New eco car. Yaris/Almera/Brio etc. Please help!

Thaiwi

What about the Chevy Sonic? The base sedan can be had for a bit over 500,000 with mt and just a tad more with at. It's a really good looker as well. I have a Chevy Aveo 1.4, mt that is 6 years old and it runs perfect. My opinion is that the chevy and ford offerings are superior (USA) to the Japanese stuff and have great styling. Just my two bits. Although, I must admit that the Almera and Attrage are a good buy. Jazz is strictly a lady car. I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole.;p

Besides probably lackluster after sales service, style is pretty decent. However the 5 door version has a really tiny boot. The 1.4i seems rather sluggish. Can't really agree on the Jazz being a ladies car. From all the small cars, the Jazz is probably the 'biggest' and to some extend most fun to drive.

About Chevy being USA and superior...and even Ford is a bit of a misleading statement....Number one the Ford Fiesta and Focus are from FORD Germany, not FORD America, which i believe to be quite independent set ups (still of course under same mother umbrella). Quite a few of the Chevys sold here in Thailand are actually rebranded Daewoos (Korea) I believe. (The Captiva, Aveo and maybe even the Sonic is....not so sure).

Please do correct me if i am wrong, not having researched that, but just putting in out from memory...

The Sonic is the replacement to the Aveo,

I am afraid the term American car, or for that mater any other nationality, is more and more blurred and and difficult to apply , in today global manufacturing market.

The Aveo was made by GM's subsidiary GM Daewoo

The current Sonic sold in Thailand is made at the GM facility in Rayong

• Like 1

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had the service done yesterday and the mechanic told us that using E 20 would possibly reduce acceleration and engine life. My car runs just fine on 91 so that's what I will continue to use where possible.

A shame as I had just got the people at my usual service station not to whistle at me when we turned up in the truck, they don't have 91.

How long are you planning on keeping the car? The business about engine life I can only see being of relevance if you plan on keeping it upwards of ten years at least. If you are not going to keep it that long, all of the extra money you will end up paying over the years for 91 rather than E20, won't benefit you, but might possibly benefit the second, third or fourth owner.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ XA using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

I had the service done yesterday and the mechanic told us that using E 20 would possibly reduce acceleration and engine life. My car runs just fine on 91 so that's what I will continue to use where possible.

A shame as I had just got the people at my usual service station not to whistle at me when we turned up in the truck, they don't have 91.

How long are you planning on keeping the car? The business about engine life I can only see being of relevance if you plan on keeping it upwards of ten years at least. If you are not going to keep it that long, all of the extra money you will end up paying over the years for 91 rather than E20, won't benefit you, but might possibly benefit the second, third or fourth owner.

E20 is about 7% cheaper than E10 but some people say you get less km/l (maybe 7%) so why take the risk in using E20. I will continue to use only E10.

• Like 1

E20 is about 7% cheaper than E10 but some people say you get less km/l (maybe 7%) so why take the risk in using E20. I will continue to use only E10.

I've run with both and haven't noticed any difference in terms of economy. A little difference in terms of performance but that could just be a psychological thing. Hard to measure.

As for the risk, my Nissan has a big E20 sticker on the inside of the filler cap. If the people that make the car recommend me use that, I think I'll go along with what they say, rather than what some odd mechanic or some motoring enthusiast says. At the end of the day, I won't have the car much beyond its warranty period, and so even if Nissan don't know what fuel their own car should be using, any damage will be their problem, not mine.

• Like 1

Yup....the Aveo is a gm deawoo lol. The sonic is a new model and its built here in Thailand. My Aveo was assembled here. I'm pretty sure that the Fords are rebadged Mazda's as well....pretty sure.

Sent from my IQ 5.5 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I think you'll find that the Mazdas are rebadged Fords.

You'll also find that if you have driven a Fiesta then drive a Sonic, you'll never buy the Chevy. Same goes for the Jazz or any other small car available here.

Shame Ford's aftersales service is crap.

• 6 months later...

What about the new Honda Brio Amaze? Anyone have ever drove one? I want to buy a car for our son.but i don't no much about cars.

And the cheaper models have only one air bag.But the Amaze two.And that is what i want.But maybe the car itself is not good.