Advice Needed To Import Decent German Wine To Thailand....

Mont Clair is pretty bad wine. It's cheap because they only import the juice, then ferment it here. So no import duty for the alcohol part. I get horrible headaches drinking it.

Pretty bad? That's being generous! There's probably a better use for it in an industrial waste processing site!

• Like 2

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mont Clair is pretty bad wine. It's cheap because they only import the juice, then ferment it here. So no import duty for the alcohol part. I get horrible headaches drinking it.

headaches are all right but after a half bottle and a few cans chang caused me to fall out of bed for the first time in 50 odd yrs knocked my front teeth through my top gum.didnt feel it till the morning.

cheap wines make a refreshing drink mixed with 50% soda and a shot of lime over crushed ice.

• Like 2

I gave up on importing wine. 400% is correct. That is why you can only buy plonk for under 1000 Baht. It is not about protecting the local wine makers that produce very drinkable wines. They also have to pay ad valorem tax, making their wines expensive. Thailand has no interest in supporting their own wine industry. Of course, wine would be healthier than other local produce. But the lobby for local rotten rum, whiskey and "cider" is too strong.

• Like 1

I gave up on importing wine. 400% is correct. That is why you can only buy plonk for under 1000 Baht. It is not about protecting the local wine makers that produce very drinkable wines. They also have to pay ad valorem tax, making their wines expensive. Thailand has no interest in supporting their own wine industry. Of course, wine would be healthier than other local produce. But the lobby for local rotten rum, whiskey and "cider" is too strong.

The lobby is that strong that they're trying to do all that you don't have a good wine here. Even my friend a lawyer couldn't tell me how much they'd take for a bottle in tax, Somtham money,cash for Mia Noi, and other utter nonsense.\

I'll only be successful, if my wife will do it in her name, as she's still got her maiden name. Then having some "powerful" people who know how to make impossible things easy.

Time for my "1976 Scheurebe, Iphoefer Kronsberg, Auslese" now. Reading through this thread made me understand how much people actually know about wine.

For those who don't know what a decent wine is, Google it.-coffee1.gif

forget it,aldi and lidl's are coming to Thailand.

That true? I've never heard of it before.

They won't be able to reduce the import duties though.

I had been watching that program"JUST KIDDING" we had a lidl store 100yds from us in the uk. my mrs.is a fully paid up member.

In the UK, you need to pay and become a member before you can go to Lidl? Must be quite an exclusive shop.

scnr

That might be the reason that they connected them via tunnel to be able to shop without being a member-w00t.gif

German wines are not sweet per se. Yes, some are, because they ought to be. They are unparalleled in their finesse and subtle sweetness and come in small bottles. Overcorrectness in labelling, with rules non-Germans could not grasp, have been tackled by new generations of wine makers. Modern German wine can be dry and very cool. Sometimes, it's just about branding.http://www.wine-pages.com/features/modern_german_wine.htm

It has not been decided,yet, if German Riesling or French Chardonnay is the Queen of white grapes. They are on par.

In Thailand,we have to scale down. Quality is not affordable. It will change. Wine drinking is the hippest thing amongst Bangkok yuppies.

• Like 1

Since september 2013 wines with wholesalevalue of 600 Baht or more are taxed with an additonal 36%.

So good wines become much more expensive.

someone mentioned icewine, well we sell it at about 1200 baht per bottle plus vat.

If you want to import you would need

Licence issued by Excise Dep

Registered office (no home address)

Registered company

Temperature controled storing (only a few available)

Forwarder who takes care of your incomming wines

Its not easy but it can be done.

• Like 1

i wouldn't say Thailand is a big wine drinking country .

My experience is that Thais mostly drink beer or spirits .

Wine is consumed more by foreigners and in restaurants .

I appreciate that you are proud of your regions excellent wine ,

but I would not think there is a great marketing prospect in Thailand .

• Like 1

Since september 2013 wines with wholesalevalue of 600 Baht or more are taxed with an additonal 36%.

So good wines become much more expensive.

someone mentioned icewine, well we sell it at about 1200 baht per bottle plus vat.

If you want to import you would need

Licence issued by Excise Dep

Registered office (no home address)

Registered company

Temperature controled storing (only a few available)

Forwarder who takes care of your incomming wines

Its not easy but it can be done.

You actually need a wholesale licence, a label licence, and an import licence. If you do retail, you also need a retail licence. These are from the Excise Department, and you can only apply for them if you have a properly registered company with VAT.

You need an approved storage location, but it does not need to be temperature controlled.

Just forget importing wine from Europe. I have been importing Italian wines through a friend, called Chalerm Yuvitscha. (Yes, owner of Red Bull) Luckely he took care of the import. He knew the ways. But expect to pay 300% import taxes on the purchase price plus shipping. Next to this, expect to pay bribes or all the bottles you receive are broken. It happened to me several times.

Also you must obtain an import license and make deposit to an import tax fund for luxury goods. Costs you about 2.000.000,- THB.

License must be renewed yearly, and is according to your anual turnover.

And for contacting Tesco Lotus, Seven Eleven, Big C. Just forget it. They will not do business with a farang. They will do business with a Thai. A good friend of me is purchase manager at Big C and he has orders from above only doing business with Thai or do direct imports.

post-197672-0-33160400-1390402821_thumb.

Edited by FredNL

Just forget importing wine from Europe. I have been importing Italian wines through a friend, called Chalerm Yuvitscha. (Yes, owner of Red Bull) Luckely he took care of the import. He knew the ways. But expect to pay 300% import taxes on the purchase price plus shipping. Next to this, expect to pay bribes or all the bottles you receive are broken. It happened to me several times.

Strange you can't even spell your " friends " name.

I think you do not know so much...

Do you think that most 7/11 in the country now sell cheap MONT CLAIR wine only to foreigners ?

More and more Thai want to drink wine and only the cheap price of whiskey push them to drink it most of the time.

An import license that costs 2 million baht?

Now I know it's not April 1st but damn, that sure as shit makes me think it is...

The fact you also name names (spelt incorrectly or otherwise) gives further credence that it is actually April 1st..

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Also you must obtain an import license and make deposit to an import tax fund for luxury goods. Costs you about 2.000.000,- THB.

License must be renewed yearly, and is according to your anual turnover.

And for contacting Tesco Lotus, Seven Eleven, Big C. Just forget it. They will not do business with a farang. They will do business with a Thai. A good friend of me is purchase manager at Big C and he has orders from above only doing business with Thai or do direct imports.

Thanks a lot and my deepest appreciation. In this forum are not just expats, also quite a few experts.

By the way, my wife still has her maiden name. Would never show that a farlang is doing business. Khop Khun La Lai........-wai2.gif

For the sake of perspective, where in Thailand do you live?

Edited by GrantSmith
  • Like 1

An import license that costs 2 million baht?

Now I know it's not April 1st but dam_n, that sure as shit makes me think it is...

The fact you also name names (spelt incorrectly or otherwise) gives further credence that it is actually April 1st..

The licences cost abot THB 3,000 each, plus handling fee for whoever arranges it for you.

The licences cost abot THB 3,000 each, plus handling fee for whoever arranges it for you.

I'm well versed in the costs involved, thanks ;)

Rather simple process really, couldn't think of a reason why I'd pay 'a guy' to do that ;)

Shipping on the other hand, different kettle of fish...

Most of my friends who are used to drink good wine in EU and California find it acceptable as a cheap wine for Thailand and can drink it without headaches as maybe thousands of people who buy it daily from 7/11...

"decent German wine" cheesy.gif is a favorite of the "military intelligence"clap2.gif

i love posts of guys like you who obviously know all about nothing.-coffee1.gif

the only good wine !

COBRA WINE

Sorry I couldn't put a photo by using DRAG and PASTE, is it possible or do we have to download a photo before we can add it to a post ?

5555+

No way, you seen recent reports of those cheeky bar stewards still being alive and biting the consumer!

:P