Canadian - stolen passport ..now kind of screwed ?

So i got my passport (as well as laptop, phone $300 cash...) ripped off by a taxi when getting out..

I have 6 days left on my thai visa. I am on a island in krabi province

Canadian embassy has moved to Bangkok Marriott Hotel Sukhumvit located at 2 Sukhumvit Soi 57 (BTS Thong Lor, sortie 3) in Bangkok.

I am not sure what i should do here, i was about to do a visa run and go home in just under 1 month, can't visa run...

If they let me fly from KRabi to BKK with only the plolice report about the missing passport and a photocopy of passport, no other picture ID at this time... otherwise huge bus ride.

It seems the is a consulate in Chiang mai but it would take them a week or more to get me a temp visa she insisted i go to BKK, but i needed to go to chiang mai anyways...

anyone have any tips, as i travel alone and don't have any other support other than two bank cards at the moment..

\

You should be fine man. I have flown with a offshore safely passport from 6 years ago with no problem. Domestic flights are never an issue. I would suggest taking the BTS to ThongLor or Ekkamai stop on Sukhumvit rd and getting a Motor Bike Taxi if you can't find the address. They will know how to get there. Good luck man.

• Like 1

is that part of BKK going to be a problem to get there, and find a cheap guesthouse for the few days i will be there.

I think iwill try to board an air asia from Krabi to BKK and show them my police report, photocopy and just explain to them.. but it's hard to imagine non photo id and you get on.. that or buy the ticket at the airport and ask them there...

I heard they might not charge the overstay considering the situration in BKK .. i just counted and noticed that $15 a day isn't the end of the world i guess, but stressful none the less... also lost my laptop, phone, and other things.

OP: I had my passport stolen and obtained an Emergency Passport - Australian. You are able to do a visa run on an emergency passport. As Canada is a G7 country you will be able to do a land border run and obtain a 30 day visa, alternately fly out to a neighbouring country. As you plan to return to Canada in the coming month; you could obtain a full replacement passport upon your return, rather than in Thailand, just make sure you have sufficient pages and validity with the emergency passport.

Call AirAsia to confirm you will have no issues with boarding without photo ID. Contact info below and can use Skype http://www.airasia.com/th/en/contact-us/call-centre.page

I think iwill try to board an air asia from Krabi to BKK and show them my police report, photocopy and just explain to them.. but it's hard to imagine non photo id and you get on.. that or buy the ticket at the airport and ask them there...
Personally, I would book your AA flight online, check-in online and just walk on up. You will have no issues with the police report. Don't fret too much, your circumstance is fairly common and all will work out fine!

Sent from my ME172V using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

Maybe I'm missing something here. Phone your relocated embassy at the hotel and tell them you urgently need a replacement passport due to the theft.

I suspect this is one of the services that they relocated to the hotel as peoples passports are going to be stolen all the time and they will have anticipated the need to provide this service during the relocation.

Personally, I would book your AA flight online, check-in online and just walk on up. You will have no issues with the police report. Don't fret too much, your circumstance is fairly common and all will work out fine!

Sent from my ME172V using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Don't you need id to get on any plane these days? I have always been asked for for it and even the card used to pay for the ticket which should be cancelled if it's stolen.

I would ring my closest embassy asap and take their advice. Try not to stress to much and good luck with a shitty situation.

Maybe I'm missing something here. Phone your relocated embassy at the hotel and tell them you urgently need a replacement passport due to the theft.

I suspect this is one of the services that they relocated to the hotel as peoples passports are going to be stolen all the time and they will have anticipated the need to provide this service during the relocation.

You must physically attend the Embassy for ID purposes before they start the process to issue an Emergency Passport

Edited by simple1
  • Like 1

As mentioned make your way to BKK.

http://www.ppt.gc.ca/planification/203.aspx?lang=eng

If you need to call Canada for documents etc load Magic Jack on your smart phone calls are free.

Double check the size of the passport pictures before doing them & remember NO smiling for passport pics (double check all the silly picture rules)

Also when you're on with the Embassy find out if you need a guarantor.

You must physically attend the Embassy for ID purposes before they start the process to issue an Emergency Passport

Yes, after phoning them to confirm that they are still issuing passports I would suggest following whatever advice they give and then probably go to the hotel to have the application processed and the passport issued.

For the OP to get a new passport he's going to have to go to Bangkok, I suggest going sooner rather than later.

From what I know about emergency travel documents they are generally valid for travel back to your home country only. He needs a full pasport to be issued.

Edited by ukrules

Photocopy of passport is acceptable ID to board an Air Asia domestic flight. I flew to HDY recently with 2 colleagues that were without their passports. I called them myself to check in advance. At check-in they didn't even blink.

Yes, after phoning them to confirm that they are still issuing passports I would suggest following whatever advice they give and then probably go to the hotel to have the application processed and the passport issued.

For the OP to get a new passport he's going to have to go to Bangkok, I suggest going sooner rather than later.

From what I know about emergency travel documents they are generally valid for travel back to your home country only. He needs a full pasport to be issued.

As already mentioned I travelled on emergency passport. Kl to BKK, then needed for a border visa run to Cambodia, could have also used to return to home country, but stayed in Thailand and obtained full replacement passort. For full replacement passport I was required to present originals of ID documentation, not copies, but requirements will vary between different governments.

From another Canuck, go to BKK consular services, forget Chiang Mai.Sent from my ME172V using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

uu

Indeed, been through this before......

1. Contact embassy

2. Explain your situation

3. Follow their instructions.

Don't worry about safety issues, just leave plenty of time for travel within BKK.

As others said, first step is to contact them or just show up in person.

I would advise you also do your best to show up at Immigration as soon as possible after that, and certainly before your visa runs out. Pretty sure things are better organized now to the point they can look you up by passport#/name/date of arrival whatever and let you know their requirements to avoid a problem

Don't expect logic or any coordination between the two processes, but if there's an issue absolutely impossible to resolve you'll find a kindly ear to bend the rules for you as long as you remain calm patient and friendly.

I'm afraid the rest of your itinerary is pretty much blown in the meantime, don't expect to get to CM until you're done I think.

And BTW how did your stuff get stolen? If in fact you just left it in the taxi there are a few numbers to call, radio stations that put out bulletins, tourist police etc, I've gotten all kinds of (sometimes very expensive) stuff back that way. . .

thanks guys...

Do you know about that area of Bangkok, is it good at the moment to stay and get to and out of ?

Yup this blows big time ..

Area is fine, live here now...it could blow up but just track news and you will be fine.

In the past you could get an emergency document to return home from the embassy, good one time only to get from where you are to Canada. If you asked for a replacement passport that's different and will require more hoops. But if you we're planning to be here awhile no worries, just get someone in Canada to send docs required and then apply from here, but in that case you have to stay til it's ready....no harsh punishment.

As per OP if lost in taxi check with police there to see if its been handed in

I got that from Canadian Consular service in Bangkok:

Canadian citizens requiring emergency consular assistance can contact the Embassy of Canada in Bangkok at 02-646-4300 or [email protected]

The Embassy of Canada Temporary Service Centre located within the Bangkok Marriott Hotel Sukhumvit (2, Sukhumvit soi 57, BTS Thong Lor, exit 3) might be on the protest path. If you are in need of consular services (including passport). For all non-urgent matters, we recommend that you postpone your visit to tomorrow.

For a cheap but decent hotel, away from the demonstration area but convenient to airport rail link (connecting to BTS/MRT} look up the NASAVEGAS HOTEL in Rhamkhamheng. It is directly across the street form the Rhamkhamheng rail link stop. Walk in rates for a standard room are B690 but if you prebook on Agoda.com, you can get for about US $15.

It is an older, business style Hi Rise hotel, a bit dated but clean and comfortable. They charge for water so buy at Family Mart opposite. Decent breakfast buffet but almost B200.

thanks guys.. seems like it isn't the end of the world... having all hell trouble trying to call the tourist police in lanta, talk to the reuglar ones that did the report but they don't seem to want to see me anymore, i think there is supposed to be tourist police but hardly anyone wants to let me use the phone, my guest house "lanta family" won't let me use the phone either and made a photocopy and then wanted 20baht after, i am sorry after 700 bhat for a little bamboo hut in really bad shape, about double the others in the area, you think the might let me use the phone ! hope you wont stay at that place.

thanks guys.. seems like it isn't the end of the world... having all hell trouble trying to call the tourist police in lanta, talk to the reuglar ones that did the report but they don't seem to want to see me anymore, i think there is supposed to be tourist police but hardly anyone wants to let me use the phone, my guest house "lanta family" won't let me use the phone either and made a photocopy and then wanted 20baht after, i am sorry after 700 bhat for a little bamboo hut in really bad shape, about double the others in the area, you think the might let me use the phone ! hope you wont stay at that place.

At least you have gotten the police report done.

The next step is to get get an emergency passport or travel document which means going to Bangkok.

After you get the passport or travel document the next step will be a trip to immigration (keep copy of police report for them) to get your entry/permit to stay put in it and a new TM6 departure card. You could also apply for a 7 day extension at the same to give you some more time and avoid an overstay.

From another Canuck, go to BKK consular services, forget Chiang Mai. Sent from my ME172V using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

This is for sure. The lady in CM is really nice, but it is totally random whether she will be there or not, and likely all she will do for you is say go to Bangkok.

I remember years ago an english lad left bag in taxi,P/port and money lost,his friends took him south and when he came back to report at embassey all his stuff was there. hope you have good fortune as well

Edited by theslime

Sorry but it's unclear what has happened.

What means "ripped off"? If got your bag snatched, that is not a light crime and police will at least make an attempt going after the taxi driver. There is also tourist police. Also niot clear where that has happened ? How you ended on the small island if didn't happen there?

Maybe I'm optimistic but if can get some help tracing the taxi, chances are you'll get back all your items.

agg... i had to give up... going to bangkok tonight to the temp Canadian embassy, hope the unrest is fine, sucks, sucks sucks... i doubt my stuff at embassy. wish i knew the local paper on koh lanta as i could put an ad, as my crooked guesthouse owner did put an ad in the paper "for me" but wounldn't take my contact details... in other words he is hoping they bring it to the gueshouse so he can have it.