Rice farmers to march into Bangkok

webfact

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thaksin's worst political nightmare of his career has just got a whole lot worse, and at the worst possible time. The edifice of Thaksin's northern coalition is falling apart at the seams, as rice farmers are no longer aiming their protests as simply getting their money, but are now actively engaged in demanding the administration's ouster. This is a significant sea-change. The truth, however, is that the Pheu Thai coalition was already starting to unravel for some time. Everybody in Pheu Thai knows that power rests in the support from the North. And everybody in Pheu Thai knows that Thaksin has ingeniously exploited this for his power gambit. But these same people also know - that at some point down the line - that Thaksin would be prepared to ditch the concerns of this constituency when he no longer needs them. And that is why the people at the top of the red shirt movement have been particularly restless, as they see their own interests at peril. So both sides of the red-shirt movement are suspicious of each other, and in a sense hold each other's interests as ransom. And for a long time - it worked. But something has changed. The money handouts ended. The gravy train came to a sputtering stop. But the worst development for Thaksin in the long term is this -

The farmers are beginning to think. And have now taken the wool from over their eyes.

i live in a red shirt village and area and they still worship Taksin here so far and probably for ever. They have been so brainwashed they believe Taksin paid from his own money to clear Thailands IMF debts they also believe gold price is lower because of dems and that dems stole all money so theirs none left. But as far as I know they have been paid for rice here.

People just simply fail to understand the way after 10 years or so of Takmsin red shirt propaganda as far as many Taksin can't do any wrong and will be their savious

So While some might be angry I'm very sceptical that most of Taksins support will ever go

Its a but like support thatcher got in UK you will never persuade anyone including me she was not best thing that happened in UK for centuries. Its same with many/most of Issan and rest and they will never go against Taksin or most of them. They are totally and utterly brainwashed and sorry to say IMO don't deserve a vote not because they are stupid just totally uneducated and manipulated beyond belief.

Interesting times ahead, who will be coming to Bangkok next,

the Red hoards from Isan and the North,in support of the

Government or demanding payment for their rice,the

Government better find some money quick, as I feel Thais

will be more angry about not getting their money than any

Democracy.

Has the PM got her bags packed ,waiting at the front door,

ready for a quick get away to airport !

regards Worgeordie

"Leaving On A Jet Plane"

All my bags are packed, I'm ready to go

I'm standin' here outside your door

I hate too much, to get caught, to say goodbye

But the dawn is breakin', it's early morn

The taxi's waitin', he's blowin' his horn

Already I regret almost every lie

So kiss me and smile for me

Say you still believe in me

I've got your cash and now I'm gonna' go

'Cause I'm leaving on a jet plane

I don't know when I'll be back again

Oh, babe, I hate you so

There's so many times I've let you down

So many times I've played around

I'll tell you now, that you don't mean a thing

Every place I go, I think of you

Every song I sing, I feel so blue

cause I can't come back and my brother won't be king

So kiss me and smile for me

Oh, babe, I hate you so

Now the time has come to leave you

One more time, let me deceive you

And close your eyes and I'll be on my way

Dream about the days to come

When I won't have to leave alone

About the times that I won't have to say ...

Oh, kiss me and smile for me

Oh, babe, I hate you so

And I'm leaving on a jet plane

Oh, babe, I hate you so

But I'm leaving on a jet plane

(Ah ah ah ah)

Leaving on a jet plane

(Ah ah ah ah)

Leaving on a jet plane

(Ah ah ah ah)

Leaving on a jet plane

(Ah ah ah ah)

Leaving on a jet plane

(Ah ah ah ah)

Leaving on a jet plane

(Ah ah ah ah)

Leaving on a jet plane

(Ah ah ah ah)

Leaving on a jet plane

(Ah ah ah ah)

(Leaving) On a jet plane

• Like 1

If they do indeed kick this government out then they will most likely never get paid because no government no payments, plus if a new group get in perhaps sometime this year, like the Dems for instance, the farmers will lose as the Dems will simply say the rice game was nothing to do with them so they won't give the farmers anything. Punishment for being red.

The farmers need to keep this government alive and well to ensure payment.

I heard that the real estate people from Phuket, Samui and Pattaya are going to march on Bangkok too and the timeshare lads will follow in support if they get a new passport to replace the one with 7 year overstay! (maybe not the ones from Pattaya as their walking sticks and wheel chairs can't nevigate the pathways)

Hypothetical: If the Democrats happened to get in at the next election (or via a coup or whatever), are they obliged to pay the farmers?

I would say no because the scheme is between the farmers and this government, a new different government is not liable for the mistakes of its predecessor (and enemy) in this domestic issue. And if the army take over, then no way they would go around handing out money, everything would be shut tight.

anti corruption protesters to be joined by protesters upset because they are not benefiting from corruption... blink.png

government subsides on 'important' crops/products (like wool in Australia in 90s) is pretty commonplace.

the farmers where told they would be paid for their rice at fixed rate, they should be upset.

if this (now caretaker) government had had any logical election policies/promises they would not be in this position.

Maybe they won't have to march after all. My family from Ubon just called and said they have received their rice payment this afternoon and their uncle in Buriram had also received it this morning. If you have family members in the North or Northeast, check with them and have them go ask at the office, most probably the payments are now ready to be claimed. Good news indeed.

Interesting times ahead, who will be coming to Bangkok next,

the Red hoards from Isan and the North,in support of the

Government or demanding payment for their rice,the

Government better find some money quick, as I feel Thais

will be more angry about not getting their money than any

Democracy.

Has the PM got her bags packed ,waiting at the front door,

ready for a quick get away to airport !

regards Worgeordie

Probably why the reds want to close the Airport,

you can fool the people some of the time,

just can't fool them all of the time.

Hypothetical: If the Democrats happened to get in at the next election (or via a coup or whatever), are they obliged to pay the farmers?

I imagine they would be because it is a contract between the farmers and the country.

Not between the farmers and a particular political party.

Regardless of who instigated it, it was voted for and passed in parliament, that some of the parties or individuals voted against it would make no difference to that.

The problem a new Govt will have is finding the money to pay the farmers whoever that Govt is.

Actually this is a great opportunity for Thaksin to step up and say he will pay the farmers out of his own pocket because it is the dastardly Dems who have stuffed things up and he can not stand by and see the farmers suffer.

He would again be the hero and savior who was the only one who would come to the farmers aid in their time of need.

That he created that need would be lost in the PR hype.

Of course it would only be a loan which would have to be paid back with interest once the 2.2 trillion was secured, but no one need know that.

I would say no because the scheme is between the farmers and this government, a new different government is not liable for the mistakes of its predecessor (and enemy) in this domestic issue. And if the army take over, then no way they would go around handing out money, everything would be shut tight.

If that were the case, nobody would ever lend money to a nation-state.

"Whoops, sorry, this bond you are holding was issued by the previous government, nothing to do with me!" It's been tried before, but it just doesn't work that way. The Thai government is the Thai government, no matter who happens to be PM at any particular time.

The only thing I could see happening is the NACC finding the whole rice scheme illegal and void, that may void some of the obligations. If they do, why did they wait 2 whole years to announce that? Even so, I don't think they'd have legal basis for denying the farmers compensation.

anti corruption protesters to be joined by protesters upset because they are not benefiting from corruption... blink.png.pagespeed.ce.AQgCnSOpp_.png

How do you work out that the farmers have benefited from corruption ?

The farmers kept their part of the bargain, they produced and sold the rice to the Govt then found the Govt had no money to pay them because of the Govt corruption.

I would say yes it is a contract between the Thai government and the farmers for this crop . Future crops would be a different matter. If that was the case all pending "contracts " like the "million tonne " rice sale and everything else the current government signed could be cancelled I just doubt it . I think it would be somewhere in the constitution , something to do with continuation of supply but it is really only speculation on my behalf .

Even the poor farmers you claim to be helping and who supposedly love you are now calling for your head. Yingluck, PTP, Shinawatras, it's time to go.

This further action is just another reminder to the P.M. but I suppose some will again blame Suthep for agrannoying - I love this word.

And folks the next lot will be the 1 million plus new car buyers last year who have not received their tax refund that was promised after 1 year.....I'm one of them !!!

They should demand EC commissioners pay them instead of the caretaker government. EC commissioners stopped their payments not the government. It is an ongoing scheme and the commissioners sabotaged it. Send from my Mobile

Brilliant...