Don't let politics shut friendship down: Thai opinion

webfact

STOPPAGE TIME
Don't let politics shut friendship down

Tulsathit Taptim

BANGKOK: -- There must be other "perfect" pro-Suthep or pro-election people out there, but I'll stick to the ones I really know. My former colleagues - Patcharee and Daeng - care deeply about each other. Before the latter resigned from work recently, they literally ate rice from the same pot. They took turns bringing food to the office, sharing the cost and transport. When one got sick, the other would be there. Any kind of trouble and they would try to help each other out.

But ideologically, they go separate ways. Both are hardcore political animals. Who isn't, nowadays? you may argue. Well, Patcharee and Daeng don't bite each other. That's the best we can hope for at the moment, especially after events this week, when the political strife must have cut far deeper into family ties and friendship.

That politics is cruel is an understatement. Politics is evil. It makes people who have never even met Thaksin Shinawatra or Suthep Thaugsuban become so devoted to them that they are willing to abandon close acquaintances and friends.

Human progress has not changed an ancient fact, which is that politics thrives on hatred. Perhaps the more civilised we are, the more hatred is required for politics' winning formula. In politics, you can't really be loved without making people hate your opponents. That's arguably the way the game should be played, but here in Thailand the hatred has spilled over dangerously.

One thing is certain: those benefiting from the hatred and those doing the hating are not the same people. The latter are the casualties of a war initiated by the former. All the warmongers did was plant opposing ideologies that both seemed right, and the rest took care of itself.

Why is the spectre of civil war being raised when, taking off our ideological hats, all Thais want pretty much the same thing? The country wants democracy, a clean and transparent one. We all want to have our say in Thailand's political course. We all want politicians to be honest and serve the country's best interests. Why would people craving the same things want to kill each other?

That is in fact a political question. A simpler one is this: Why are Thais hating one another for things that they don't really know about? It's one thing to argue over whether we need a high-speed train or an entirely-elected Senate; it's another to hate the guts of people who disagree with us.

Disagreement and hatred are different things, as Patcharee and Daeng have shown. The line is largely blurred in Thailand, and it's difficult to bring it back into sharp focus. Politics and hatred are feeding off each other more than ever before. And that's the crux of Thailand's problem at the moment, not the issue of whether we need a new Constitution or when an election should be held.

Politics is threatening to turn any minor disagreement into a stimulus for hatred. It's a sad situation. Disagreement is supposed to forge an alternative, give new ideas or at least make one "wonder" if there's the slightest chance that the other could be right. Hatred makes everyone retreat into his own shell, feel foolishly "certain" and shut out the possibility of a compromise. Hatred fools people into thinking that they must win at all costs, while in fact they have already lost.

If it's difficult not to shoot the messenger, it's harder not to dislike those embracing the messages we don't agree with. Yet it might be true that that there's really no such thing as "right" or "wrong", but only things we like or do not like. And worse still, politics can make "right" seem "wrong" and vice versa.

We can take a stand, of course. We can go and blow the whistles or wear a white dress and light candles. We have the right to think that we are right. But it's wrong to assume that the others are definitely wrong. And it's far more wrong to hate the other side.

If we can't rein in the hatred, we must at least try to prevent it from escalating into something worse. Wars are often masked by "ideologies" which in fact do little more than make innocent people hate one another. Truth is, nothing's more noble than compassion. When we are hungry and someone gives us food, that's the ultimate ideological act, and it should transcend the question of whether he or she is a whistle-blower or dressed in white to support the election.

We share food all the time, even with strangers, some may argue. That's the thing. Sometimes the simplest thing to do is the hardest thing to idealise. Politics, surely, has the power to make the common goodness inside people become anything but.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-01-15

• Like 2

There are so many stupid farangs here who take this crap seriously. They treating you if you post something they don't like. It is unbelievably how many fools post here as if they are being paid which I hope they are not. What I am saying here is going to be attacked by those same fools. Watch how many of those fool reply to my comments. Go for it guys. clap2.gif

• Like 1

There are so many stupid farangs here who take this crap seriously. They treating you if you post something they don't like. It is unbelievably how many fools post here as if they are being paid which I hope they are not. What I am saying here is going to be attacked by those same fools. Watch how many of those fool reply to my comments. Go for it guys. clap2.gif.pagespeed.ce.z5euFoXm0J.gif

Sadly, your own post is antagonistic, so you could well reap what you sow.....but then perhaps this is what you wanted. There was no need to call others 'fools'.

Cooler heads and open minds are needed to help Thailand go forward.

Have you gotten messages from people that threatening you? I guess not, I have.

It doesn't have to end a relationship as long as each respects the other right to have their own viewport, even if they do not agree with it

A good example is James Carville an Mary Mattlin.

Carville is a staunch democrat who ran Clinton's election campaign while at the same time, his wife Mary Mattlin, a staunch Republican, was running the re-election campaign for Bush the elder...

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/washington/2009/12/mary-matalin-james-carville-marriage.html

Over 1500 Japanese businesses located in Thailand have signed a document last night saying they will leave Thailand if the country is run by Suthep's mob rule according to BBC news this morning. They say this will potentially effect over 1.3 million jobs for business workers large and small. The Japanese are now looking to Indonesia where they already have vehicle plants and Malaysia where they have electronic and computer manufacturing plants they can move to quickly. Today 20% of all manufacturing by Japanese companies are located in Thailand. The Japanese are afraid this is the end of democracy in Thailand and are ready to move.

• Like 1

Well, it seems the hiso folks can be somewaht pragmatic about the issues. The Issara family is heavily involved in the protests ( I wonder if they are giving rental rebates to those tenants whose businesses are affected?)....but say they are friendly with the Shins. " They are nice friends...but we know about their hidden agenda" hmmm....some friends

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2013/12/13/thailand-protests-idUKL3N0JS1TC20131213?feedType=RSS&feedName=rbssFinancialServicesAndRealEstateNews

There are so many stupid farangs here who take this crap seriously. They treating you if you post something they don't like. It is unbelievably how many fools post here as if they are being paid which I hope they are not. What I am saying here is going to be attacked by those same fools. Watch how many of those fool reply to my comments. Go for it guys. clap2.gif.pagespeed.ce.z5euFoXm0J.gif

Sadly, your own post is antagonistic, so you could well reap what you sow.....but then perhaps this is what you wanted. There was no need to call others 'fools'.

No I havent.. But then I dont write antagonistic posts calling others fools.

Maybe consider that ??

• Like 1

Over 1500 Japanese businesses located in Thailand have signed a document last night saying they will leave Thailand if the country is run by Suthep's mob rule according to BBC news this morning. They say this will potentially effect over 1.3 million jobs for business workers large and small. The Japanese are now looking to Indonesia where they already have vehicle plants and Malaysia where they have electronic and computer manufacturing plants they can move to quickly. Today 20% of all manufacturing by Japanese companies are located in Thailand. The Japanese are afraid this is the end of democracy in Thailand and are ready to move.

I haven't seen that at all. Nor is it online

The Japanese are always the first to run when there is a threat to Wa or peace.

Source ????

Source ????

I certainly hope they pull the plug on their shiseido and osotspa investments given the outrageous comments in the reuters link above

Source ????

I certainly hope they pull the plug on their shiseido and osotspa investments given the outrageous comments in the reuters link above

I saw it this morning on a live report on BBC News on the TV.

No loss -let them head off to where they can screw more profit out of the workers, and to help them on their way Thailand should call their bluff and start re-calling their work visa's etc. you will see an immediate change of attitude.

Yes JaiDeeCM - can you post the link please? I would love to read and share that story. Thanks!

Edited by BKKBrit

Maybe consider that ??

So anything you don't agree to is antagonistic. You and other like you are the problem.

Yes JaiDeeCM - can you post the link please? I would love to read and share that story. Thanks!

I saw it on BBC Business Report on TV early this morning. The reporter was talking live from Tokyo about Japanese manufacturing. In the report he mentioned about the Japanese businesses signing the document last night to be given to the Thai Government this morning in Tokyo. He then went on to talk about the effect it would have on the Thai economy and the options the Japanese businesses have and where they plan to move the manfufacturing.

Maybe consider that ??

So anything you don't agree to is antagonistic. You and other like you are the problem.

No.. Calling people fools.. Stupid farangs who take the crap.. Etc etc..

Your not debating a point or eloquently stating a view, your just ranting vitriol.

If you cannot see why your posts are getting you threats sent via PM, while plenty of others on here can debate like adults, have a discourse, and not receive any threatening PMs, then clearly you are the problem.

• Like 1

Maybe consider that ??

No.. Calling people fools.. Stupid farangs who take the crap.. Etc etc..

Your not debating a point or eloquently stating a view, your just ranting vitriol.

If you cannot see why your posts are getting you threats sent via PM, while plenty of others on here can debate like adults, have a discourse, and not receive any threatening PMs, then clearly you are the problem.

wai2.gif

I saw it on BBC Business Report on TV early this morning. The reporter was talking live from Tokyo about Japanese manufacturing. In the report he mentioned about the Japanese businesses signing the document last night to be given to the Thai Government this morning in Tokyo. He then went on to talk about the effect it would have on the Thai economy and the options the Japanese businesses have and where they plan to move the manfufacturing.

Ah ok! Thanks!

Maybe consider that ??

Yes, in the past I have been threatened and suffered racial abuse, so I understand that. But what YOU don't seem to understand is that calling people stupid farang and fools is going to earn you similar disrespect. That your views may or may not differ from mine does not make you antagonistic.... the tone of your post does.

As I said, you will reap what you sow. Choose your words more wisely!

I was raised to have healthy debate, which can include politics and religion. It should not affect friendships (that's just a sign of low self esteem and maybe intelligence).

So you are saying if someone was not raised or 'socialized' the same way as you and do not react according to your set values then they have either low self esteem or low intelligence... Wow how xenophobic of you!

Do you mean you received threatening PM from members for your opinion on a subject ?facepalm.gif

^ If so you can just report those people and they'll get a nice holiday to cool down.

(I'm personally not ever in favor of reporting anyone for any comment made publicly, no matter how strongly worded, but a private threatening message just needs to be dealt with.)

I did report and they were suspended, but returned a few hours later with another id and I reported it again and it was suspended. I am sure that person is still here.