First timer questens?

csell

Hi.

I am a 63 years old single man from Denmark that maked early retirement and

now have the possibility to go to sunny Thailand from marts 1st and up to 88 days.

I have a few questens, hope somebody can help?

I start looking at the Hua Hin area, mainly because it was easy to find information on the internet.

But how is the weather in May. Is it to rainy or do you suggest that I stay to the end of the month?

Or will there be better places to stay in Thailand?

On the internet I found a couple of Condos close to Suan Son Beach for rent.

But how to go from there and to the Hua Hin Center?

In this link I read that there is both a bus from Hua Hin to Fir Park every 20 minutes

and a train service by train 251 Thonburi – Langsuan.

But how late is the last bus and how often is the train?

Or do you think is it easier to find other local transport?

Two of the Condos in the Suan Son Beach area has Internet.

I will use internet every day to stream Radio, normal browsing, email and to download some files with Danish TV News.

How fast and stable can I expect the internet to be in the Suan Son Beach area?

Or will I only be able to download certain times of the day?

And the last questen. Is there any supermarkets with western food in the Suan Son Beach area, or do I have to go to Hua Hin for shopping?

Regards Carsten.

May is the hottest month of the year (but April is almost the same) and May is the third wettest month behind October and November. However the rainfall in May generally comes in the form of quick and heavy passing downpours mainly in the mid afternoon, not long days full of rain all the time as can happen in the fall.

As far as better places to stay in Thailand, that depends on you and your expectations of activities and socialization.

A question though; why Suan Son beach? That's ok if you are a loner or a golfer (nice military golf course there), otherwise I would think pretty boring most of the time. It's mainly visited during the day by Thais. I would think dead quiet after the sun goes down. If you want to stay there because you like kilometers of empty beach then it's ok but transport to and from Hua Hin could get expensive if you go often and I don't think there is any grocery store nearby. The nearest would be a couple of 7/11s and a small(ish) Tesco market across from a good fresh market in the south end of Hua Hin between 4 to 5 kilometers north of Suan Son Beach.

• Like 1

May is the hottest month of the year (but April is almost the same) and May is the third wettest month behind October and November. However the rainfall in May generally comes in the form of quick and heavy passing downpours mainly in the mid afternoon, not long days full of rain all the time as can happen in the fall.

As far as better places to stay in Thailand, that depends on you and your expectations of activities and socialization.

A question though; why Suan Son beach? That's ok if you are a loner or a golfer (nice military golf course there), otherwise I would think pretty boring most of the time. It's mainly visited during the day by Thais. I would think dead quiet after the sun goes down. If you want to stay there because you like kilometers of empty beach then it's ok but transport to and from Hua Hin could get expensive if you go often and I don't think there is any grocery store nearby. The nearest would be a couple of 7/11s and a small(ish) Tesco market across from a good fresh market in the south end of Hua Hin between 4 to 5 kilometers north of Suan Son Beach.

I tend yo agree.

If I was you I would be finding somewhere close in Hua Hin for the first couple of weeks until you get an understanding of the place and where everything is located.

There are many cheap guest houses in Hua Hin and if you want some suggestions just message me.

You should also take a close look at Cha am beach which is about 30 minutes drive north of Hua Hin.

I stayed there recently for a few days and there seems to be quite a few Scandinavian and Danish retirees living and holidaying in that area.

Its a bit quieter than Hua Hin and also cheaper.

But it has a big oc night life and enough amenities to be suitable for a long term stay and you can always go to Hua Hin now and then if you want as is only a short distance away.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

I wouldn't make any decision from outside of Thailand. Take your time to travel around Thailand to find the places you really like best. Just base yourself somewhere comfortable on a month to month basis and make excursions.

Congratulations on reaching early retirement, I envy you and the freedom of choice you now have. Enjoy!

Edited by mrdome

I tend yo agree.

If I was you I would be finding somewhere close in Hua Hin for the first couple of weeks until you get an understanding of the place and where everything is located.

There are many cheap guest houses in Hua Hin and if you want some suggestions just message me.

You should also take a close look at Cha am beach which is about 30 minutes drive north of Hua Hin.

I stayed there recently for a few days and there seems to be quite a few Scandinavian and Danish retirees living and holidaying in that area.

But it has a big oc night life and enough amenities to be suitable for a long term stay and you can always go to Hua Hin now and then if you want as is only a short distance away.

I agree totally with Cha Am for a better choice than Hua Hin...I live in Chiang Rai. In December 2011 I spend a month there renting a studio on a CondoHotel with pool and beach front for 6000 thb/month, and was close to rent for the year a 3 bedrooms furnished townhouse 1/2 block from the beach for just 5000thb/month. Probably 3 times cheaper of anything similar in Hua Hin. Very nice beach town just 20 minutes from Hua Hin and 2 hours from Bangkok with very easy and cheap transportation, busy only on weekends and very calm during the week. Great night and fish market, nice small expat community, and better beach than Hua Hin. My advise..Do no commit with any rental from the Internet. Reserve a room for few days at the small Cha Am Seaside Hotel owned by Peter, a very nice old German guy, and get advise with him. Ask his Thai wife to take you to see the CondoHotel just few blocks away and go from there.....Have fun! Welcome to Thailand!

I tend yo agree.

I agree totally with Cha Am for a better choice than Hua Hin...I live in Chiang Rai. In December 2012 I spend a month there renting a studio on a CondoHotel with pool and beach front for 6000 thb/month, and was close to rent for the year a 3 bedrooms furnished townhouse 1/2 block from the beach for just 5000thb/month. Probably 3 times cheaper of anything similar in Hua Hin. Very nice beach town just 20 minutes from Hua Hin and 2 hours from Bangkok with very easy and cheap transportation, busy only on weekends and very calm during the week. Great night and fish market, nice small expat community, and better beach than Hua Hin....and tthe weather was just fantastic! My advise..Do no commit with any rental from the Internet. Reserve a room for few days at the small Cha Am Seaside Hotel owned by Peter, a very nice old German guy, and get advise with him. Ask his Thai wife to take you to see the CondoHotel just few blocks away and go from there.....Have fun! Welcome to Thailand!

Dear Carsten,

Welcome to TH in advance.

Hope you will get many wonderful and unforgettable experiences here.

Hua Hin is OK.

Chonburi and Rayong are not OK.

Don't go to Pattaya.

The weather is luck, sometimes this was sometimes those way. May is vet and hot for EU people.

My high recommended advise: do go first to a comfortable hotel, then look around the mentioned places, then do choose.

I'm sure you will be caught here by TH culture, food, life-style, ladies, etc ... so you do take a good solution for live.

Don't believe too much (not at all biggrin.png ) for TH ladies and if some local people offer you good business you ask here your mates about it.

Best Regards,

loles

I'm sitting on the beach in Hua Hin as I write this and it's freezing. Come May it will be lovely and hot.

Looks like everyone has answered your questions. I don't eat western food anymore too unhealthy and boring.

Beware of the women. Enjoy them but don't let them be in control until you completely understand the culture and ones background.

All the best of luck with your lucky new endeavour. Happy retirement.

Tom

Dear Carsten,

Welcome to TH in advance.

Hope you will get many wonderful and unforgettable experiences here.

Hua Hin is OK.

Chonburi and Rayong are not OK.

Don't go to Pattaya.

The weather is luck, sometimes this was sometimes those way. May is vet and hot for EU people.

My high recommended advise: do go first to a comfortable hotel, then look around the mentioned places, then do choose.

I'm sure you will be caught here by TH culture, food, life-style, ladies, etc ... so you do take a good solution for live.

Don't believe too much (not at all biggrin.png ) for TH ladies and if some local people offer you good business you ask here your mates about it.

Best Regards,

loles

There are some lovely parts of Rayong. Are you mad???

But yes....don't bother with Pattaya.

Hello Carsten,

Welcome to ThaiVisa Forum.

I’m from Denmark also, but do not stay in Hua Hin – have been there – so I cannot answer specific local questions, but a few in general.

»I start looking at the Hua Hin area, mainly because it was easy to find information on the internet. But how is the weather in May. Is it to rainy or do you suggest that I stay to the end of the month?«

April to June is the hottest months and normally not much rain in Southern Thailand apart from a few showers. March can be quite hot also.

»...will there be better places to stay in Thailand?«

Yes and no – it really depends of what you are looking for. Some people love Hua Hin, others had, had it. Being a first timer some three month in Land of Smiles, and on early retirement with perhaps the intention of coming back every year or even settle here, I would suggest you take “a look around” – meaning, try Hua Hin for a week or two and visit some of the potential other places, and when you have been at some, then spent the last month or two at your preferred place to test how it works for a longer period.

If you are looking for both beach and a bit cosy (Danish: hyggelig) area, there may be many options both around the Hun Hin area and further South, either on mainland or some of the islands like Phuket and Samui. When I came to Thailand I did that before I decided where to settle, and I am very happy I did visit Hua Hin, Phuket, Pattaya, Chiang Mai and more places several times. You can find a lot of information and preparation on the Internet, but often it is much better just to go there, take a guesthouse room or rent a bungalow a couple of days and look around for the best place to spend a week or two. Most places you will be able to pop into other “long-time” foreigners, who gladly will tell you about the area, transport, shopping, places to rent or stay etc.

»How fast and stable can I expect the internet to be in the Suan Son Beach area?«

In general the problem is the speed from South East Asia to Denmark, where Danish Radio has their server. Sometimes the connection may be slow, however for radio streaming normally Okay, but for TV-streaming it can be quite difficult at times.

I wish you good luck. If you have any questions please ask, I am sure the TVForum-members will be happy to help you.

Have also a look at Bangsaphan, 100km. north of Chumphon, so south of Hua Hin. I am also 63, and havenspend an agreeable WINTER here the past 4 years. I would not go to Thailand in May, it is either to hot or to wet.

The wintermonths are very agreable here, I start end of november and return end march myself.

House rental cost me about 9 per day, incl wifi, airco, hot shower, satelite tv etc. and 100 m. from the very quit beach.

Hi.

First thanks for all your answers. It is what I need to go futher.

Several of you recomMend to stay at a Guesthouse in the beginning. I think you have convinced me.

But then I will like to know if a forein tourist only staying for 88 days, can have a Thai Bank Account?

May be you can recomend a Bank, as I intend to bring 2 credit cards, travelers checks and some cash with me and
will then bring most of the cash to the bank. I expect it to be safer than a safe in a Guest House.

Years ago I used traveler checks as a backup. Are they still current in Thailand and are American Express or Thomas Cook best?

Internet browsing and email is very importent to me. I don't know how good and stable the internet is in the
different Guesthouses, and will then consider a mobile Internet SIM Card for my Unlocked 3G Dongle as a backup.
What packages are avaiable, from which compagnies. And can you recommend one?

I began also to look at Cha Am as suggested, but only found a few Guest houses and a few Condos with WiFi on the internet.
I am sure thre must be more?

But again, where are the restaurants and supermarkets with western food in Cha Am located?

Regards Carsten.

• Like 1

Carsten,

Concerning money and cards:

Best you can do is to bring Visa/Dankort and Mastercard, they can be used in all ATM-machines (Danish: Pengeautomat), which are outside almost every Seven-eleven or like 24-hour store and lots of other places, including banks. Always cash the 10.000 baht maximum as there are fixed fees in both ends, Thailand and your Danish bank, so by cashing less you will just pay a higher fee. Visa gives you a slightly better exchange rate than Mastercard. Mind you there are limits on your cards of how much you can cash within 24-hours and within 30 days – check with your bank or Internet, for example Mastercard Gold has a higher limit than Visa.

Bringing cash then choose Danish kroner, so you don’t have to change through two currencies – i.e. DKK to EUR or USD, and EUR or USD to THB – you can change DKK in all banks and exchange bureaus. Don’t buy Thai bath from home, the exchange rate is slightly better in Thailand. You do not need to bring too much cash, unless you have a specific reason for it. You may not need traveller’s cheques, a bit old-fashioned today and may cost you more.

Some banks will not allow you to open an account as tourist without a more permanent address in Thailand approved by a Letter from Thai Immigration. Bangkok Bank or Kasikorn Bank is the best options for an account opened with a passport only. Ask for an ATM Card – they will give you a cash card only, no credit – which you can use in all ATM machines. Thai banks works little different from “home”, so if you open an account in a Hun Hin branch, you “belong” in that area/province, and when cashing in another province you may be charged a fixed fee of 20 baht (some 3 to 4 kroner) even when using “your own bank”.

If you have Internet banking from home, for example NetBank, and can do foreign transfer – which you can have your Danish bank to open for you for a minor fee – you can transfer directly into a Thai bank account. Transfer time is around four bank days for normal transfer. With Nordea NetBank for example you can transfer unlimited amounts for a fixed fee of 40 Danish kroner. Choose only to pay the Danish fee, and let the Thai bank charge the foreign fee, as you otherwise may pay double fees, as the Thai bank will charge a fee anyway, even you have paid the foreign fee from home. Using a Thai bank account with ATM card and Internet bank transfer is the cheapest way to cash your financial needs in Thailand. Don’t expect guesthouses, smaller restaurants and shops to accept plastic cards, however there is often an ATM within close walking distance, you will always need cash money in your pocket in Thailand.

Internet:

Most guesthouses today offers free wifi and in many shopping malls and at cafés you can find free wifi as well. For a laptop you can buy an USB-stick working both GSM and 3G (where available), for example from the companies DTAC (TeleNord) or AIS (One-two-call). The stick has build in auto install software for modem connection and works fine. I think the price is still around 2,000 baht including the first three or six month use.

There may be other or better solutions, which I’m sure some other forum members may be able to inform you about.

If you bring an unlocked mobile phone or dongle you can buy SIM card for prepaid calls, there are cards available for combined phone and Internet, using the mobile or dongle as modem connection for your laptop. You can also use a Thai SIM card in a tablet. Use a Thai SIM/number for phone rather than roaming your Danish number. International calls on Thai SIM are fairly cheap; around 10 baht/minute for Denmark; some services offers the calls for less, for example using 008 in front of an number (00845…) with One-two-call.

In general about Western Food:

Many – if not most – restaurant have some Western dishes on the menu (may not always be exactly the same as you are used to at home, you are in Thailand). Seven-eleven, Family Mart, Tesco Express and the like 24-hours stores, which you find almost everywhere, have a small selection of Western food; you can for example buy farm products (milk, yoghurt, butter, cheese), bread, ham, salami etc. – especially in the tourist areas.

If you are scared of spicy Thai food in restaurants, don’t be: many dishes are not spicy at all and a real gourmet experience, even in small local almost street kitchen restaurants.

You can search and find a lot of information on the Internet, but the real good bargains, local shops and small restaurants with delicious food are not “on-line” – you may only find them being there.

Wish you good luck, Per.

Edited by khunPer
  • Like 1

Hi.

But then I will like to know if a forein tourist only staying for 88 days, can have a Thai Bank Account?

Regards Carsten.

Carsten, Some banks will open a bank account without a work permit. I opened one at Kasikorn Bank in Bangkok on a 30 day visa. You will just have to ask around when you get there to find out which bank is easiest in Hua Hin. There is a link on Thai Visa about this subject, just search.

Read a lot and get information, but you must first stay in Hua Hin for a week or so at a guest house. You will meet plenty of helpful expats and you will be able to see things for yourself.

Most guest houses have free WiFi and the speed is normally pretty good.

Read a lot but don't worry too much. You will find things easy once you get here. There are a lot of Europeans staying in Hua Hin.

Hua Hin is a small place and you won't need transport in town.

You will be back after 88 days. :)

Good luck.

Hhu

I'm sitting on the beach in Hua Hin as I write this and it's freezing. Come May it will be lovely and hot.

Looks like everyone has answered your questions. I don't eat western food anymore too unhealthy and boring.

Beware of the women. Enjoy them but don't let them be in control until you completely understand the culture and ones background.

All the best of luck with your lucky new endeavour. Happy retirement.

Tom

Don't ever let women control YOUR money.Cha am is the go.

Hej Carsten

Jeg er en dansk pige der har boet i Hua Hin, siden december 2012, jeg bor tæt ved centrum, ikke længere end jeg kan gå ned i byen.

Jeg på tænker at flytte tilbage til Danmark, jeg lejer et hus med 3 værelser, 2 soveværelser, samt køkken/stue ud i et. Det giver jeg 8500 bath for om måneden, plus el og vand.

Vand er ca 50 bath, og el svinger alt efter forbrug, i øjeblikket er det ikke så varmt(syntes jeg) så aircondision bliver slet ikke brugt. Jeg bruger strøm til køleskab med fryser, internet, og tv, uden brug af air, pris pr mdr ca 500 bath, da jeg havde min søster på besøg, var den meget i brug, der er 3 af slagsen, der var den højeste pris, 2300 bath på en måned.

Jeg har før boet i condo, til 25000 pr mdr. Hvilket jeg syntes er alt for meget, og gæstehus syntes jeg også er lidt for upersonligt, hvis man godt kan lide privatliv. Dertil skal du så lægge el og tv.

Jeg har true internet, pris pr mdr. 750 bath. Så har jeg en tvpakke fra CTH den har jeg bestilt for et år, ca 1000 pr mdr. Den har jeg valgt da jeg godt kan lide at se fodbold og ikke går så meget i byen kun hvis jeg har besøg, fra min søn som bor her i landet, eller venner og familie, som kommer med regelmæssige mellemrum.

Der er flere steder du kan få dansk mad, hvis du selv vil lave mad, kan jeg anbefale Villa market, de er dog lidt dyre med deres varer. Så er der et supermarket midt i byen, på gaden hvor de grønne busser stopper, ca 100 m efter skiftepladsen, retning væk fra natmarkedet. Der er de bedre med priserne.

Dansk mad hvis du ikke gider selv og har adgang til et kort, så bor jeg på gaden der hedder soi 45/1 og på gaden der hedder soi 55, vil du fra hovedvejen kunne se et dansk flag i det fjerne, der ligger en resurant/gæstehus der hedder jailhouse ejeren hedder kurt, de laver udemærket dansk mad. Det er også muligt at få leveret varer hjem til via butler, et internet firma med blandt andet en dansk bager.

Jeg kan gå ned til Jailhouse på ca 15 minutter, hvis jeg går langsomt.

Transport herfra, da tager jeg den grønne bus, grisebil, den kører ca hvert 10 minut, dog kan den være fyldt det kommer an på tidspunktet på dagen, den går fra lufthavnen, til abebjerget, der hvor du kigger på condo nu. Den stopper midt i centrum og hvis man skal længere den f.eks. Ud til condoen, hopper man over i den anden, prisen fra kl 6 morgen til 19 aften er 10 bath, og skal man hele vejen så 20 bath. Fra kl. 19-21 er prisen 15 bath pr tur.

Trafikken er nogengange voldsom, og kaotisk, hvis man vil leje en lille motorcykel koster det ca 3000 pr mdr. Husk styrthjelm, og meget gerne et kørekort til en sådan en, ellers koster det 400 bath i bøde, husk at få en kvittering, den gælder resten af dagen, de kan kun udstede en bøde pr person pr. Dag.

Ellers har jeg en tuk tuk jeg bruger jævnligt, han taler godt engelsk, og tager ikke overpris, det gør de andre i øjeblikket grundet mange turister i byen.

Har du flere spørgsmål, så skriv

Is it ok to write here in danish ?

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Edited by Cat45

Hej Carsten Jeg er en dansk pige der har boet i Hua Hin, siden december 2012, jeg bor tæt ved centrum, ikke længere end jeg kan gå ned i byen. Jeg på tænker at flytte tilbage til Danmark, jeg lejer et hus med 3 værelser, 2 soveværelser, samt køkken/stue ud i et. Det giver jeg 8500 bath for om måneden, plus el og vand. Vand er ca 50 bath, og el svinger alt efter forbrug, i øjeblikket er det ikke så varmt(syntes jeg) så aircondision bliver slet ikke brugt. Jeg bruger strøm til køleskab med fryser, internet, og tv, uden brug af air, pris pr mdr ca 500 bath, da jeg havde min søster på besøg, var den meget i brug, der er 3 af slagsen, der var den højeste pris, 2300 bath på en måned. Jeg har før boet i condo, til 25000 pr mdr. Hvilket jeg syntes er alt for meget, og gæstehus syntes jeg også er lidt for upersonligt, hvis man godt kan lide privatliv. Dertil skal du så lægge el og tv. Jeg har true internet, pris pr mdr. 750 bath. Så har jeg en tvpakke fra CTH den har jeg bestilt for et år, ca 1000 pr mdr. Den har jeg valgt da jeg godt kan lide at se fodbold og ikke går så meget i byen kun hvis jeg har besøg, fra min søn som bor her i landet, eller venner og familie, som kommer med regelmæssige mellemrum. Der er flere steder du kan få dansk mad, hvis du selv vil lave mad, kan jeg anbefale Villa market, de er dog lidt dyre med deres varer. Så er der et supermarket midt i byen, på gaden hvor de grønne busser stopper, ca 100 m efter skiftepladsen, retning væk fra natmarkedet. Der er de bedre med priserne. Dansk mad hvis du ikke gider selv og har adgang til et kort, så bor jeg på gaden der hedder soi 45/1 og på gaden der hedder soi 55, vil du fra hovedvejen kunne se et dansk flag i det fjerne, der ligger en resurant/gæstehus der hedder jailhouse ejeren hedder kurt, de laver udemærket dansk mad. Det er også muligt at få leveret varer hjem til via butler, et internet firma med blandt andet en dansk bager. Jeg kan gå ned til Jailhouse på ca 15 minutter, hvis jeg går langsomt. Transport herfra, da tager jeg den grønne bus, grisebil, den kører ca hvert 10 minut, dog kan den være fyldt det kommer an på tidspunktet på dagen, den går fra lufthavnen, til abebjerget, der hvor du kigger på condo nu. Den stopper midt i centrum og hvis man skal længere den f.eks. Ud til condoen, hopper man over i den anden, prisen fra kl 6 morgen til 19 aften er 10 bath, og skal man hele vejen så 20 bath. Fra kl. 19-21 er prisen 15 bath pr tur. Trafikken er nogengange voldsom, og kaotisk, hvis man vil leje en lille motorcykel koster det ca 3000 pr mdr. Husk styrthjelm, og meget gerne et kørekort til en sådan en, ellers koster det 400 bath i bøde, husk at få en kvittering, den gælder resten af dagen, de kan kun udstede en bøde pr person pr. Dag. Ellers har jeg en tuk tuk jeg bruger jævnligt, han taler godt engelsk, og tager ikke overpris, det gør de andre i øjeblikket grundet mange turister i byen. Har du flere spørgsmål, så skriv Is it ok to write here in danish ? Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Ye, Ye, something like that biggrin.pngbiggrin.pngbiggrin.png

sorry.gif

Edited by Loles

Hi Cat45,

I believe the rules of this Forum is English language, to avoid the mess of people answering in their native language and character set. facepalm.gif I have some time seen messages from moderators, that they have deleted a post in a foreign language.sad.png

For some of us it may be difficult always to express what we want to say in foreign language – us who are not native English speaking, including me – but you always have the possibility of a PM (=Personal Message) to Carsten, which you can write in Danish. Just click at the envelope icon in the bar at top of the page and select “Compose New”.thumbsup.gif

And for those who cannot understand Cat45’s post, it is just a lot of good advises about living in Hua Hin to Carsten written in Danish.smile.png

Per.

Hi.

I am for the moment looking into all your previus answers. Trying to Google the different places.

But what is the best kind of Visa to get for 88 days?

I expect many will say a Tourist Visa valid for 60 days stay to 25£ and then a 30 day extension for 1900 Bath.

But I am wondering if a Non-Immigrant Visa Category “O-A” (Long Stay) is a easier and cheaper solution for me?

http://thaiembassyuk.org.uk/?q=node/51

The price for a Non-Immigrant O-A (3 Month/ Single Entry) is only 50£

http://thaiembassyuk.org.uk/?q=node/76

But there is one thing that is not clear to me. I will need proof of income and or proof of money deposited in a bank.
If I get the Non-Immigrant Visa O-A at the Thai Embassy in Copenhagen before my trip. Will the proof of my income and
Bank deposits in Denmark be accepted or does it have to be in Thailand?

Also wonder if you bay airtickets or get VISA first. Can it be a problem to travel on a Tourist VISA with 60 stay and
at the same time have a ticket for a return flight on day nummer 88?
The Thai Embassy webpage recomend to get a reservation, get the VISA and then bay the air ticket, but how do you all actualy do it?

CaT45 tell me that she is watching football with her CTH Cable subscription. Thanks Cat45.

I am wondering if there is any free satellite TV channels in English I will be able to receive?

I allready have a very small SAT receiver etc I can bring with me. The only part I will need will be a disc itself.
Is there any shops in Hua Hin where I can bay one?
Just a SAT disc, I can install it myself.

Regards Carsten.

Best visa for you from Denmark is a non-mmigrant-O, which allows you for 90 days stay in Thailand. 50 years and more plus enough savings/money in bank (Danish bank) to take care of your expenses during the trip, makes you eligible. You can ask for a multiple entry valid for one year, if you expect to come back within 12 month (costs a little more than single entry). You can obtain it from “Det Kongelige Thailandske Generalkonsulat” in Hvide Sande, less hassle than the Thai Embassy in Copenhagen, and they have a very kind telephone service (speaks Vestjydsk, a Danish dialect):

You can call and agree what to send together with your passport, the form is available on-line, and how to pay (before it was by cheque, may have changed, will be written at the Home Page). Enclose an addressed return envelope with stamps (Danish: frankeret svarkuvert). Normally it takes two or three days, and then you have your passport back.

In general about TV:

Sure you can buy satellite discs locally and have it installed. But if you rent “something” with TV, there may be either cable or satellite, both having some 40 to 60 channels or more, normally including foreign news channels in several languages, including for example BBC news (English), Fox News (American) and the quite good station Al Jazeera News (English language). There is also a Thai-channel with English language news and some (not all) film channels have English subtitles, if not spoken English (many movies are lip-synchronized to Thai).