Bangkok siege a boon for Skytrain

webfact

Bangkok siege a boon for Skytrain
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- The Skytrain should draw a record number of passengers during the Bangkok Shutdown, while shareholders welcomed the Bt0.20 dividend declared by BTS Group Holdings Plc on Friday, brokerages said yesterday.

Keree Kanchanapas, chairman and president of BTSC, said payment of the second interim dividend for the July-September quarter totalling up to Bt2.38 billion was scheduled for February 6.

Maybank Kim Eng Securities (Thailand) Plc said the Skytrain should enjoy a surge in traffic during the blockade of eight major intersections and roads by anti-government protesters, as people are forced to rely more on mass transit to get around the city.

The jump in ticket sales would contribute towards the BTS Rail Mass Transit Growth Infrastructure Fund as well as the company's profit, as BTSC has a 33.3-per-cent stake in the fund.

KGI Securities projects riders on the Skytrain soaring from the current 650,000 per day to 780,000 and on the subway from 200,000 to 300,000 if the demonstration by the whistleblowers is drawn out. The rise in riders would also benefit VGI's Skytrain advertising business.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-01-14

Skytrain sucks. I sit in traffic on a bus over using skytrain all the time. Even Saturday coming home from the airport with my heavy bags, I got off the airport bus, convinced myself not to be a pain in my own ass and just take the damn thing bc BTS would never notice if I take it or not, but then got upstairs and saw the nonsense with the lines etc (even though outside was DEAD QUIET), went back downstairs and took bus #29 and used the pedestrian bridge when I got off. A lot of extra sweat, but I hate giving my money to that assinine company.

Sounding like the comments you see from the tourist authorities. One moment figures are trending up then in the next report a day later it's bad times ahead as numbers collapse. Do all these executives go to the same business and media relations school? I think so.

• Like 2

Sounding like the comments you see from the tourist authorities. One moment figures are trending up then in the next report a day later it's bad times ahead as numbers collapse. Do all these executives go to the same business and media relations school? I think so.

Exactly! Because they haven't really got a clue, Thais thrash around following the next greater fool.

• Like 1

Skytrain sucks. I sit in traffic on a bus over using skytrain all the time. Even Saturday coming home from the airport with my heavy bags, I got off the airport bus, convinced myself not to be a pain in my own ass and just take the dam_n thing bc BTS would never notice if I take it or not, but then got upstairs and saw the nonsense with the lines etc (even though outside was DEAD QUIET), went back downstairs and took bus #29 and used the pedestrian bridge when I got off. A lot of extra sweat, but I hate giving my money to that assinine company.

How do you hate a transit system, do you object the train being elevated off the ground, instead of being under ground? Is it the color of the trains? Is it cos of the efficency and speed?

U prefer the bus, so its prolly cos sky train does not pollute the air.

Skytrain sucks. I sit in traffic on a bus over using skytrain all the time. Even Saturday coming home from the airport with my heavy bags, I got off the airport bus, convinced myself not to be a pain in my own ass and just take the dam_n thing bc BTS would never notice if I take it or not, but then got upstairs and saw the nonsense with the lines etc (even though outside was DEAD QUIET), went back downstairs and took bus #29 and used the pedestrian bridge when I got off. A lot of extra sweat, but I hate giving my money to that assinine company.

How do you hate a transit system, do you object the train being elevated off the ground, instead of being under ground? Is it the color of the trains? Is it cos of the efficency and speed?

Its a discussion for a different thread. Lots of people have complaints about BTS. Its been not great from the get go and done little to improve over the years.

Its a discussion for a different thread. Lots of people have complaints about BTS. Its been not great from the get go and done little to improve over the years.

Can you remember BKK before the skytrain and can you imagine it now without it?

• Like 2

I can, and the BTS/MRT is a Godsend. They shave hours off a bus trip and take a lot of the burden off the buses so they are not so crowded. Really, a no-brainer.

No idea where you are from, but for many of us, especially the ones from a place with poor public transportation, we LOVE the sky train. I think it is the best thing to ever happen to Bangkok. I use it every day I am in Bangkok, and am very grateful for it. It is clean, inexpensive, always works, and is delightful to use. I tend to avoid it at rush hour, but other than not, no idea what you are talking about, quite frankly.

And the latest I heard is that sky train traffic is down, due to people not going out as much.

No idea where you are from, but for many of us, especially the ones from a place with poor public transportation, we LOVE the sky train. I think it is the best thing to ever happen to Bangkok. I use it every day I am in Bangkok, and am very grateful for it. It is clean, inexpensive, always works, and is delightful to use. I tend to avoid it at rush hour, but other than not, no idea what you are talking about, quite frankly.

And the latest I heard is that sky train traffic is down, due to people not going out as much.

taony is trying to be economical. that is what she means

I can, and the BTS/MRT is a Godsend. They shave hours off a bus trip and take a lot of the burden off the buses so they are not so crowded. Really, a no-brainer.

If it is such a no-brainer, then can we look forward to the powers-that-be actually getting on with the other lines that have been mired in incompetence for so many years, especially as they can see that a full skytrain can actually make money? Or is that just too much to ask?

The BTS is asinine because there were queues? How do you come to that conclusion? The asinine thing is cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Yes, amazing isn't it, how we can have two posts on the very same day telling totally opposite stories....!?

It's not amazing at all, if you actually read the two reports you'll see that they are not telling totally opposite stories. One is a statement of was is happening right now, the other is a view of what could happen in the future.

One of the reports quotes a representative of BTS Holdings stating the the number of passengers was less than usual.

The other is the opinion of a brokerage that there should be an increase in the number of passengers due to the disruption of other means of transport and that it projects that passenger numbers will rise if the demonstration is drawn out.

Edited by MMarlow

Oh please don't put in personal vendettas and use them as a gauge for the effectiveness of a transport system. You hate the company that runs the sky train you're willing to follow your own principles in taking a longer sweatier ride on a bus vs the bts all because you dislike the company that runs the skytrain that doesn't make the BTS suck at all.

jeez , everyone take a chill pill. I don't like it , so I don't ride it unless I have to. I am not asking anyone of you to not ride it. I am not asking any of you to not like it. You all get yourselves worked up over everything like this? Its not healthy.

I don't like it and there are plenty of others who don't either. There was another thread a few weeks ago which people also had the same and more complaints as I do. I have my opinion, you can have yours.