Samsung Nexus 10

seedy

Just received my new tablet, bought thru Shop at 7 dot com. 7900 Baht. 16GB

Ordered Tuesday afternoon, delivered CNX today at noon.

Early days yet but impressed so far.

Google Nexus 10 was almost twice the $$$ in 'The Colonies'

http://www.shopat7.com/index.php?lay=show&ac=cat_show_pro_detail&pid=276960

A lot of people, on Thai social media, are complaining about the quality on these units. It seems like they were dumped here, from who knows where, some speculate factory refurbs, or units out of spec that were supposed to be scrapped.

I was looking at getting one during my visit to the U.S. a few weeks ago - there are a fair amount on eBay for $400 (16 GB) - but I decided to wait.

That said, this unit has been sold out on the U.S. Play Store for months, and there is no real news on a replacement? Maybe something announced at MWC in Feb.?

Never heard that - but you never know.

Comes with a warranty, will post if any problems arise.

Waited for a year to buy a Google Nexus 10, but kept putting it off. Now I know why - if this tablet "Keeps On Keepin' On" will be a good buy.

Not wanting to advertise, but I bought this http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/iRulu-10-1-Android-4-2-Dual-Core-Tablet-PC-8GB-Dual-Cam-w-10-Keyboard-/390706968362?pt=AU_Tablets&hash=item5af7f3372a&_uhb=1 two months ago. For $155 ~ 4,500 baht, my unit had a 32Gb microflash card thrown in. Postage to Thailand would have been extra $2-3.

So there are some bargains to be had out there... Cheers, AA

Not wanting to advertise, but I bought this http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/iRulu-10-1-Android-4-2-Dual-Core-Tablet-PC-8GB-Dual-Cam-w-10-Keyboard-/390706968362?pt=AU_Tablets&hash=item5af7f3372a&_uhb=1 two months ago. For $155 ~ 4,500 baht, my unit had a 32Gb microflash card thrown in. Postage to Thailand would have been extra $2-3.

So there are some bargains to be had out there... Cheers, AA

Are you sure the link is correct, I clicked on the Ebay link, and I get a page showing some strange contraption:

iRulu 10.1" Android 4.2 Jelly Bean Tablet PC Dual Core 8GB 1.5GHz

Dual Cam HDMI Bundle Keyboard Case & Earphones

It does not look anything like Samsung Nexus 10.

Prolly wrong link.

The Nexus 10 (GT-P8110) was only available as a WiFi-only variant (16 or 32 GB), and there was no 3G variant.

For those instances where one does not have WiFi, most people utilize the "portable hotspot" feature of their phone to "share" the 3G connection to the WiFi-only tablet via WiFi.

I did consider one of these 7,990 N10 units but a few Thai colleagues advised that there were a lot of issues with failed units not being refunded, repaired or replaced so I chose not to take the risk. It's a great unit, and I am still thinking about risking it. The display is incredible - friends in the U.S. have these, and I was hoping to get one of theirs when the new N10 came out, but that's looking less and less likely right now. No one even knows who - Samsung, Asus, LG - might even make the new N10.

The N10 has been sold out on the U.S. Play Store for a long time, and there are no plans to re-stock.

Never heard that - but you never know.

Comes with a warranty, will post if any problems arise.

Waited for a year to buy a Google Nexus 10, but kept putting it off. Now I know why - if this tablet "Keeps On Keepin' On" will be a good buy.

Keep us posted on how things are going with your Nexus 10. For the price, it is a very nice tablet spec-wise. The only issue I see is the processor being a little slow. How are the lag times? Is screen transition smooth?

I really want a 8 inch table but for the price, this Nexus 10 is hard to beat in Bangkok. I would assume the new Samsung Tablet I want will be at least twice this price.

Bought an OTG cable today, downloaded Nexus Media Importer app, hooked up 4TB external powered HDD and video played well.

Screen resolution beautiful.

Will go shop for a micro HDMI to HDMI cable tomorrow, and a powered USB hub to see if my Seagate portable HDD will play as well.

Then can travel with 1TB video and hook up to hotel TV without lugging around a 17" laptop.

Bought an external powered USB as could not get memory sticks to play by themselves via OTG cable alone.

Now they play just fine but ...

Anyone know why my Seagate portable HDD will not connect to the tablet ??

Thanks

Edited by seedy

Update. Got an email back from Seagate. They have no app to allow the use of Backup Plus portable HDD with a tablet.

They did say that they have a wireless model out, and have an app to allow this to be used.

USB memory sticks work with a powered USB hub, as do SD card reader - but you have to download the SD contents to the tablet to allow you to view the video.

Oh well - will see what Hitachi and WD have to offer in WIFI portable HDD.

The search continues.

Update. Got an email back from Seagate. They have no app to allow the use of Backup Plus portable HDD with a tablet.

They did say that they have a wireless model out, and have an app to allow this to be used.

USB memory sticks work with a powered USB hub, as do SD card reader - but you have to download the SD contents to the tablet to allow you to view the video.

Oh well - will see what Hitachi and WD have to offer in WIFI portable HDD.

The search continues.

Don't buy Seagate.. they have firmware and header issues.

• 2 weeks later...

FYI - If anyone is interested in buying one of these Nexus 10 tablets, JIB is selling them at the Mobile Fair at Queen Sirikit NCC in Bangkok this weekend. They are going for the same price as listed above (7,900 Baht). The tablets are on display so you can handle them and check them out. I would say it is quite the deal for a 10 inch Android tablet with that type of specs. I almost bought one but I am waiting on the new Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 8.3.

Went to the Mobile Fair Saturday. JIB said they sold 40 on Friday, and only had 30 left.

They offered a 200 THB discount and a free car charger.

Bought one for me and one for a friend.

Been playing with mine for a few hours, and it's a nice little unit. Very happy with it so far.

I bought one 6 weeks ago.....nice unit.

On boot up I am getting irritating flashing lights on the bottom of the screen.

After days of pressing Google Support for an explanation they finally admitted it is not normal and for any repairs I would have to contact the manufacture.

I was actually considering buying a second one........

See how much satisfaction I get when I go to Samsung Service tomorrow......

Will keep you posted...

sanuk

Went to the Mobile Fair Saturday. JIB said they sold 40 on Friday, and only had 30 left.

Been playing with mine for a few hours, and it's a nice little unit. Very happy with it so far.

Is the operating system as advertised-Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean?

Can you upgrade for free to 4.4 Kitkat?

If so, how do you upgrade? I am not a techie.

Any update on how you like the tablet?

Thank you for your time and help.

Is the operating system as advertised-Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean?

Can you upgrade for free to 4.4 Kitkat?

If so, how do you upgrade? I am not a techie.

Any update on how you like the tablet?

Thank you for your time and help.

As Seedy said, upon connection to the Internet or Play Store (I forget which) the Nexus 10 automatically upgraded to Android 4.4.2, which I believe is indeed Kit-Kat.

I like it a lot. Installed Eva along with SVOX Victoria TTS last night and it works like a charm.

The Nexus easily connects to my other devices, and Tasker was a snap to set up.

GPS seems more accurate than the Samsung Galaxy S3,and it's a joy to use the navigation on the big screen.

Only downside so far is that it takes a long time to charge the battery;then again, the Nexus has a much larger battery than my other Samsung devices.

Really couldn't be more happy with the unit. Thinking about buying a third for the daughter.

Good luck!

After days of pressing Google Support for an explanation they finally admitted it is not normal and for any repairs I would have to contact the manufacture.

Will keep you posted...

sanuk

My Nexus 10 was a novelty at the Phuket Samsung Service Centre today as they had not seen one before......

So I was surprised when they told me they would fix it themselves and not send it to Bangkok.

They will contact me in a week when it is repaired and ready to be picked up.

I was spoiled with Acer last year when I had a failed laptop screen...they flew a replacement screen from Bangkok and it was ready to pick up the same day.

sanuk

My Nexus 10 was a novelty at the Phuket Samsung Service Centre today as they had not seen one before......

When I bought mine, went to the brand new Samsung shop in Central Festival to shop for a case.

Samsung Nexus 10 ??? Never heard of it !!!

Will keep you posted...

sanuk

So I was surprised when they told me they would fix it themselves and not send it to Bangkok.

They will contact me in a week when it is repaired and ready to be picked up.

I was spoiled with Acer last year when I had a failed laptop screen...they flew a replacement screen from Bangkok and it was ready to pick up the same day.

sanuk

You were lucky with that Acer.. took them 7 days to repair mine. And that was main service center in Bkk.

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I bought a 2012 model Asus/Google Nexus 7, 32gb, and I love the thing. Am going to the US soon and have waiting for me the 2013 model, which sounds more refined, and has a camera on the rear side. Have read and enjoyed several ebooks on it, and it makes a very good Skype calling platform.

That Nexus 10 sounds like a nice unit. I can't figure out the Google/Asus/Samsung thing. Does it matter? I'm sure I will buy one before long.