Thai hatred

Kangawallafox

I definitely see lice plucking all the time, mostly to children.

At least a dozen times a week.

Not bashing, just saying the truth - IMO lice aren't dirty, just a part of human life in some circles.

The chemicals required to really kill them have to be applied to everyone in contact with each other at the same time, are relatively expensive for poor people, and are much too strong and dangerous the way they're sold here.

Physical removal's the way to go!

Edited by wym

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No K it's not clear.

I was (still am) under the impression that you are a Thai-basher.

IMO you are judging Thais and their culture based on a very limited "my culture's standards are the one true way" mentality rather than being accepting of differences.

Live and let live, learn how to adapt yourself to them while you are here, stop trying to fit what you perceive into your back-home brainwashing.

Your posting this OP just makes me think "we (try to) teach what we most need to learn".

-------------

And yes, learn how to use the forum markup to clean up the quotes, how to mark other people's words to differentieate them from your own etc.

It's not up to the reader to figure out what you mean, it's your responsibility to try to make that clearn

Are you ok, I'm defending thai people in this thread.

Oh lord it's amazing here on tv, hilarious.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

It's not a question of who's on what "side", things aren't black and white. The goal is for us to try to improve the quality of the discussions going on here

I am stating that the perception here is that you are one of the main offenders guilty of exactly what you are trying to criticize.

Take that feedback as sincere, trying to be helpful holding up a mirror for you so you can try to see the impression your style of communication conveys.

And see if you can find the kernel of truth in it rather than defensively arguing back against it.

I'm always extremely polite unless people are rude, and that is why I am rarely polite.

Talk right and you will see how friendly I am, however I will not allow people to walk all over me simply because they are miserable or trying to amuse themselves.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Seems to me that you have an awful lot of time on your hands. Why do you spend so much of it on this forum?

Regulator, I thik its time to end this bntering back & forth on who said what, when, why, I answered, I quoted, it has turned into a personal attack on one or two TV members.........let them fight it our off-line. Moving On, nothing of interest here. coffee1.gifmfr_closed1.gif.pagespeed.ce.UuJWYpOV2u.

• Like 1

Paradise isn't paradise? Most foreigners see only a warm climate, palm trees, friendly people and good food when they first meet Thailand. The reality hits when they decide to come and live/retire here?

That's why there are so many long term retired people living here. That's why the nursing home business is growing so fast in Thailand.

The reality is, they like it much better than where they came from and decided to stay. They like the people, the food and the weather and the lower costs. biggrin.png

Slightly off-topic - but do you know of any of these 'Nursing Homes' or 'Retirement Comminities'?? addresses, you can answer me direct - I sold my apartment some time ago because I didn't like the new young neighbors........would be interested in checking out some of them. I like to party as uch as the next guy, but don't want to have to live with them.

Thanx

Paradise isn't paradise? Most foreigners see only a warm climate, palm trees, friendly people and good food when they first meet Thailand. The reality hits when they decide to come and live/retire here?

That's why there are so many long term retired people living here. That's why the nursing home business is growing so fast in Thailand.

The reality is, they like it much better than where they came from and decided to stay. They like the people, the food and the weather and the lower costs. biggrin.png

Slightly off-topic - but do you know of any of these 'Nursing Homes' or 'Retirement Comminities'?? addresses, you can answer me direct - I sold my apartment some time ago because I didn't like the new young neighbors........would be interested in checking out some of them. I like to party as uch as the next young guy, but don't want to have to live with them.

Thanx

... Read the post again. He did not write that, he was quoting other posts and is wondering why other people feel this way. It's not his "true colours" but somebody others!

Thailand is a third world country, most Thai ladies behave accordingly. If you think anything different you are fooling yourself, for them farangs are there for topping up their family income, you are an ATM, how dare you speak Above is a quote from another thread, another stated if you want love get a dog as you will not get it from a thai. These are not uncommon, and certainly prove my point in no uncertain terms. I have seen my share of shady characters in Thailand however it's disappointing to see the majority get judged by the minority, even if the minority is out in force and large in number. Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

AH ... but here's the rub ... if he's going to "quote" ... use the quote marks ... otherwise we just have the word of an anonymous blogger ... rolleyes.gif ... Chinese whispers are probably more reliable.

Could have made it up for all we know.

If we keep this up ... maybe we could get past 14 pages of comments when the same OP got all high and mighty about being charged a few Baht more then others for his coffee.

He never did say how much more he was charged ... the rumour was Bt 5.

Here's your chance to clear that old gem up also ... whistling.gif

• Like 1

Slightly off-topic - but do you know of any of these 'Nursing Homes' or 'Retirement Comminities'?? addresses, you can answer me direct - I sold my apartment some time ago because I didn't like the new young neighbors........would be interested in checking out some of them. I like to party as uch as the next young guy, but don't want to have to live with them.

Pattaya and Chiang Mai are two Forums to ask that in.

I'm fairly sure they have communities established.

• Like 1

I definitely see lice plucking all the time, mostly to children.

At least a dozen times a week.

Not bashing, just saying the truth - IMO lice aren't dirty, just a part of human life in some circles.

The chemicals required to really kill them have to be applied to everyone in contact with each other at the same time, are relatively expensive for poor people, and are much too strong and dangerous the way they're sold here.

Physical removal's the way to go!

Not bashing would be writing about kids but the post I was referring to was about adults,

(From the Thai lice post)

"I accept that the younger children may well pick up head lice from other kids at kindergarten, but I find it strange that these adults seem to be infected with lice on a regular basis."

And that is nonsense and Thai bashing.

Edited by thailiketoo

I've definitely seen lice plucking, watched them crack the lice.

Not noticed hair plucking .... but I guess it could happen.

Could happen. Who am I to tell you what kind of women to hang out with. In 10 years I've never seen a woman do it but perhaps we move in different circles.

I suspect what is more likely is one (or more) of these,

1. You aren't very observant.

2. You don't have much contact with the general Thai population.

3. You aren't in the home environment of Thai people.

4. Thai women aren't comfortable around you.

5. You/their Thai/English language skills aren't sufficient to communicate on such a subject, so they just fob you off with a random excuse to what is happening.

6. No school children in your household.

Do you speak Thai, could you ask about lice in Thai, would the Thai people you associate with know the English word for lice?

(Maleng lek lek or how)

Edited by FiftyTwo
  • Like 1

... Read the post again. He did not write that, he was quoting other posts and is wondering why other people feel this way. It's not his "true colours" but somebody others!

Thailand is a third world country, most Thai ladies behave accordingly. If you think anything different you are fooling yourself, for them farangs are there for topping up their family income, you are an ATM, how dare you speak Above is a quote from another thread, another stated if you want love get a dog as you will not get it from a thai. These are not uncommon, and certainly prove my point in no uncertain terms. I have seen my share of shady characters in Thailand however it's disappointing to see the majority get judged by the minority, even if the minority is out in force and large in number. Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

AH ... but here's the rub ... if he's going to "quote" ... use the quote marks ... otherwise we just have the word of an anonymous blogger ... rolleyes.gif ... Chinese whispers are probably more reliable.

Could have made it up for all we know.

If we keep this up ... maybe we could get past 14 pages of comments when the same OP got all high and mighty about being charged a few Baht more then others for his coffee.

He never did say how much more he was charged ... the rumour was Bt 5.

Here's your chance to clear that old gem up also ... whistling.gif

Hi David, I read the original quote and understood it as he is asking the question why people feel as they do towards Thais? He quoted threads from other posts (so he says and I have no reason to disbeliev him as I've seen lots of similar posts about Thais) as examples. Okay so he didn't put " " at each end of the quotes, doesn't mean the quotes aren't real and it certainly doesn't mean a quote is real by putting speech marks up either. Regards two-tier pricing, that's been hammered to death here already. Me? I don't begrudge paying a few baht more. I remember years ago in Hyde Park ice cream vendors charging tourists £5 a go for an ice cream that back then probably cost 50p. This isn't the only country guilty of that. On the other hand if I felt really p1ssed off by it. I'd be gone to somewhere else!

I can only say that as individuals we all have a different opinion .

Personally I do not have any anger , I do monitor posts and comments .

I , throughout my viewing have not seen , read , nor had the feeling that there is a degradation towards the wife of any man .

I cannot say that this has not been the case as you have said , just that I have not encountered it here .

I will look for more information , maybe I have missed something ,

Regards , Goompa

Not bashing would be writing about kids but the post I was referring to was about adults,

"I accept that the younger children may well pick up head lice from other kids at kindergarten, but I find it strange that these adults seem to be infected with lice on a regular basis."

No and no.

How would the whole family avoid sharing the lice with their kids when everyone sleeps together in the same bed?

And it's not bashing when there's nothing wrong with lice, it's a normal condition in the circumstances, when I lived in outback Australia all the kids had lice in school too.

Only difference there was the government regulated the solution so it wasn't dangerous, the school had no problem notifying everyone when the problem got out of control, and everyone in the community could afford to go out and buy the shampoo and get it all done at one go.

But within a few months they'd all be back again.

In the US they make a much bigger deal about it but my kids school sent 10+ notifications home to parents in just the first term.

Not a big deal, get over it!!!

• Like 1

The people are ok here, just don't get too involved with them.

What a contradictation,i like you but i don't want anything to do with you.As somebody once said,you are either in or out,you can't have it both ways.

Not true. Lots of farang live in their foreigner bubble and only have the minimum contact required with their service providers, never getting to know any Thais on a personal basis.

And sure you and I think they're missing out on a lot, but that's perfectly OK if that's what they want.

• Like 1

No and no.

How would the whole family avoid sharing the lice with their kids when everyone sleeps together in the same bed?

And it's not bashing when there's nothing wrong with lice, it's a normal condition in the circumstances, when I lived in outback Australia all the kids had lice in school too.

Only difference there was the government regulated the solution so it wasn't dangerous, the school had no problem notifying everyone when the problem got out of control, and everyone in the community could afford to go out and buy the shampoo and get it all done at one go.

In the US they make a much bigger deal about it but my kids school sent 10+ notifications home to parents in just the first term.

I taught school in Thailand for many years. Kids are shampooed and wear shower caps for the rest of the day. I know the frequency of lice in children and adults. Adults rare, teens rare and Anuban kids yes. They get it at school. I have seen hundreds of Thai women picking each others hair and men's hair and it was never for lice.

No and no.

And to point out, back in the UK whenever my kids had head lice, usually every year, my wife often had them too.

(Although for some reason they never liked me ..... the lice I mean.)

Edited by FiftyTwo

as they say if you cant take the heat kitchen then get out throughout the world people hate where they live but do nothing but moan if your foriegner , in someone elses country you can go home but can you imagine some people cant even leave a village or a town let alone a country its called trapped and some times hell so be greatful if you can move about and find some where and let the mind be peaceful and your body will be more heaalthy and you be more happy

I taught school in Thailand for many years. Kids are shampooed and wear shower caps for the rest of the day. I know the frequency of lice in children and adults. Adults rare, teens rare and Anuban kids yes. They get it at school. I have seen hundreds of Thai women picking each others hair and men's hair and it was never for lice.

I never said all the head-picking was lice.

And I agree the younger the Thai the more likely, much less so among Thai adults that don't sleep with children.

But in fifteen years of teaching here I've never seen mass use of the solution, and after I did my research on the Thai concentration levels as opposed to what's considered safe in the earlier-developed West, I would have fought tooth and nail against anyone telling me it should be used on my kids.

More than half the under-fifteen year old kids I know were regularly - several times a week - picked over by parents and/or the maid or each other - for LICE.

You obviously live in a different subculture than I have.

I never said all the head-picking was lice.

And I agree the younger the Thai the more likely, much less so among Thai adults that don't sleep with children.

But in fifteen years of teaching here I've never seen mass use of the solution, and after I did my research on the Thai concentration levels as opposed to what's considered safe in the earlier-developed West, I would have fought tooth and nail against anyone telling me it should be used on my kids.

More than half the under-fifteen year old kids I know were regularly - several times a week - picked over by parents and/or the maid or each other - for LICE.

You obviously live in a different subculture than I have.

I had a fifty bottles of the lice stuff in my office and that lasted a year for 1000 kids.

(Thailand is a third world country, most Thai ladies behave accordingly. If you think anything different you are fooling yourself, for them farangs are there for topping up their family income, you are an ATM, how dare you speak) Above is a quote from another thread, (another stated if you want love get a dog as you will not get it from a thai). These comments in brackets are not uncommon, and certainly prove my point as to people's negative feelings in no uncertain terms. I have seen my share of shady characters in Thailand however it's disappointing to see the majority get judged by the minority, even if the minority is out in force and large in number. Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

i confirm:in my lopinion, farang are a live and juicy ATM for most of the country men and women, because of the thai immigration visa rules, normal thai people see only money in us , i guess, they think we have a privat factory who make dolars banknote at home..........sometimes i tell them like this, because they can not imagine a farang with no money.w00t.gif

The day you dont have money anymore for any good reason, you will have to leave thailand, even if you are married .... they don't care....and you won't get help from any one.... and if you ask the thai family for help, the litany remain always the same ....sorry don't have money, what can i do?giggle.gif

the thing is that everybody is waiting for the $ to come from you only...thats it !.biggrin.png ...but other foreigners, because they can manage. prefer to dream about coconuts coktails and 20 years young ladys around them......IF YOU THINK THEY ARE HERE FOR YOUR PRETTY FACE....continue to dream then ! Many farang have cried allready! AND don't say this is not going to happen to me, my wife loves me.....well perhaps for now but in 5 years time.... who knows ???? especially in a country where you FAST have no rights and nothing on your name ....!

TO FINISH I WILL SAY THAT I DON'T THINK PEOPLE LIVING HERE HATE THAIS.....NO !!.....OTHERWISE..???.. THERE IS NO POINT TO COME TO THAILAND BUT .....I WOULD SAY , YES ......MOST OF PEOPLE WHO LIVE IN THAILAND SINCE LONG TIME and knows what's happening....... HATE THE IMMIGRATION RULES WHO ARE MADE FOR US, THEY ARE SIMPLY NOT FAIR AT ALL !hit-the-fan.gif.pagespeed.ce.6UelFDbFNJ.

For the millions of dolars we together bring to thailand, we should have a litle bit more respect and understanding....FOR THAT PRICE, they also could learn some fluent english to help us sometimes.

good day and good night

coffee1.gif

• Like 1

IMHO the content majority don't feel the need to post unless they they have a problem they want help with. I think there are a lot of people out there, the majority, that like Thailand, the people and get Love from their wives. It is the sad, bitter minority that post so frequently and venomously that are distorting the picture and giving the impression of a widespread disrespect.

I understand that there are problems, there are problems in every country. Chill out, relax and look how you can make the best of what you have.

coffee1.gif Mai bpen rai wai.gif

• Like 1

I read the comments here and actually decided to post. First off, I didn't feel that the op posts were putting down Thailand or Thai people but extracts from other comments I have read in the forum over the past few months. Too many keyboard warriors reading what they want as opposed to reading the the post clearly.

I used to live in Nakon Pathom, just outside of Bangkok but found after 7 months Thailand wasn't for me and returned to the UK. I don't regret it but I did think why am I complaining and not doing something about it. I left and now I am much happier for it. I don't see why someone would stay if not happy. I think, personally, we have become a society where all we do is moan and complain as opposed to actually wanting to be happy.

I know what you mean. Why I remember reading a thread about a guy who accused all Thais of having no shame or morals because they overcharged him 5 baht on a cup of coffee. Imagine confusing a 5 baht overcharge with shame and morals and worse applying his judgement to all Thai people because of his experience.

I don't know what to say.

I don't know what makes Farang so bitter. Especially over 5 baht.

It's not the amount, it's the principle.

When living in Thailand, not just passing through, it's gets tiresome constantly being overcharged for being a farang.

• Like 1

Thailand is not a 'third world country' but is a developing country - a significant difference. And after having exeperienced the rudeness, ignorance and arrogance of some Europeans and Americans then Thailand is a very welcome contrast indeed.

And as to the question raised by this topic, if you don't like it try and make an effort or p..s off and leave it to those who do.

Bob A. Relaxed in Lampang

Unless I missed Thailand joining NATO or the Soviet Block, it's a 3rd world country.

Or did they change the definition of 3rd world when I wasn't looking?

Glad to see you avoided the rudeness, ignorance and arrogance of the Thais!

Guess you don't watch any Thai news, or speak with any Thais.

If they joined the Bloc,they would be 3rd world, as they didn't,theyr'e not,by a long shot.Maybe you did a Rip Van Winkle and missed the last 30+ years i have been coming here.Most of my mates are Thai people so i guess i get back what i put out.Same for you.

@TLT

You forgot the most important link ......................... DEFINITION

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third_World_Country

I went to your link. Thailand is not mentioned in the text. But they do have a map. Thailand is the same color as the USA and Australia. I don't think the USA and Australia are 3rd world.

You want to go outback Australia or deep south in the States and have a look around,5th world!!

(Thailand is a third world country, most Thai ladies behave accordingly. If you think anything different you are fooling yourself, for them farangs are there for topping up their family income, you are an ATM, how dare you speak) Above is a quote from another thread, (another stated if you want love get a dog as you will not get it from a thai). These comments in brackets are not uncommon, and certainly prove my point as to people's negative feelings in no uncertain terms. I have seen my share of shady characters in Thailand however it's disappointing to see the majority get judged by the minority, even if the minority is out in force and large in number. Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

i confirm:in my lopinion, farang are a live and juicy ATM for most of the country men and women, because of the thai immigration visa rules, normal thai people see only money in us , i guess, they think we have a privat factory who make dolars banknote at home..........sometimes i tell them like this, because they can not imagine a farang with no money.w00t.gif

The day you dont have money anymore for any good reason, you will have to leave thailand, even if you are married .... they don't care....and you won't get help from any one.... and if you ask the thai family for help, the litany remain always the same ....sorry don't have money, what can i do?giggle.gif

the thing is that everybody is waiting for the $ to come from you only...thats it !.biggrin.png ...but other foreigners, because they can manage. prefer to dream about coconuts coktails and 20 years young ladys around them......IF YOU THINK THEY ARE HERE FOR YOUR PRETTY FACE....continue to dream then ! Many farang have cried allready! AND don't say this is not going to happen to me, my wife loves me.....well perhaps for now but in 5 years time.... who knows ???? especially in a country where you FAST have no rights and nothing on your name ....!

TO FINISH I WILL SAY THAT I DON'T THINK PEOPLE LIVING HERE HATE THAIS.....NO !!.....OTHERWISE..???.. THERE IS NO POINT TO COME TO THAILAND BUT .....I WOULD SAY , YES ......MOST OF PEOPLE WHO LIVE IN THAILAND SINCE LONG TIME and knows what's happening....... HATE THE IMMIGRATION RULES WHO ARE MADE FOR US, THEY ARE SIMPLY NOT FAIR AT ALL !hit-the-fan.gif.pagespeed.ce.6UelFDbFNJ.

For the millions of dolars we together bring to thailand, we should have a litle bit more respect and understanding....FOR THAT PRICE, they also could learn some fluent english to help us sometimes.

good day and good night

coffee1.gif

Immigration should have looked at your visa a bit closer.

• Like 1