Advice on how to stay in Thailand for 1 year

Hi,

I'm planning to come to Thailand in a few months and need some advice on the best Visa for my circumstances.

I am a OBIEE/Data warehousing consultant by profession and would like the option of trying to find employment whilst in Thailand, but I don't realistically know if this is going to happen. From my initial research it seems Thailand is almost a communist country with bizarre anti-foreigner laws. (No offence to anyone intended - just my opinion)

I've looked through the Thai Embassy website and have become a little disillusioned with the options available, so I'd appreciate someone with a little more experience offering some guidance. Looks like there could be a lot of hoops to jump through; so I would prefer the easiest option.

Thank you kindly!

A Triple entry tourist visa will give you almost 270 days, if used correctly, with 2 border runs and three 30 day extensions.

You could enroll in an approved school and get an ED visa. You could extend your permission to stay every 90 days as long as you have the paperwork from the school that shows that you are attending classes. Some courses are approved for 5 years. You'd have to pay for the course upfront, 20k - 25k baht, and the extensions are 1900 baht.

You could marry a Thai and get 1 year extensions of stay every yearw00t.gif.pagespeed.ce.fUUOmDCInI.gif !

If you come on a tourist visa and do find a job you will have to get a work permit and apply for a Non-B in a neighboring country. IMHO, most of the jobs here are English teachers unless your Company moves you here.

Just browse around and in less than 3 minutes you will learn all the details the only two possible options: Repeated (with limits) multiple-entry tourist visa, or Educational visa.

Employment in your field is nearly impossible.

A Triple entry tourist visa will give you almost 270 days, if used correctly, with 2 border runs and three 30 day extensions.

You could enroll in an approved school and get an ED visa. You could extend your permission to stay every 90 days as long as you have the paperwork from the school that shows that you are attending classes. Some courses are approved for 5 years. You'd have to pay for the course upfront, 20k - 25k baht, and the extensions are 1900 baht.

You could marry a Thai and get 1 year extensions of stay every yearxw00t.gif.pagespeed.ic.Fk8xTuMtRw.webp !

If you come on a tourist visa and do find a job you will have to get a work permit and apply for a Non-B in a neighboring country. IMHO, most of the jobs here are English teachers unless your Company moves you here.

Thank you for your reply!

So it is possible to switch to another visa if you come on a tourist visa? that's good to know.

I'm not sure if I'm ready to marry a Thai girl yet... But I'll hold onto that one. biggrin.png

The ED Visa sounds interesting... Do you have any experience with that? I'd wonder what kind of courses were available for people like us.

whistling.gif Not to be impolite, but learn the rules and then learn how to apply them here in Thailand.

Thousands of people have had to do it. Just realize that sometimes you've got to make sacrifices to get at least part of what you want.

You may even have to live outside of Thailand to earn a living, making do with periodic visits to Thailand until you can save enough funds and reach age 50 or have the financial independence to be able to live in Thailand without an outside income.

Good luck, but if you really want it, it is possible to do it.

This forum and especially the visa forum will start you with ideas and how it is possible to accomplish what you want..

But you'll have to make the sacrifices to get it done yourself.

Just realize that others have gone through the required hoops to accomplish what they wanted, and if you're willing you can also do it.

Didn't know there was a Triple Entry Tourist Visa, thought it was only a double + 30 day extension was available, so thank you.

I'm currently considering getting an ED Visa & was quoted 27k baht inc lessons. This can be extended with the appropriate documents for 5 years.

Edited by faraday

Yes, if the course is approved by the MOE for five years. But, the fees to the school are for one year so each year you have to cough up an additional fee(25k baht?) to the school for the next year in addition to the extensions every 90 days which cost 1900 baht.

As you say you want to live and work in thailand, just get a single or double entry tourist visa, which would allow up to 6 months stay in thailand. While you are here, conduct your job search (completely legal with a t-visa). If and when you find a job in your field, any legit employer can give you documentation to convert your t-visa to a business visa (either in country or a nearby thai consulate). Then you can return to thailand and apply for a work permit and off to work you go.

If you don't find suitable employment, you're free to return to kiwiland at any time. Doesn't sound too communistic to me.

A double entry TR + 30 extension equals 90 days..how does this become '6 months'?...unless there's a typo I'm becoming even more confused. 555

A DOUBLE entry tourist visa = 60+30 for the first entry and 60+30 for the second entry ! Total = 180 days possible stay !

Still confused ?

facepalm.gifwhistling.gif

What research leads you to believe that Thailand is almost a Communist Country ?

Sounds like a typical ill-informed TV comment equating protectionism (practiced to some extent by all countries) with ... ummm ... what's a nasty word ... ah yes, communism. You should fit right in here at the hub-of-illogical-opinions.

(No offence to anyone intended - just my opinion).

How open is NZ to itinerant Thais unable to find employment at home or looking for a cheap way to fund an extended holiday?

Why would you want to come to a place you've formed such a negative view of before even arriving?

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 1