbreakers.

In an interview published in early 2006, Prem explained his vision of a distinctive Thai-style democracy...... "In horse racing they have the stable and the owner of the stable owns the horse. The jockey comes and rides the horse during the race, but the jockey does not own the horse. It's very easy [to comprehend]

"sigh" only problem with that theory is Thaksins wealth dropped from 2006 til he sister gained government in 2011, then it doubled to $600 million the first year of her administration then tripled to $1.7 billion the second. Its time you did some research instead of just parroting the red spin, the reality he lost millions on the stock market and made billions in the rice market.

Edited by waza

It's not a LS yet but it's getting there.. It seems to me that the 'establishment' here is again going for a judicial coup.. 308 MPs (mostly phuathai) are being charged with 'corruption' by this countries 'anti-graft' body; the NACC for the 'wrongdoing' of voting to an amendment to the constitution that would have made the upper-house fully elected instead of half-elected.

When the Constitution Court strikes down an amendment as unconstitutional that's one thing, it's completely reasonable for them to do that..

but then to turn around and accuse MPs of 'corruption' because they voted for an amendment that would have simply made the House more democratic is so absurd my hair has caught on fire.. In what country ar MPs sacked and barred from politics for simply 'voting' If these MPs are sacked over this non-sense then it will be an international laughing stock, in any democracy you can amend the charter if you get 2/3s of the vote or more. ..and it will enrage the UDD and we will have another round of massive protests and violence.

I find it very difficult to believe that the rest of the world would accept Yingluck being held accountable if "something happens". What kind of rubbish is this? Thailand would become (even more of) an international laughing stock in the event that an elected PM is held responsible for the actions of anti-democratic street thugs. That would lead to sanctions, trade embargoes, investors fleeing the country, ASEAN intervention. It's complete rubbish. Classics case of blaming the victim.

Thailand is not an international laughing stock. That is your own assertion. It does nothing but make you a laughing stock. Frankly I do not believe that I am well qualified to say what is best for this country but your projection of results if the PM steps down is absurd, whimsical. Dismiss people who honestly believe that they are demonstrating for the better as "anti-democratic street thugs" and you are spouting generic authoritarian rhetoric. You impress me as someone who is living comfortably and that is all that matters- Divining right and wrong is not your concern. You are willing to spin any convenient condemnation of something that might rock your cage. If a person seeking direction were to read your capricious blather and believe that you are a typical supporter of the current government they would jump in the other camp bien pronto.

"sigh" only problem with that theory is Thaksins wealth dropped from 2006 til he sister gained government in 2011, then it doubled to $600 million the first year of her administration then tripled to $1.7 billion the second. Its time you did some research instead of just parroting the red spin, the reality he lost millions on the stock market and made billions in the rice market.

"sigh": so you have a theory. Unless you can back it up with links, documents and facts that's all it is. You need something with a little more substance than your theory I'm afraid. People with large amounts of money and many assets have these sorts rises and falls all over the world all the time.

In the aftermath of the Shin family, and mega reforms are put in place, there will be no room for devious people as the courts will be functioning independently.

If the PTP are still allowed to be a party and any others then new parties can be formed and elections organized.

BUT this has to happen ONLY when the courts can do their work and bodies set up to deal with corruption from top to street scams.

And what about the corruption inside the courts?

Corruption within the courts is minor when compared to the police and government.

to clear a few things up, first Thaksin was convicted because he signed off allowing his wife to bid for a property that was indirectly owned by the government. He knew he had broken the law (he always considered himself above the law) & thought he could bribe the court to acquit him. He failed, didn't appeal and ran away.

Second, Suthep has made it clear that whatever body is set up to address the enormous corruption problems preventing the country from flourishing, he will not be a participant let alone head it up. He may fail to immediately rid the country of the Shin dynasty but he has made the issue of tackling corruption as a very high priority that even the PTP cannot totally ignore.

Far too many 'shoot the messenger' posters' hatred of Suthep prevents them from actually looking at what Suthep is proposing. A few examples:

* Elected provincial governors

* Elected police chief

* Decentralisation of power - the police for one

The article comes from the Nation so - again - it's shoot the messenger time. Many articles in local and international newspapers quote 'a source who can't be identified' on numerous subjects, so it's not unusual.

Well if corruption truely stops then I guess most of the people on here won't be living in Thailand anymore.

Police will be getting paid enough so they won't need to be corrupt. Serious real fines and charges for everyone. No streets vendors selling cheap food tax free. Meals go up. No cheap dvd's, shirts etc, everyone pays tax. no handouts to cops.

Bar girls pay tax, 5000 baht short time now.

The bar girls may not even be interested to tell old men how sexy they are. Where will all the retirees go?

I will still be living here.

If you paid the police for their work, helping the Thai public, transparent as per job description, you think they would not be corrupt still ??

All fines to be sent to BKK.

food pay for what you get.

Good -"no cheap DVDs"

cheap shirts are expensive. short life, look bad,

I pay tax on all I buy and on my bills.

bar girls--you pay for what you get, if it's your scene.

Yes they should pay tax--unless ??/ prostitution is illegal here.

I told you I am staying.

Let me remind you that 95% of boy/girl bars in Thailand are frequented by THAI/Asian clients.

Quite - the idea that he's filtering money out of Thailand is central to the protests but anyone with a modicum of sense is more than a little skeptical of this grand and slightly absurd conspiracy theory. I'm waiting for someone to claim TS shot JFK too.

It's more likely he has power needs but the repeatedly claimed "Man in Dubai" is running things in Thailand via his sister is equally idiotic I'm afraid.

Quite - the idea that he's filtering money out of Thailand is central to the protests but anyone with a modicum of sense is more than a little skeptical of this grand and slightly absurd conspiracy theory. I'm waiting for someone to claim TS shot JFK too.

It's more likely he has power needs but the repeatedly claimed "Man in Dubai" is running things in Thailand via his sister is equally idiotic I'm afraid.

I take it you believe Thaksin plays no part in PTP policy, or in fact any government decisions.??? Although from a quote of his, "I'm finished with politics" you could be right !!!! oh please.coffee1.gif

• Like 1

The money came from Thailand:

What's the spin now?

Thaksin has always made his money by either getting "preferential" treatment from friends and cronies in government or by being in government himself (in person or by proxy).

Him being a shrew, successful businessman on his own merits is a myth with no support in facts, his fortune is by and large rooted in corruption and abuse of authority.

• Like 1

"sigh": so you have a theory. Unless you can back it up with links, documents and facts that's all it is. You need something with a little more substance than your theory I'm afraid. People with large amounts of money and many assets have these sorts rises and falls all over the world all the time.

"sigh" The information is out there try doing your own research rather than just closing you eyes and saying, "I don't believe you".

I find it very difficult to believe that the rest of the world would accept Yingluck being held accountable if "something happens". What kind of rubbish is this? Thailand would become (even more of) an international laughing stock in the event that an elected PM is held responsible for the actions of anti-democratic street thugs. That would lead to sanctions, trade embargoes, investors fleeing the country, ASEAN intervention. It's complete rubbish. Classics case of blaming the victim.

What about the red shirts trying to hold Abhisit for murder for the red shirt riots 4 years ago ?

and they actually went ahead and pressed charges!!

so,, nothing is impossible... and to tell the truth,, most people in the outside world just believe the opinion of CNN or BBC... who rarely give the full story.

they all just keep saying how the election is the way forward,, but completely ignore that so many provinces are 'bought'. (which in itself is illegal).

so,, really,, no one on the outside will ever laugh at any story. coz they only hear the BBC or CNN spin on it.

as for us living here, we get to hear it all.. so, really its just us that end up laughing... though eventually nothing much really ever happens.

sooner or later the yellows or reds win,, and then a few years later it swaps back round again,, and then swaps again,, and then swaps again.

if you stand back and look at a few decades of it,, then you can see some sort of democracy happening,, where one party has their chance,, and then the other party has their chance!!!

a bizzare democracy.

then again,, how democratic are our governments back home?

Florida vote cheating by Bush? lies from almost EVERY election winner,, (almost without fail)

the only difference is that western countries are better at covering it up!!!

general public in western countries accept that governments get MASSIVE donations for their campaigns by BIG BUSINESS and later the government gives lip-service to these Big Companies (Tax breaks, Lax laws), as a 'thank you' for their big donations. and this is actually COMPLETELY ILLEGAL !!!! but yet we just sit back and accept it.

to tell the truth,, thai people are really quite brave, compared to use UK and US citizens!! we dont have the balls to otherthrow a crappy government!

for this, the thais should be respected.

coz there is no way we have real democracy back home!!

we just have a nation of whimps that take it up the butt !

"sigh" The information is out there try doing your own research rather than just closing you eyes and saying, "I don't believe you".

So that confirms you simply made it up. Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand