Unfair Pricing

Misplaced

i got out of it twice.

once they tried to rip me at dreamworld on the outskirts of bangkok, but i told them i worked here and showed them my company ID and they let me in for Thai price.

the other time was at the Tiffany transvestite show in pattaya.

my wife (thai) and i tried to book at a travel agent shop and they tried to charge us both 800 baht. we would have paid but the show was about to start so we decided to get a baht bus and pay at the entrance if we made it in time.

we got to the ticket booth and the women asked for 1200 baht for two seats right at the front. i asked why it wasnt 1600 baht (as the shop had told us) and the women said it was 400 for my wife and 800 for me.

i told her (in thai) i worked here and showed her my company ID and she charged us both 400 baht.

when i took the tickets to the security on the stairs he looked at my ticket and asked my wife why i had a discounted one.

i said 'pom bpen kon thai' and smiled and he laughed and let us through.

when i came out he asked if i had enjoyed it (in thai) but i missed what he said and replied 'you what???' and he just started laughing :o

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the case of the National Parks, I think the dual pricing is justified and I support it 100%. In the USA they have similar pricing on state and city parks and I feel the same about that. Residents pay taxes and subsidize the parks that way and thus pay a cheaper entrance fee. Regarding the Ambassador; I lived there for a year and never ever saw any sign of what you are talking about but they have every right to do that anyhow. 2500 for the Tower Wing sounds about the right price as a walk in anyhow. That particular hotel has changed some of their policies in recent years however, such as the guest charge of 500-600 baht to bring ladies to your room. I think they are changing their prior image of catering to people like myself. I guarantee you this though, if I walked in there I would get red carpet treatment due to my being a loyal customer in the past. The owners of that hotel are hard line Chinese who have hard policies that are unbudgeable. The staff are very nice but are under constant stress of being scrutinized by some tough nosed owners. Give the staff there some understanding and a break

In the case of the National Parks, I think the dual pricing is justified and I support it 100%. In the USA they have similar pricing on state and city parks and I feel the same about that. Residents pay taxes and subsidize the parks that way and thus pay a cheaper entrance fee. Regarding the Ambassador; I lived there for a year and never ever saw any sign of what you are talking about but they have every right to do that anyhow. 2500 for the Tower Wing sounds about the right price as a walk in anyhow. That particular hotel has changed some of their policies in recent years however, such as the guest charge of 500-600 baht to bring ladies to your room. I think they are changing their prior image of catering to people like myself. I guarantee you this though, if I walked in there I would get red carpet treatment due to my being a loyal customer in the past. The owners of that hotel are hard line Chinese who have hard policies that are unbudgeable. The staff are very nice but are under constant stress of being scrutinized by some tough nosed owners. Give the staff there some understanding and a break

Crap answer.I pay tax and support a Thai family.If I can't get in at the Thai price, then I don't go.The policy is racist.End of story.They can go and have sex with themselves if they expect me to pay more. :o

Big jump from paying 100baht more to refugees swimming to Gibraltar and then saying it's the same . . .

I asked my brother in law, a research scientist at one of the top Universities in Thailand, who is well travelled, studied in the US and the UK etc . . . what his opinion is of the duality in pricing for foreigners and locals. he quite rughtly said that foreigners earned more and could afford it while locals generally earned less.

So I asked him if means-testing would be acceptable - say if someone drives up in a Merecdes or BMW, should he pay more?

Of course not . . .

Ok, if you came to my country would you accept paying more than the locals?

Of course not . . .

This is Thailand!

Go to a car dealership in the west and tell them you are a lawyer/doctor. I can assure you that you won't be able to bargin them down as much as a labourer, or retail clerk would.

cv

Big jump from paying 100baht more to refugees swimming to Gibraltar and then saying it's the same . . .

I asked my brother in law, a research scientist at one of the top Universities in Thailand, who is well travelled, studied in the US and the UK etc . . . what his opinion is of the duality in pricing for foreigners and locals. he quite rughtly said that foreigners earned more and could afford it while locals generally earned less.

So I asked him if means-testing would be acceptable - say if someone drives up in a Merecdes or BMW, should he pay more?

Of course not . . .

Ok, if you came to my country would you accept paying more than the locals?

Of course not . . .

This is Thailand!

Go to a car dealership in the west and tell them you are a lawyer/doctor. I can assure you that you won't be able to bargin them down as much as a labourer, or retail clerk would.

cv

I can't agree with this at all.A good car dealer will do what he can to get a deal, regardless of who is buying.To do otherwise is foolish.

go to an institute of higher education in the west ... in the US you pay higher rates if out of state ... and much higher if international

Same in Canada. Here the government pays around 50% of the costs of a university degree. A Thai, or other forgien student does not get this advantage, and pays way more than a resident/citizen.

cv

if its a few hundred baht i will pipe up but i can remember reading a stroy from some plum on stickman who moaned at a drink seller on the street that he was being charged 10 baht instead of 5 baht.

that kind of thing makes me sick. he managed to get the drink for 5 baht but so what??? did he think the seller had a BMW parked around the corner or what???? i'll pay more if it helps a genuine working class thai person making a living, but otherwise it's a no no

Cairns , Australia is a very popular tourist destination for both domestic and international visitors.

Wild World is an animal park situated behind the northern beaches and it also has a dual pricing scheme . If you are a local resident of Cairns you pay a reduced price to enter the park. Is this fair ?

http://www.wildworld.com.au/showtimes.htm

Ahhh... it's about time we had a new double-pricing thread... gotta be at least 6 weeks since the last one. :o

As for Stu's example, as it's not based on race, but instead is based on residency, it might construed as unfair, but at least it's not racist and is a policy that is certainly encountered in many other countries.

Thailand's policy is one of racism... and likely why it strikes a chord so strongly in so many people.

Based on Racism? SRJ? no .... it is based upon citizenship .... if you are a citizen ... (or in most cases even a resident paying taxes) you get the local rate (other Asians pay the non-Thai rate as well ....

Edited by jdinasia

Based on Racism? SRJ? no .... it is based upon citizenship .... if you are a citizen ... (or in most cases even a resident paying taxes) you get the local rate (other Asians pay the non-Thai rate as well ....

Not in reality, as I've witnessed countless times with Asians entering places and without speaking are charged the Thai price. Why? because they "looked" close enough to being Thai.

The charge is based upon looks...

I've entered many, many national parks in Thailand... and it's always just up to the gatekeeper.

More often than not, any form of ID (be it drivers license, etc.) other than a Thai National ID card results in the foreigner charge. A few of the parks do allow foreigners to enter at a Thai rate with a drivers license, etc. , but given the total number of national parks in the country, it's a small minority that do that.

Sorry... I could go on and elaborate more, but it would be repititious of quite a few earlier threads, so perhaps maybe I'll just look up an earlier response of mine and paste it here to expound.

Just to let people know its not all bad...when I went to the Phuket aquarium and waterfalls in nationalparks and other attractions of the same nature, being in a wheelchair I was never charged...always made me feel guilty then so made sure to put money into the collection box.

Also at the waterfall they let us drive the car all the way in up the path, everyone else had to leave their car/bike and walk...which was a good 500m or more.

In a similar manner at a view point on Phuket, there was a long walk up a steep road to get to it, but there was a barrier across the road to stop cars...too steep for my folks to push me so we didnt bother...anyway, just happend to pass it again one day and noticed the barrier was up and some military/police man was there...turns out some offical/vip was driving around up there...we went to drive up and we got stopped...explained the chair situation (even tho the guy didnt speak English) and he let us drive on and waited for us then closed the barrier when we left....had a number of good experiences with police/military over there, in fact most Thais...except Taxi drivers...90% of them were c*nts!

Great people!

if its a few hundred baht i will pipe up but i can remember reading a stroy from some plum on stickman who moaned at a drink seller on the street that he was being charged 10 baht instead of 5 baht.

that kind of thing makes me sick. he managed to get the drink for 5 baht but so what??? did he think the seller had a BMW parked around the corner or what???? i'll pay more if it helps a genuine working class thai person making a living, but otherwise it's a no no

Do you act accordingly in your own :o country?

National Parks nationwide have one price for foreigners and one price for Thai nationals.

Speaking good Thai and showing a student card or similar can sometimes help you get in at the Thai price.

A work permit most certainly does.

Since a Thai driving license usually (should) require a work permit, the driving license can also help.

(I dont like dual pricing at all, but the truth is that most Thais either do not care or think it is fair that foreigners who generally have more money than Thais, pay a higher price.)

If we avoid the places that charge us more, they will be forced to rethink. Vote with your feet.

Or if you think the policy is generally fair, or still believe 200 baht is not a lot of money, pay up and be happy. Whatever works for you. :o

You are correct Meadish, a Thai Driving License will avoid duel pricing (at least it does in CM) I speak enough Thai to be able to explain that I am not a "Tourist" but a "Resident"

However I still think it is a completely unfair policy

There is a great website where we can report those businesses who have dual pricing and the internet is a great tool for spreading info. It won't affect small businesses who aren't advertised much but it will put a damper on places like the Crocodile Farm. There is also a good one for teachers to watch out for bad schools.

I apologize... The task turned into a rather daunting one given the number of threads and the length of them on this often-discussed topic on racism and double-pricing.

A not-all-inclusive list for starters to peruse... Most likely, anything to be added in this will have been already covered in one or more of these:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=6012&hl=

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=777&hl=

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=8110&hl=

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=25027&hl=

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=52179&hl=

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=192&hl=

Edited by sriracha john

Sorry SRJ .... I absolutely do not see it as a Race issue ... just nationality (or yes ... perceived nationality)

If they know ANYONE is not a Thai they charge the foriegner rate. As for National parks ... almost all will let you pay the local rate with a taxpayer card or DL or work-permit ...

But like I said the one's that aggrevate me are the places like the Tiger Zoo or Croc Farm etc ... the big money makers!

Then there are some of the places that don't that amaze me! Dusit Zoo ... Khao Kioh Open Zoo etc ....

Arguing that certain countries - USA, Canada or wherever - have reduced rates for residents to a certain college or whatever just doesn't cut it. Yes, a Thai may pay more in this example as would any outsider, including own nationalities; but we're talking about a scam against a whole race...Westerners! It's got diddly squat to do with citizenship, it's a blatant way to rip Westerners off because of our perceived financial status. Regarding national parks, something like double the price for foreigners would make me think, fair enough, but at 10 times the rate!

Foreigners are never made to pay more, it is Thais that are paying a bit less.

Most of the places with dual pricing are built for the tourists and would not be there if they did not charge what they are charging tourists. They do, as a public service thing, let locals in for a lower fee. This will also create some extra revenue that will allow them to keep the normal entrance fee down.

To make this doable all foreigners are considered tourists and all Thais are considered locals. Tough luck for resident foreigners but sometimes you can get in for local price using a local drivers license.

As for venues paid for with tax money, like nature reserves, it's only fair that the taxpayers are getting a discount.

Most of the places with dual pricing are built for the tourists and would not be there if they did not charge what they are charging tourists. They do, as a public service thing, let locals in for a lower fee. This will also create some extra revenue that will allow them to keep the normal entrance fee down.

To make this doable all foreigners are considered tourists and all Thais are considered locals. Tough luck for resident foreigners but sometimes you can get in for local price using a local drivers license.

As for venues paid for with tax money, like nature reserves, it's only fair that the taxpayers are getting a discount.

very good post on explaining to cheapskates how this system works. :o

Though I would like to agree with you, I cannot. Wat Phra Kaow, Wat Po, Wat Doi Suthep, or Ayuthaya were certainly not built for tourists, and they would be there regardless of tourism. Places such as Dream World were not built entirely built for tourism either. During the times I've been there, there have been a small proportion of tourists, but the majority are locals or expats with their familes. The Insect Museum, Dusit Zoo, or the Suphan Buri Buffalo Village do attract some tourists, but overall, the locals are the largest majority of attendees. Though they are featured in TAT's brochures, that does not mean they were built or made for tourists.

I will agree that some places may have been built for tourism purposes, but I feel the majority of of the so-called "tourist hot spots" would be here regardless of tourism.

Frodo ... bad use of quoting .... you left out the next line that states places made with tax Money .....

plus Dusit Zoo does not have 2 tier pricing

Wat Pra Keow, Wat Po etc have very low admission fees for non-thais and it goes to staffing upkeep etc ...

I agree with the posters who say the dual pricing scheme is unfair; it's a rip off, plain and simple. It happens all over the world, not just in Thailand. Somebody mentioned that the Ambassador Hotel in Bangkok tried to rip them off and I'm not surprised. My parents didn't get ripped off when they stayed there because they booked through the internet which is probably the easiest way to avoid the hotels' scams. If enough people report these businesses for their unfair pricing, word will get out and those businesses will suffer. Eventually, they'll either end their unfair pricing or simply go out of business. If you speak some Thai, you can tell them where to go.

I'd also disagree with this - national parks, monuments, museums, temples etc were certainly not created/built for foreigners.

As for it not being racism as it is levied against all Thais . . . ? Of course it can be construed as racism - ask a Thai what race he/she is and the reply will be Thai - so they consider themselves a separate race, ergo sum = racist! :o

We get the same - my wife passes for a Thai, visually, and she gets the tickets for wherever we want to go.

All in all it is not a big deal, I just disagree with dual pricing.

So what is fair pricing?

To me fair pricing would be when I think that the work I have to do to earn the price I have to pay is worth it. It has nothing to do with what enyone else have to pay as their criterias are different.

I feel sorry for anyone who can not live with the fact that someone else is paying less than them for something as this is actually happening with everything you buy, no matter what you buy or pay for there is someone, somewhere paying less.

As for venues paid for with tax money, like nature reserves, it's only fair that the taxpayers are getting a discount

I'd also disagree with this - national parks, monuments, museums, temples etc were certainly not created/built for foreigners.

As for it not being racism as it is levied against all Thais . . . ? Of course it can be construed as racism - ask a Thai what race he/she is and the reply will be Thai - so they consider themselves a separate race, ergo sum = racist! :o

We get the same - my wife passes for a Thai, visually, and she gets the tickets for wherever we want to go.

All in all it is not a big deal, I just disagree with dual pricing.

Ugh ... Thailand is a people ... not a race ... They are asian .... DUH!

Note the misquoted section above ... bold ... big .....

I assume the poster above means levied against all foriegners not 'Thais'... how hard is it to see that the average foriegners do not pay income taxes here .. so PUBLIC tax paid dual tier pricing (while it sucks ...) makes sense ....

However those things like the Croc farm do NOT make sense ...I mostly give them a pass unless I can arrange tickets in advance for the local price. Still for those that are purely tourists ... I would hatte to miss all these often very cool things because of being CHEAP

Edited by jdinasia