Bangkok's peaceful protest surprises tourists

webfact

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Without addressing the past, one issue that seems to have been overlooked in this discussion is the plight of the 'normal' Thai worker trying to make ends meet on the minimum wage of 300 baht/day. There was in interview with a female building cleaner yesterday who works near the Asoke/Petchaburi intersection. She can't afford to take the MRT of the BTS as it would consume too much of her daily wage. Do most of the people on TVF realize this about the normal Thai worker? There are hundreds of thousands of people in the same situation as this woman. You can label these protest as 'peaceful' all you want. But the bottom line is that when you disrupt the normal lives of working people to the extent of these demonstrations, they are an assault on working people and a threat to public safety. And I might add, IMHO the protests won't remain peaceful.

Thats what Suthep is banking on..

The government can easily wait out any peaceful protest.. That why Suthep will need to keep upping the ante, be it internet companies, Air traffic control or the remaining public transport route.. he HAS to create disruption to being about an endgame. He has said so clearly himself.

Otherwise we can all just sit here for weeks while bangkok economics crumble.

• Like 2

"...47,000 people in January - a 20 percent drop..."

Amazing Thailand! It's only January 14 and they can already present airport arrivals for the entire month of January!

Or is that a projected figure? Or did they perhaps consult a fortune teller, who took a quick look into his tarot cards?

Edited by Misterwhisper
  • Like 1

Without addressing the past, one issue that seems to have been overlooked in this discussion is the plight of the 'normal' Thai worker trying to make ends meet on the minimum wage of 300 baht/day. There was in interview with a female building cleaner yesterday who works near the Asoke/Petchaburi intersection. She can't afford to take the MRT of the BTS as it would consume too much of her daily wage. Do most of the people on TVF realize this about the normal Thai worker? There are hundreds of thousands of people in the same situation as this woman. You can label these protest as 'peaceful' all you want. But the bottom line is that when you disrupt the normal lives of working people to the extent of these demonstrations, they are an assault on working people and a threat to public safety. And I might add, IMHO the protests won't remain peaceful.

The government can easily wait out any peaceful protest.. That why Suthep will need to keep upping the ante, be it internet companies, Air traffic control or the remaining public transport route.. he HAS to create disruption to being about an endgame. He has said so clearly himself.

No pain no gain.

I'm sorry for the poor women who only earn 300 Baht/day, and I suspect the only reason why she managed to get 300 Baht/day is due to Yingluck upsetting her employer by fixing a minimum wages of 300 baht. My guess is that she probably earned my guessing, 190 baht/day during Mark/Suthep time.

Since this woman already gains so much extra already, she should not be selfish, try to scarify a little for the common good of removing the tyrant Yingluck.

• Like 1

Suthep and his followers are going to 'up the ante' if Yingluck does not resign. He knows that people will get bored and frustrated if the road blocks stay for too long. Ordibary people need to get to work by road as the BTS etc is too expensive for many workers or not close enough to their workplace.

I took lots of pictures yesterday at victory Monument and Asok and there was a party atmosphere. The Thais love to be part of a mass activity, any activity will do and many of the crowd did not really seem to have any kind of political agenda apart from a vague notion that corruption is a bad thing. They will soon tire of the game and Suthep and yingluck both know this I would imagine. Suthep has to bring about action so the army will intervene and, he hopes, support/precipitate a coup.

I don't believe Taksin was a saint but neither was Abhasit. They were both corrupt but during Taksin's reign the poor in the North-Est were a little better off and drug crime was more under control not to mention the economy.

It's my feeling that Suthep's supporters are largely middle class Bangkok dwellers who do not want a government that even listens to the poor of Thailand. They believe that a university graduate should have a larger voice in the management of the country than an uneducated Isaan farmer.

While I see their point . . .it's undemocratic, in fact it is Fascism.

There were lots of Suthep-ites from the South in Bangkok yesterday it seemed and I wondered why he has such support from what seems another poor demographic?

I also wondered what would happen if Suthep figure tried to block London, Paris, Brussels, New York. Riot police, batons, FRG gunners, Dogs, Armoured vehicles, I think.

Yingluck and company are smart and patient but Suthep will blame them for the forthcoming violence while having engineered it himself.

• Like 2

No pain no gain.

I'm sorry for the poor women who only earn 300 Baht/day, and I suspect the only reason why she managed to get 300 Baht/day is due to Yingluck upsetting her employer by fixing a minimum wages of 300 baht. My guess is that she probably earned my guessing, 190 baht/day during Mark/Suthep time.

Since this woman already gains so much extra already, she should not be selfish, try to scarify a little for the common good of removing the tyrant Yingluck.

Well, I reckon since the protestors are getting 500 baht/day, they could care less about the impact on those that are less fortunate and have no other choice but to try to support themselves and their family. These 'people' have as much value as the other 'people' to whom Suthep so often refers. At least you acknowledge who made this woman's life a little better even though it may have 'upset' her employer.

No pain no gain.

Well, I reckon since the protestors are getting 500 baht/day, they could care less about the impact on those that are less fortunate and have no other choice but to try to support themselves and their family. These 'people' have as much value as the other 'people' to whom Suthep so often refers. At least you acknowledge who made this woman's life a little better even though it may have 'upset' her employer.

" I reckon since the protestors are getting 500 baht/day"

Proof please.

This time, i agree with TAT, people will remember the protests of 2010 and the burning of BKK by the reds. Leaders on stage talking about benzine and making BKK burn. Now these protests are different, while i do admit there has been violence to but not on the same scale.

How much violence was there on day 1 of the red protest ??

And how much military force was used against them ??

Apples and oranges so far no..

Oh come on don't go there. Don't compare a violent mob that killed, looted and burned down parts of Bangkok with peaceful protestors. Bangkok's image is luckily improving so no need to make up stories again LivingLOS

WOW. just wow. by chance, were you IN THAILAND at the time? i think not. it was peaceful protests. all the violence came from the government. the hardcore extreme of the reds burned symbols of $ and power AFTER a bunch of red shirts were massacred in the park.

i'm pretty much in the middle on this, but your characterization of the nature of the red shirts a few years ago couldn't be more inaccurate.

I have been living in Thailand for many years and have witnessed the 2010 protests with my own eyes on a daily basis. Small numbers and violent. Thaksin earlier said that he needed 300,000 people to topple the govenement. He couldn't get them so he had to resort to a different strategy.

Again, Youtube can be an easy source to educate yourself if you are still not clear about what happened 2010.

• Like 1

Proof please.

I have plenty of sources both inside and outside of Bangkok -- and these are people with no reason to lie. Up to you whether you want to believe it or not. I think it is very common knowledge. Enough said. I also have it from very reliable sources that the PDRC 'security' guards or 'peoples' police' have vans full of weapons.

Edited by pookiki

TAT encouraging tourists to come see and take pictures of the carnival atmosphere surrounding these peaceful protests ....and the government issuing deportation orders for foreigners involving themselves in them .

Be careful where you point that Pentax , Igor .

• Like 1

Proof please.

I have plenty of sources both inside and outside of Bangkok -- and these are people with no reason to lie. Up to you whether you want to believe it or not. I think it is very common knowledge. Enough said. I also have it from very reliable sources that the PDRC 'security' guards or 'peoples' police' have vans full of weapons.

Please pass the info to the police. You may even get a reward.

Edited by spare5
  • Like 1

I have been living in Thailand for many years and have witnessed the 2010 protests with my own eyes on a daily basis. Small numbers and violent. Thaksin earlier said that he needed 300,000 people to topple the govenement. He couldn't get them so he had to resort to a different strategy.

Again, Youtube can be an easy source to educate yourself if you are still not clear about what happened 2010.

i don't need to look @ youtube. i don't need to look at how someone chooses to distort event after the fact, i was in bkk the entire time as it happened. i saw regular Thai motionless and bloodied being taken to hospital. Thai making a shrine where a person fell with instant donations for the family of the person just killed (btw watching people with nothing empty their pockets for a dead stranger's family was quite moving and something i'll never forget). i can tell you one thing, thru the entire ordeal, i did not meet one average 'man or woman on the street' who didn't identify themselves as pro red shirt. seriously- not 1. even as it increasingly harmed their livelihood, they got kinda pissed, but never changed.

like i said, i don't really have a dog in this fight- not my fight and neither choice is very appealing. that said, most countries thru history do not fare well when self chosen elites decide that they should run a country as an unelected committee and ignore democracy because they feel the populous is too stupid to make the correct choice (their choice) in free elections. perhaps there is some history that you watch on youtube that differs...

• Like 1

This time, i agree with TAT, people will remember the protests of 2010 and the burning of BKK by the reds. Leaders on stage talking about benzine and making BKK burn. Now these protests are different, while i do admit there has been violence to but not on the same scale.

There are several things to keep in perspective. First, the earlier days of the red-shirt protests were not particularly violent. Probably on a similar scale as these have been, with some killings and some incidents.

Second, this gov't is determined not to use some of the cruel tactics used by the Democrats against the Red-shirt protesters, although it remains to be seen whether they can hold to that promise.

Finally, a lot of the people in this protest are from Bangkok and there is a tendency for people not to poop on their own doorstep. During the Red-shirt protest, the majority of people were from outside of Bangkok and that made for a very different mindset.

I don't think we can adequately look at it until it is over. And it ain't over yet.

Couldn't agree less. Especially the cruel tactics part. You guys still haven't learned have you? Abhisit used force after 20 security officials were killed. Much to late imo.

Just hold on to your propaganda for a better opportunity. Now we are celebrating peaceful protests.

Wrong as usual with your yellow rants. Abhisit used force in 2009 & 2010 by bringing in troops with live war weapons to advance on the protesters after ZERO security officials were killed. Some were killed in 2010 as they were advancing and others after. Before the army was sent in there had been no casualties on either side and very few incidents at all. If the current yellow mob knew they were about to be advanced on by armed soldiers I bet there'd be a lot less singing & dancing.

• Like 1

There are several things to keep in perspective. First, the earlier days of the red-shirt protests were not particularly violent. Probably on a similar scale as these have been, with some killings and some incidents.

Second, this gov't is determined not to use some of the cruel tactics used by the Democrats against the Red-shirt protesters, although it remains to be seen whether they can hold to that promise.

Finally, a lot of the people in this protest are from Bangkok and there is a tendency for people not to poop on their own doorstep. During the Red-shirt protest, the majority of people were from outside of Bangkok and that made for a very different mindset.

I don't think we can adequately look at it until it is over. And it ain't over yet.

Couldn't agree less. Especially the cruel tactics part. You guys still haven't learned have you? Abhisit used force after 20 security officials were killed. Much to late imo.

Just hold on to your propaganda for a better opportunity. Now we are celebrating peaceful protests.

Wrong as usual with your yellow rants. Abhisit used force in 2009 & 2010 by bringing in troops with live war weapons to advance on the protesters after ZERO security officials were killed. Some were killed in 2010 as they were advancing and others after. Before the army was sent in there had been no casualties on either side and very few incidents at all. If the current yellow mob knew they were about to be advanced on by armed soldiers I bet there'd be a lot less singing & dancing.

Good old Rich teacher is still trying to spread the same propaganda: Red shirts were made violent because of AV's tactics. It's getting boring to say the least.

I would normally comment on a post with blatant lies but since it's written by you, I won't waste my time.

Edited by Nickymaster
  • Like 2

The Thai government, as was, made it quite clear it cares not for Western opinions, including those of the UN court.

Why advertise globally, seeking approval from the West, now?

More continued trite, from a has been attemtping continuation.

-m.

Good old Rich teacher is still trying to spread the same propaganda: Red shirts were made violent because of AV's tactics. It's getting boring to say the least.

I would normally comment on a post with blatant lies but since it's written by you, I won't waste my time.

You don't because you are wrong.

"Abhisit used force after 20 security officials were killed" is incorrect. Typical response, put down the poster & say nothing that is reasonable or substantiated.

I am not a tourist.

I live here.

I am presently surprised!

After all of the gloom and doom, blood and guts and violence predictions for Monday the 13th,

I am very pleased that cool heads have prevailed so far.

It is not my government and not my fight, but both sides have earned my respect and gratitude for the way they have conducted themselves up to this point.

I hope they continue in this mode.

• Like 1

i don't need to look @ youtube. i don't need to look at how someone chooses to distort event after the fact, i was in bkk the entire time as it happened. i saw regular Thai motionless and bloodied being taken to hospital. Thai making a shrine where a person fell with instant donations for the family of the person just killed (btw watching people with nothing empty their pockets for a dead stranger's family was quite moving and something i'll never forget). i can tell you one thing, thru the entire ordeal, i did not meet one average 'man or woman on the street' who didn't identify themselves as pro red shirt. seriously- not 1. even as it increasingly harmed their livelihood, they got kinda pissed, but never changed.

like i said, i don't really have a dog in this fight- not my fight and neither choice is very appealing. that said, most countries thru history do not fare well when self chosen elites decide that they should run a country as an unelected committee and ignore democracy because they feel the populous is too stupid to make the correct choice (their choice) in free elections. perhaps there is some history that you watch on youtube that differs...

mate, your full of shit anfd you know it. The reds started the violence after they were given what they wanted, the reds started the shooting, bombing and fires then the army retaliated but dont let the truth get in the way of your biased bullshit rave.

first, i'm not your mate, pal.

second, it's amazing how people try to colour others biased in an attempt to deflect their own. I HAVE NO BIAS-<deleted>. jesus. are you really that thick and BIASED that you can't figure that out from what i said. the only seemingly biased point was that history leans in favour of democracy vs govts run by unelected self appointed elites. i don't view that as bias, i view that as FACT.

i felt at some point the Abhisit govt had to do something about the protests. thing is, they were losing steam. he took a violent unnecessary route. the aftermath was elections and the red shirts showing their overwhelming majority at the polls. obviously, he miscalculated- innocent people died because of it and he lost his party's hold on power. unable to win elections, they're taking this route.

to show my LACK of bias.... The PM trying to get that amnesty crap done ALSO miscalculated and gave the elites an opening to do what is happening now. stupid arrogant move. the whole lot are more concerned with themselves than the Thai people- both sides. khao chai mai?

here's the deal- the yellows don't appeal to enough voters. when a political party cannot win an election, that's a fair clue that they are out of step with the majority of citizens. so... change platforms to appeal to the center, or continue losing. or, as you see it, protest against the will of the people and eschew elections in favour of.... an unelected self appinted group of people who cater to a minority of voters and who are just as corrupt as the current admin.

btw, i suppose you disagree with the below as well- right:

Death of Sergeant Phongchalit Phitayanonthakan[edit]

Sergeant Phongchalit Phitayanonthakan (จ่าอากาศเอกพงศ์ชลิต พิทยานนทกาญจน์), aged 51, of the Royal Thai Air Force's Ground Security Force Corps was shot and killed by friendly fire at an Army checkpoint at 1:20 AM of 17 May. Phongchalit and a Pilot Officer Aphichat Songyong (เรืออากาศตรีอภิชาติ ซ้งย้ง), aged 26, were wearing plainclothes and driving an unmarked Vigo pickup truck to the Saladaeng Intersection checkpoint at high speed. Army troops at the checkpoint reported being fired upon by the people in the truck.[43] The Army troops manning the checkpoint fired on the truck causing it to lose control and hit police vehicles parked nearby. The two men were taken to nearby Bangkok Christian Hospital, but Phongchalit was dead on arrival. Aphichat was injured, and later picked up from the hospital by commanders of the RTAF Ground Security Force Corps. The commanders had no comments about the circumstances of Sergeant Phongchalit's death.[44][45][46] Phongchalit was one of the two troops killed in the extended 13–19 May military crackdown.

Death of Fabio Polenghi[edit]

Deputy Prime Minister Suthep Thaugsuban claimed that Italian photographer Fabio Polenghi was killed by a grenade launched from a terrorist M79 grenade launcher and died side-by-side with a soldier.[47]However, numerous reports including one by the International Federation of Journalists noted that Polenghi was shot.[48][49][50] Autopsy results showed that Polenghi died from a high-velocity bullet that entered the heart, and caused damage to his lungs and liver.[51][52] A reporter from Der Spiegel who was with Polenghi noted that he was photographing from the protesters' side and was running from advancing soldiers.[53] The Italian Embassy announced it was pursuing its own investigation.[47]

In May 2013, the results of a lengthy investigation in Thailand revealed that Fabio Polenghi, 48-years old at the time of his death, was felled by a .223 calibre bullet from a soldier's weapon and was running away at the moment he was killed. Testimony from journalists Michel Maas, Manit Kamnan and Bradley Cox were included in the proceedings.[54][55] Polenghi's work had appeared in Vanity Fair, Vogue, Marie Claire, and Elle.[56]

The Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) was instructed to post photos of Bangkok shutdown on its online media to show the world the non-violent political protest in the capital, a senior official said.

Instructed by whom ???

Also how do they have the Jan figures complete ??

You do realise you can make up fictitious figures anytime you like in Thailand. If this statement is correct then it just proves how stupid and dishonest some of these officials are.