Muslim Shot Dead, Teachers Hostage

stumonster

Muslim shot dead, teachers hostage

From correspondents in Narathiwat

May 19, 2006

A MUSLIM man was shot dead by suspected Islamic militants in Thailand's restive south, while villagers there took 11 teachers hostage to demand the release of suspected insurgents.

Paoyi Yousoh, a 39-year-old Muslim villager, was gunned down in Narathiwat, one of the three Muslim-majority southern provinces bordering Malaysia.

Also in Narathiwat, some 500 angry villagers burst into a local elementary school and took 11 teachers hostage for three hours.

The villagers demanded the Government release two suspected militants who were arrested earlier in the day in connection with a shooting at Thai marines at a railway station on April 12.

Military and police rescued the hostages but two young women teachers, Sirinart Thawornsook, 30, and Chooling Kongkanmool, 26, were badly beaten by villagers with wooden sticks.

They sustained severe head injuries and were in critical condition, police said.

Local government officials, police, military are often targeted by Islamic insurgents but Muslims seen as sympathetic to the government are also attacked. Meanwhile, Justice Minister Chidchai Vanasathidya said the Government was still lagging behind insurgents in the area of intelligence, but insisted the situation was improving in general.

"Government intelligence is always one step behind militants. I have instructed intelligence officials to improve their work," said Mr Chidcahi, also Deputy Prime Minister, who visited the restive south on Thursday.

"I have to admit that there are still daily attacks because militants are still active. We need more time to dissolve the insurgency movement as they are still recruiting new people," he said.

A two-year insurgency has left more than 1200 people dead in the kingdom's insurgency-plagued south.

The region was an independent sultanate until Thailand annexed it a century ago. Separatist violence has simmered ever since.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story...29-1702,00.html

Violence against teachers erupts again in Narathiwat

Two female teachers were yesterday taken hostage by a group of southern villagers in Ra Ngae (ระแงะ) district of Narathiwat and were later beaten up by militants before being rescued by authorities.

Julin Kampongmoon (จูหลิน กำปงมูล) is still in critical condition at Narathiwat Ratchanakharin (นราธิวาสราชนครินทร์) hospital. Sirinart Thawornuk (สิรินาถ ถาวรสุข), another teacher being treated at the same hospital is now safe. Both teach at Ban Kujingreupa (กูจิงรือปะ) kindergarten in Ra Nage district.

They were taken hostage by villagers who wanted to exchange them with 2 men who were arrested earlier by police. These 2 men were suspected of killing 2 marines at a railway station in January.

Security will be tightened in Ra Ngae and nearby districts.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 20 May 2006

"Also in Narathiwat, some 500 angry villagers burst into a local elementary school and took 11 teachers hostage for three hours."

It seems like every time something happens that the locals down there don't like, they form a MOB. You can read this same thing all over Thailand. In other words, the police arrest someone and the villagers form a mob and storm the police station and/or demand that the criminals be released.

Do the authorities usually bow down to mob rule? Do they go after mob participants later?

This is very barbaric behavior. And, of course, the acts of cowards. :o Why do we never read about one-on-one fights?

Or why don't we read news articles that say, "Today in Ubon Ratachmasasat, prathom 6 student Machima Oncase earned her 8th perfect score in science, and out in Mae Hong Son province, a Karen refuge named Urasat We received a scholarship to the Univ. of Hawaii"? Because that's not news.

Most people never get mugged or assassinated. You can live to age 102 without having fallen off a motorcycle or been kidnapped. Violence is the myth of all popular religions, including the ones founded or practiced for a thousand years as pacifist religions, but everybody thinks the only way to get redeemed is to have the good guy kill lots of bad guys.

Do Thais living above Pattana have a positive image of Thai Muslims? Thanks to the media, no. I finally noticed that the royal anthem or national song at the movie cinema now has a very brief image of a few Thai Muslims. Apparently the national anthem wasn't aimed at them, previously, or their participation in the national culture was ignored.

In other words, the media could do a lot more to help the problems in the south, and throughout the Kingdom, by showing much more Thai Buddhist-Thai Muslim peaceful interaction. And a lot more news about non-violence.

i can only hope that the female teachers were not thai buddhist.

huh? why would that matter? they were most probably Thai though from thhe names ...

"Also in Narathiwat, some 500 angry villagers burst into a local elementary school and took 11 teachers hostage for three hours."

It seems like every time something happens that the locals down there don't like, they form a MOB. You can read this same thing all over Thailand. In other words, the police arrest someone and the villagers form a mob and storm the police station and/or demand that the criminals be released.

Do the authorities usually bow down to mob rule? Do they go after mob participants later?

This is very barbaric behavior. And, of course, the acts of cowards. :D Why do we never read about one-on-one fights?

huh? :o

42 schools in Narathiwat's Ra Ngae district will be closed for 5 days

Forty-two schools in Ra Ngae (ระแงะ) district in Narathiwat will be closed from today until May 26.

Thawat sae Hum (วัช แซ่ฮ่ำ), chairman of the Federation of Narathiwat Teachers, said school executives resolved at a meeting yesterday to close for 5 days to facilitate operations of security officials in arresting people involved with the attacks on 2 female teachers of Ban Kujingreupa (กูจิงรือปะ) school in Ra Ngae district on May 19.

Mr. Thawat said that by closing the schools the officials will not have to be worried about protecting teachers and students, adding several other schools in nearby districts have had ordered a closure.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 22 May 2006

100 schools close over security fears

549000007755101.JPEG

Security forces outside the school where two teachers were badly beaten last Friday. The armed forced have been blamed for failing to prevent the attack.

About 100 schools in the troubled province of Narathiwat have decided to close indefinitely as anger was yesterday directed at security forces for their failure to prevent Friday’s brutal bashing of two female teachers.

Education officials who met with government and security personnel yesterday said the gates of more than half of the 199 schools in Narathiwat’s Education Zone 1, will remain closed until security forces can guarantee the safety of the provinces’ teachers.

Two young female teachers are currently in hospital, one in a coma, after being bashed by villagers who took them and 11 other teachers hostage at Ban Kujing Ruebas school in Rangae district.

The villagers were hoping to secure the release of two young men arrested earlier that day for the murder of a marine at a train station in January this year.

Pairat Saengthong, Director of Narathiwat Education Zone 1, said following the shocking incident teachers had refused to return to work until a number of demands were met.

They included the arrest of those responsible for the beating, a full investigation into how the incident was allowed to happen and assurances that security personnel would act immediately in future incidents involving teachers and schools.

The Narathiwat Teachers Federation also sought pledges from the Justice Minister, the Narathiwat Governor and regional army and police commanders that teachers would not be harmed again.

“The reason for the attack on the teachers is that officers failed to meet their security requirements which enabled insurgents to carry out the attack,” said Narathiwat Teachers Federation president, Thawat Sae-ham.

The incident came just days after schools re-opened following the summer holidays amid concerns that attacks on teachers would pick up where they left off before the two month break.

Witnesses said the abductors were manipulated by the wife of one of the arrested men as well as unknown masked men, who exploited the villagers’ fear and mistrust of the security forces.

“There is a serious issue with lack of trust between villagers and the authorities, and someone is manipulating that very effectively,” said Sunai Phasuk of Human Rights Watch who spoke to villagers after the incident.

“Villagers saw hundreds of police swarm in and what they know of that scenario from other incidents is that those men were going to be taken away for good, and terrible things could happen to them.”

According to Sunai, villagers believed that by kidnapping a government official they could negotiate the release of the suspects as had previously occurred in similar situations.

However, the incident was hijacked by possible militants, leading to the beating of the teachers, Sunai said.

Following coverage of the incident, Fourth army region commander Lt-Gen Ongkorn Thongprasom yesterday offered to accept responsibility and step down.

“As a person with direct responsibility, I have to admit all mistakes. Our plans were thought out, but the situation didn’t go as planned,” Lt-Gen Ongkorn said.

“I have handed a report of the entire incident to my superiors and am ready to accept any change of the Region 4 commander and director of the SBPPC from today my superiors see fit.”

Narathiwat Governor Pracha Taerat said two people, including the wife of one of the suspected insurgents, had already been arrested for their involvement in the incident and up to 20 more could also be arrested in the near future.

He also questioned the Fourth army’s decision to remove the security detail that had guarded the school in the past.

People from a range of backgrounds, including teachers, religious leaders and government and security forces, have expressed their sorrow at the attack.

One of the teachers, 24-year-old Jooling Kampanoon, was still in a coma last night in Hat Yai Hospital, but according to doctors had showed slight signs of recovery.

Doctors said the young art teacher from Chiang Rai had begun breathing on her own again but was still being kept on a respirator.

Her colleague, 30-year-old Sirinart Thawornsook, who is expected to be released from hospital soon, called on security forces to give more protection to teachers.

“I understand well that this was done by some people with bad-intentions and was not about religion, but when there’s one rotten fish, it can smell as if the whole basket is rotten,” Sirinart said from hospital yesterday.

“I still want to ask officers to give more protection to teachers, because we do not have any weapons to fight back with.”

Sirinart has been offered a new job at a school in the less dangerous Muang district of Narathiwat while the other 11 teachers taken hostage have also applied for transfers.

Thousands of teachers have left the region in the past year due to persistent attacks against them and their schools as part of an upsurge of violence which began more than two years ago.

Security forces said yesterday that one of the men arrested in the operation that sparked Friday’s incident had confessed to murdering the marine after viewing closed-circuit TV footage that showed his involvement.

Source: ThaiDay - 22 May 2006

Muslim shot by Muslim terrorists??????????????? Have they run out of people to shoot?

Muslim mob attack school and demand release of suspected Muslim terrorists. Muslim terrorists beat 2 female teachers and demand that 2 suspected Muslim terrorists be freed. What the f....?

What do these people have against education????

I have read a little about the ancient Pattini kingdom they were part of that was carved up by the Brits in Malaysia and taken over by the Siamese. Maybe they have a real complaint but why is violence so often the recourse Muslims leap to.

Flame away. I know what I see.

Medical condition of beaten teacher worsens

The medical condition of Juling Pangamoon, a teacher who was beaten into a coma by a mob in Pattani last week, worsened on Monday as her brain swelled and she had return to use respiratory equipment.

"Juling's condition is worse as now she has to go back to rely on respiratory equipment. During the weekend, she could breathe by herself," said Dr Sumet Peerawut, director of Prince of Songkhla Hospital in Hat Yai.

Juling, a Chiang Rai native, and another teacher at a school in Pattani's Rangae district were taken hostage and beaten on Friday by angry villagers who wanted security authorities to release two men arrested in connection with the murders of two marines in the same district last year.

As of Monday, Juling was still unconscious and an Xray on her brain and abdomen showed no improvement from the day she was admitted to the hospital.

Sumet on Saturday said that only a miracle could save Juling's life.

Source: The Nation - 22 May 2006

Maybe they have a real complaint but why is violence so often the recourse Muslims leap to.

Flame away. I know what I see.

You would have a point if you would have stated "but why is violence so often the recourse HUMANS leap to" .

Army chief aplogises families of two teachers

Army Commander-in-Chief Gen Sonthi Boonyaratglin Monday apologised to the families of two teachers who were severely beaten by villagers in Narathiwat after they were taken hostages on Monday.

"I am sorry for what has happened and I would like to say an apology to the families of the two teachers, who were injured," Sonthi said.

He said the Fourth Army Region had set up a committee to investigate why soldiers took too long to rescue the teachers.

He said he had ordered soldiers to launch rescue operations within just 10 minutes when an incident occurs.

The two teachers were held hostages for two hours before authorities reached the scene and they had already been beaten up badly.

Source: The Nation - 22 May 2006

the siamese had laid claim as early as the fourteenth century. southeast asian history is full of cultural,ethnic, and commerce exchange. violence in the south is the result of internal and external islamic interests, and maybe,to some extent, internal ethnic division. regardless of the reason, beating women with sticks is a symptom of evil nature.

I don't wish to push the subject Colpyat, so I shall say "why is violence the recourse that humans jump to when all else is failed, but Muslims jump to quickest of all" Is that fair? Seems fair to me.

Dog412 suggests an "evil nature" is at work. HHMMM! What would promote such a reaction? Some kind of book maybe!

Northern teachers condemn the brutality against 2 female teachers in Narathiwat

The Federation of Teachers in 16 Northern Provinces issued a statement condemning the brutal attacks by militants on 2 female teachers of Ban Kujingreupa (กูจิงรือปะ) school in Narathiwat’s Ra Ngae (ระแงะ) district on May 19.

The federation said schools in the North welcome Juling Pongkanmoon (จูหลิง ปงกันมูล) back after her condition returns to normal. Ms. Juling, a native of Chiang Rai, was badly hurt by in the attacks and is still listed as critical at a Songkhla hospital. Another teacher, Sirinart Thawornsuk (สิรินารถ ถาวรสุข) is recovering.

The federation demanded the government quickly arrest the assailants and tighten security measures for teachers in the deep south. It also called on militants to stop using women and children as a tool in staging violence.

The federation believed, however, that the May 19 incident would not discourage teachers from the north from going to work in the 3 southern border provinces

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 23 May 2006

Her Majesty the Queen donates her personal money for treatment of two Narathiwat teachers

Her Majesty the Queen has donated her personal money for medical treatment of two teachers who were taken hostages and beaten up in Narathiwat on May 19.

Juling Pongkanmoon (จูหลิง ปงกันมูล), one of the two teachers of Ban Kujingreupa (กูจิงรือปะ) school in Ranagae (ระแงะ) district, was seriously injured in the attack. Another teacher, Sirinart Thawornsuk (สิรินารถ ถาวรสุข) is recovering.

The Queen’s money was handed to Songkhla Nakharin Hospital director Sumet Peerawut (สุเมธ พีรวุฒิ) and families of the two teachers yesterday.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 27 May 2006

I am not well up with the intricate cause and effect action of the violence in the south, but it seems that the terrorists are and have for several years been focusing an unusual amount of anger on schools and teachers. Can anyone explain why this is so?

I am not well up with the intricate cause and effect action of the violence in the south, but it seems that the terrorists are and have for several years been focusing an unusual amount of anger on schools and teachers. Can anyone explain why this is so?

Teachers are appointed by Bangkok, curriculums are made in Bangkok. The Thai school systhem does take emphasis on nationalism and patriotism. The language in which is taught is central Thai, and not their own Malay dialect (i believe that has not changed yet, but correct me if i am wrong).

Separatists in the south do feel that this school systhem does undermine their own culture and language, and see it as a symbol of their oppression.

This area was until about 100 years ago it's own semi-independent sultanate, has always been Malay Muslim where Buddhists are recent immigrants.

The murders of teachers and Buddhist monks are part of their fight against central Thai authority.

Teachers are appointed by Bangkok, curriculums are made in Bangkok. The Thai school systhem does take emphasis on nationalism and patriotism. The language in which is taught is central Thai, and not their own Malay dialect (i believe that has not changed yet, but correct me if i am wrong).

Separatists in the south do feel that this school systhem does undermine their own culture and language, and see it as a symbol of their oppression.

This area was until about 100 years ago it's own semi-independent sultanate, has always been Malay Muslim where Buddhists are recent immigrants.

The murders of teachers and Buddhist monks are part of their fight against central Thai authority.

Thanks for explaining that.

**AsiaWolfie if you want your opinion heard, don't do a whole post in caps**

If you can stop shouting i can give you an easy answer.

The population of the former sultanate of Pattani, which are now the three Thai provinces of Pattani, Yala and Narathiwat, are not ethnic Thai, but Malay Muslim. The insurgency there is not so much Muslim related than ethic/nationalist.

I did not speculate what or who gives anyone any right to do whatever they think is right or wrong, i just try to explain why they do what. This is conflict that has been going on forever, and as long as both the Thai government and the insurgent groups will not sit down on a round table and find a solution through negotiations, a compromise that takes both views in account i am am afraid that the killing will go on forever.

The more intelligent parts of the Thai army are more than willing to sit down, employ the help of the same crises management group that has facilitated the peace talks in Aceh, but unfortunately the present Thai government has so far refused to go that way, believing that they can with their mix of idiotic actions, such as the paper birds, and brutal violence, such as Tak Bai solve this conflict.

The example of a somewhat similar conflict in Aceh has though shown that there simply is no military solution to conflicts such as these.

Edited by cdnvic

The Thai Army is but a lame duck, too much of personal politics involved.

They should learn form the ISRAELI ARMY... :o

Start killing women, children and assorted innocent bystanders? How on Earth would that help?

**AsiaWolfie if you want your opinion heard, don't do a whole post in caps**

If you can stop shouting i can give you an easy answer.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

-----------------------I am sorry about that, I just wanted to give it a CONTRAST so it can be seen what was the original post and what did I reply...... won't do it again, apology......

thanks for your interesting comments about the historical background, ColPyat

Asiawolfie

The population of the former sultanate of Pattani, which are now the three Thai provinces of Pattani, Yala and Narathiwat, are not ethnic Thai, but Malay Muslim. The insurgency there is not so much Muslim related than ethic/nationalist.

I did not speculate what or who gives anyone any right to do whatever they think is right or wrong, i just try to explain why they do what. This is conflict that has been going on forever, and as long as both the Thai government and the insurgent groups will not sit down on a round table and find a solution through negotiations, a compromise that takes both views in account i am am afraid that the killing will go on forever.

The more intelligent parts of the Thai army are more than willing to sit down, employ the help of the same crises management group that has facilitated the peace talks in Aceh, but unfortunately the present Thai government has so far refused to go that way, believing that they can with their mix of idiotic actions, such as the paper birds, and brutal violence, such as Tak Bai solve this conflict.

The example of a somewhat similar conflict in Aceh has though shown that there simply is no military solution to conflicts such as these.

-----------------------I am sorry about that, I just wanted to give it a CONTRAST so it can be seen what was the original post and what did I reply...... won't do it again, apology......

thanks for your interesting comments about the historical background, ColPyat

Asiawolfie

Don't worry, no offense taken. :o

The whole thing is more than sad, like in all those civil wars. And in this conflict a solution would actually not be that difficult if a bit of common sense would be applied.

The government should understand that those three provinces are a special situation, and therefore a special status should be awarded to the region.

The insurgents should understand that one cannot turn history back, and that in the modern world a newly formed micro-nation will most likely stay an intenational basket case forever.

A practical solution could be along the Aceh MoU - give the region a status of partial autonomy, their own parliament. Let them collect and keep their own taxes, let the police forces and judicary have only members from that region, but let the borders still guarded by Thai army. Foreign relations concerning this region should be decided by members of their own parliament and The central Thai authorities together.

Unfortunately though i believe that there will be far more killings, the normal population will keep on suffering from the actions of both sides. Those sort of civil wars always tend to escalate in terms of brutality, before both sides realise that they have to talk.

I'm surprised to see that no one is talking about this incredible news : graves with 500 "unidentified" bodies in the south !

http://www.bangkokpost.com/breaking_news/b...ws.php?id=99594

80 % of them have been "killed". So, no they didn't die from bird flu or cancer... Too bad...

And of course the police have already stated that they must have been "immigrants workers" from Cambodia (!) or Burma. Why not from China or Russia ? It could make sense, no ?

Can it be true that owners of plantations for instance, "dispose" of their immigrants workers by killing them ? I mean, it sounds utterly crazy (ok maybe the owner don't treat them well with low wages, but kill them ?!!!).

Or shall we see a link with the "unrest" ? Some extra judiciary killings of "muslims insurgents", like the war on drug thailand has previously experienced ?

This story spells another very dark cloud on the behaviour of the governement.

Every month I've got the feeling that we are going deeper and deeper into the horror.

And I hope that one day mister T will face a proper trial.

This country is becoming more and more like a lawless african country.

chuang Posted Today, 2006-05-28 03:26:19

The Thai Army is but a lame duck, too much of personal politics involved.

They should learn form the ISRAELI ARMY...

-------------------------------------------------------------------

cclub75 Posted Today, 2006-05-28 08:33:42

I'm surprised to see that no one is talking about this incredible news : graves with 500 "unidentified" bodies in the south !

http://www.bangkokpost.com/breaking_news/b...ws.php?id=99594

80 % of them have been "killed". So, no they didn't die from bird flu or cancer...

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Seems to be a very polarized issue.

The Army is either too tough or not tough enough.

Common sense says that a negotiated agreement is the most likely solution. But when emotions get hot people only want revenge.

This country is becoming more and more like a lawless african country.

Somewhat hyperbolic considering that you can safely travel just about anywhere in the country now, and it wasn't long ago that bandits were relieving bus passengers of their valubles when travelling south, and heroin ruled the golden triangle. The reality is that despite these local disputes which have for the most part stayed among locals, that the rule of law is more entrenched in the country than any time in the past.

cv

Thaksin committed major blunders in his first term in the south. He abolished the พตท.43- Combined Civilian- Police- Military Taskforce which had for years along with the ศอ.บต. Southern Joint Administration Office, monitored the situation in the south.

Comprised of local Muslim leaders as well as the authorities, they ensured that in the Democrat years and beyond violence had been minimal by frequent discussions of local issues with all those concerned.

Thaksin also pulled out the army,claiming it was no longer required; with a result that the police who remained stayed in the towns, afraid to venture into the jungle and villages, giving the separatists free rein to indoctrinate the young.

Once the violence erupted Thaksin claimed it was only โจรกระจอก - petty criminals in Thai, an appalling mistake.

These strategic policy errors, compounded with the rise of militant Islam and Thaksin's own populist policies, such as village loans with interest and legal gambling which are immoral in Muslim eyes, only added to the fury at the disappearances and murder of many, coincidentally occurring in the drugs war.

Tak Bai was the final straw.

The militants\ separatists seem to be aiming at setting up no-go areas with their brutal killings of Buddhists and Muslims siding with the authorities.

Some form of local autonomy is the solution but it's an impossible nut for a nationalistic party such as TRT to swallow.

l

Yala governor confirms there are no massive graves in the province

Yala governor Boonyasit Suwannarat (บุญญสิทธิ์ สุวรรณรัตน์) denies reports that a few massive graves with about 200 unidentified bodies buried inside were found in this southern border province..

Mr. Boonyasit said the reports, cited by interim senator Kraisak Choonhavan (ไกรศักดิ์ ชุณหะวัณ), were totally groundless.

He said officials had checked with community leaders in all areas and were confirms that such graves did not exist.

The governor said people should double-check information that may cause distrust of authorities and division among different groups before disclosing it.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 30 May 2006