Dual Pricing - Thais/farangs But For A Singapore Based Cruise

Mobi

Ok. there have been many debates on dual pricing within Thailand, and we all have our views, but this is a bit different - atl least I think it is. :D

I enquired at a local travel agent on the prices for a 7 day cruise, run by a Singapore based cruise company, with the cruise starting and ending in Singapore. The agent faxed me a price list which had "Published rates" and "local rates." I enquired whiich rates were applicable, and was told that the local rates would apply for me.

I asked them to book two tickest and confirm the prices. They then advised that I could only get the local rate if I had a work permit - which I don't. (I have a retirement visa). The difference in the price is huge - Thai price Bht 45k per head, farang price Bht 71k per head. This is cruise only, in the cheapest cabin - 2 sharing - does not include any costs in Thailand , not even the air ticket to Singapore.

I have faxed several more agents and they all quoted the higher, farang rate to me.

The farang rate is even more expensive than the rate quoted by a Uk agent to my friend in England.

I have contacted the cruise company directly, but they advised that I must book through an agent in Thailand.

Can anyone explain what's going on here? Its pretty scandalous, isn't it? :o

Is there anything I can do to persuade the agent to give me the local (Thai) rate?

Just in case anyone is interested, I'm pleased to announce that I beat the system.

I refused to accept that they wouldn't give me the "local" price without a work permit and insisted that the agent went back to Singapore and told them that I live here, have a house here and a company here etc etc. They came back and said if I could produce my company papers with my name on it then I could have the lower price, which I did, and saved myself around 400 pounds. :D

I've just come across another piece of dual pricing illogic. If you try to book a hotel through one of the many internet hotel booking sites, you must be a foreigner with an overseas address and credit card. They actually state on their web page that the prices are not available for the local market. There seems to be a three tier pricing system. On one Bangkok hotel, I was quoted 1,900 baht on the internet, 2,400 baht by phone, if a Thai called, and 3,800 Baht by phone, if a farang called.

The whole thing is just crazy. Or is it me? :o

TIT :D