the dark side

salavan

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yep, other side of Suk....not for some as the mental barrier of 6 lanes kicks in but nevertheless is an affordable place to be with restaurants, bars, cheaper than beachside. The past few years seen many Lotus Express and BigC open. Relaxed and can be fun. No doubt the locals will name a few places worth seeing.

Who said the OP is riffraff ?

Most likely most of us were "riffraff" when we first came to Pattatya and the many who found wifes and lives here and became non-riffraff moved to the dark side or other surrounding areas.

Seeing as the OP's next question will be "Why do they call it the dark side"? I will give my true theory;

In 2005 when they were cutting power off at first the "Cock Inn" and "Noi's" and a few other bars for not paying copyright fines week after week it became knows as The Dark Side.

I'm sure many will disagree but ......

Edited by Gone

Most likely most of us were "riffraff" when we first came to Pattatya and the many who found wifes and lives here and became non-riffraff moved to the dark side or other surrounding areas.

Seeing as the OP's next question will be "Why do they call it the dark side"? I will give my true theory;

In 2005 when they were cutting power off at first the "Cock Inn" and "Noi's" and a few other bars for not paying copyright fines week after week it became knows as The Dark Side.

i don't disagree with your ''true theory'' (whatever that is)

its just complete and utter nonsense

• Like 2

I am not running down the Darkside. I really liked it there. But I just moved back to the bright lights. After two months of running the Soi Nern Plub Waan (Soi 53, Soi Muslim) death gauntlet, I had enough. Ducking and weaving across the (uncontrolled) railway track bridge was also a challenge. Motoring across the Mad Max zone of Sukhumvit took its toll too. The red baht bus ran only every 20-30 minutes so I walked a lot. If you don't get your moto across Klang and Sukhumvit by 3 on the way home, you might as well walk. OK, bit of an exaggeration.

Had a wonderful, quiet, cheap apartment on the Darkside, good cheap food and seemingly a friendlier local vibe. But most of my shopping and night life was on the beach side of Suk. So I walked out early on my paid up apartment.

My particular circumstance was fear of a moto accident or getting run over along NPW or Suk. Sad to leave, but relieved to have left.

Edited by Kaoboi Bebobp
  • Like 1

i don't disagree with your ''true theory'' (whatever that is)

its just complete and utter nonsense

And your theory is?

Come on Gone, you always have many sensible posts inhere but now your theory sounds like a bar theory :-)

Anyways, the reason imo why they call it the Darkside goes back a few years when there were hardly any lights at the roads and just a few moo baans and thats it. Thats why it was called the Darkside.

Nothing like it is now at Khao Noi,NPW,SSCC and Khao Talo.

Sorry to disagree but I was one of the patrons sitting in those bars in 2005 when we were drinking in the "dark" and I had never heard it called the dark side until during those times.

People never called it the dark side when there were less lights and less developed.There was a certain spree of bars having their electric meters taken away until they paid the 25 to 50,000 baht fines wich back then took some time.

Come on Gone, you always have many sensible posts inhere but now your theory sounds like a bar theory :-)

Anyways, the reason imo why they call it the Darkside goes back a few years when there were hardly any lights at the roads and just a few moo baans and thats it. Thats why it was called the Darkside.

Nothing like it is now at Khao Noi,NPW,SSCC and Khao Talo.

Sorry to disagree but I was one of the patrons sitting in those bars in 2005 when we were drinking in the "dark" and I had never heard it called the dark side until during those times.

People never called it the dark side when there were less lights and less developed.There was a certain spree of bars having their electric meters taken away until they paid the 25 to 50,000 baht fines wich back then took some time.

How parochial.

I called it the dark side in 1998 but then again, I wasn't sitting in a bar without electricity on Khao Noi, Khao Talo, Nernplubwan or anywhere else in (what is now) the Pattaya ghetto.

Anyone remember Mick's little country pub 'The Cherry Tree' way out on Siam CC road? Now THAT was truly the dark side. It is still there btw, all broken and overgrown with 'beware of the dogs' signs.

Well I guess we all have our own opinions and I will stick with mine. I think the OP's questions have been answered and then some so I'm off topic.

Either way I like the dark side :)

• Like 1

The dark side got its name from those UK Ex pats from the NW of the UK who compared Pattaya and the front, Beach toad area to Blackpool, using Sukhumavit road as the divider.

For those in the know there certainly was a similarity in that on the Bright side of Pattaya and like Blackpool you could expect to be relieved of your coppers very quickly and efficiently by the sand hoppers who waited like preying mantis for their next punter.

The dark side of Pattaya, namely those streets from Soi Siam Country club up to Soi Khaotalo, all just off the railway road were where the workers from Issan and the bar ladies usually had rooms long ago.

It wasn't long before the area developed its own style and infrastructure which attracted those people who wanted both a cheaper and shall we say less stressful place to reside whilst enjoying the delights of Pattaya

At this time in my opinion the dark side is becoming darker, too busy, too stressful as other posters have mentioned and suffering from the loss of money spending tourists which results in increasing crime levels not just on Ex pats but on Thais themselves.

In other words the Thai on Thai crime seems to be increasing at the same time that the Tourists are disapearing