All-new Altis hits the road

bazmlb

Amazing how in 2013 they still insist on fitting only 2 airbags....Goes to show how much they give a crap about safety. About time the government steps in and ups the legislation. Oh wait, they are still busy kissing car manufacturers butts here....

• Like 1

While it's not my car of choice, the 1.8 G has been already briefly tested by headlightmag. While the review is in Thai, it seems they were very surprised about the.. yes.. performance of the car, clocking 9.18 for 0-100 km/h and 6.68 sec for 80-120 km/h, this Altis is, according to their test results, quicker than a BMW 320d (F30) Not bad for a 140 HP car with scooter transmission

• Like 2

Altis drivers will be happy but it's hard to believe the Altis is faster when BMW and others claim 0 - 100 in 7.4 sec for the 320D.

The BM is 200 kg heavier but has a lot more torque and 40 more hp => better power to weight. Maybe Jimmy's 320D is a bit slow.

Altis drivers will be happy but it's hard to believe the Altis is faster when BMW and others claim 0 - 100 in 7.4 sec for the 320D.

The BM is 200 kg heavier but has a lot more torque and 40 more hp => better power to weight. Maybe Jimmy's 320D is a bit slow.

Benzine V Sludge perhaps.cheesy.gif

Jimmy himself probably also should change some of his eating habits..whistling.gif

Anyhow, still pretty good for a 900K car..

2013_03_15_BMW_320d_F30_F31_Engine_05_Ji

2013_03_15_BMW_320d_F30_F31_Data1.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

just test drived the 1.8 E SPORT and I am pretty impressed, very stiff driving, good engine power (better than my Accord 2.0), great inside space and of course sportive and youn design and especially the white pearl color - but onlu 2 airbags, no rear camera and/or sensors and no cruise control made me wondering for a car in 2014, but 909k is stiil a good value... just learned that even the new Honda City has all those missing features for 750K .....

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just rode in a new Corolla Taxi for a pretty long ride, including on the tollway. I was very impressed with this new car, and got into a long discussion with the taxi driver about it. It's noticeably quieter than the previous generation and the ride is closer to an Accord or Camry now. There is more interior room, and the interior finish is nice, and redesigned cockpit, with upscale look to it. It did not seem like this car was a taxi. Of course, it had the vinyl seat covers, but with nice seats it would have an upscale feel.

If I were looking for the cheapest running costs in a fairly nice C segment nearly midsize sedan (saloon), the CNG 1.6 Corolla Altis would be it, even though they will be the new taxis.

Both slower than a Civic.

Neither a Civic 2.0 nor an Altis 2.0 and for sure not the 1.8 have more performance than a 320d.......these 9,26 secs for the 320d? Naaahhh. There are more tests and videos everywhere that will support the average 0-100 to 7,x-8.0 sec. In my 320d , the tailgating Camry, Altis, Civic couldn´t catch up when I pushed it.

Biggest advantage of the 320d is it´s massive amount of torque, always ready. You´ll need to rev. the Civic or Altis until you´ll have power. In an everyday situation the 320d will ALWAYS provide more power faster than a 1.8 or 2.0 Altis, everything else would be a miracle. The only question is if this little advantage is worth 1.xxx.xxx sad.png Damn tax and greedy BMW. The Focus Tdci Ford used to sell here would have been a nice alternative in this price range, but the new one doesn´t have a diesel anymore. Too expensive or Thais don´t like Diesels, dunno.

The Civic or Altis do well though, I agree. Could drive both as 2.0l, and they are way better than the Mitsu Lancer 2.0 for example. I think the new Altis is a good choice and I like it more than the old one. Maybe I´ll have a chance to drive the new one someday, I´ll try to get one when I need a rental car for my next holidays.

My wife has one for a month now, loves it. I agree it looks like a new civic and it is fast enough for BKK. We only needed a safe reliable nice car and that's what she has now.

Love the radiocontrol on the wheel, it has sensors for driving reverse, automatic folding mirrors, cng, airbags, everything is perfect so far. We just got an anthi-theft lock installed. No heater.

It's not a racing car, good luck on racing in BKK thumbsup.gif anyway. On CNG the engine sounds weird though but that seems to be normal.

The CNG tank takes a lot of space but this car drives cheaper then my motorbike who drives 52 km a litre.

Only bad thing about this car is that for tall persons you can't put your arm on the armrest in the door. The door is to small for that.

Taxi's get a different car though, they get 15 inch rims , don't ask me why, must be cheaper i guess.

Edited by namdocmai
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

just test drived the 1.8 E SPORT and I am pretty impressed, very stiff driving, good engine power (better than my Accord 2.0), great inside space and of course sportive and youn design and especially the white pearl color - but onlu 2 airbags, no rear camera and/or sensors and no cruise control made me wondering for a car in 2014, but 909k is stiil a good value... just learned that even the new Honda City has all those missing features for 750K .....

Got my new Altis 1.8 ESPORT last week, have already 700km and are very satisfied - great looks, fantastic LED lights, very smooth driving, great CVT and suspension, very low noise level, AC very fast and freezing and good/low gasoline consumption with 8l/100km. Only one rather dislike - the speaker are very poor in sound quality, so I might will upgrade those soon,

Cheers Mr.J

post-138940-0-03991400-1395744459_thumb.

• Like 1

LED-lights? I didn't see them yet, will check tonite.

I don't like the aircon of the Altis. It always blows in my face and feet and sometimes i feel a warm breeze coming by from the dashboard.

When the aircon is turned at the windscreen it doesn't cool around me very well. And if you let it blow out of the dash it blows to hard so my eyes start tearing.

There should be a mode where the aircon can blow out of all openings at the same time but that's not possible.

Do you like the aircon?

For the rest it is a great car. perfect.

I don't like the aircon of the Altis. It always blows in my face and feet and sometimes i feel a warm breeze coming by from the dashboard.

When the aircon is turned at the windscreen it doesn't cool around me very well. And if you let it blow out of the dash it blows to hard so my eyes start tearing.

There should be a mode where the aircon can blow out of all openings at the same time but that's not possible.

Do you like the aircon?

LED light s coming only with the 1.8 S ESport 899K and to top 1.8 V 1.069 MTHB, the AC is fine just need to redirect the streamers not to blow direct to you..............tomorrow heading to Koh Chang and looking forward for the ride :-)

Do you like the aircon?

LED light s coming only with the 1.8 S ESport 899K and to top 1.8 V 1.069 MTHB, the AC is fine just need to redirect the streamers not to blow direct to you..............tomorrow heading to Koh Chang and looking forward for the ride :-)

Yes we don't have LED lights. I keep on directing the streamers and just miss a position where they can blow all together.

Have fun on kohchang and don't park under a palmtree with coconuts.

Do you like the aircon?

Yes we don't have LED lights. I keep on directing the streamers and just miss a position where they can blow all together.

Have fun on kohchang and don't park under a palmtree with coconuts.

Wow,there is so many ways to re-direct/adjust the AC flow...if you can't,put on your sun shades/glasses... smile.pngwink.png