'Keep children out of protests'

Lite Beer

BANGKOK SHUTDOWN
'Keep children out of protests'
Tanpisit Lerdbumrungchai
The Sunday Nation

30224638-01_big.gif

Children hold placards with protest messages at an anti-government rally site. Such image of adults bringing their kids to join the ongoing protest has become quite common but experts warn of negative impact.

BANGKOK: -- Experts warn the high noise levels, overcrowded conditions and bad language can have negative impact

Some parents have brought their children to join the anti-government protests in the hope that they might learn about democracy and be part of the historic events, but experts warn the experience could have a negative effect on children's mental and physical health due to the exposure to loud noise and over-crowded conditions. Children might also end up copying the bad behaviour of some protesters, they said.

"Grandpa, tomorrow is my day off, please take us with you to the protests," 67-year-old Boonserm Wong-ruampaiboon quoted his two granddaughters, aged 5 and 9, as saying. It was his reason for taking them to the rally site at Bangkok's Ratchaprasong intersection, he said. However, he added that as a precaution, he only took them during daytime and would return home before evening when the crowd began to get much larger.

Images of parents protesting or sitting with their children in front of the protest stages - listening to passionate speeches through booming speakers - is not uncommon.

Boonserm believes his granddaughters - although still very young - were able to absorb the atmosphere and understand that the protests were against corruption.

While he admitted that some of the speeches were coarse, he said that daytime speeches tended to be milder and there was a lot more musical entertainment. If rude remarks were made, Boonserm said he would try to distract his granddaughters' attention away from the rude remarks.

Another demonstrator, Patcharawan Padpai, who brought her five-year-old son to join the Pathumwan intersection rally, said she came during the daytime when there were not too many people. She said she would leave quickly if the situation began to deteriorate into violence.

She said she believed children should participate in the rally so that they could see the process of positive change, and so that they would learn that wrongdoers could not stand in the way of a peaceful society. Her son had also asked to join the rally, she added. Asked why he wanted to join the rally, the boy said he wanted to wave a flag and blow his whistle.

Dr Panpimol Wipulakorn, deputy director of the Department of Mental Health, said children aged 1-6 could only understand simple matters and that those who attended the rally with their parents would only be able to absorb the atmosphere. However, children aged 7-12 might understand more through simple explanations and parental guidance, she said.

Panpimol cited as an example a child's experience in choosing a fellow classmate to be "leader of the classroom". Children, she said, would be able to understand that the purpose of having a student as the leader was to take care of fellow classmates, but if that leader did something wrong, then that might lead to changes which could be peacefully adopted through discussion.

An explanation of this kind, which was relevant to the direct experience of a child, could help them to understand the protest situation more clearly, she said.

Panpimol also warned that children might pick up rude words and behaviour, and it was therefore important for parents to explain that some of the remarks made at the rallies were inappropriate in daily life.

She also urged parents to leave the rally sites from time to time, so that their children could take time off to relax and play. However, she added that taking very young children to the rallies was inappropriate, and that they should be left at home with a babysitter.

She also warned that prolonged exposure to loud noises beyond the safety level of 50 decibels might affect their hearing, while overcrowded conditions amid changing weather conditions could lead to them catching flu.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-01-19

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Some parents have brought their children to join the anti-government protests in the hope that they might learn about democracy and be part of the historic events, but experts warn the experience could have a negative effect on children's mental and physical health due to the exposure to loud noise and over-crowded conditions. Children might also end up copying the bad behaviour of some protesters, they said."

Nothing is as bad for children's health as the exposure to the shinaclan government for years.

Anyone have the straight dope on all that whistle blowing?...does it scare our little furry friends like fireworks on New Years? If so, let loose the animal lovers on the protesters. They'd get my full support.

I'm a furry shirt.

Including those big children like Suthep who spreads his lies to incite the protesters. Not only that but also threatening the children of the government families. What a shameful example of a leader he is.

The kids shouldn't be exposed to any of this full stop, rantings of a madman.

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE 8.2 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

You know the red shirts did this in 2010 too? Have the same opinion about them?

• Like 1

Including those big children like Suthep who spreads his lies to incite the protesters. Not only that but also threatening the children of the government families. What a shameful example of a leader he is.

They exposed kids to the rantings of a madman while occupying several major intersections for several days? I don't remember that.

However, when it was hitting the fan in 2010, I remember seeing kids waving flags and such and feeling shocked at their parents' irresponsibility. I feel the same way now.

They exposed kids to the rantings of a madman while occupying several major intersections for several days? I don't remember that.

However, when it was hitting the fan in 2010, I remember seeing kids waving flags and such and feeling shocked at their parents' irresponsibility. I feel the same way now.

Yes in fact I do! Children should not be exposed to such turmoil from an emotional, psychological, and physical point of view. The subconscious mind is a delicate yet dangerous area, where thoughts and actions are stored and on occasions acted upon in future years.

2010 or 2014, two wrongs does not make one right. Red, yellow or white, pushing children to the front or even keeping them in the middle of a conflict is despicable. But as we see, a lot of childish things going on these days in Bangkok.

2010 or 2014, two wrongs does not make one right. Red, yellow or white, pushing children to the front or even keeping them in the middle of a conflict is despicable. But as we see, a lot of childish things going on these days in Bangkok.

Guys you do realise Thais are not shielded from any of this kind of thing here right ? just look at the papers or news to see how graphic things are here. They don't have any concept of psychological or emotional damage. Its partly the reason they are the way they are... only partly but its there.

• Like 1

Experts warn the high noise levels, overcrowded conditions and bad language can have negative impact

I would be more concerned that the Guns and Hand Grenades would have a negative impact on health.

Yes, children were exposed to that for 4 weeks. I take it you also remember the kids being put in the queue to donate their blood so it could be thrown all over Abhisit's house? Two wrongs don't make a right so please research before you start with the tit for tat comments. It seems with many on here that in order to think about what is happening at the Dem protest, they have to create some spare mental capacity by erasing the nightmare of what happened in 2010. You only remember the kids waving flags, not with syringes stuck in their arms having their blood taken. How funny.

• Like 2

Only difference between now and 2010 is that the red shirts took babies to hold up at barricades as human shields.

• Like 2

That's a bit rich -anything to say about your transparent Leader ???

The PM has not paid the farmers for over 4 months, so what are their children supposed to eat ??? your leader wants to care for the people--she says that so much.

Edited by ginjag

The PM has not paid the farmers for over 4 months, so what are their children supposed to eat ??? your leader wants to care for the people--she says that so much.

So you think there not enough rice around to feed this children? You really should think before you post such a question. Tell me anywhere in Thailand that you can not find rice. Of course you can't.

• Like 1

In 2010 - during the siege of Rathaprason, children were seen erecting wire barricades. Here they are seen carrying placards. Which image is the more distressing message to children and which is the more edifying and constructive ?

The kids here see far more violence on Thai soap operas on TV. Brainwashed into thinking the soap opera is normal style living.

So you believe Suthep is a worse example ??? Kids here exposed to TV learn far more bad habits than Suthep could ever teach.

Someone ought to have a BKK shutdown because of Thai soap operas shown.

• Like 1

The kids here see far more violence on Thai soap operas on TV. Brainwashed into thinking the soap opera is normal style living.

So you believe Suthep is a worse example ??? Kids here exposed to TV learn far more bad habits than Suthep could ever teach.

Someone ought to have a BKK shutdown because of Thai soap operas shown.

Now thats something id protest about, I HATE thai soaps and all they so for the brainwashing here. bah.gif

• Like 2

So you think there not enough rice around to feed this children? You really should think before you post such a question. Tell me anywhere in Thailand that you can not find rice. Of course you can't.

So your saying that's all Thai children should eat----very nutritious --so you should think before YOU post, kids eat more than rice.

When you were a kid did you only eat potatoes ????

DID I mention RICE NO I didn't so again think before YOU post. My post answered the other post honestly.

comparing someone before they think. that's what you did.

You mind is nowhereman.

"Some parents have brought their children to join the anti-government protests in the hope that they might learn about democracy and be part of the historic events, but experts warn the experience could have a negative effect on children's mental and physical health due to the exposure to loud noise and over-crowded conditions. Children might also end up copying the bad behaviour of some protesters, they said."

Nothing is as bad for children's health as the exposure to the shinaclan government for years.

Read the post just prior to yours and make a comparison. You'll note that it was a reasonable and balanced analysis of the current situation directly related to the news piece, whilst yours is exactly the kind of kneejerk pettiness that we hope to steer children of both camps away from, at least if this country is to become / remain unified.

Still, I don't suppose any of that is a concern to you now that you've had another pointless little rant, is it? Next time, why not just kick the nearest dog and save us from more of your innane drivel?

• Like 2

One of my earliest memories is being carried on my mother's shoulders during an anti-dictatorship march in my home country, banging pots instead of blowing whistles.

Of course it helped that there were no "third hands" trying to scare away the protesters with shootings and bombings.

Edited by AleG
  • Like 1

''...in the hope that they might learn about democracy and be part of the historic events..."

kids would learn more about democracy by reading a dictionary or sleeping. At least they are spending some time with family.

de·moc·ra·cy

: a form of government in which people choose leaders by voting

: a country ruled by democracy

: an organization or situation in which everyone is treated equally and has equal rights