Unfair Pricing

Misplaced

im glad you find it amusing....

It does however directly contradict what you stated earlier about prices being hidden...

I am afraid to say that even though you must see this as there way of hiding the truth, i simply see it as a board with prices in Thai and English...

I guess if they wanted to be even more racist than some people think they already are they would display all prices in english to really rub it in...

Im not sure what evidence i am trying to discredit marco, please let me know...am i trying to discredit racism that i really dont believe is there or am i trying to discredit the dual pricing that is "hidden" but we all know about...

What evidence is this..please let me in...

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At least the double prizing here is relatively minor compared to some other countries, such as China, where you simply cannot avoid it.

This is nonsense. The Chinese government abolished dual pricing some years. Foreigners now pay exactly the same price as locals to enter parks, museums, national monuments etc, and for transportation and hotels. I am often given discounts here by local tradespeople, simply because of my white face. That almost never happened in Thailand. I don't deny that some traders will attempt to overcharge foreigners, but they do this with other Chinese too, particularly those from another city or province or speakers of other dialects.

Really?

That is definately nice. I haven't been in China in a while.

Are foreigners still barred from the cheaper and far more interesting local hotels, or do we still have to stay in the more expensive hotels?

That would be too good to be true.

That leaves then India...

Yup the average tourist if fully aware of the double price... because it's well written at the entrance of any park/attraction/hotel/whatever ...helloooo
EXACTLY...but you said before it was hidden most of the time.?????? Why the change of mind??

:D:D The Thai price is writen in Thai numerals ,they do this so that the tourist won't cause a fuss over the dual pricing........ :D

You must be kidding? Every park, every temple, every event I've been to, the price is never written in Thai numerals. May be you had 1 too many Chang to see that eh'? :o

Actually there is, just not at national parks

OK I'll concede on that point ,anything for a fast Baht. :D

So your saying it only applied to whites and not to anyone else?? not blacks or other asians??

No it applies to anyone who doesn't look Thai...thats the whole problem.

You mean like in this picture right? :D

tricky.jpg

If you think a tourist wont be pissed off about this crap, think twice!

Yup you got me there! that look like a legitimate sign. Written on a chalk board, sitting outside to endure the rain and the weather :D

BTW, didn't you people noticed the OP is Thai? So how is it racial when it happens to a Thai?. Seems to me it happens to anyone with money!

Edited by OZONE

the prices (and signage) at Baan Sai Royal Arts and Crafts place near Ayutthya is in Thai for prices (Thai #'s for Thais) and Arabic #'s for tourists

strangely when I walked up and paid for tickets and asked in Thai and gave exact change for 2 adult Thais ... they handed me the tickets :o

Lol yes that's a manipulated picture...roflmaoooo . Never heard of buildings where it doesn't rain inside lol

I have just an answer for you two guys.

The Thai government and some greedy bastard just loves people like you. Glad to be farked . I bet they have a tshirt like that, somewhere at MBK.

Amazing Thailand :o

Lol yes that's a manipulated picture...roflmaoooo . Never heard of buildings where it doesn't rain inside lol

I have just an answer for you two guys.

The Thai government and some greedy bastard just loves people like you. Glad to be farked . I bet they have a tshirt like that, somewhere at MBK.

Amazing Thailand :o

don't balme everyone else for your naivety. If you are excessively getting overcharged every where you go in Thailand, seems to me you are the one with a sticker on your forhead saying "screw me" :D:D:D

Edited by OZONE

the prices (and signage) at Baan Sai Royal Arts and Crafts place near Ayutthya is in Thai for prices (Thai #'s for Thais) and Arabic #'s for tourists

I suppose it's just possible that these places are arty/conservative/anti-Western enough that they naturally use the Thai numbers.

As to the Sukhothai prices - last time I went (a fair few years back) prices were shown for Thais, but when I went to pay for my fiancée I was told that Thais went free! I paid for the all sites' ticket, which was a mistake - Sri Satchanalai was free for everyone! It was at the new year, and there were no staff to collect entrance fees!

strangely when I walked up and paid for tickets and asked in Thai and gave exact change for 2 adult Thais ... they handed me the tickets

My wife has got me off paying the farang price on the grounds that I speak Thai! It may have had more to do with the fact that she was indignant enough at the farang price that she came close to turning round and going home - and I was the only full farang in the party of five.

the flaming picks up and the roundabout and the roundabout discussion just keeps on going round and round.....

nearly 250 posts on 17 pages... keep it going, guys...

almost there...

Ah... the unfair pricing topic.. always a long runner.. nothing new ever gets said though.. :o

totster :D

Since I was the creator of this topic, may I ask the moderator to close this topic please. It's really getting to be a patheticly useless thread.

Thanks GuestHouse for introducing me to www.fairprice-Thailand.org. Its truly a useful website.

16 pages of this and the dogooders are still none the wiser that when they happily hand over their easy dosh thinking that they are doing the country a favour, the recpients of this hidious injustice are laughing their tits off at their ineptness and thinking, STUPID FARANG. :o

Inspired! :D

I agree that a lot of Chineese places don't have dual pricing. They have only one price, foreigner price. A lot of places are priced way outside what a normal Chineese could afford, at least in thailand they price it so the less unfortunate can still use the facilities.

Personally I'm very happy with dual pricing as I know that nearly all countries without dual pricing are much more expensive to live in, as long as we have dual pricing here it's a cheap place to live in :-)

Since you people are so keen at trying to fight racism(which yourselves try to associate everything with), why don't you go back to your own countries and ask your governments to let anyone in the world to be able to just walk into or move to live in your countries whenever they like? Aren't your countries racist?

As for racism, don't tell me there is no racism in england. The few times I was in the UK, I noticed most black people were very nervous.

Since you people are so keen at trying to fight racism(which yourselves try to associate everything with), why don't you go back to your own countries and ask your governments to let anyone in the world to be able to just walk into or move to live in your countries whenever they like? Aren't your countries racist?

As for racism, don't tell me there is no racism in england. The few times I was in the UK, I noticed most black people were very nervous.

Thai's can come and live in my country and pay what the locals pay, buy and OWN a house, buy land, get citizenship blah, blah, ad nauseum, and, furthermore, they let in tens of thousands of immigrants year in, year out from all four corners of the globe with the keys to a property and money in their sky rocket, so don't come out with crap like that.

As for the last comment, when were you last in the UK, 1960 :o

Thai's can come and live in my country and pay what the locals pay, buy and OWN a house, buy land, get citizenship blah, blah, ad nauseum, and, furthermore, they let in tens of thousands of immigrants year in, year out from all four corners of the globe with the keys to a property and money in their sky rocket, so don't come out with crap like that.
Are you being honest here to say that? You mean they can just buy a ticket and fly in? Tell me how my sister in law can go to the UK to earn british pounds. So she doesn't have to work 14hrs a day making 5000baht a month.
As for the last comment, when were you last in the UK, 1960
Do you have black people as friends in the UK? Really good friends? Try to ask them about it. But I doubt they are going to tell you their true feelings. Well I'm not sure, it's just observation again.

Is it racism when there is an unspoken cultural prohibition against marriage outside of ones race?

Is it racism when there is a cultural preference for skin color and facial structure?

If you recorded all the jobs paying above 6 figures and one race had 95% of those jobs but only 80% of the population would that be racist?

If you totaled the ruling governments and one race had 98% of the elected offices but only 80% of the population would that be racist?

16 pages of this and the dogooders are still none the wiser that when they happily hand over their easy dosh thinking that they are doing the country a favour, the recpients of this hidious injustice are laughing their tits off at their ineptness and thinking, STUPID FARANG. :o

If foreigners did not come to Thailand, would the prices remain low for Thais? Would the Thai economy be able to support itself solely upon Thai wages? Methinks not.

The 'dual pricing' ploy is obviously a way of 'cashing in' on a given import...tourists. May I suggest that 'dual pricing' be allowed to remain for this purpose only (tourism). If one holds a working visa or the like, then one need only pay the 'non tourist' price (THai price) for anything...or is this possible solution too simple? I'm sure if the government (what government?) had any balls, it would certainly invoke this system.

If done in this fashion, I think it would be ok.

If the policy discrimates on the basis of Race, it is a racist policy.

However, it is a leap of logic to then claim that the people who work under the policy are themselves Racist.

If such a racist policy is in place, it will be easily overcome. What if someone 'looks' asian (Thai) & also speaks fluent Thai BUT is not Thai? And if words are not required in a monetary transaction, then racial discrimination could be falsely implemented. This is an obvious flaw in the money making ploy of such a policy. The REAL test in this situation would be a demanded inspection of everyones passport for every monetary transaction.

The only real victims in this case would be the 'white' people or possibly non FLUENT Thai speaking people.

Edited by elkangorito

wow ... people actually skip the National Parks in Thailand because they have to pay 200 baht?

They sure do miss alot by being cheap!

However I DO pass on going to for profit businesses that have pricing differences :o

Not because its 200 baht, but because foreigners have to pay 10 times the local price.

Everglades national Park is 10 usd for one car one week, that's fair, Thai national parks entrance fees are not, that's why I don't visit them.

Any place in Thailand that does not give me satisfaction does not get my repeat business, that's a golden rule, and yes there are good places.

wow ... people actually skip the National Parks in Thailand because they have to pay 200 baht?

They sure do miss alot by being cheap!

However I DO pass on going to for profit businesses that have pricing differences :D

Not because its 200 baht, but because foreigners have to pay 10 times the local price.

Everglades national Park is 10 usd for one car one week, that's fair, Thai national parks entrance fees are not, that's why I don't visit them.

Any place in Thailand that does not give me satisfaction does not get my repeat business, that's a golden rule, and yes there are good places.

Yup, they really gonna miss your business :o . The only person loosing out is you, so keep at it.

:o

Be interest to hear of how many people on here have to send the missus in to get a price or a quote for something, i bet im not alone

Whenever my wife (Thai) is looking for shoes or whatever I always amble of in a detached manner.

We have experienced undiguised annoyance by vendors if they later see us together but mostly the see the joke and give a wry smile.

This is my first post just like to say I love Thailand !

If foreigners did not come to Thailand, would the prices remain low for Thais? Would the Thai economy be able to support itself solely upon Thai wages? Methinks not.

The 'dual pricing' ploy is obviously a way of 'cashing in' on a given import...tourists. May I suggest that 'dual pricing' be allowed to remain for this purpose only (tourism). If one holds a working visa or the like, then one need only pay the 'non tourist' price (THai price) for anything...or is this possible solution too simple? I'm sure if the government (what government?) had any balls, it would certainly invoke this system.

If done in this fashion, I think it would be ok.

foreigners did not come to Thailand,...according to TAT expected to be DOWN by over 3 million this year...

'cashing in' on a given import...tourists.....whatever you call it...Cutie little names like "duel cash pricing policies".....to...Thai Tourist & Visitors social benevolant funding for poor locals .....it comes down to straight forward ......Extortion/Robbery./Fraud....based on the assumption that..."You have money toooo much."............. :D

Steady on … its all getting a bit obscure.

I went to the Grand Palace with the Thai inlaws and was refused entry to the cheaper Thai entrance, the inlaws were terribly embarrassed and vigorously began arguing with the guard, an unhappy looking fellow who was becoming increasingly agitated and gesticulating wildly. Through all this the only thing I could think of was to smile (not very natural for me) equally vigoursly, this farang in the throes of rabies made them all stop and laugh. (and yes I had to use the other entrance)

Point being, all the generalising being thrown around obscures the fact that there often isn’t any deep seated thought behind dual pricing, it occurs everywhere and is mostly simply opportunistic (like purchasing cheap copied CD’s)

:D

Steady on … its all getting a bit obscure.

I went to the Grand Palace with the Thai inlaws and was refused entry to the cheaper Thai entrance, the inlaws were terribly embarrassed and vigorously began arguing with the guard, an unhappy looking fellow who was becoming increasingly agitated and gesticulating wildly. Through all this the only thing I could think of was to smile (not very natural for me) equally vigoursly, this farang in the throes of rabies made them all stop and laugh. (and yes I had to use the other entrance)

Point being, all the generalising being thrown around obscures the fact that there often isn’t any deep seated thought behind dual pricing, it occurs everywhere and is mostly simply opportunistic (like purchasing cheap copied CD’s)

Agree...they are not ALL a bunch of robbing baskits.....only some of "em........a lot of "em....in fact......... :o