Poverty Amongst Farangs in Chiang Mai

sharktooth

Looking at some of the posts on here, is poverty a real problem with farangs here? No tipping, 20 baht whinges over some red car, common request for cheap services and the latest one... burning candles to keep warm. Are we living in the Middle Ages? The impression I get is that a lot of these folk are either poverty stricken, or tight as a gnats chuff?

• Like 1

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been pondering this myself lately...lots of posts about people having some sort of incident or another on baht buses and sorng toews makes me ask why don't these people just have a car? Can these people seriously not afford to own a car here? It's just 1-200k baht for something reliable enough, a couple of grand, who would come here to live and not be able to afford a car? Or a scooter even! (Although I can understand someone not knowing how to ride a scooter although it's not that different to a bicycle...) I'm not talking about tourists, I see guys walking out of my moo baan in the stinking heat or rain the 2-3 kilometres it takes to get to the main road and catch a bus full of poor locals to get pick pocketed and ripped off then cart all their shopping home later. (No doubt rifling through the specials bin at the supermarket :) )

• Like 2

The latter. After a year or two of living here a fair few, but by no means all, become obsessive about the cost of everything irrespective of how much money they have. It's a manifestation of Culture Shock, with a hint of Paranoia that leaves them feeling that everyone is out to cheat them, so they over-react, and before you know it 5 baht is a significant amount of money. Their catchphrase is 'It's not the money, it's the principle'.

Technically they are mentally ill so really you should pity them rather than mock them, but sometimes it's hard to resist, partly because they take themselves so seriously but mostly because they're so funny getting all worked up about nothing.

Hi Chianmaijoe, Always the Philosopher and Psychiatrist in the latter remark.

you seem to know people better than they know themselves,maybe you study

people,listen to their conversations,then pronounce your judgment upon them.

regards Worgeordie

• Like 1

Observe the Chinese, talk to local business owners, and you will find they are as cheap as they come, putting these "kineow" farangs to shame. The Chinese will demand discounts for Thai massages,180 instead of 200 THB, whereas the cheap farang will pay the full 200 and no tip or maybe 20THB.

I used to tease and give a little crap to cheap farangs who wouldn't tip. Now I say more power to them, and I myself have cut the amount of my tips by quite a bit. Some day I'll join the enlightened few.

The Chinese were known to be cheap long ago. About 15 years ago, I was in Pokhara in central Nepal. I had been hanging out for the day with a group of about 5 or 6 young Chinese that were traveling in Nepal. We were in a small shop and I watched the group do some hard bargaining with the shop owner. After about 20 minutes of bargaining, we left and they had bought nothing despite the hard bargaining. I was staying in Pokhara for a few days and went by the shop again a couple of days later. I spoke to the owner about what I had seen and he said he always hated to have Chinese come to his shop because they always wanted to bargain to get to the last rupee and then seldom bought anything. From what I have seen of the Chinese tourists in Chiang Mai, they haven't changed much in the past decade plus.

David

i disagree. i know quite a few business people here in C.M. they are quite pleased with the Chinese tourism at the moment. yes the Chinese do drive a hard bargain but they do end up purchasing in the end. they buy a great deal of souvenirs to take back to China to give friends and family. they buy literally everything there is to buy. i was in the Post Office the other day and they were buying postage stamps depicting the King as souvenirs. the guy at the Post Office said he figured he had sold close to 20K Bath worth of stamps so far that morning to Chinese tourists. they buy large amounts of everything.

• Like 2

Tipping is not a Thai custom (the country we are in).

Tipping is not an English custom (the country I am from).

You do what your culture tells you, and leave the rest of us alone.

America almost destroyed the world (cold war), and is still doing it's best to ruin what is left (killing Muslims, using the earth's resources), we don't need you telling us how to behave abroad.

Edited by FiftyTwo
  • Like 1

Tipping is not a Thai custom (the country we are in).

Tipping is not an English custom (the country I am from).

You do what your culture tells you, and leave the rest of us alone.

I would agree with that .... in the distant past.

When i arrived in Thailand (a long time ago) all the travel books said that tipping was not necessary in Thailand. Even these days my Thai wife tells me to leave only 20 baht maximum no matter the price on the bill. But 'these' days I leave at least 10% of the bill value (assuming no service charge - then I leave nothing). If service and food quality exceptional then I up to 20%

Yes times change and cultures change. I am not as generous as you but I do agree with your wife. To not leave it I feel like I am in the wrong. People talk about how much money we add to the economy. Well it is really felt more by the tips we leave. The rest is just to support an existence economy. I can afford it so why not. I will on occasion leave more if the bill is large. It means a lot to the people who receive it and it really doesn't cost me enough money to make a difference in the way I live.

How ever as Nancy pointed out there are a lot of teachers here earning 20,000 to 30,000 per month plus expats living here on small pensions who it would make a difference to. Myself as an expat meeting the financial requirements can obviously afford it.

It is part of my culture that I have brought over with me and so far no Thai has got upset with me for using it and I have to admit that I have changed. 20 baht is cheap compared to what I paid at home.