Police lie low as protesters occupy Bangkok

webfact

Absent in 2010, absent now. Can someone explain this situation?

Probably because they get paid 8000 a month and don't want to be shot at? Can't blame them! Also if they're not there they can't get blamed for stuff too

• Like 1

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well played Yingluck. Continue this and the rank and file will get bored. ..as many Bangkokians are. Sent from my GT-I9300T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

You are kidding right?

They won't get bored, this is just the start and the initial gathering and they will be closing down lots of locations on a daily basis.

Man.... this aint even started yet.

I agree. It's incredible that some people can't clearly see what is happening. The PM has to step down. And reform has to take place. It is vital for the future of the country. More and more Thais are finally coming to understand this.

• Like 1

Police lie low ?

But ... but ... three days ago we had the assurances from care-taking PM Yingluck herself "that safety is the governments top priority during the planned occupation of Bangkok next Monday."

• Like 1

The police are lying low so that they can focus on following and pursuing armed men hired and deployed by the DEM's PDRC. Among the protesters are also foreign workers either working here legally or illegally. They are also many landless rubber and oil palm farmers who are depending on the DEM's many MPs for their livelihood.

The police are lying low so that they can focus on following and pursuing armed men hired and deployed by the DEM's PDRC. Among the protesters are also foreign workers either working here legally or illegally. They are also many landless rubber and oil palm farmers who are depending on the DEM's many MPs for their livelihood.

and where did you find these 'facts'?

Well played Yingluck. Continue this and the rank and file will get bored. ..as many Bangkokians are. Sent from my GT-I9300T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

You are kidding right?

They won't get bored, this is just the start and the initial gathering and they will be closing down lots of locations on a daily basis.

I agree. It's incredible that some people can't clearly see what is happening. The PM has to step down. And reform has to take place. It is vital for the future of the country. More and more Thais are finally coming to understand this.

Why should the democratically people elected PM has to step down??? She had initiated reform forum long before this call of reform by DEM's PDRC. The DEM, instead, went around the country criticizing all reform initiatives. They demanded the government to dissolve the parliament, but when it happened, they boycotted it and used thugs to surround registration centers in the South providing excuses for the election commissioners and officials to close the center and/or resign. I am still waiting EC to take legal action against the leaders of these thugs.

• Like 2

You are kidding right?

Why should the democratically people elected PM has to step down??? She had initiated reform forum long before this call of reform by DEM's PDRC. The DEM, instead, went around the country criticizing all reform initiatives. They demanded the government to dissolve the parliament, but when it happened, they boycotted it and used thugs to surround registration centers in the South providing excuses for the election commissioners and officials to close the center and/or resign. I am still waiting EC to take legal action against the leaders of these thugs.

Well, the PM only started talking about a reform forum when the protests really got to her and (have to check this) just before dissolving the House.

the rest is equally garbish and distorded 'facts'

Well played Yingluck. Continue this and the rank and file will get bored. ..as many Bangkokians are.

Indeed, while the orders are naturally coming from Thaksin and the rest of the PTP elite, they are intelligently and peacefully painting Suthep into a corner. Without clashes with police and/or violence there can be no real justification for a coup.

However that being said the game of political chess is far from over, the real threat is the people of Bangkok clashing with protesters to remove them after their presence and effect on daily life simply becomes intolerable. The people of Bangkok charged with wrath over not being able to live their daily lives could be a very dangerous thing for both Suthep and Yingluck. On one hand the potential violence could be justification for a coup, however on the other hand a prolonged shutdown of Bangkok will slowly erode Suthep's and the Democrats credibility/political capital.

The political situation is ripe for a moderate off shoot of the democrat party to sweep in and become the political champion of the disenfranchised Bangkok residents but also former PTP supporters who lost faith in the PTP after the amnesty bill farce.

I think Chuwit, the former king of massage parlors can take over the DEM's place. Yesterday, he had the gut to blast the DEM's PDRC lawlessness people. He said thier activities are for their leaders' own families not the nation. Bravo, Chuwit. Sure vote for you in BKK.

• Like 1

Well played Yingluck. Continue this and the rank and file will get bored. ..as many Bangkokians are.

Indeed, while the orders are naturally coming from Thaksin and the rest of the PTP elite, they are intelligently and peacefully painting Suthep into a corner. Without clashes with police and/or violence there can be no real justification for a coup.

However that being said the game of political chess is far from over, the real threat is the people of Bangkok clashing with protesters to remove them after their presence and effect on daily life simply becomes intolerable. The people of Bangkok charged with wrath over not being able to live their daily lives could be a very dangerous thing for both Suthep and Yingluck. On one hand the potential violence could be justification for a coup, however on the other hand a prolonged shutdown of Bangkok will slowly erode Suthep's and the Democrats credibility/political capital.

The political situation is ripe for a moderate off shoot of the democrat party to sweep in and become the political champion of the disenfranchised Bangkok residents but also former PTP supporters who lost faith in the PTP after the amnesty bill farce.

I think Chuwit, the former king of massage parlors can take over the DEM's place. Yesterday, he had the gut to blast the DEM's PDRC lawlessness people. He said thier activities are for their leaders' own families not the nation. Bravo, Chuwit. Sure vote for you in BKK.

And where did you find this titbit of 'fact' if I may ask?

BTW the PDRC is not the Dems' PDRC how ever often you write it down here.

Edited by rubl
  • Like 1

Absent in 2010, absent now. Can someone explain this situation?

Yes.

If they act, then that results in riots. If those get serious and/or persist for more then a day or two, then the army commits a coup, which is what the "Democrat" party wants all along.

Therefore it's better to let these guys foul up their own nest until they tire of it.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai
  • Like 2

"in contrast to a military crackdown on opposition protests under the previous government that left dozens dead in 2010."

Not really a fair statement. That "crackdown" happened only after months of the same restraint that is happening now, and the people that were left were mostly hardliners intent on confrontation.

Wrong, AV's illegal government was confrontational, arrogant, living in the victim mentality world, blaming all on others except themselves. They escalated what started off a peaceful demonstration to a violence one. Their deployment of snipers and killers were targeting unarmed protesters not the MIB. Which gave the reason why MIB was engineered by them.

You are kidding right?

I've seen bigger crowds at a Church fete than there are at many of the protest sites. Irrespective of which side you support, it's hard to argue that this whole shutdown has been anything but extremely ineffective so far.

I'm undecided whether this is a good thing or bad, we may see the protests running out of steam which will hopefully pave the way for some middle ground reconciliation and genuine progress. On the other hand Suthep may start to get desperate and try and up the ante.

• Like 1

All this peaceful protesting is not poking the bear enough to get a reaction. Suthep better turn up the heat.

Just what I was thinking. Bit of a damp squib IMHO.

Without getting involved in the politics of it, I would have to note that the handling of the situation is pretty masterful. Suthep and his lot can run hither and thither, closing this for a while, blocking that for a while, occupying this for a while - but the simple truth is, without something to "react" against, all they are going to do is get hot and footsore.

Yes, a lot of people are inconvenienced, but life is (pretty much) going on as before.

As long as the present gov handles it by not handling it, Suthep is firmly in a bind. And that worries me as much as anything, because sooner or later he will up the stakes dramatically. To get anywhere, he will have to push until he gets a push back - and then all bets are off. And quite simply, Suthep does not strike me as a patient man.

• Like 2

And where did you find this titbit of 'fact' if I may ask?

BTW the PDRC is not the Dems' PDRC how ever often you write it down here.

Yes, it is the DEM's PDRC. The DEM said if they lose in parliament they will fight in the streets. All their MPs resigned but did not form another group but joined the PDRC and resigned MPs went on stage inciting the overthrowing of people elected government, don't pay taxes, stop works, threatened to cut water and electricity supply, occupying of state buildings and threatening medias and individuals if they don't follow their orders. Have they formed another group that is peaceful without issuing threats daily?

"in contrast to a military crackdown on opposition protests under the previous government that left dozens dead in 2010."

Not really a fair statement. That "crackdown" happened only after months of the same restraint that is happening now, and the people that were left were mostly hardliners intent on confrontation.

Wrong, AV's illegal government was confrontational, arrogant, living in the victim mentality world, blaming all on others except themselves. They escalated what started off a peaceful demonstration to a violence one. Their deployment of snipers and killers were targeting unarmed protesters not the MIB. Which gave the reason why MIB was engineered by them.

Please stop sprouting this type of untruths. Even as opinion it is too much.

• Like 1

Yes, it is the DEM's PDRC. The DEM said if they lose in parliament they will fight in the streets. All their MPs resigned but did not form another group but joined the PDRC and resigned MPs went on stage inciting the overthrowing of people elected government, don't pay taxes, stop works, threatened to cut water and electricity supply, occupying of state buildings and threatening medias and individuals if they don't follow their orders. Have they formed another group that is peaceful without issuing threats daily?

Actually the protests are led by the Peoples Democratic Reform Committee (PDRC) and supported by the opposition Democrat party, which is boycotting the poll.

Yingluck yesterday proposed a meeting of the government, the PDRC and Democrats, as well as representatives of the courts and business, to discuss the Electoral Commissions proposal to postpone the election for one month. But former deputy Democrat leader Suthep Thaugsuban, who leads the PDRC, rejected the offer. He told protesters at Pathumwan intersection: We will shut down the city. We will do it all day and we will do it every day until we win No negotiations. No compromise.

So ?

I like this headline. The police, as members of one of the world's largest mafia organizations, spends

all its time plucking money from the average Thai person. That is why the Thai people hate them

so much. So now with so many Thai people united, the police are afraid to go near them, much

like the actions of a school yard bully. Advance when fear is shown, and retreat when shown power.

But actually the police should grow a pair, because if Suthep takes over, I think one of the first

things he will do is strip the police of their mind boggling power, ( ever wonder why immigration

officials wear police uniforms ? ) and stop their corruption and leeching of Thailand.

• Like 1

I like this headline. The police, as members of one of the world's largest mafia organizations, spends

all its time plucking money from the average Thai person. That is why the Thai people hate them

so much. So now with so many Thai people united, the police are afraid to go near them, much

like the actions of a school yard bully. Advance when fear is shown, and retreat when shown power.

But actually the police should grow a pair, because if Suthep takes over, I think one of the first

things he will do is strip the police of their mind boggling power, ( ever wonder why immigration

officials wear police uniforms ? ) and stop their corruption and leeching of Thailand.

Not to defent the Police, but when one speaks about Suther doing this and that as if is guaranteed fact, without even being Thai and much less have an idea about anything, should focus on the subject of his own avatar instead.

• Like 1

Whats going happen to night is the follows.

1. Army looking only

2. Suthep Mob rules

3. Coup

4. The King

What is that, a 7 year's old kid witing excercise? Especially your point 4 makes no sense, and should not have been even written here.

Nothing but respect for the way Yingluck has handled this mob. Due worldwide respect is being shown to this government. Removing all chance of confrontation. Back to you Suthep...how you going to kick it off now

Agreed. She's made a lot of mistakes in government, but maybe this is her finest hour. She's in an incredibly difficult position now. In other countries the elected PM (now caretaker) would have an army to rely on to put down an insurrection, but not here. All she can do is to try to avoid creating a pretext for a coup. Good luck to her. Mind you, she doesn't necessarily deserve to win an election, if that happens. Thailand urgently needs talented, uncorrupt politicians with a vision of progress for the country.